PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Alone for the First Time?

beksy
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Let me just start this by saying I'm not sure if it is in the right place or not. I was planning a trip with my sister for September for MNSSHP and a quick getaway before the APs expire. We both love Disney and had talked about it. Then last night she suddenly decides that she is tired of Disney and does not want to go anytime soon. I was shocked since she hadn't mentioned it earlier and I thought she was as hooked as I was. Obviously not. She is my best friend and travel partner. I have always traveled with either my parents and her or just her. I am 27 and live alone (4 hours from them) but my Mom is VERY protective. Anyway, at first I was dissappointed (ok, still am) but then I decided that maybe I would just take the trip by myself. I am usually a loner anyway and it doesn't scare me to travel alone but it would be completly new to me. So, what are your thoughts? Should I take the leap and go for a trip alone or try to find someone else or wait around for her? What are some of the advantages or disadvantages and any experiences would be helpful! I'm also debating between the Flower and Garden Festival (never been but always wanted to) or September for MNSSHP (I love that!). Please Help!

faline
01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Why not go alone?

Advantages include doing what you want when you want.

Disadvantages include not having someone to share the experience with.

wilcat
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Take your solo trip! I went on one myself and I have to say I had the best time. I only had myself to answer to and it was great. Did what I wanted, rode what I wanted, ate what I wanted when I wanted and had many many great conversations with other WDW vacationers. I say GO! GO! GO!
Have a great time.

Humphrey
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Go, I go alone all the time. While its nice to have someone to share experiences, its great to set your own schedule. Do what you want when you want without having to see if someone is willing to do it as well. Plus it makes me open to meet others and talk with them.

Just do it! Oh wait somebody else took that phrase. Well, just do it anyway!

WishingStar2006
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I toook my first solo trip last year for my birthday....sons were in college and I wanted to celebrate my birthday in WDW...so I went. This was the first tim I had been to WDW without my boys and I didn't know if I would just sit and mope, missing them or have fun. Honestly, the first day or so was full of memories of past trips but it was ok...by about halfway through the second day it was like...WOW, I can go where I want to go, eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat, ride the rides that I wanted to ride...wait in a line if I wanted to...or not! It was GREAT!!!!

As previous posters said, there's always someone to talk to while waiting in line. Just bring a book if your uncomfortable sitting at a TS restuarant by yourself....but I found the CM's in the restuarants very nice!!!

I had such a great time, I have another solo trip planned in 39 more days!!!!!

By all means, GO!!! You'll have a great time!

gerald72
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Go!
I haven't gone alone, but would love to. One of these years I will. You can stop to look at whatever you want, do whatever you want. So much freedom!

Tricia2000
01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I would love to go to Florida right now all by myself just to sit by the pool. Instead we're all going on Thursday! And, I will sit by the pool. Yes, I will. Probably not by myself, though.

Which brings me to my point. I get being over Disney. I may be close myself. But, being lazy at a resort... I'm not over that. Maybe you can talk her into going with you but plan on spending your days apart. If I were your sister, I'd spend all my time at the pool, for example.

Dznygrl79
01-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Do it!

As a solo traveler, and a female solo traveler I think Disney is a good first trip. You already know you love it so you will have a new perspective on the experiance by traveling alone.
It is much safer then going to a city for a first solo trip because Disney is crawling with CM's and security. I have been going solo for the past three years afte ending a relationship and I will tell you its a different experiance to go it alone but so well worth it. You can follow your own whims if one moment you are in the Magic Kingdom and you decide you want to go to a pool you can without disappointing anyone else cause you have nothing but truely free time. Also solo trips are great for behind the scenes tour.

Enjoy yourself, do it, take a cell phone if you want to be connected, after all theres nothing like calling someone and playing ride music in their ear!

divinedi
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Do it, do it, do it, go by yourself! As everyone has said, there's nothing like the freedom to do things on your schedule, with no one to answer to, no one whining that they want to go here or there! You can stop and watch the street shows if you want, no one I've ever been with ever wanted to take the time and I get a big kick out of them! Sleep as much or as little as you want, anyway you get the picture. Have fun!