PDA

View Full Version : Monorail

droopy d.
01-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Can some please let me know where to catch the monorail so we can sit in the front?

SorcererJim
01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Sitting in front has been put on indefinite hold due to the monorail accident this past July. :(

DisneyFr33k
01-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Yeah, we tried last October only to find out that they weren't letting anyone. :(

The year before, we were lucky enough to ride in the front. We even got a special card from the driver.

It was hit or miss. You just had to be the first to get to the front and ask the driver. It was pretty competive as we saw familys running to beat one another to get to the driver!

brownie
01-22-2010, 06:45 AM
You ask the cast member at the head of the queue line. Sometimes you'd have to wait for the next monorail. You can ask but I'd expect the answer to be no (due to the monorail crash last summer.)

Strmchsr
01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
You ask the cast member at the head of the queue line. Sometimes you'd have to wait for the next monorail. You can ask but I'd expect the answer to be no (due to the monorail crash last summer.)

The answer is definitely no right now, and from the execs I spoke to last week it probably (but only probably) won't ever return.

BigThunderFan
01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I would be very careful about asking to ride up front. Many of the Cast Members are very sensitive (rightly so) about this because they lost a friend and co-worker.:(

NewDVCowner
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I had thought this would be something that would have changed both in WDW and DL, however when I was in Disneyland in December they were letting people ride up front. So, if you REALLY want to ride up front in a Monorail, just go to the West Coast.

BrerGnat
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Can some please let me know where to catch the monorail so we can sit in the front?

At the Tomorrowland station at DISNEYLAND RESORT in CA. :thumbsup:

Seriously.

They still allow riders in the front here, just not in WDW...

Melanie
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I had thought this would be something that would have changed both in WDW and DL, however when I was in Disneyland in December they were letting people ride up front. So, if you REALLY want to ride up front in a Monorail, just go to the West Coast.

That is actually surprising, but good to know. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Scar
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
That is actually surprising, but good to know. Thanks! :thumbsup:Maybe the ones at DLR never go in reverse. :shrug:

BigThunderFan
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Maybe the ones at DLR never go in reverse. :shrug:

That's what I was wondering too? Maybe they never have more than one on the track?

It has been way too long since I have been to DL to even attempt a guess at it. However, I will say that there has to be a really good reason safety wise as to why they do allow it out there.

NewDVCowner
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
There are only two trains on the track at any given time, or at least that was how it was running in December. In fact, we were waiting for a train in the tomorrowland station to get to the DLR and the train that we had just missed sat at the station for quiet a while because the train that was at the DLR station hadn't left the station yet. I guess they run it so one doesn't go until the other does as well. At least, that's how the cast member explained it to us.

DigitalDaredevil
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
We asked a CM in December if they thought it would ever reopen. The CM replied in a very stern and cranky tone, "Absolutely not".
Disney can do what they feel they need to do. Personally, I feel that the likelihood of it happening again is small, but no matter what you do, things happen. I say reopen it when the time is right.

BrerGnat
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Nope, the DLR monorails never travel in reverse, except when they are coming back onto the track from the maintenance shed, and only for a short distance. BUT, they don't run the trains with passengers when they are doing that...they close down the stations until they have the trains on the tracks. When they have to do a mid-day change to how many trains are running, or to take a train out of operation, they clear the line of any trains with passengers and shut down the stations.

Minnie97
01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
We ussally ask a cast member. They also maKe us get in the back after one stop if someone else is waiting to ride up there to.

faline
01-23-2010, 07:37 PM
We ussally ask a cast member. They also maKe us get in the back after one stop if someone else is waiting to ride up there to.

Unfortunately, as others have posted this is no longer an option. On our last couple of trips, we heard others asking only to be told that it was no longer allowed.

rubato
01-29-2010, 09:07 AM
We talked to the CM about it while waiting for the monorail. It is a definite no, but not just because of the accident. He told us that on an almost daily basis, people would get into screaming fights over who got there first and who had the right to ride up front. He said it was mostly husbands fighting and, since it was happening all the time, they cancelled riding up front anyway. The accident was just icing on the cake!

grumpydude
01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Makes you think about the times we did ride in the front:(.

DisneyorBust
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm glad that we had the opportunity to enjoy quite a number of rides in the front of the Monorail.
Hopefully, Disney will find a way to allow these rides to resume safely.

garymacd
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I was playing with the words in your post - as I usually do - 'cuz my mind works a little differently than some - and came up with, "Just ride up front in the Monorail to the West Coast!"

Wouldn't that be something!?!

Imagineer1981
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I have witnessed some of those fights for the front, scary stuff. I think riding in the front used to be really easy because not many people knew about it. Now with the internet and blogs and such, so many more people are aware of it and its tough to do, like waking Tinkerbell in the morning or finding a paintbrush. Maybe one day they will reopen it, but I bet the CMs are happy that they don't have to have guests in there anymore

DisneyDoug2
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
We were there in Jan and asked if we could site up front and the CM said they don' t allow that anymore. I asked why and he said it was a union issue. Not sure exectly what that means.

Scar
02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
We were there in Jan and asked if we could site up front and the CM said they don' t allow that anymore. I asked why and he said it was a union issue. Not sure exectly what that means.It means he didn't feel like talking about the emotional loss of a fellow CM. :(

BigThunderFan
02-05-2010, 03:21 PM
It means he didn't feel like talking about the emotional loss of a fellow CM. :(

Personally I think it is very poor taste for someone that knows about the situation to ask to sit up front anyway. Put yourself in the cast members shoes. Many of them probably feel guilty that they are still there and unhurt while their friend lost his life. Also I'm sure it is very unnerving for them knowing that something like this could happen at any time. Be considerate of those few that work there and think of their feelings prior to making a request like this.:(