PDA

View Full Version : R and C and eating with picking kids

3kingeryboys
01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I REALLY want to eat at the Rose and Crown in Epcot and my 3 DS dont like anything on the menu. Can they get something else like (i hate to say it) :blush:chicken nuggest??

I was just wondering.

KAT1811
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Most WDW restaurants are very helpful when accomodating picky eaters. No guarantee but I think they would be able to provide something. If not get your 3 year old something else from somewhere else before or after dinner.

KylesMom
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
When DS was 8/9, he was a really picky "plain meat and potatoes" kind of kid. On several occasions within WS, we asked for a simple meal for him, such as baked/grilled chicken or a burger. Unfortunately, not one place, LeCellier & Nine Dragons included, would accommodate us. They told us that they simply didn't have items available in their restaurant to make him anything - contrary to everything we'd heard and read before. Menus may change, but if they don't have the items on-hand that your children like, they can't make them for you. We thought it very strange that you could order tempura chicken or a grilled steak at these locations, but we couldn't get a plain chicken breast or burger at these same locations.

Now that DS is almost 12, he's more open to trying new foods so it's not as big of a deal - unless it's really exotic, he'll try it (and usually like it). However, if we know that we'll be eating at a location that's just not his style, we'll get him something to eat ahead of time to ensure that a) we're not wasting money on something he's not going to eat; and b) he can enjoy the things that he does like the most and we don't have to worry about our string-bean going hungry! I would ensure that if you do make the ressie at R&C that your kids aren't uber-hungry before you walk in, just in case they can't accommodate you. :mickey:

d_m_n_n
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
When DS was 8/9, he was a really picky "plain meat and potatoes" kind of kid. On several occasions within WS, we asked for a simple meal for him, such as baked/grilled chicken or a burger. Unfortunately, not one place, LeCellier & Nine Dragons included, would accommodate us. They told us that they simply didn't have items available in their restaurant to make him anything - contrary to everything we'd heard and read before. :mickey:

That is really disappointing to hear. I know one time at the Concourse Steakhouse, DS(6 at the time) wanted a chicken leg so badly, but all they had was strips on the meal. I will never forget the waitress saying "We'll see what Disney Magic I can find." 20 minutes later, DS had 2 chicken legs sitting in front of him!!! :mickey:

Anyway, at RandC they do have the normal kids' menu...I know DS had pizza there...If not, isn't there a McDonald's location not far from there???

KylesMom
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Usually the resort restaurants can accommodate these types of special requests, since there are so many restaurants in-house to choose from. The Concourse Steakhouse could have potentially "shared" with Chef Mickey's, Cali Grill, or Food & Fun Center. That's oftentimes why you hear of so many successful orders of simple foods - the resort restaurants have access to each other's. I think that Ohana's "kids items" may actually come from Kona Cafe'. However, the World Showcase restaurants are more limited in their items on hand. We were told nicely, but absolutely, that they didn't have these items in their kitchen to draw from. They weren't being difficult, they just didn't have the items in their kitchen. I am curious to know of others' experiences at the WS restaurants . . .

DVC2004
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
We were at R & C last month. My one son is picky and I recall there was pizza on the kids menu, and buttered noodles or noodles with sauce. I don't recall burgers or chicken.

Minnie97
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
We went there and I got chicken and french Fries:mickey:

mom2morgan
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Don't know if this will help your son - but we were really surprised they didn't have fish and chips on the kids menu (since, of course, the whole English pub thing is practically ABOUT fish and chips ) but when we asked, they were totally happy to serve her that.

Tinkermom
01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
When my kids were younger they too were totally picky (it DOES get better I promise!). We have actually stopped and picked up chicken nuggets and fries at the old McDonalds kiosk just before you walk into the World Showcase and brought that with us to places like Rose and Crown. There really is not much for kids on the menu at Rose and Crown and we too have had the experience of not being able to get something plain or simple at some of the WS restaurants. By grabbing something ahead of time for the kids, DH and I could enjoy a restaurant that we wanted to try. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
I know it's hard with picky kids and not always possible without causing a fuss-- but we tried to use those situations as opportunities to get the kids to try new foods. We would ask them to try something, even if they just ate the side dish or took one bite, and if they didn't like it, we would buy them something else after the meal-- as long as they made an effort to try something new. This always worked for us, and my kids started trying new things (even though it occasionally resulted in buying another QS meal later). A lot of times, they found new foods they liked and ended up eating the whole meal. By the time they were preteens, they were happy to be adventurous and try new things without prompting or bribes. Good luck!