PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Around THe World

Goofyjrzgrl
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey everyone!
My upcoming trip with DBF in June will be with our 2 friends who have never experienced Disney with us before :mickey:

One must-do on our list is drinking around the world at epcot.:thumbsup: I would love to hear any experiences, traditions, suggestions, or must have drinks you all may have!

Thanks!

DVC2004
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
There are some great drinks- we've never drank around the World (usually one or 2 drinks and we're done), but here are some of our favorites:

Mexico Margarita Stand. The Fiesta Margarita (a little of everything) is great. I know last month they had a blue one that was pretty good too (forgot the name).

Italy- Little stand out front sells Rosa Regale, a great sweet sparkling red. It's a dessert-type wine but it's very good.

France- Love the champagne or the Kir Royale. Also excellent: Grand Marinier Slushie or Grey Goose Slushie.

UK- My husband likes a "Black and Tan" from the Rose and Crown.

GBBT
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Both my Brothers-in-laws did this a few years ago and both my sisters pinned a paper with their names and resort they were staying at in case they got too drunk and got lost from my sisters.:D

crmark1
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Ive tried to do this before but there are to many countries! There is a stand close to Morocco that sells daquries. The last time I was there in 07 the cast member would say taste the drink before you pay. He then would add extra rum to it!! Loved this cast member!

Bay Lake
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
We do this this every time we are in Epcot. It is alot of fun. We always start in Mexico and finish in Canada(can only have a few margharittas).
Just hit Soarin' and Test Trac first or you will be:ack:
:marg::marg::beer::beer::wine::wine:

tinkerbelle75
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
We tried to do this, but somehow we always kept backtracking to Mexico for the Fiesta Margaritas!

tinkerbelle75
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
We do this this every time we are in Epcot. It is alot of fun. We always start in Mexico and finish in Canada(can only have a few margharittas).
Just hit Soarin' and Test Trac first or you will be:ack:
:marg::marg::beer::beer::wine::wine:

Yeah, I totally wouldn't recommend ToT after doing it either! :ack:

tinksmom02
01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Not in any real order, except that we always start in Mexico:

Mexico: Fiesta Margarita
China: at the tea stand, a peach schnapps-tea-frozen thing
Italy: bellini
Morocco: Sultan Colada
France: Grey Goose Slush
Germany: Spaten or Beck's
UK: Bass

Like someone else mentioned, we generally backtrack to Mexico for more :marg:

Norway is usually a restroom country :blush: but I've heard good things about the Viking Coffee and I've had Carlsberg before, so either of those would be good. We usually skip America, Japan (although I guess saki would be the beverage there), and Canada for some reason.

MOJoe
01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Last June i saw a group of about 10 that all were wearing the same T-shirts. The shirts had a list of all the Epcot countries, with a box beside their name. "Drinking Around The World" was in larger letters at the top of the shirt. As the group moved (staggered?) from one country to the next, they put a check mark on that country's box.
They must have started in Mexico, because by the time i met them at the Rose & Crown they were, shall i say.......in high spirits. This really looked like fun, and was surely a conversation maker wherever they stopped. The shirts were printed back home, and not sold at one of the Epcot shops. Too bad, 'cause i would have bought one and joined in the fun.

P.S. Take me with you!

dumbo_buddy
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
would love to do this on our trip in 4 days but seeing as i'll be with my 7 month old son, it's not in the cards.

friends of ours did it and had a great time. i was drunk-dialed when they were in france. the attempt at french was priceless! :party:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I attempted to drink around the world by having a beer in each country...after a few, it was evident the beer was winning. I really liked the Norwegian beer. I am not much for mixed or specialty drinks, so can't offer an opinion there.

Iluvpooh
01-20-2010, 06:02 PM
My Dh and I tried this once and once was enough. We shared specialty drinks from each country by the time we got to the UK I sat on the bench across from the phone booth and just leaned over and:ill: (Well you get the idea) They sent a crew to clean it up and I was crying and trying to help! My most embarrasing moment ever! I felt horrible the next day. Never mix rum and Sake and beer it makes for a bad day the next morning!

The Tangerine Drinks in Morocco were the best!
Good Luck!
Advice-locate all the restrooms before you begin!

cather74
01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
This is a favorite tradition. Have done this with my sister and husband. We take a picture in each country wearing the appropriate hat for that country and making the "appropriate face." By the time we get all the way over to Canada the "appropriate hat" is whatever we acan grab and the "appropriate face" is usually a drunk smile. Love it!!:marg::beer::blush:

mudpuppysmom
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
If we start in France I have a Grey Goose Slush.....and then a Fiesta Marg in Mexico.

If we start in Mexico I reverse the order.

That is my extent of "drinking around the world"......I'm a lightweight!

KatrinaJ91
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
We have done versions of this as well! This past summer, I discovered Epcot's Wine Walk. I bought an official card for $20. Unfortunately there were only 3 countries participating at the time, but when I went to Germany, Italy and France I presented my card and could get 2 small glasses of wine. The names of the wine are listed on the card and when you drank that particular wine, they stamped your card. I thought it was a good deal to get 6 small (approx 3 oz) of wine at 3 different countries! I still have the card hanging on my fridge...so I ended up with a souvenir as well. It would be great if all of the countries joined in though. In the other countries, I just paid full price for a glass of wine! It was really fun!

Captain_Nemo
01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I have done this a few times, It is great, if ya can handle it :P I, and most people I have seen doing it, start in Mexico and work your way around. Usually end in Rose and Crown in the UK, I mean you can hit Canada on the way out and grab a Labatt/Molson/Moosehead but its nothing special if you live in the US as most bars across the country carry these brands. Plus once ya get hammered up you always meet lots of interesting people in R&C!

Mexico - Dos Esques xxx/Margarita
Norway - Carlsberg -Beer
China - Tsang - Beer
Germany - Spatten - Beer
Italy - Reunite Lambrusco - Wine
America - Samuel Adams - Beer
Japan - Sake - Liquor
Morocco - Green Daquari
France - Champagne
United Kingdom - Here you can go a few ways. Imperial Sampler ($11.99) will give you smaller glasses of all the beers on top i.e. Bass,Guinness,Boddington's etc. but my fav out of all the drinks is a Welsh Dragon. I noticed it has been takin off the menu but you can still order it. It is by far one of the best drinks in WS.

Also stop by Tambu Lounge in Poly and grab a Captain's Mai Tai in a full pineapple! yum

Iluvpooh
01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I forgot to mention my favorite beer- the Casa beer also in Morocco.

Captain_Nemo
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
oh I never tried that! where is it served?

Iluvpooh
01-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Tangeirine Cafe' It comes in a brown bottle that looks kind of like a Red Stripe. (short and fat) I'm pretty sure you can get a different version of it (green bottle) during F&WF.

DVCJohn
01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I went 'Drinking Around the World" last week.
I don't remember too much except getting a Sam Adams at USA and also eating a funnel cake.
People were giving me strange looks.:sick:

dragon73
01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
United Kingdom - Here you can go a few ways. Imperial Sampler ($11.99) will give you smaller glasses of all the beers on top i.e. Bass,Guinness,Boddington's etc. but my fav out of all the drinks is a Welsh Dragon. I noticed it has been takin off the menu but you can still order it. It is by far one of the best drinks in WS.

Me too! Our first Drinking Around the World was actually started because of the Welsh Dragons, many, many moons ago! Always a tradition on every trip - I always partake in a few of them. An acquired taste for sure, but addictive to say the least. Three more months until I can wander into the R&C and grab some more :)

SBETigg
01-21-2010, 03:05 PM
We'll only do three or four countries at a time, and we like to share snack foods or CS meals along the way, too. It's a great lunch or light supper. I don't recommend drinking too much at a time. It just kills the fun if you get sick.

Another fun thing to do is to drink around the monorail resorts. Start at Tambu lounge and share a Lapu Lapu, go to the GF pool bar or Mizners or Narcoossee's for a glass of wine or mixed drink, end up at California Grill (if it's not too crowded and they are still allowing people up just for a drink or snack).

dumbo_buddy
01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Another fun thing to do is to drink around the monorail resorts. Start at Tambu lounge and share a Lapu Lapu, go to the GF pool bar or Mizners or Narcoossee's for a glass of wine or mixed drink, end up at California Grill (if it's not too crowded and they are still allowing people up just for a drink or snack).

that sounds fun!

i don't know about anyone else, but after samantha brown told us all about the gran marnier slush, i just had to have one! and....:sick: yucka!

the gray goose one is lovely though!:D

SBETigg
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I like the Grand Marnier slush, but I also prefer the Grey Goose one. And the Fiesta Margaritas. I also like to do wine tastings in France, Germany, and Italy.

Daisy'sMom
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I must be getting old. This just seems so silly. But whatever makes you happy. Just don't get loud and obnoxious like so many that have had to much to drink. There are alot of children that will be watching.

QTPie68
01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
DH and I did (well, I did a more :blush:) a little of this our last trip to EPCOT.

We started in Mexico with the mango 'ritas. We were going to share, but since I was just sucking it down, DH ordered himself one. We were standing outside of the Norway ride, trying to drink them up, but the nice CM said "go ahead, take them with you, enjoy!!". I have to admit, that Norway ride was much more exciting :party:.

Then we did wine in Germany...make that two for me :cloud9:. Then lunch with drinks in Morocco. DH went back to the room for a nap. I proceeded to shop the rest of the countries and had a flake bar (:thumbsup:) and a pint of cider in UK. I was having so much fun, drinking my cider :beer: and watching the people walk by :D.

Can't wait untill our trip to do it again....maybe this time I will hit France's champagne!

Captain_Nemo
01-22-2010, 01:13 AM
lol I was there last week alot of people were drinking around the world.

Tinkerfreak
01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I must be getting old. This just seems so silly. But whatever makes you happy. Just don't get loud and obnoxious like so many that have had to much to drink. There are alot of children that will be watching.

I second this. The year before last we were there with our two DD's 10 and 13 and my youngest got her sweatshirt burned by a young man who was intoxicated and smoking. Thank goodness it was a thick enough sweatshirt that it did not burn her skin but let me tell you that is unacceptable. :nono: When my momma bear instincts kicked in I was tempted to grab on to him and sober him up real quick with my fist but if I had acted like that I would have been no better than him. There was a big group walking around drunk and he staggered into her. We have been to F&WF many times and seen some people tipsy but this was the worst ever. If you want to drink until you are drunk go to a bar not around kids and families.

This really is in no way meant to judge anyone and I am not agains having a few drinks while strolling the WS, DH and I do this too but please make sure someone in your group stays sober to keep an eye on the rest. Sometimes when drinking you might not realize how tipsy you are but someone with you who is sober will.

laprana
01-22-2010, 09:56 AM

:ditto:

This is just one of those things that I will never understand why it's so appealing.

bruin1344
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
i recommend split 1 drink with another person a country to save on costs and not to get overly drunk. If you are still sober afterwards, then go to Jellyrolls at Boardwalk.

KatrinaJ91
01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
So....what exactly is in a Welsh Dragon???

Iluvpooh
01-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I had one once and thought it was horrible, but others really seem to like them. I THINK it is Peach Schnapps, Mint Shnapps, and OJ.

Maleficent's Dad
01-23-2010, 09:46 AM
So....what exactly is in a Welsh Dragon???
Peach schnapps, Melon liqueur, créme de Menthe, Orange Juice, and Pineapple Juice

Not my cup of tea... ;)

KatrinaJ91
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
ahhhh....I hate peach schnapps. oh well, plenty more to choose from! :mickey:

mainemajor
02-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Another time to do this is during the Food and Wine festival in the fall. You have A LOT more opportunities and locations to enjoy regional adult beverages. To be fair you should spend a couple of days doing this and don't forget the regional foods offered at all the different kiosks that spring up around the world during this fesival.