PDA

View Full Version : outdoor rides in the rain?

sbgat711
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
How hard does it have to rain before an outdoor ride (e.g. test track) is shut down? and any thoughts on going to a park on a day where there are "scattered thunderstorms" the forecast?

Strmchsr
01-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Shutting down a ride depends on a lot of factors - lightning present, rain intensity, wind intensity among them. So, there's no one specific answer to your question. However, when they do have to shut down it's usually temporary. I've ridden most all the rides in the rain. So, a scattered thunderstorm forecast shouldn't impact your decision.

Mousemates
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
in the summer what days don't have "scattered thundershowers" in the forecast...;)...just poncho up and keep riding....most of the rides are indoor anyway...and the ones that aren't....well rain sometimes "thins the herd" on them and can actually make the wait time a little less.

TheRustyScupper
01-19-2010, 04:39 PM
1) Tough to call.
2) Of course, any sign/thought of lightning stops almost everything.
3) As for rain, it is more difficult.
4) But, seeing a guy in robes building a boat might mean closures.

g0189a
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Test Track may not be the best example to use. It seems to shut down regardless of weather. :ill:

We were in DW in December and Test Track was broken within an hour of closing one day so they just shut it down for the night. (30 minutes in line wasted) Then we went a day or two later and it was suffering from some more mechanical problems. We had fast passes and everything! :mad: How often does this ride go down? I seem to remember other mechanical difficulties on previous trips too.

Overall I'd have to say the outdoor roller coasters like Thunder Mountain railroad seemed to be affected the most while indoor rides fared just fine.

I have not been to Animal Kingdom in the rain so I can not tell how outdoor rides needing brakes like Everest and Dino land rides do.

BigThunderFan
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I would say since it opened, Test Track has actually been closed about as much as it has been running... :thedolls:

Seriously though, it is the attraction with the highest rate of down time. But of course it also has more things to fail. With such a high level of technology you expect a higher frequency of downtime. Just the way it works. I think I read that each car on TT actually has 3 computers running it.

Imagineer1981
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
For the most part, most outdoor rides will continue normal operation unless lightning is in the area. Test Track is the one exception, since essentially it is a real car, it is effected by weather conditions more, just like your personal car, and its not as safe to run in heavy rains

Captain_Nemo
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
I left on Saturday and it was pouring with a little thunder and lightning, I thought wow, this would be great on Jungle Cruise! and it made the experience so much more realistic. The rain and lightning/thunder made it feel as you really where in a tropical rain forest in an exotic place. Also the fact that you are staying completely dry while this is all happening is great aswell :)

Iluvpooh
01-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I think it REALLY has to be pretty bad to shut down a ride. I once rode BTMR in a downpour!

wdwfansince75
01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Our clan usually visits in late June/Early July..."Scattered Thunderstorms" are almost always in the forecast....
MK can be fun in the rain...crowds thin out immediately....but during the summer, they return once the rain stops...Some rides, especially BTMRR, Splash, and Jungle Cruise, are even better in the rain...Others, like the Indy Speedway, have uncovered lines, but it isn't a favorite for our family, so we just avoid it....Just remember that the loading/unloading areas for Splash and JC are outside....
In EPCOT, TT usually shuts down with very little rain...but when it rains at EPCOT, the crowd thins out, and stays low the rest of the evening.....
At DHS, Indy and the stunt show shut down from time to time...suspect B&tB does as well...At AK, we've riden (and enjoyed) Kali, and the Safari in the rain...Haven't experienced EE in the rain, but bet it would be fun...

Tick-Tock
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
One of my best memories is riding Dumbo at DL in the pouring rain on my 33rd birthday. We even kept the umbrella up as we circled around. It was a walk-on (for Dumbo!) at 10 a.m. on a Saturday because of the rain.

Stich8818
01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I dont think I could imagine riding Test Track in the rain. I have ridden roller coasters in the rain and it felt like 100 million bee stings to the face and body.

Zawadi
01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
We rode Test Track this past December. We entered the q-line wearing ponchos as there was rain in the air. Once inside it was getting warm and we took our ponchos off. As we got towards the front of the q-line we were watching the cars return inside - everyone seemed dry, so we boarded the ride minus the ponchos. Big mistake!
As the crash door opened - it was raining. Drowned rats exited the ride. The ride then closed due to adverse weather conditions.

Rekenna
01-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi! Let me just add, that if you can find a nice cozy spot to wait out the rain-you may get the park to yourselves after the rain stops.

2 trips ago, it rained really hard one day, at the time we had DS9, DS2, and DS1. We found a nice covered spot in MK with a table. The big boys got lunch at Columbia Harbour House and brought it around. We waited there, sang songs, talked about what else we were going to ride, ate lunch, watched everyone else leave and just relaxed (everyone was well behaved this day).

When it stopped raining we had the park to ourselves-it was awesome! We stayed until close, rode everything the boys wanted to ride, sometimes twice and had one of the best days we have ever had as a family together.

So, I guess I'm trying to say the rain doesn't always have to be bad thing. And if it isn't too terrible may actually work in your favor as long as it isn't a total washout. Have fun!:mickey:

TinkerbelleRoo
01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I was at WDW this past May and it rained almost every day. The first day when I arrived, it started to thunder and lighting. I was on the Railroad at MK and they made a stop at Frontierland and announced that because of the weather, everyone had to get off.

It started pouring for most of the rest of the evening and I found that in all the rain during my trip, MK was the best park to do in that kind of weather.

I'm sure Dumbo, Aladdin, Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer, and Astro Orbiter are closed. Not sure about Thunder and Splash, but would assume those are closed as well.

Yet most of MK is covered and you can always take paths through stores and quickservice restaurants to avoid the rain.

The worst park was Epcot with this kind of weather. Nothing was close enough to each other . Its fine if you were already situated in a pavillion but if you were in transit, you had to make a mad dash and who knew how long you'd be stuck.

TinkerBell-Bell
01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I actually find the rain more of a help then a hindrance. Don't think I've ever been when a rides had to close due to the rain, it just means the queues thin out, and if you're like my family, and used to a colder climate, you'll actually find it really refreshing, especially around midday, when you'd otherwise be contemplating making the trek to the nearest pool to cool off anyway.

finaldynasty
04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it depends on how hard it rains but I have never worried because it usually does not rain very long. I have not seen a ride close for more then an hour.

LudwigVonDrake
04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I have seen them close rides because lightning is nearby and possible on the way. Rain? Towel off when you're done riding :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I agree with the other posters, it is lightening, not the rain that seems to cause the problems with the rides.

That being said, other than TT, we've never not been able to ride a ride due to weather. Sometimes we've had to come back in a few hours, but weather doesn't seem to last too long in Florida :thumbsup:

Don't let "scattered thunderstorms" impact your plans at all, I think every single day we've ever spent at Disney has had "scattered thunderstorms" in the forecast!

dinahvixen
04-18-2010, 10:51 AM
We were there in Sept, rained pretty steady all morning the morning we were going to Epcot - so I thought ahead and brought spare clothes for my dd2 and dd8 - and we all had ponchos. Did a few rides in FW, low crowds (but it was also Sept). Then, the rain ended by around noon and my girls found a little play fountain on the path from FW to WS, and played in it for half an hour! People were taking pictures of them - there was hardly anyone else around. Fun time, plus, after the fountain playing, I was able to use those spare clothes we didn't need in the rain!

SandmanGStefani24
04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I think it REALLY has to be pretty bad to shut down a ride. I once rode BTMR in a downpour!

Us too! Last trip is was raining pretty good and we still got to ride it. Lots of fun, and you really dont notice the rain, except for the occasional hit to the face. :D

In fact, all rides were running now that I think about it. Its gotta be pretty crazy before they call it a day at WDW but you wouldn't be hanging around if it was that bad anyway....

well...maybe I would.:mickey: