PDA

View Full Version : What resort have you stayed at and would NOT stay at again?

mom2morgan
01-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I know that sounds a little negative, but we did a "favourites" thread, and to get a really full picture I want to see the other side, too. Please tell why you didn't like the resort.

minnesotafreeze
01-24-2010, 01:19 AM
I would not stay at the POFQ. I thought it was kind of run down compared to the other moderate resorts.:mickey:

JenniferS.
01-24-2010, 07:26 AM
CBR. While it's a nice resort and has an awesome main pool, it is just too large. We had long waits for some of the buses sometimes. We decided that we would never stay there again.

Pete Olsen
01-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Any of the All Stars. We would stay at Pop if we were staying at a value resort.

Seasonscraps
01-24-2010, 07:38 AM
CBR. I thought it was too spread out. And I didn't the the decor was anything special - more like a typical Florida motel room.

luvdiznee
01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Coronado Springs...I won't say it's because of the fact that our rooms were so far from the main bldg and that as far as bus trans we had to go out towards the back parking lot. Or that our arrival night it was late, raining and cold but the fact that we could not get any type of internal shuttle service to our room, let me know this wasn't a resort for us. :thedolls:But after we made it to our plain looking room and got ourselves together, we decided to make the trek back to get something to eat. The chicken wings I ordered were not fresh. I took them back since they were hard to chew. And just went without eating. And then later, I'm picking up a few things, magnet and pin and I'm waiting in line, I was behind someone else, and the 2 girls are just talking amongst themselves. So finally someone comes over and tells them about it and the one says she was just finishing her break. :confused:So never to this resort again for me. :cool:

Melanie
01-24-2010, 08:21 AM
I would not stay at the POFQ. I thought it was kind of run down compared to the other moderate resorts.:mickey:

:ditto:

Mousehead35
01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Coronado Springs..

kakn7294
01-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Coronado Springs - just not my style and didn't feel as Disney-like as the others we've been at. Had housekeeping issues that didn't get solved until the 3rd phone call and even that wasn't exactly satisfactory.

All Star Music - just don't care so much for the theming.

TikiLounger
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
The CBR...no real reason other than it's the least favorite of all the resorts we've stayed in. We had no issues or complaints...just liked the others better. So....if I had to choose...I wouldn't stay there again.

d_m_n_n
01-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Any of the All-Stars. I know some people love them, but our family just found the rooms too crowded and LOUD (both in Decor and the fact PW was going on at the same time). Thank goodness it was only for 2 nights when we were doing other Orlando attractions those days. NEVER AGAIN!!! :(

droopy d.
01-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this one but for us it was AKL while it is a beautiful resort and has great views of animals it wasn't for us. It just didn't have that "disney magic" we have gotten at the other resorts we've stayed at.

sassafras
01-24-2010, 09:09 AM
CBR -like previous postings, just nothing "special" and Disney-like about it. Also too spread out and bus service wasn't that great!

Jenemmy
01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I will have to admit that it is POFQ for me as well. I really, REALLY want to love it as the grounds are just so charming and quaint, but the rooms just didn't do it for me. I would not say there was anything wrong with it per say, just not a style I enjoyed. If they did a complete remodel of guest rooms, I would try it again.

Also, Pop was not the best experience. It isn't a value thing for me at all, as I have has trips to Movies and Music that were without issue. The food court seemed to be extremely messy during our time there, we had some rude neighbors and overall, I didn't like the theming.

All that being said --- If I had to pitch a tent in the parking lot of the TTC to go to Disney, I surely would. But, if I am being ultra picky, I would not go back to either of these resorts.

gerald72
01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't want to stay in any of the same resorts again.
But that's just because I'd eventually like to stay at them all, and I don't think I'll be around long enough to hit them twice.

waymickey
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
For us it would be any of the All-Stars. too crowded and we just found it to be a little run down.

caryrae
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
We have only tried 4 Resorts, Pop, ASMovies, CSR, and POFQ. The one we liked least was CSR, not saying we would never stay there again but it may be a long time before we try it again probably. We did a split stay with CSR and POFQ and both my wife and I liked POFQ much more and we both would stay there again easily.

disneydeb
01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
CBR and Fort Wilderness Cabins do nothing for me. Everything is just too spread out for my tastes. However, many love these, just not me.

LudwigVonDrake
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Either Music or Sports. Too crowded and they seemed to be run down. If I do value again it'll either be Movies or Pop :wave:

bruin1344
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I would stay at all the resorts Ive been to but I try to find ways around staying at any of the value resorts, especially POP.

AllDisney
01-24-2010, 02:20 PM
POFQ it's been a long time, but it really did feel dated when we stayed there years ago.

ILoveMickey'77
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Pop Century...it was WAY too crowded. We went during value season for 5 days and didn't get to sit on a single bus the whole time. The food court was a mad house and you could hardly walk around without someone bumping into you.

SurferStitch
01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
POR

Both times we stayed there the rooms were just gross (we were tied into the second stay and couldn't switch resorts). Guest service at the main desk and in the gift shop were also abysmal.

But, lesson learned. We just don't go back.

TinkerbelleRoo
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
All Star Sports. Stayed there once in 2000 and once last May 2009.

It was fine the first time or else I wouldn't have attempted it a second time. But now with EVERY resort using the bus system at every park (before it used to be a bus to TTC to Studios, AK, DtD, and water parks or boats for the MGM/Epcot resorts) and more and more hotels and DVCs..the bus stops were a great deal further away at every park and it seemed like the Values got the short end of the stick.

Mouskeeping was always late, sometimes not until 4 or 5 pm, and there were no towels for the pool. You had to take the ones for bathing in your room. Which is fine except those were only slightly bigger than a washcloth.

If I was making the trip again, (and unless I win a lottery anytime soon to stay at the Poly)I'd perhaps use the DtD hotels (Hilton, Doubletree, etc.) which seem to be only slightly more expensive than the values and offer a great deal more as far as upkeep and amenities.

Maybe their buses would be less crowded as well.

2Epcot
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I agree with a lot of the others, for me it would be the Caribbean Beach Resort. I've stayed at about 10 different resorts, and this is the only one I wouldn't stay at again. I don't think the size really bothered me, I just wasn't impressed with it at all.

pokci
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Never stayed there but walked through it one night last December and for the first time ever at WDW felt unsafe. :( It was kind of creepy. Though if they're trying to recreate FQ I guess they did it! LOL

Mousemates
01-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Let me begin by saying that we have not yet found a "bad resort" at Disney....just some that we like less than others or that didn't communicate the magic to us quite as much as some others did.

But #1 on my list would likely be the Caribbean Beach...nothing really against it (thou we did have a leak in the wall from the sprinkler system that made us move rooms)...its just didn't feel all that disney to us...but kind of felt we staying in "anywhere, Florida". I kind of think that's why they started all the pirate rooms and what not...who knows maybe it would be different now, but we aren't likely to go back and try again when there are so many other options

Another one for us might be the treehouses...they felt very neutral and "condo-ish" thou they were very nice and we enjoyed the privacy very much....but they just seemed to lack the disney feel. Again there was nothing wrong with them at all...they just were not one of our favorites and thus are not a resort we're apt to go back to.

wdwnomad
01-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd rather stay at any other resort than Pop Century. I did not like the set-up of the food court and the gift shop. Having the food court attached the gift shop always made it impossible to move around. The bus service was the worst. Yes, it is great that they don't share but the lines to get on them were the worse not to mention you will never get a seat. Then there is that beautiful lake with a ghost town on the opposite shore. What a view!

JoDisney
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Coronado Springs

jeromyanddana
01-25-2010, 03:01 AM
CBR-We really were not impressed. We had a Nemo room but it just didn't do anything for us. We just didn't feel at "home". Also, we were very far away from Port Royale so maybe that was why. Who knows.

c&d
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
AS Sports.:nope:

It was just soooo noisy all night long. Teenagers running around and pounding on doors. And really loud adults around 2:00am.

Ian
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Not to sound like a snob, but I doubt I'll ever stay at any of the Value resorts again.

I just can't handle the food court chaos at Pop and the AS resorts tend to be really noisy and dirty feeling. The only way I'd stay at one again is if it was just a one-nighter before and after a long stay someplace else.

As far as the mods and deluxes, though, I'd never hesitate to stay at any of them. :mickey:

diz_girl
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Here's another 'hope I don't sound like a snob' comment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen one Deluxe resort among the posts so far. It was for AKL and it was only mentioned because it didn't have a 'Disney' feel to it. No service problems were mentioned. Since we are pretty far down on page 2 of this thread, I was expecting to see at least more than one Deluxe mentioned, but with the one exception of AKL, it's all Values and Mods so far.

Now I'm not asking for people to start posting about Deluxes, but I just felt like mentioning the dearth of Deluxes on this thread, especially when I see many 'Deluxe isn't worth the money' statements on many other threads in the past.

BrerGnat
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Not to sound like a snob, but I doubt I'll ever stay at any of the Value resorts again.

I'm gonna one up that and say I KNOW I will never stay at a Value resort again. Been there, done that, DONE WITH THAT.

In particular, Pop Century. WAY too loud, both literally and figuratively, with the decor. Hated the food court/gift shop combo...too crazy. It had a warehouse feeling to it, like I was eating at a Costco. Rooms were poorly soundproofed, beds are hard and bouncy, linens are poor quality, and the pool just seemed...I don't know. Gross. When I was there at the end of September, it was VERY hot and humid. The pool was packed like a can of sardines. I had NO desire to swim in it...which has never happened to me at any WDW resort.

I will never need to go to WDW so badly that I will stay in a Value resort. I can wait a little longer until I can afford at least a Moderate...

WVParkfan
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Pop Century. Loudest hotel with the thinnest walls I've ever stayed in. Never again.

Anywhere else on property is fine.

Mitzie
01-25-2010, 02:42 PM
CRB for us. Smelly room, though CM's were very helpful and tried to help as much as possible. DH said if that had been his first stay we wouldn't of returned to Disney...:( Someone mentioned deluxe stays. I would probably return to CRS or POR before I went back to BC. We found our stay noisey with kids running up and down the hall. Overall we just didn't like the feel of the place. Location was great though.

PinKy
01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Caribbean Beach Resort.

They don't have elevators!! When we stayed, we had our 6 month old son with us and we had to carry his stroller up and down 2 flights of stairs (1 story) every time we went in or out of our room!! We also had a wayward shuttle driver that we filed a complaint about. (We did receive a very nice $$ gift card because of the incident though - so we felt like they really tried to make up for our problem.)

Other than all of that though - it was very nice and we did enjoy the landscaping and setting.

Scar
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
CBR

Of all my experiences (9 onsite)...

Longest check in line - by far

Most inter resort walking

Dirtiest room - by far

Worst TS restaurant

2nd worst bus srevice

Belster
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
CSR....this resort is beautiful but is not for my family. We wont ever be going back.

Belster
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Here's another 'hope I don't sound like a snob' comment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen one Deluxe resort among the posts so far. It was for AKL and it was only mentioned because it didn't have a 'Disney' feel to it. No service problems were mentioned. Since we are pretty far down on page 2 of this thread, I was expecting to see at least more than one Deluxe mentioned, but with the one exception of AKL, it's all Values and Mods so far.

Now I'm not asking for people to start posting about Deluxes, but I just felt like mentioning the dearth of Deluxes on this thread, especially when I see many 'Deluxe isn't worth the money' statements on many other threads in the past.

I would also like to say that in addition to CSR I will never again stay at GF. I know...I am in trouble for that one.

missymouseworld
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
AKL

Couldn't stand walking thru hallways, upon hallways, upon hallways to get anywhere. I would rather be walking outside in the beautiful Florida weather.

Mark & Donna
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM

We thought the POFQ was fabulous! Very nice decor inside and out and very quiet too. We loved just strolling along the "streets."

Mickey91
01-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I have stayed at all the values, mods (except for POFQ) and three of the MK deluxe. I have to honestly say the only resorts I do not ever plan on staying again are those outside of WDW. Now, have my stays always been perfect in every way? No. But they have far outshined any offsite place we have stayed and we are in the middle of the magic.:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2010, 06:28 AM
We feel happiest when staying at a monorail resort, but there are no resorts at WDW that I wouldn't stay at. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would be Saratoga Springs.

pox24
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
The Dolphin and any of the All Star's... POP however, in a pinch.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
We've stayed at All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Pop Century and Coronado Springs, and I would stay at any of them again with no problem.....

coneygoil
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
The All-Star resorts. I stayed at the Movies several years ago. It was okay, but the other All-Stars seemed so blah.

azcavalier
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
We've stayed at all of the All Stars, POR, and Boardwalk Villas. We would stay at any of them, EXCEPT for All Star Sports. The themeing was cool, but that is where it seems all of the Pop Warner groups and cheerleading groups stay. We had kids in the pool until late, running up and down the walkways outside of the rooms, knocking on doors and running away at 1am, etc, etc. It was a nightmare.

We did have an issue once when checking in to All Star Movies...we got there late (10-11pm ish) and we couldn't get into the room. We had to go back to the front desk twice, and also called once before we finally got someone to come an open the door for us. The card reader had reset and didn't know which room it was, so our room keys wouldn't open the door. They had to reprogram the thing. We had three small kids waiting (two fell asleep on their coats on the concrete outside the door), and it wound up being midnight before we could get in the room and put them to bed. But every other time we've stayed at AS Sports, it's been great.

Ian
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
AKL

Couldn't stand walking thru hallways, upon hallways, upon hallways to get anywhere. I would rather be walking outside in the beautiful Florida weather.It's funny ... I had this same reaction to AKL the first time I stayed there because our room was all the way down one wing of the hotel.

But the second time I stayed there our room was much closer to the lobby and we really enjoyed it.

I'd do AKL again even though I used to say I never would.

I don't think I'll ever do CSR again either, come to think of it. I didn't really care for it very much. Felt like a low-rent copy of CBR to me. Architecturally it's identical to CBR, in fact. It just has a different theme.

tnpoohbear
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I would have to say POP - we were there about the first year after they opened. Our building was so far away and just too far to get to the bus stop and food court. Also the cast members there were just not very nice. That was the only time ever at a resort where we encountered rude cast members. We decided we would never stay there again!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I probably won't stay at the All Stars or Caribbean Beach resorts again. Whether it's the layout (CBR) or the noise outside at night and chaos in the food court (All Stars), they just don't appeal to me.

Jenemmy
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
We did have an issue once when checking in to All Star Movies...we got there late (10-11pm ish) and we couldn't get into the room. We had to go back to the front desk twice, and also called once before we finally got someone to come an open the door for us. The card reader had reset and didn't know which room it was, so our room keys wouldn't open the door. They had to reprogram the thing. We had three small kids waiting (two fell asleep on their coats on the concrete outside the door), and it wound up being midnight before we could get in the room and put them to bed. But every other time we've stayed at AS Sports, it's been great.

I had something similar at movies. At the time, my DH sent just me and my 5 year old to Disney for a surprise. I had a HUMONGO sinus headache on the plane ride over and of course, no meds. Felt like my eyeballs were gonna pop out and roll down the aisle. Got to ASMu at about 12:30 am and there was no one available to help us to our room -- which happened to be in the Country building as far from the lobby as possible. Here I was carting luggage, carrying a sleeping 5 year old and about to have my head split open from pain trying to find the blessed 3 story cowboy boot!!

buzznwoodysmom
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't stay at SSR again. I just didn't like it at all. And we'll probably never stay at the values again, unless its for one night before our longer reservation at a different resort.

starryeyes21
01-26-2010, 07:12 PM
As surprising as it may seem to some people I would never stay at The Wilderness Lodge ever again. My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon and we were not very happy. Upon entering our room we discovered that, yes, there was a King sized bed like we requested but it also had a wheelchair accessible bathroom. This made the bathroom huge and the actual room small. Also, the room was dingy and dirty and it overlooked a scummy pond.

So, we marched ourselves back to the desk and were met with no help at all. The manager acted as if it was common knowledge that king rooms come with wheelchair accessible bathrooms. My argument was "How hard would it have been to tell us this over the phone." So, after some arguing we were moved.

The next room was no better. Again dark and dingy and overlooking a parking lot and a smoke house. Being a vegetarian this was highly objectionable to me. At this point though we let it go and decided to stay.

Mousekeeping was terrible. The room never once felt clean. I had this horrible suspicion that my towels were never laundered just hung back up. This resort was no worth the money. It felt like a waste.

Also, my displeasure my have also stemmed from the fact that we had spent three days at Universal's Portofino Bay Resort. It was just lovely. For the first time I felt that Universal had outdone Disney in every way. From the staff to the rooms, the experience was top notch.

So, I would never be hesitant to spend top dollar at Universal hotels because they have shown themselves to have high standards for hotels and service. I can not say they same for Disney and as it stands right now will not go above moderate accommodations.

SandmanGStefani24
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM

The same thing happened to me at ASMusic! It happened at around midnight and I didnt get inside my room until after 1am!

Still, as bad as that experience was everything before and after was good. If i HAD to, I would stay at an all star again, but I am going to try not to...

Buttercup
01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I wasn't impressed with All Star Music. I liked ASMovies, and POP (never stayed at Sports). I just wasn't thrilled with it - nothing in particular.

But I will say, I'd rather be at All Star Music than a Holiday Inn off-site!

Wishmaker
01-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Believe it or not i really like this post. It shows us all how there is something for everyone out there. That expectations etc are all different. There are however, numerous similarities.

I love all the disney resorts. I had some Mousekeeping issues at a few, but I don't think I will include them in the decision of staying or not staying somewhere.

I have stayed at: Wilderness Camp grounds, ASMovies, CBR, POP(3) AKL:thumbsup:, POR (both riverside & french quarter):unsure:.

My first would be ASMovies only becuase of the bus issue, I am scared about that, some people say they no longer share but... I just wouldn't chance it.
CBR as many others had said, way to spread out. I just didn't care for that part.

However posts are correct that POP is loud and busy, but the time we go everything is so busy we take it in stride. I am a hard sleeper and I completely wear myself out so I hit the hay when we get to the room and I could not tell you what goes on around me. :blush:

PetefromRI
01-27-2010, 08:41 AM
This is a great topic and to be honest,I love all the resorts,just some better than others.I think it's all relative though.I'd have to say our least favorite was the Beach Club for these reasons:too crowded pool and pool area with no place to lay out.We didn't like the fenced in area around the pool.No foodcourt with lots of choices like the mods.Very snobish feel for us.Room wasn't ready until 5:30 P.M. and the pool closed way to early.The location of the resort was the best though if your a big Epcot fan which we are.
Like I've said,everything is relative though.If they offered the BC for a value price I'd go back in a heartbeat but overall it just didn't do it for us for the price we spent.

Darbylew
01-27-2010, 09:07 AM
We have not stayed at all the resorts at WDW
but the ones that we have stayed at have been
great. I do not have any complaints about any
of the resorts that I have stayed at. My very
favorite by far is POFQ. :number1: Just being
at WDW is enough for us!:cool:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY!!!!!!!!!! :D

DisneyOtaku
01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I have to say, I probably wouldn't go back to the CBR. It was our first Disney hotel, so I love it for that, but the grounds were just too big, and it felt like forever to wait for the bus.

And while my stay was nice, I probably wouldn't go back to the POP. We went on the off-season, so it wasn't crowded, and I liked the food court...but I can just imagine what it is like during the summer :crowd:

TheVBs
01-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I would also like to say that in addition to CSR I will never again stay at GF. I know...I am in trouble for that one.

Why? Just curious, I've never stayed there.

Katarch
01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
POFQ! Rooms need some updating - really shabby!:mickey:

TinaAndGlenn
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with the poster on WL. We love staying there because it has beautiful grounds, pool, geyser, and you can watch nightly parade on the lake. But for the price we paid for our room I was unimpressed. We also had a king room, overlooking the pool (Did not have wheelchair access bathroom). The room was small & very DARK, even during the day.
Our next trip we are going to try off property & give up on the EMH.
I wish we lived closer so we could bring our RV down every trip. Nothing beats bringing your house with you & staying at FW!

phlo8810
01-29-2010, 08:54 PM
The only one we've been to that we will never stay at again is Saratoga springs. The mile walk from the lobby to our room was not fun. You have to take a bus to get everywhere except dtd. And it was too big. Did not seem Disney to us. We ended up at the bw on the first night and didn't want to go back to ssr. In fact we love the bwv so much that pretty much every other resort pAles in comparison. Would love to try out the poly though.

CzepielCrew
01-30-2010, 09:07 AM
The All Stars. The kids are older now, so we ware going to upgrade our stay.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-30-2010, 09:14 AM
POR for me. Hands down. Surprised to see so many CBR's--one of my alltime favorites. The fact that it's spread out doesn't bother me. I get the feel that I'm really at a tropical resort, and like the peaceful, beautiful atmosphere. Definitely has that "getaway" feeling...

Simbafan73
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Coronado Springs for sure!!!!

Our last trip Aug 09 we spent 2 weeks there and it was horrible.

The first room we were in had cockroaches, and after phoning and complaining to the front desk I was told to relax that they were just Palmetto bugs ( after googling I found out that a Palmetto bug is an American Cockroach ), to which I responded I would still rather another room.
We were granted another room with a downgraded view and further from where we were but we were happy to be out of the cockroach room.......the next morning while in the bathroom i noticed a very large shadow on the shower curtain and lo and behold it was a HUGE cockroach.
Needless to say that is it for us and Coronado Springs.

PixieMagic
01-30-2010, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't stay at the Contemporary unless it was the last monorail resort left...not because of bad service or location, but we just feel it's an eye sore and lacks greatly in the theme dept....

On the other hand...after our experience last August.....I solemnly swear I will never stay at a value resort EVER AGAIN...in matter of fact I will go as far as to say I will never stay at a non-monorail resort again....

We used to say any day at Disney is better than no day at Disney...but once we tried it we were mistaken and ended up switching resorts as soon as possible. I think if we had never stayed at the ultra deluxe before, we may have though it was awesome...but to us it lacked in the "Disney feel" ...the magic that exists. It just felt....wrong...you can PM me if you want details but it was so bad for us that we were fighting and then begging for any deluxe resort we got switched (and paid for) the Grand Floridian, and although we had never stayed there before either, it just felt like home...the magic suddenly existed again and the rest of our trip was perfect....

Again, it may just be that we are spoiled...but we are a lower-middle class family...and when you spend that much on a vacation...you want it to be worth it..........

RAIDER
01-31-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this one but for us it was AKL while it is a beautiful resort and has great views of animals it wasn't for us. It just didn't have that "disney magic" we have gotten at the other resorts we've stayed at.

I agree with you on that one . :thumbsup:
Friends were staying at that resort and we came and picked them up and were shown around . I found the place too dark and when you consider Africa being a colourful place ( just look ast their flags ) The rooms werent all that private either especially the ones looking out on the animals :thumbsup:

sarha
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
We'd never stay at CSR again. It just didn't have the Disney feel to us and it was too spread out.
Our room was about as far away from the pool as you could get, we'd either have to wait for a bus or take the long, hot hike with two unhappy kids.
Because it's a convention center there were also people in buisness wear walking around and that just was off-putting to us.
Again, this is just my family's view, I have several friends who love the resort.
That's the joy of having so many places to choose from, something for everyone. :lei:

cinderella crazy
01-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Upon entering our room we discovered that, yes, there was a King sized bed like we requested but it also had a wheelchair accessible bathroom. This made the bathroom huge and the actual room small.

I would beg to differ, we stayed in a king bed room that had a wheelchair accessible bathroom and there was no difference in actual room size between that and a room that had queen sized beds. The only difference between the rooms is that the king sized rooms only have a shower whereas other rooms have the shower and bath tub.

Also, the room was dingy and dirty and it overlooked a scummy pond.

It's funny how two people can have completely different reactions to the same experience. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge on our honeymoon as well. We had a room with a king sized bed that opened up to a pond. We found it quite charming. Every morning we woke up and would go out to our patio to watch the different animals.

So, we marched ourselves back to the desk and were met with no help at all. The manager acted as if it was common knowledge that king rooms come with wheelchair accessible bathrooms. My argument was "How hard would it have been to tell us this over the phone."

How were they supposed to know to tell you this? We didn't realize that the king sized bedrooms had different bathrooms but I didn't think it was the reorts fault for not telling us when we booked the room.

Mousekeeping was terrible. The room never once felt clean. I had this horrible suspicion that my towels were never laundered just hung back up. This resort was no worth the money. It felt like a waste.

Did you voice your concerns to anyone?

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience at the WL. We had a wonderful honeymoon there and it holds a special place in our hearts. I hope you have better experiences at other Disney resorts :)

disneygirl87
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Saratoga. For me, it's too far from everything (except Downtown Disney) and the resort itself is extremely spread out, making it hard to get to the check-in/pool/store. I enjoyed the theme of the resort, it is beautiful. But we are used to not having to take a bus to all the parks (our "home" is the Boardwalk Villas), so that was a little taxing on us especially with the number of people that seemed to be staying in our area of the resort. I would only stay there again if it was the only resort available during our preferred dates.

starryeyes21
01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Did you voice your concerns to anyone?

Yes we did. On several occasions we called the front desk and housekeeping. Either we received no response or were passed on to someone else. Eventually, we decided that constantly calling was useless because nothing was getting done about it. Also, I had never encountered ruder and more disinterested cast members. At that point we decided to just enjoy our honeymoon and stop stressing out. We were spending a ridiculous amount of time on the phone and nothing was being resolved.

How were they supposed to know to tell you this? We didn't realize that the king sized bedrooms had different bathrooms but I didn't think it was the resort fault for not telling us when we booked the room.

Well, just like you said different people can have different reactions to the same situation. What was in that room was obviously not the norm and should have been mentioned. I expected a regular bathroom and a regular bedroom. This is not an unreasonable expectation. I would have booked something else had I known. Maybe even a different resort. I feel as though it was a lie of omission. Disney knows they have a better chance of booking the wheel chair accessible rooms to non-wheelchair guests if they don't mention the showers. To put it in perspective, I booked a room at a Hampton Inn over the summer for a family function. When I asked for a room with a king sized bed I was quickly informed it had a wheelchair accessible shower and was asked if that was okay. If a Hampton Inn can inform me of this, why not Disney?

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience at the WL. We had a wonderful honeymoon there and it holds a special place in our hearts. I hope you have better experiences at other Disney resorts

We had a wonderful honeymoon as well. We just didn't love the hotel. We have stayed other places on property and not had any problems at all. I have very high expectations when I travel to Disney. When I splurge for a deluxe resort they are even higher. Unfortunately, on this trip, at this hotel they were not met. Ummmm.....I thought that's what this thread was about. I'm glad you like the WL. I do not. To each his own.

cinderella crazy
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Ummmm.....I thought that's what this thread was about. I'm glad you like the WL. I do not. To each his own.

Fair enough. I was just curious as to some of the particulars.

MNNHFLTX
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Moderator Request--

I know we all have our favorite (or least favorite) resorts, but let's refrain from questioning another member's specific comments in posts. Whether intentional or not, it tends to put the other person on the defensive, which is not what we want to do here on INTERCOT. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Thank you--:mickey:

TheVBs
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
This was a really intersting read! I had some surprises. Just for fun, I did a quick, sloppy tally. Top of the list was one or all of the All Stars (forgive me for lumping them together), but just one vote behind them was CBR. Next up was CSR, Pop, any value resort tied with POFQ, followed closely by SS. AKL had three votes, POR & WL both had 2. FW, GF, S&D, BC and the Contemporary all had 1 each.

Dopey's Girl
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I hated ALK...we had the worst service and the place just didn't impress me. The lobby and animals were really cool, but our room was a disaster. I just really wasn't happy to have paid what I did for the room to get the kind of service (or lack there of) that we did!

I'm also kind of over the values. They are great when I'm trying to save money, but I'm more than happy to shell out a bit more for a moderate to avoid the chaos that usually ensues in the values!

cinderella crazy
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Moderator Request--

I know we all have our favorite (or least favorite) resorts, but let's refrain from questioning another member's specific comments in posts. Whether intentional or not, it tends to put the other person on the defensive, which is not what we want to do here on INTERCOT. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Thank you--:mickey:

If you were refering to my post, I truly am sorry. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad but I realize now that it did sound as if I was questioning what was someone else's opinion. I really truly am sorry if I offended anyone. :sorry:

mom2morgan
02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
This was a really intersting read! I had some surprises. Just for fun, I did a quick, sloppy tally. Top of the list was one or all of the All Stars (forgive me for lumping them together), but just one vote behind them was CBR. Next up was CSR, Pop, any value resort tied with POFQ, followed closely by SS. AKL had three votes, POR & WL both had 2. FW, GF, S&D, BC and the Contemporary all had 1 each.

Thanks for the tally!! I'm a little nervous since we plan to try CBR next time - I do see it got a lot of thumbs down!

mom2morgan
02-01-2010, 10:43 PM
This is lame because I've only ever stayed at POR - but my thought is on the area we stayed in. I would rather try a different resort than ever stay in Alligator Bayou again. I really did find it THAT different fromt he Mansion section. After we stayed there we fell in love with the place and vowed to always stay there - not after our stay in AB last year! That's kind of a good thing though, because now I'm motivated to try something new :-)

caryrae
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the tally!! I'm a little nervous since we plan to try CBR next time - I do see it got a lot of thumbs down!

Don't be nervous I would guess that at any Resort there would be more people who like it then didn't. I bet if there was a which Resort do you like best thread there would be plenty of people who liked CBR.

We did not like CSR much but there is a lot of people who love it. There are so many different opinions on Resorts good and bad you will never know yourself til you try it.

ANG
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I will never stay at All star Movies again.IT was dead of summer and the air conditioning unit stopped working! I called the front desk half a dozen times to have them come fix it. And every night we came back to our room and it was still broken. Also the play pen they provided for my son was also broken and dirty. It had baby spit up all down the sides. You would think a place as nice as Disney would clean them.

Seasonscraps
02-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Try not to be nervous...if this thread was titled "Pick your favorite resort" I am sure there would be a lot of thumbs up for CBR. :thumbsup:

Kellie19891992
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside just don't like them

Goofy Pluto
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't stay at Carribean Beach again. I don't know what it was but when we were there it just didn't feel very... "Disney" to us. I'd rather try a different resort or stay at someplace I know I like like Pop Century or Port Orleans - Riverside (where we are staying in August).

GINNY69
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I would not stay at Pop Century !!!

rubato
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Any value resort. Sorry, they are just too loud and I need my fridge and coffee pot!:mickey:

wmdaddy
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't stay at Old Key West again. Too spread out, and didn't feel very Disney to me.

andreallybadeggs
02-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Well let me offset the negatives with a rousing thumbs up then. :thumbsup: Our family has stayed at several of the resorts over the years. Some of them mulitiple times but have stayed at least once at:
values--All Star Sp + Mu and Pop
mods--all of them
deluxe--all the monorail resorts, WLodge, and Yacht Club
+ the Dolphin.
Not sure which if any we would not revisit-- guess Sports just because we prefer either the music or movie theme. BUT we most definitely would NOT drop CBR from our list.
I will say that we almost always have our own car so that might make a difference but we love the grounds, rooms cleaned to our satisfaction, and no complaints about service.
In fact, mousekeepers were particularly pleasant there, we thought. Certainly, if money were no object we'd stay at Deluxes all the time but that is not our reality and my DH has often said that, for the $, he thinks CBR is the best deal on Disney property. So-- as per the unofficial Intercot creed...to each his own. Have a great trip.:mickey:

Kenny1113
02-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Mine would have to be CSR. I thought my cockroach experience was an isolated one ( after reading thread I see it is not) bc it was the first time I had seen a cockroach in WDW. I thought the resort was nice and quiet I didn't mind the bus service too much. Except when they picked us up from mk at least 40 min wait and then decided to take a scenic route and detour to another resort , who knows for what, on the way back, after mnsshp but I won't blame the resort for this. I found the rooms to be just like any other room I was really dissappointed with dining and customer service. ( Cashier flat out lied to me, mentioned in another thread).
I wish I would have gone with my gut and booked POR ( it was a toss up bw the two when I booked it). :(

JPL
02-06-2010, 09:53 PM
CSR by far! I had 3 bad experience there and would rather stay home than stay there again! Poor customer service, Rude CMs, Poor Mousekeeping Services, No AC in my room in August just to name a few problems I have had!

Hammer
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
This just goes to show that everyone has different experiences at the same resort. I have stayed at Coronado Springs numerous times and have never had any issues with cleanliness or service. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. On the other hand, many on here rave about Port Orleans Riverside but you could not get me to ever stay there again. I tried it twice and had poor housekeeping and many inattentive and/or nasty CMs on both occasions.

buzz2001
02-07-2010, 07:23 AM
For me, it would be CBR and Contemporary.

Lakin
02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
POFQ I guess. We had a great time, but I didn't see the whole 'moderateness' of it. I think that my money would have better been spent at a value.

cardnl1b
02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Fort Wilderness Cabins, Allstar hotels (although it is a great value), GF unless you are staying inside. I felt that where we had stayed at the GF was further away from everything compared to other hotel like the BC or YC. Also, our bus stop was the last stop before hitting the hotels so we would usually have to let a bus pass, because it was full and wait longer for another.

Honestly, I like the hotels near Epcot and Hollywood the best.

PirateLover
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Put us in the CBR column as well. We stayed in Dec 2005... had issues with our room (musty), issues with busses (one example would be we were 1/2 hr late for Crystal Palace breakfast becuase it took 45 mins for the first MK bus to get to our stop, and when it did it was FULL and passed us by), the resort grounds were not well-kept, the walk to the food court was a bit much for our liking, Mousekeeping twice entered our room despite a do not disturb sign- once we were in the room sleeping and they tried to enter,waking us up and scaring the heck out of us, the other time we were not there and they went in and moved everything around (although nothing was missing).

We did not report anything because we were still just kids at the time really (18 and 20). We've learned since then. These things just left a bad taste in our mouth, plus we did not really find the "amenities" of the pool and beach to be enough to justify the added cost from value level. Never got to use the hot tub as it was always full.

Not sure if I'll stay at POP again. When it first opened it was clean, cool, and kind of charming. During our last stay in 2007 it just seemed to be getting really run down and over crowded. When we checked into the room there was trash, and I found a damp spot on the comforter that smelled like urine. This we DID report, and people were sent over right away and the apologized over and over again, even calling to check in later that day. We enjoyed our recent All Star Movies stay much more..

jmj18
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Contemporary! NEVER again!

mom2morgan
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Contemporary! NEVER again!
Why? The decor doesn't appeal to me, but I know lots of people LOVE it - so it sounds like you may have had a particularly bad experience?

DisneyorBust
02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I have no desire to stay at the Grand Floridian ever again. We had no issues with unfriendly staff, the room was clean and there is a variety of dining options and multiple transportation options. So why wouldn't I stay there? It has nothing to do with the resort at all, just me. I feel as if I shouldn't be wearing normal park attire, nice shorts, golf shirt etc, that I need to wear something more appropriate for the surroundings.

Jenemmy
02-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I have no desire to stay at the Grand Floridian ever again. We had no issues with unfriendly staff, the room was clean and there is a variety of dining options and multiple transportation options. So why wouldn't I stay there? It has nothing to do with the resort at all, just me. I feel as if I shouldn't be wearing normal park attire, nice shorts, golf shirt etc, that I need to wear something more appropriate for the surroundings.

I kind of felt that way when I stayed at Yacht Club, although it was a beautiful hotel and not one thing wrong with it. I think I need something a little more laid back :mickey:

magicofdisney
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I stayed at the GF once and would return. Every other time I've stayed value. Any problems I've encountered at a value, I have encountered at other hotels during my travels over the years. I will gladly return to a value if it means I can go to Disney as much as I prefer which is usually once a month. I do like to avoid POP because of its size and the crowded buses.

I would pick a value any day over a moderate that doesn't offer an elevator. Having no elevator is completely unacceptable.

KAT1811
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
All that being said --- If I had to pitch a tent in the parking lot of the TTC to go to Disney, I surely would.

:haha: :camp: I think the majority of us would be right with you!!! Lol!

I'd have to say our least favorite was the Beach Club . . . Like I've said,everything is relative though.If they offered the BC for a value price I'd go back in a heartbeat but overall it just didn't do it for us for the price we spent.

I agree. :yes: I was disappointed with the BC as well. I too felt my money could have been better spent. The walk to Epcot was the only perk I saw. The pool was nice but if you have small children that want to play in different areas then it make a relaxing day at the pool a nightmare :dizzy: . At the other resorts you can lounge by the pool and watch the kids swim and slide instead of running around like a nut watching them (I'm one that likes my children in sight all the time, even my teenager, too many crazy people :crazy: out there)

I wouldn't stay at the Contemporary unless it was the last monorail resort left...not because of bad service or location, but we just feel it's an eye sore and lacks greatly in the theme dept....

...and when you spend that much on a vacation...you want it to be worth it..........

This just goes to show that everyone has different experiences at the same resort. I have stayed at Coronado Springs numerous times and have never had any issues with cleanliness or service. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I was thinking the same thing! Coronado Springs is our favorite moderate resort. The staff has always been wonderful and we've never had any issues. Plus Mike's sangria is the best I've had, it sure did make doing the laundry much more enjoyable!!! LOL!

The only resorts I would not go back to are Pop and CBR, not a fan of either. I like the values (movies and music) but not the POP. As far as CBR stands I really do not like that the front desk and the food options are in two searate buildings no where near each other. I found the resort huge and cold, just a bit univiting for us.

The BC I would only go back to if it were in a DVC unit. Other than that I didn't find it worth the money.

Rekenna
02-13-2010, 09:05 PM
We have always stayed at Values (love them!) out of Sports, Movies and POP we would veto staying at POP again. For us, it's too big, we loved Movies and Sports and would pick them or Music over POP. Also, we like the themeing of the All Stars vs. POP.

WDW84
02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I just got back from a short stay at the Dolphin and would not stay there again. Not sure if that counts for this discussion since it is a Sheraton hotel now. Staff,lobby, and grounds were nice but was not impressed with the room. It may have been the location - I was on the second floor which was actually downstairs from the lobby. Lots of dark narrow hallways - I felt like i was in the basement! My room was not very clean, very thin walls, and furniture/fixtures were old and showing wear. Not horrible but I would not want to be there for an extended stay.

Jenemmy
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I just got back from a short stay at the Dolphin and would not stay there again. Not sure if that counts for this discussion since it is a Sheraton hotel now. Staff,lobby, and grounds were nice but was not impressed with the room. It may have been the location - I was on the second floor which was actually downstairs from the lobby. Lots of dark narrow hallways - I felt like i was in the basement! My room was not very clean, very thin walls, and furniture/fixtures were old and showing wear. Not horrible but I would not want to be there for an extended stay.

YIKES -- I didn't even know there were rooms below the lobby! That's a shame. We stayed there last spring and liked it so much we are going back this spring. I don't think I would have liked to have been where you were put either, though......

forever a child
02-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Had this issue twice in one stay at POFQ!:mad:

Scar
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I just got back from a short stay at the Dolphin and would not stay there again. Not sure if that counts for this discussion since it is a Sheraton hotel now. Staff,lobby, and grounds were nice but was not impressed with the room. It may have been the location - I was on the second floor which was actually downstairs from the lobby. Lots of dark narrow hallways - I felt like i was in the basement! My room was not very clean, very thin walls, and furniture/fixtures were old and showing wear. Not horrible but I would not want to be there for an extended stay.Wow! I stayed there just a few months ago and everything was perfect. I'll have to remember to request a room not on the second floor next time.

jmj18
02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I would not stay at the Contemporary again because of the staff. We had a club level room and with the exception of Mousekeeping, I thought the staff was rude and not very helpful. One day I stood a good 15 minutes waiting for the 1 person working at the desk to end a call that clearly was not work related. Another night I asked how to get to the laundry facility and they couldn't tell me. I also felt that it was a very "cold" resort.

I have had a much nicer time with very helpful people at the Poly.

So for me the Contemporary would be a NEVER again.

badkitty
02-15-2010, 12:26 AM
I can't think of a Disney resort I wouldn't stay at (although I am far from staying at all of them) but one thing comes to mind:

- Any resort where the cheerleaders are staying. I have never met a ruder bunch of girls and the adults were not much better. I understand they want to have fun but running up and down the halls pounding on doors at 2 in the morning is not cool.

The lock issue happened to me at Pop. It was midnight after a long day at MK and it took two walks back to the front desk (the CM was a bit harsh as if it was my fault that I didn't know how to use the card key) until I got smart and used the house phone next to the elevator. It took another half hour until someone showed up to fix the lock. It had to be reprogrammed.

mom2morgan
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, I can see why poor service would be a major issue, when you are paying so much money!

I would not stay at the Contemporary again because of the staff. We had a club level room and with the exception of Mousekeeping, I thought the staff was rude and not very helpful. One day I stood a good 15 minutes waiting for the 1 person working at the desk to end a call that clearly was not work related. Another night I asked how to get to the laundry facility and they couldn't tell me. I also felt that it was a very "cold" resort.

I have had a much nicer time with very helpful people at the Poly.

So for me the Contemporary would be a NEVER again.

mom2morgan
02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I can't think of a Disney resort I wouldn't stay at (although I am far from staying at all of them) but one thing comes to mind:

- Any resort where the cheerleaders are staying. I have never met a ruder bunch of girls and the adults were not much better. I understand they want to have fun but running up and down the halls pounding on doors at 2 in the morning is not cool.

Yes - good point! They were at POR last time we stayed there - the "cheer practice" in the food court, the running up and down the paths shoving my youngest daughter out of the way.... Put a major damper on our stay. I'm sure individually they are very nice girls, but as a group they turn into something else!

WVParkfan
02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
We don't hate any of the Disney Resorts. But Pop was our least favorite. Given that there are many other choices, we will never choose to stay at Pop Century again (just too loud).

bkfree
02-15-2010, 11:16 PM
So far we would gladly go back to any of the resorts.
Our last trip was AKL and we loved it and felt it was the most unique resort we have ever stayed at. I guess I don't really get the "not Disney enough" remarks. For us because it is at WDW, that alone makes it uniquely Disney. No , MM is not running around the lobby or It's a Small World playing over the music system,that kind of Disney is what the parks give us.
We also loved YC, that location is truly a Disney lovers dream spot. We also loved Beach Club.
We are going to try out Coronada Springs in Sept. I am glad to see the reasons why some did not like it, not enough to change my mind.
On another site that rates them based on reviews of thousands of guests, Coronada got an 8.42 out of 10 rating.
Good Enough for us.
I am not surprised at all in regard to the Value remarks, the very reason we have not ventured there.

tdk316
02-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Coronado Springs, never again. Also wasn't thrilled with WL because of the transportation options, but love the building and grounds so it could be in the running again someday.

Tygger7
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Ditto for me as well...just not impressed with the resort.

rsulli61
02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
We had horrible customer service and felt that the rooms were out of date. The restaurants were OK (at best). But, the check-in staff could not have been ruder to us. We tried to talk to the manager, but she did not seem to care either. Very frustrating...

Ian
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
We had horrible customer service and felt that the rooms were out of date. The restaurants were OK (at best). But, the check-in staff could not have been ruder to us. We tried to talk to the manager, but she did not seem to care either. Very frustrating...Had a very similar experience staying at the Poly a few years ago (club level, no less!) and haven't been back since.

Probably never will either.

xo0ally
02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
POR

Both times we stayed there the rooms were just gross (we were tied into the second stay and couldn't switch resorts). Guest service at the main desk and in the gift shop were also abysmal.

But, lesson learned. We just don't go back.

i disagree i think this hotel is amazing. It could use a few updates but pleases me everytime i stay there. POFQ wouldd not go back there ever. Run down and dirty.

garthbarth1
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
We stayed at the Boardwalk last year, and never again! Mainly a couple of reasons, the main being dining options. If you are on the QS plan, which we were, there is ONE option to eat, without having to go to the Yacht Club. This was the bakery. How many times can you eat a cold sandwich or salad? There was a pizza stand there-does not take the dining plan. A hot dog stand...no dining plan accepted. What was left was Big River Grille (I think thats the name) and was a TS only, so we were so hungry we ended up paying out of pocket and the food was horrible and expensive! One night we went to the stand that sells popcorn...over an hour before they closed...the were out of popcorn...and refused to make us more. So frustrating. We ended up paying tons of money at the ESPN club (I think that may be another restaurant that doesn't take any form of the dining plan?) Besides the hallways were FREEZING and our room was at the end of the earth. And the nightlife left little to be desired. We were there in Sept, so maybe things were just slower. But looking at the resort online it seemed like there were all kinds of fun things to do on the boardwalk....there was one basketball throwing stand, and a street performer for about a half hour, and then the two nightclubs. (we are not nightclub people, so we were not interested in those). Overall we were very, very disappointed. Oh, and we did have to call security on the people who were in the room next to us and their kids were slamming into the walls at 1 am. The hotel was great and sent someone to their door quickly. The room was clean and charming as well. Overall, we were very disappointed in the resort and will never go back. We really like the Contemporary and would love to stay there next time!