PDA

View Full Version : someone stole my jacket at the Poly

LoriSan
01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
not sure where to put this. Not really a trip report, but since it happened at the Poly, I'll put it here.

Anyway, someone stole my jacket at the Poly! We arrived early for our ADR at O'Hanas, so we sat down the area on the first level behind Bell services where they have a TV and activities for the kids. I parked our stroller right next to the credenza, and DH sat in the seat just a few feet away. I took off my jacket and laid it across the stroller. About 20 minutes later we realized it was gone! The front desk staff kept saying that I must have lost it and that it would turn up, but if course it didn't. I wore it to the resort and remember lying it on the stroller.

The worst part is that it was actually DH's jacket that I was using for the trip. It was a very unique heavy Phila Eagles sweatjacket (that I paid quite a bit for :mad:). I kept checking Lost and Found, hoping that the creep that grabbed it didn't realize that it was an Eagles jacket and wasn't a fan and couldn't bring themselves to wear it. No luck. So, I was without a jacket in the chilly evenings and was so upset about DH's jacket.

Why do some people have to do things like that? :sad:

SBETigg
01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Creepy indeed, but you said it-- it was unique. I'm guessing another Eagles fan was in the area. Very unsportsmanlike conduct! I'm sorry it happened to you, and it's sad when things happen that make you mistrustful of others.

LoriSan
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Needless to say, I spent the remainder of my trip scouring the crowds for someone wearing the jacket. They are lucky I didn't see them. :mad:

MMFreak
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
A similar situtation happened to us during one of our stays at the ASM. My daughter who is Diabetic left her little clutch on the table and when we returned someone had taken it. We were quiet upset because the only thing that it contained were her diabetes supplies for that day. We hoped that once the person who happened to take it looked inside and saw that it was someones medicine that they would return at least the medical supplies but no such luck. We had more insulin at the room but we had to spend half a day getting to the pharmacy to purchase a new meter and testing strips. Needless to say we learned a few valuable lessons that day. The first being just because it is the happiest place on earth do not assume everyone is honest.

magicofdisney
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I lost a jacket I had laid across my stroller as well. I was thinking someone took it because they were hoping to find something valuable in the pocket. Or maybe they were just cold and forgot to bring their own. The difference between you and I is mine was cheap but I was still furious about the situation. I would have been doubly ticked if it had been expensive and/or sentimental. So I can totally sympathize with you. It boggles my mind that someone could be so bold as to walk up and just take it.

Mousemates
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry this happend to you...but it is a good (thou sad :() reminder to the rest of us that Disney really is still part of the real world where there are both professional bad guys who lurk about in search of anything of value they can make a dollar off of and simple opportunists looking to get something for nothing.

If folks will steal from church food pantries and clothes closets or from sick folks and worried family members at hospitals (and they do), you can certainly expect that there will also be a few "nefarious types and ne'er do wells" looking to do the same things to vacationers who let their guard down at WDW.

MOJoe
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry this happend to you...but it is a good (thou sad :() reminder to the rest of us that Disney really is still part of the real world where there are both professional bad guys who lurk about in search of anything of value they can make a dollar off of and simple opportunists looking to get something for nothing.

If folks will steal from church food pantries and clothes closets or from sick folks and worried family members at hospitals (and they do), you can certainly expect that there will also be a few "nefarious types and ne'er do wells" looking to do the same things to vacationers who let their guard down at WDW.

A word to the wise, to be sure.......
But in spite of this, i feel unthreatened, safer, and less likely to be suspicious of ne'er do wells in WDW than any other vacation spot on earth. There are so many good and decent people that live, work and play here, that when something bad happens, it just seems more wrong.

#1donaldfan
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
.....yep, there is always some scum, low life, zero moral acting person in every single aspect of our lives.....WDW cannot be the exception and this truly proves it....however we just don't want to think of that while at the world....in my business I always have to be suspicious, that's just the way it is, and with so many times there, I've always thought of those long lines of strollers, with all kinds of stuff hanging from them, is just prime fodder to be had....I think some people would steal the gum out of your mouth if they wanted it bad enough..... nuff said !!:mad:

Hammer
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Moderator alert !!

Everyone, please be mindful of your wording in your posts. What happened to the original poster is terrible, but let's be careful not to result to stereotypes.

EpcotChic23
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
2 years ago my brother got pick pocketed getting off the bus to DTD. He did not even notice his wallet was missing until he was trying to pay for his merchandise. He went back to the hotel to report is missing. That night when he went back to his room the wallet was returned from a cast member, without his money. When talking to a cast memeber about where it was, it was found in the garbage in the Pop Century. They assume it was an "amature" because the credit cards were still in the wallet and the wallet was a Burberry wallet which itself cost $400. Long story short it ruined my brothers day but it could have been much worse.

mouseketeer mom
01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. That can sure take some of the shine off of the vacation. On two seperate occaisions we were victims at WDW too. The first was at the Poly in the lounge. My husband left his backpack with walkie talkies attached. As we were boarding the monorail, he realized he left it behind. We ran back to the lounge, the backpack was there, but no walkie talkies. :( Then the second time, my husbands iphone dropped from his lap on his way out of Hall of Presidents. He realized this about 2 mins later, after we had exited. The CM"s helped him scour the rows, and someone must've lifted it on their way out, and didn't turn it in. He knows it was on his lap, as he shut it off as the show started. Very sad.

Zawadi
01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
DH had his Ellesse flip flops stolen from Blizzard Beach. They were under the chair that his father sat snoozing in, by the exit of Downhill Double Dipper, so not exactly a quiet area of the park. DH had to break all the rules and board the WDW transport back to the resort barefoot. We asked at lost and found later in the trip, but no joy.

mom2morgan
01-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm so sorry! I think Disney is probably one of the least likely places to have that happen, but lousy people can be found anywhere :-( Not Disney related, but my daughter just found that out today - a watch she got for Christmas was stolen from the change room while she was playing basketball. When I asked why she left it out in the open, she said "Because 11 year old girls don't steal!" poor kid :-(

brownie
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
You would hope things like this wouldn't happen at Walt Disney World, but they can only keep so much of the real world at bay. Sorry your jacket walked away. It's really bad that it had to happen at Walt Disney World while you're on vacation!

Granny Jill A
01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Well that really stinks. I'm a big believer in karma - what goes around, comes around. The person who filched your jacket will pay for it, maybe not right away, but someday.

Treat yourself to a better, newer, more unique jacket. One is out there waiting for you.

BigRedDad
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
The Happiest Place on Earth also had a child kidnapping ring in the early 70s. I never knew about it, too young. I guy I work for was strictly on child abduction security when this was happening. Since it was only MK and they could control the flow of exit traffic, they were able to catch the ring. Very little if any info on it on the web.

Even the real world cannot be kept from WDW. There are professional thieving rings there and it is difficult to manage especially when it is busier.

LVT
01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
The price of a annual passport probably makes this easier for professional pickpockets. It is fertile ground.

Ms. Mode
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
.....yep, there is always some scum, low life, zero moral acting person in every single aspect of our lives.....WDW cannot be the exception and this truly proves it....however we just don't want to think of that while at the world....in my business I always have to be suspicious, that's just the way it is, and with so many times there, I've always thought of those long lines of strollers, with all kinds of stuff hanging from them, is just prime fodder to be had....I think some people would steal the gum out of your mouth if they wanted it bad enough..... nuff said !!:mad:

I admit that I too am amazed at the trust of the stroller people. I've passed large numbers of strollers with all kinds of goods hanging off them unattended.

magicofdisney
01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
The Happiest Place on Earth also had a child kidnapping ring in the early 70s. I never knew about it, too young. I guy I work for was strictly on child abduction security when this was happening. Since it was only MK and they could control the flow of exit traffic, they were able to catch the ring. Very little if any info on it on the web.

Even the real world cannot be kept from WDW. There are professional thieving rings there and it is difficult to manage especially when it is busier.
I'm not surprised, but I am. I think what surprises me most is how this info is kept under wrap.

Joannelet
01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
There are good and bad people in Disney. Its just the way it is. You can't be too trusting when you are there. People realize you are on vacation and have your guard down.....
I did however lose my cell phone (somewhere in Fantasyland or haunted mansion, I wasn't sure where exactly)
I went to the front of the park (like an hour later) to lost and found (I wanted it to make its way there if it was turned in) and thankfully it was there!!!
So of course there are good and bad stories. I'm sorry that this happened to you. (a couple of months ago there was a horrible story in an orlando newspaper about a guy with a gun in DTD. Security caught the guy considering he put it down on the counter in the bathroom and a WDW guest saw it!! Can you imagine!!! It ended up he was a member of a gang.

I know you want to be trusting since you are in Disney but that is where bad things can occur because of that mindset.

There are good and bad people everywhere and yes in Disney as well.

IloveJack
01-27-2010, 10:04 AM
I admit that I too am amazed at the trust of the stroller people. I've passed large numbers of strollers with all kinds of goods hanging off them unattended.

I agree with this. I never paid attention until we became stroller people. I never leave my diaper bag with the stroller. It carries all my personal items so that I don't have to carry a purse, and I have diabetic supplies and my camera in it at all times (not to mention the normal baby things).
However, I was amazed at how many people leave their things with their stroller! Truthfully, I'd probably be more upset at losing my camera/memory cards than anything, but I wouldn't want any of it stollen! It's like that at our local zoo, also. I've noticed that I'm one of the few who carry their bags in the reptile house, playground area, etc.
Guess everyone likes to believe the best of people.

SnowWSue
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I have a very pleasant story. I left my camcorder at a table at Downtown Disney. I didn't realize that I had left it until the following morning. And guess what??? I called lost and found and there it was. So, that goes to show that there are good, honest people in this world.:blush:

eandrsmom
01-27-2010, 09:02 PM
On two separate occassions, we accidentally left the camera/camcorder in Epcot pavillions. Each time, we realized about 30 minutes later. Luckily, they were turned in on both occassions. There are good people out there. I'm sorry to hear about your jacket. Thanks for the warning, I will be more careful as to what I hang on the stroller during our next trip.

DisneyorBust
01-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Another positive story, a few trips ago DW inadvertanly left our camera in Mission:Space. After realizing what had happened, I returned to the attraction and checked with the CM's. Sure enough an honest guest had turned it in! :thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Sorry, this happened to you, but I do have another honest guest story. I left my Costa Del Mar sunglasses in the storage bag at EE, and didn't realize I didn't have them until we were leaving the gift shop. I ran back and the person who rode after me gave them to the CM at the exit. Very nice considering they were brand new.

On another note-I swear I saw a young man a few years ago try and steal a backpack from another guest who was sitting on a bench trying to feed her son a Mickey Bar. He just kept looking at the pack and looking to see if she was busy ect.. I think he was going to just get up and walk away with it. So, my DH walked over and pretended to trip over the backpack and asked if it was hers. He picked it up and handed it to her and the (maybe) would be thief just got up and walked away.

Joannelet
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
On another note-I swear I saw a young man a few years ago try and steal a backpack from another guest who was sitting on a bench trying to feed her son a Mickey Bar. He just kept looking at the pack and looking to see if she was busy ect.. I think he was going to just get up and walk away with it. So, my DH walked over and pretended to trip over the backpack and asked if it was hers. He picked it up and handed it to her and the (maybe) would be thief just got up and walked away.

I love this story! Nice job! :)

kemps@wdw
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Who knows why people do what they do! But I hope the the employee (or hopefull ex-employee) @ the WL that took my laptop out of my luggage (in the "secure" luggage holding area), is enjoying his spoils!

Tinkerfreak
02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Who knows why people do what they do! But I hope the the employee (or hopefull ex-employee) @ the WL that took my laptop out of my luggage (in the "secure" luggage holding area), is enjoying his spoils!

That is terrible! Was anything ever done about this? Is there a more secure way of having them hold a laptop? Can you take it to the front desk? At least they would know for sure that you had checked one in and it would have it's own separate ticket stub.

DISNEYFIX
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM

That stinks.:mad:

That is terrible! Was anything ever done about this? Is there a more secure way of having them hold a laptop? Can you take it to the front desk? At least they would know for sure that you had checked one in and it would have it's own separate ticket stub.

What she said.:popcorn: