PDA

View Full Version : Adding more points...opinions needed

TooGoofy
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi all,
We own at AKV (160 points) and BCV (50 points). We bought AKV direct from Disney and BCV through resale. We would like to add some more points (perhaps 50), specifically at BCV. However, I know that Disney is not currently selling BCV points.

Would it make more sense to add on at AKV, as I know these are available, or just put my name on a waiting list to buy BCV points when they might become available through Disney? Or should I try to go through resale again?

Helpful opinions and advice are welcome!

Thanks!

DizneyRox
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
If you want BCV then either waitlist or resale. I think you would be surprised at how soon BCV points come through Disney. All Disney needs to do is a ROFR on someone selling BCV points and then sell them back to you.

BCV is pretty popular and if you need them for home resort perks then that's what you need.

Personally I like all my points at one location. I've never had issues staying elsewhere, but the first time I do, I bet I rethink that.

TooGoofy
01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
We found out that Disney had Beach Club points in inventory and went for it! We now own a total of 100 Beach Club points!
:cloud9:

Horizon93
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the add on! We own at AKV and are planning on a BWV add on later this year so that we can get a reservation during food and wine.

MinnieMommie
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I would go with BC since it sounds as if that is actually your first choice. Check out the Intercot sponsor The Timeshare Store. They have small point allocations which come up from time to time at BC.

Also check with your DVC guide. If you get it through DVC you will have the same use year. There are pros and cons for getting the points through resale and directly from DVC. Weigh the differences and do what works best for you. :mickey:

MarkC
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Something to consider-- if you buy through the Timeshare Store you may have to wait and will play closing costs. I don't believe you have any closing costs buying directly through Disney. And I would buy where I want to stay the most.

tngilmer
01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Disney sells all the DVC resorts, you just may have to wait a week or two for the ones not currently being marketed. What do you think Disney does with all the resort sales that are ROFRed?

DizneyRox
01-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Disney sells all the DVC resorts, you just may have to wait a week or two for the ones not currently being marketed. What do you think Disney does with all the resort sales that are ROFRed?
Actually, I think they stock up on requests and then ROFR a contract to fill them. Right now, Disney is haing trouble selling what they have, never mind taking more off the market. They would rather collect dues than sit on inventory.

If I were buying resale, I'd lowball until I got what I needed. If Disney ROFRs it, they have to buy it, so it's out of circulation. If they don't, then you get it. They will only ROFR so much... The seller needs to approve it, but I've got to guess the sellers are in a bind to have to sell it.

Works for everyone!

DVC2004
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Actually, I think they stock up on requests and then ROFR a contract to fill them. Right now, Disney is haing trouble selling what they have, never mind taking more off the market. They would rather collect dues than sit on inventory.

If I were buying resale, I'd lowball until I got what I needed. If Disney ROFRs it, they have to buy it, so it's out of circulation. If they don't, then you get it. They will only ROFR so much... The seller needs to approve it, but I've got to guess the sellers are in a bind to have to sell it.

Works for everyone!

Disney has more inventory then they can handle right now, especially the sold out resorts. I bet they barely ROFR anything lately.

WishesFan13
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Not to highjack the thread, but if you buy points at a sold out resort through disney how much is it per point? I don't know why but i'm thinking they charge the same price as the properties they are currently selling. That would seem like a lot more then resale though.

TooGoofy
01-27-2010, 06:12 AM
I paid $106 per point for the new BCV points I just got. Yes, some will say it was a little steep, but I got some good perks.
First, I was able to put the "loan" on my Disney Visa so it is interest free for 6 months, and it will be paid off in that time period.
Secondly, I get Disney Rewards for putting it on my Visa, so there is another $50.00.
Third, we got 2009 points which we can bank (and that will help with our upcoming plans).
Finally, no closing costs.
It seemed to make financial sense for us, but your mileage may vary.

DVC2004
01-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Not to highjack the thread, but if you buy points at a sold out resort through disney how much is it per point? I don't know why but i'm thinking they charge the same price as the properties they are currently selling. That would seem like a lot more then resale though.

Congrats in the add on, TooGoofy! BC is a great place to call home!

WishesFan- DIsney charges different prices depending on the property, but they are all pretty close to eachother in price.
Although it's not always the cheapest option, it's convenient and sometimes special things are offered. For example, Disney extended the deed on all thier OKW properties. However, if purchasing OKW through a resale, the property won't have the extended deed unless the selling member paid to do so. That's jsut one example.

WishesFan13
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the answers. DH and i are looking to add on and already own at BLT, but to add on it would be $115 and we thinking we would like to buy BC. We spend most of our time eating in Epcot and we go during food and wine festival so home resort priority would be good. I just wasn't sure if BC would be selling for the same $115 since that would make a big difference from the resale pricing. But we would definitely be leaning towards going through disney too. For the couple extra $ per point I think it's easier going through disney. And I didn't know they were still doing the 2009 points that would be great for us. Thanks again. I just called DH, we might be adding on sooner then we thought.

DizneyRox
01-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Just wanted to point something out. I get a feeling you might be confused from your post.

Home resort is tied to the actual points that you own at each particular resort. Just buying say 50 points at BCV doesn't give you an 11 month window at BCV for all your points, ONLY the 50 that you own there. You would need to wait until the 7 month window to use your BLT points at BCV.

Owning points at multiple resorts MAY actually require for you to do split stays on all your vacations. Which is fine, and I can't see it happening all the time, but more and more I hear people NOT being able to get their choices at the 7 month window, and I would assume it will get worse.

Just wanted to point that out... We prefer to own at the same resort, just makes booking a vacation a little easier IMHO. We also own where we want to stay. One of these days, maybe we'll try to book elsewhere, but we've been to most of the resorts already, and prefer home.

DizneyRox
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I just wasn't sure if BC would be selling for the same $115 since that would make a big difference from the resale pricing. But we would definitely be leaning towards going through disney too. For the couple extra $ per point I think it's easier going through disney.
Prices in resale are negotiable, so the asking price is just that, asking. Just like the housing market, it's still a buyers market and I wouldn't hesitate to lowball a contract or two or three or four.

It doesn't cost you anything, you may be able to pick up a steal. I really don't think Disney is going to ROFR many properties, they have tons of inventory right now with few actually buying.

So what if they do, at least you tried, and if Disney DOES pull a ROFR, then they need to buy it from the seller, so it gets it off their hands too.

Hammer
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the answers. DH and i are looking to add on and already own at BLT, but to add on it would be $115 and we thinking we would like to buy BC. We spend most of our time eating in Epcot and we go during food and wine festival so home resort priority would be good. I just wasn't sure if BC would be selling for the same $115 since that would make a big difference from the resale pricing. But we would definitely be leaning towards going through disney too. For the couple extra $ per point I think it's easier going through disney. And I didn't know they were still doing the 2009 points that would be great for us. Thanks again. I just called DH, we might be adding on sooner then we thought.

Prices in resale are negotiable, so the asking price is just that, asking. Just like the housing market, it's still a buyers market and I wouldn't hesitate to lowball a contract or two or three or four.

It doesn't cost you anything, you may be able to pick up a steal. I really don't think Disney is going to ROFR many properties, they have tons of inventory right now with few actually buying.

So what if they do, at least you tried, and if Disney DOES pull a ROFR, then they need to buy it from the seller, so it gets it off their hands too.

I'm going to agree with Dizney Rox on this one. I just checked the Timeshare Store listings for Beach Club Villas and the price for resale contracts is between $81-87 per point, which is a significant savings over what Disney is charging, even when you add $400-600 for closing costs (depends on the # of points you are purchasing). Now, in Meg's (TooGoofy's) case, it made sense for the Disney reward points. Everyone should really do a cost comparison between Disney and resale before buying at an older property. When I bought at SSR, I bought through resale instead of Disney. Even with paying $495 in closing costs, I still saved close to $3000, which paid for new appliances in my home. The only drawback was that the points weren't in Disney system until about 2 weeks after closing, but that was a small inconvenience compared to the money I saved.

WishesFan13
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the tip DizneyRox, i do know that the home resort priority would only be for the 50 pts. We would be splitting our stay, since we don't have kids yet we don't think it would be too much of a pain, or using those points for a quick visit. One of the reasons we're thinking about BC is because we would like to be able to stay there and while we're flexible everyone on the boards say that BC and BW are really hard to get at the 7 month mark during the F & W festival. Good idea about low balling resales though. Hammer, i have been checking the timeshare store we're just not sure if a resale would be better then going through disney as it seems like there are some advantages of doing it directly with disney and we might be using our disney visa too. Just thoughts we haven't decided anything yet, i stink with decision making and it usually takes me forever.