PDA

View Full Version : Free upgrades question for those of you who have gotten them.

Lynn J Mc
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I wonder if you have a better chance of getting a free upgrade if you haven't made lots of specific room requests to start with.

Iluvpooh
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been upgrade twice both times a CSR-the first time it was my Honeymoon and the second time my 5 year anniversary. We were there in October and I think the room upgrade had more to do with October being Convention season and they had rather upgrade a DIsney Couple than a single business man staying at the same resort.

Polynesian Dweller
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
From my hotelier background, upgrades are given based on the business purposes of the hotel. This can be for operational reasons (ie maintenance issues, staffing issues etc) goodwill, or simply trying to increase sales of higher priced rooms. The latter is based on the thought that if you tried a deluxe room once the next time you come you ate more likely to book that level.

in iluvpooh's case it could be that a few more conventioneers showed up than expected. The hotel tries to keep them together and other guests a bit further away. So they move you. It's a good business practice, believe me.

In short, there is no magic formula to get an upgrade and it is always OK to ask when you arrive. But never ask for a free upgrade. That's a great way to make sure you don't get one. It's always best to not ask before you get to the hotel. You are also less likely to get it if you give the impression you expect it.

You only get these if you meet the hotel's current business reasons for giving them. That's the bottom line and Disney hotels are businesses like all the others.

BigRedDad
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Mine was our Honeymoon 2 months after 9/11. First, WDW screwed up our reservation for the Contemporary. They canceled the reservation, but had no record of canceling it :confused:. Good thing I found out 2 weeks before getting there. All deluxes were booked for Thanksgiving. We were offered AKL at the rate of our original Moderate resort. Well, arguing and complaining as high as I could got no where and wedding plans got in the way of complaining more. When we arrived at AKL, our reservation was flagged. We were asked to meet with the manager. My wife looked around, I went and talked with him in an office. They tried everything to get us back to CR MK view, Poly MK view, GF MK view, but nothing was available and there were no cancellations. He even called the other resorts with me there to confirm. We were upgraded at AKL from a parking lot view to 2nd floor, just to the right of Arusha rock, with king bed. This was all with the original cost of our Moderate resort reservation (I think $110 per night). We were comped a few minor things here and there as well: free resort mugs, free dinner at Boma.

My experience was unique. It was due to a failure by them and they did not deny it. They did go out of their way. They even were willing to work around the flight issues after 9/11. We almost had to fly in right after our wedding because flights were cut in half and moving people around was a logistical nightmare.

c&d
01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
We were upgraded at AKL. We went from a standard view to pool view. We believe it was because we were there in December 2002. Business was still way down and the resort was pretty empty.

Lynn J Mc
01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
My thinking is that if you have a lot of requests, like ground floor, certain building, near transportation, etc. You would be less likely to get an upgrade if they had to make some for the previously stated reasons - ie - overbooking, conventions, etc. I would never ask for an upgrade. I'm just wondering wouldn't it be easier on the staff to give it to someone who didn't have a lot of requests made already.

MNNHFLTX
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Hard to say. I rarely make any extensive requests, at most I might ask to be in a room near a certain area (like the lobby or the pool) and have never been upgraded. I don't think it's something that you can strategize for--it's just something that occasionally happens, depending on the TPTB.

Lynn J Mc
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not trying to figure out how to get an upgrade. I'm just interested if my theory is correct.

MNNHFLTX
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not trying to figure out how to get an upgrade. I'm just interested if my theory is correct.Okay. Well then, based on my experience I would say that no, making fewer requests does not increase the likelihood of a room upgrade. :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Okay. Well then, based on my experience I would say that no, making fewer requests does not increase the likelihood of a room upgrade. :mickey:

I totally agree. You get an upgrade at any hotel, including mine, for business reasons of the hotel. If you fit into the criteria for an upgrade you are more likely to get it. The number of requests on your reservation means nothing. So no, fewer requests does not increase the likelihood.

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I was upgraded at the BC from Standard to water view, and at the Poly, from GVC to LVC. At the BC, no upgrade was requested, it just happened. At the Poly, an upgrade was inquired about, and offered to pay for if available. It was just given to us.