PDA

View Full Version : Military Discount

pixiesmimi
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
There is a military discount out again this year but I was just reading the offer slowly and realized that there might be some changes this year. I have not contacted our local ITR yet to clarify but thought someone on here might know the answer.

Last year, the tickets available to the military were free 5 day tickets with the opportunity to purchase up to 5 more 5 day tickets for $99 each. The offer this year says the member may purchase up to 6 FOUR day tickets that may be used by them and/or their spouse, family, or friends for $99 each. Does this mean that the military member's ticket is no longer free and that one of the 6 allowed tickets is theirs or is theirs still free and they get an extra ticket this year? Also, this isn't as good a deal this year because the $99 ticket is only 4 days whereas it was 5 days last year. There are also black out dates this year in April and July 3/4 at MK. Don't you find it is strange that they would not let the military use their tickets at MK on the 4th of July of all holidays?

BrerGnat
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
This year's military ticket deal stinks, IMO. However, the fact that Disney even offered SOMETHING again this year for military is nice.

What is odd is that there are also blackout dates for the hotel discount, but they are not the same as the ticket blackout dates...

We are going March 26-April 2. We were able to get the room discount, but we are not even bothering with the Salute tickets, mainly because they will be blocked out during our stay. Even if they weren't, though, we'd probably not get them as 4 days is not enough and you can't upgrade them (except to an AP, which is too much).

There are also blackout dates on the free tickets given to those who do the volunteer thing this year.

A small part of me hopes that the blackout dates on resort discounts and special tickets means lower crowds the week before Easter (but I'm not counting on that).

As for your other question, there is no longer a FREE ticket given to the active duty military member. What is allowed is for either an active duty member OR his/her spouse to purchase a TOTAL of six tickets for this offer period. So, for example, the active duty member purchases one and then can get 5 MORE. Make sense?

You can also still buy the regularly discounted park passes through your ITT. They do not charge tax on them, so they are cheaper than at WDW.

Melanie
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
And these tickets aren't hoppers, which makes it even more unattractive. That option can be purchased for $25 though.

pixiesmimi
01-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Is this active duty only or retired members? I reread it all today and realized that is what they were saying and it wasn't such a good deal after all. I'm going to check out the other ticket options. This stinks after the good deal last year and then they block out the 4th of July for military. What gives here?

I didn't see any black out dates for the hotel. What are they? But the hotel and dining is still cheaper than our bounceback offer with free dining at least.

BrerGnat
01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Save up to 40% on rooms

Special deal for eligible members of the U.S. Military: Save up to 40% on rooms at select Disney Resorts!* For stays most nights January 3 to September 30, 2010, except not available 3/28-4/10/10 and 7/1-7/5/10.

Although, IF you check in PRIOR to the first blackout day of the period, you can get the discount for your entire stay. We are checking in 3/26 for 7 nights, and were able to get the discount for all 7 nights.

pixiesmimi
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
That's good. Now that I am understanding the language on this year's offer, I'm getting nervous that something isn't quiet right on our reservation now that I have cancelled the other ones. Don't need any snafus with 8 people depending on us.

BrerGnat
01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
That's good. Now that I am understanding the language on this year's offer, I'm getting nervous that something isn't quiet right on our reservation now that I have cancelled the other ones. Don't need any snafus with 8 people depending on us.

Give Magical Journeys a call. They can and will help you out to take advantage of any discounts you're eligible for. They are also a sponsor of this site. :thumbsup: I have my trip booked through MJ, and it's always a huge help to have someone looking out for you! You can transfer an existing reservation to them too.

wdwfansince75
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I called to check availability for several dates. The military discount is 40 percent for deluxe. Current dates are through the end of September, with the blackouts noted above. Offer is only good for the room occupied by an active or retired military person. Other rooms on the same reservation are at rack rate.

pixiesmimi
01-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Give Magical Journeys a call. They can and will help you out to take advantage of any discounts you're eligible for. They are also a sponsor of this site. :thumbsup: I have my trip booked through MJ, and it's always a huge help to have someone looking out for you! You can transfer an existing reservation to them too.

I am going through MJ but just wanted to be sure we have everything right because it isn't spelled out as well this year as it was last year and there seems to be some changes. Thanks!

I called to check availability for several dates. The military discount is 40 percent for deluxe. Current dates are through the end of September, with the blackouts noted above. Offer is only good for the room occupied by an active or retired military person. Other rooms on the same reservation are at rack rate.

Active Reserves with ID card should qualify for this, right?