PDA

View Full Version : Akl

wdwvacationeer
01-22-2010, 06:40 AM
We are trying to make up our minds about where to stay for our vacation this year. We are thinking about AKL. We have walked around the grounds after eating at Boma several times and find it to be really beautiful. I would love to hear from anyone about their stays at AKL that might help us to decide. Also, how is the bus service?

hannahandkalebmom
01-22-2010, 08:21 AM
AKL is a beautiful resort and we love waking up with the animals right outside our window. The bus service was fine last time we were there in 2007. It takes a while to get to the MK, but other than that it was fine. We leave in 1 week :cloud9: can't wait!! AKL here we come!

Tinkerfreak
01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
We have stayed here many times and it is one of our favorite resorts. It is relaxing and quiet and it is hard to beat waking up and having a giraffe right outside your window. I have enjoyed many cups of coffee sitting on the balcony watching animals.
The bus service was always pretty good but that was before Kidani Village. I have not stayed there since they added this. We loved the fact that you did not share busses with any other resort and most times went right to and from the parks with only an occasional stop at blizzard beach. However they now stop at Kidani Village also. When we ate at Boma on our last trip it took alot longer to get there because they went to Kidani first and then to Jambo. I would not let that keep me from staying there again though. We love the pool, Mara, Boma and the Zawadi Marketplace has the most unique items.
My girls have always loved the pool and water slide and DH and I have enjoyed a relaxing drink while they swim.

DizneyRox
01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
IMHO, AKL is the best resort on property. Themeing is top notch, better than any other resort. I've always found the the AK staff (AKL and AK) seem to be better than the rest of the CMs on property as well. Always helpful, accomodating, etc.

The busses have always been great for us. Now that Kidani is in the mix, it's a little different. for the parks, Kidani is the first stop, then Jambo. For DTD, it's Jambo first, then Kidani, this gives them a little bit of an internal bus system for those wanting to go between the two. Because of this, at times, it may mean that the bus is somewhat full by the time it gets to Jambo. I never saw it happen, but at Kidani stars filling up, it's going to be a possibility.

That wouldn't stop me from staying there though...

RedSoxFan
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I just loved my stay at AKL. It was so relaxing and peaceful. The lobby is amazing. My kids loved the pool. DH & I would walk the grounds every morning with our coffee and watch the animals. We had pool view rooms which was very nice. Would stay there again!!

TinkerbellsMom
01-23-2010, 10:43 AM
My recommendation is to go for it! My DD (age 9) proudly tells the CM everytime we check in that "she's home". It's our favorite resort as the theming is so unique and hard to find anywhere else in the states. We were surprised on our first visit at how much time we opted to hang out at the resort to experience all the resort has to offer. We find the resort to have a peaceful, warm feeling to it and a certain warm spicy scent that welcomes you when you enter Jambo House.

The resort offers special children activities throughout the day where they get to interact with a native African CM and earn a bead for completing the activity. At the end of the stay, the children make a special pledge to protect the animals and get a final bead to complete their bracelet. The activities are educationally centered and the interaction with the CMs is great as we found the CMs eager to share their culture with the kids.

We've stayed in all 3 basic room offerings - std, pool view, and savannah (free upgrade). Obviously, the savannah view is the dream, but we think all room categories are fine as there are so many places to view the animals if you don't have a savannah view.

Overall, we haven't had any issues with the buses, except for the fact that AKL is the farthest resort from all parks except AK - so ensure you give yourself extra time to get to the parks, esp. MK. The buses are now shared with Kidani Village and even though we don't like how Kidani Village gets the 1st stop over Jambo House, I would not let that stop us from staying there - ever.

It's funny, we're in the process of planning our May trip and thinking of trying the Beach Club, but having such an honest, hard time making the decision to not "go home" at WDW.

DakotaDisney
01-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I love AKL !!!!! I feel like it is my home at WDW, not that I have been there much, just 3 times, but when I go back that is where I want to stay.

The only other resort I have stayed at is POP. But I have been to a couple other resorts to eat and look around.

To me AKL is like an oasis from the crowds and busyness of the parks. I liked POP, but I felt like I didn't get away from the crowds at POP. Akl was quieter and calmer. Plus the decor, food, pool, and all the animals are sooooo cool! Unlike any other resort I have ever been to.

Some people talk about long rides, but I never thought they were. They have their own buses, so I thought it was fine. I haven't been there since they added Kidani Villages, so I don't know how much of an effect that had.

If you are going as adults I would definitely recomend AKL. If you have kids they would certainly enjoy it as well, but they would enjoy any resort. If you don't spend any time at the resort or don't really need a get away then you could save money at another resort.

I think the only way to go at AKL is with a Savannah View Room. If you can afford to do so, then go that route, because if you are going to pay that much to stay with the animals at AKL, then you may as well take full advantage of it with a Savannah View. The pool view is okay, but if you are going to have a view of the parking lot, I think a person could almost just as well stay somewhere else.

mrsgaribaldi
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
We stayed there without the savannah view room and it's still awesome. There are lots of places to sit around the resort and watch the animals. We spend very little time in our rooms anyway. The best was the night vision goggles, we did that a few times:mickey: