PDA

View Full Version : Trip Without Little Guy?

wdwcarrie
01-27-2010, 03:09 PM
My DH & I are tentatively planning a long weekend trip with another couple for next October. Here's my dilemma at the moment, and I need Intercotees to help me get over it! My now-four-month-old son will be just over a year old by then, and I feel horrible planning a trip without him! He will be more than well taken care of with his grandparents, I promise; I am just worried that it's mean not to bring him along (and that I'll spend the whole time being reminded of him). We are hoping to take him for the first time when he's about three.

Am I overreacting? Am I a mean parent? Help!

KylesMom
01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Goodness, I don't think "mean" is the right word! If you're comfortable leaving your DS with his grandparents, then by all means do so - after all, it's not like he'll know you went to Disney World without him! :D He'll never need to know exactly where you went . . . and after all, it's just a long weekend, right?!

On the other hand, just make sure you can handle it - not only being away from him, but not regretting that you didn't take him with. I think that's where I'd have the problem . . . getting there & wishing I could share everything with him! But don't forget about DH either - you two will probably be ready to spend a nice weekend together without the stress that a baby inherently brings with it! :mickey:

vicster
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't feel bad about not taking him - a 1 year old will not get anything out of WDW. Parents deserve a break themselves so go and enjoy and think of the good time your little one will have with the grandparents.

SBETigg
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
It's healthy for you both to have some time of your own. It will be a great experience for your son to have some time with his grandparents, and it's great for your marriage for the two of you to get some nice time alone together. Enjoy!

Rekenna
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
My DH and I have 3 boys and we are getting ready to go on our 3rd long weekend alone to WDW. The first time we both saw alot of things that reminded us of the boys. Now, we can't wait to leave! :)

It's good for you and DH to have time alone, WDW is awesome with just adults. By the time you are ready to go you said your DS would be 1-he'll be fine with Gramps and Gran-they will probably have a great time just the 3 of them. So you are definetly not mean, you guys will have a great time and so will he. No worries, have fun!:mickey:

wdwcarrie
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I know he's going to have a great time with his Grandma and Grandpa. And...since we will have two years' worth of Disney Visa Rewards, we'll have lots of souvenir money ready to spend on the little man! (Santa brought him mouse ears--with his name on them--for his first Christmas).

diz_girl
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I couldn't do it, but DH and I have never left our DS with anyone for more than an afternoon. He's 2 1/2 now and I just can't yet do more than that.

But your son is only four months-old now, and by the time he turns one, don't be surprised if you've decided that you need a break, even if it's a short one.

October will be a good time for you and your DH to get away. You'll really need the time to yourselves and the F&WF is the perfect way to do it. Although it would be fun bringing him along, he won't 'get' WDW at that age and luckily won't remember that you left him at home. Three years-old will be a perfect tim to introduce him to WDW and you will have great memories (maybe he will too). He'll be fine without you for a few days. Have a great time.

brownie
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
We've made two trips without our kids when they were younger. I had no problems then, though now that they are older and can do everything I'd probably feel some guilt for a short period of time if we were to go without them.