PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm thinking about....

Kennywife
01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I love to write and work as a travel writer. I've been published on several internet sites and enjoy what I do.

Here's my idea. I have tons of stories about traveling 'on location' and what goes on behind the scenes of writing a good story. :surf::badpc::joy:I'm thinking of writing a book about the experience of being a travel writer.

What do you think?

SBETigg
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Why not put together a proposal and query some literary agents? Would it be a memoir? A collection of essays? Fiction?

Ian
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM
The first thing I always think of when ideas like this pop into my head is, "Who would pay for this and how much would they pay?" so you should consider to what target audience you could market a book like this.

Would it be something that was insider-focused, so your only audience would be other writers (or even just other travel writers) or would you view this as a commercial venture that the typical reading public would buy?

Strmchsr
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Both points above are great. Doing a proposal is the best way to start. Then you know if anyone is interested in publishing the book or if you need to look at self-publishing. You don't want to invest a ton of time writing only to not have the book published. Most publishing houses have guidelines on proposals. Check the travel section of your local bookstores, see who publishes those kinds of books then check their websites for proposal guidelines.

SBETigg
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
A really helpful book is Jeff Herman's Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers. You can find it in the reference section. It talks about markets, specifically which agents/editors/houses are interested in what kind of projects, plus some biographical info on the personalities involved (which helps to make connections). And in the back, there's a section on writing non-fiction proposals. Nonfiction, you can sell on proposal. Fiction, you have to write the book first. In either case, it really does help to have a literary agent (but that's not always necessary).

Kennywife
01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
It's gonna be like a memoir. It's from my own experiences. Thanks for the advice guys!

Anna