PDA

View Full Version : Worried about SSR?

Julie_Mouse
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
It looks like we're going to staying in a 2-BR villa at SSR for our upcoming trip in May, with 8 people (2 families, all children 20+ years). But, after reading a couple of threads about SSR and OKW I'm a little worried now :(

First, I'm wondering about the buses. I've read some bad things about how the buses are always packed, they take too long, stops at the parks are too far away, etc. Is there anyone who has stayed in May-ish that can tell me about the buses?

Also, how bad is the hike to the main building where the CS restaurant is? What building do we want to be in?

The CS brings up another concern: I've read that the food selection is very poor at Artist's Palette. Is it really that bad? Probably the only thing we'll be eating there would be breakfast (although we will likely bring in-room breakfast as well), and maybe the occasional late-night snack. I remember (I think!) enjoying the ice cream they served at ASMu; do they have an ice cream station at SSR?

I'm totally obsessing, but my trip is 104 days out, so I've got to do something to pass the time! :mickey: Any info to assuage my fears would be most helpful :)

Touchdown
01-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I dont know about SSR but Ive been to OKW tons of time. First of all, the bus stops for all the DVC resorts are always the closest stops at the parks, always.

As for crowds and taking too long, there are multiple stops at the resort so yes a bus ride will be longer then going to a one stop resort, however its really not that bad. The only time I run into crowds is at the end of the day at closing which Im sure is true no matter what resort you go to. Ive never had to wait more then the next bus to get back to OKW.

DizneyRox
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm no fan of SSR, but not for most of the reasons you mention.

I don't like the "moderate" feel to the resort. The muliple bus stops and center building doesn't appeal to me at all. Bus transport has always been confusing, one time I thought I was going to carriage house and ended up at DTD. I'm sure there's some sense to the mayhem, but I don't think it was explained.

The food though, I actually like. I wouldn't put them down for the selection, I've been pretty happy with it. The problem is, having to get there from your room. It's sometimes quite a hike!

The 2BR unit was very spacious though. It's tough to go down to a 1BR after staying in a 2. I don't know if it made up for the transportation though. That really puts me off about SSR.

Joannelet
01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I think you will be okay with the distance of the rooms from the main building with the restaurant. If you had younger ones I'd say ask to be near the main building. This past time we had a 2 bedroom and were about a 5 minute walk from the main building. I can't remember the name of our section though. I did have my parents who are older and a one year old so I had previously asked to be somewhere near the main building. When we went before my baby was born we stayed in Congress Park section and its closer to the marketplace entrance. We were over the "bridge" per se from the main building but we really didn't use Artist Palette too often then because we just would walk to DTD to eat etc.
The food is fine at artist palette. My family has never complained about the food there. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner there and all the selections were good.

As far as the buses. They are awful and everytime I go I try to give them a chance and then we end up having an awful experience. you can read it in one of my trip reports from my trip the first week of December.
As long as we have a car there we will be driving from our resort.

PinKy
01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Just a note about the buses. Our family has been going to WDW and riding the bus system there for something like 9 years now. We fly and so we don't like to rent a car - so we always take the buses. We've never - really - never had a problem. Yes - on occasion - especially if you're staying at the value resorts and its evening and you're headed back to your resort with the masses - you'll have to wait on a bus. Yes - they do get crowded at prime times - like when the park closes and of course that is a pain. But I don't think we've ever had a bus encounter that warranted a complaint (especially when staying at a DVC or Deluxe!). Now - that being said - we're also from a public transit riding city. We take buses regularly when at home. Some of what everyone "complains" about - is just the nature of having a bus system in place. They're not instant - you have to wait for one. You just have to have a little patience and plan for some travel time when going to the parks. We always enjoy the fact that we don't have to rent a car! Bonus! Plus its always environmentally friendly to take public transit! This is just our point of view, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the buses as long as you know what to expect. :mickey:

NH Disneyfan
01-25-2010, 07:40 PM
We are just back from SSR and a 9 day visit. We got VERY lucky with our room and based on our experience, we'd go there again.

We stayed in The Springs which is the area closest to the pool, dining, carriage house. We had a 2BR #3501/3503 and it was the closest room possible to the pool and Springs bus stop. First floor with walk-out patio. I watched the buses from my patio but when inside, never heard them a bit.

Buses - We missed some busses by 1 minute because we saw it drive away. I consider this plain old bad luck. Within 20 minutes every time, another bus came. That's what they advertise. Around the resort there are 4 stops. Coming in from the parks the loop is as follows:
The Grandstand
The Carousel
The Paddock
Congress Park
The Springs
The Theme Parks

Being in The Springs in January, the bus was never crowded but in high attendance times, this might be a bit dicey. Since people are dropped and picked up in this order, the bus could always be packed.

The walking isn't that bad, if you like to walk. I'd say within 5 minutes all the way around the resort. 10 minutes with little kids. If you like the main pool and the dining, you'll want to stay in the Springs.

Artist Pallet - I was not thrilled with this place, but that's me. There were flatbread pizzas and sandwiches along with a nightly special dinner. The dinner looked good, my wife had the Pork loin BBQ. I had a roast beef sandwich, could've been better. I loved the selection at the Turf Club, but we never dined there. A 10-15 minute walk to Downtown will give you many food options!

We were concerned with SSR. But now, not so much. It was a great place. Pool was awesome. Spa was awesome. Bus stops were well located. Travel time wasn't bad. All-in-All, good stuff.

NOTE: The Paddock quiet pool is being renovated beginning this coming spring. It will be a construction zone so beware. I suggest you call and request a zone of the resort to be placed in. The Paddock Pool is directly behind the "bridge" pathway across the big pond. If you stay in Paddock, it might be noisy and less-than-comfortable.

Have FUN!!! It is Disney, it is great!