PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to WL from POR???

goofynmd
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
DH shocked me today and asked about the price of upgrading from POR to a deluxe resort. We are booked in a standard room at POR for us and our two DS (5 years and 9 months). I have read through the descriptions of each resort (and made a spreadsheet :blush:) and am looking for what pros and cons people see with each one. We plan on using Disney transportation the entire time. IF we were to stay at a deluxe then I will probably change our park tickets from the Hopper pass to a base ticket.

Seeing as the kids our young we spend most of our time at MK. But DS#1 also loves Studios. We are going for 8 days, so we plan to take things slow.

Gregandmel
01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
We stayed at WL last October and absolutely LOVED it. If cost were not an issue, we would be staying there again, but on our next trip, we will be staying at POFQ. You will love the theming at WL along with their pool, the nightly Electric Water Pagent which floats by (around 9pm) the boat over to MK and even seeing some of the fireworks each night. It's a beautiful resort!!! The rooms are larger too (2 queen beds OR bunk beds if you request) Although we haven't stayed at POFQ yet, I too have done extensive research and we are excited to try a larger food court (WL only has a counter service and it's somewhat limited, but has everything you would probably want for you & your kids) as well as many different activities at POR (fishing, carriage ride, etc..). I don't think you can go wrong at either one - just depends on what you are looking for. WL seemed very quiet and relaxing and like I said - if cost weren't an issue, we would stay there again in an instant. But since we can't, we are looking at the "glass as half full" and realizing there will be some fun things to do at POFQ. Have fun with your decision!!! :thumbsup:

retiredfigment
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
We have stayed at both. I love WL!! Pros, take ferry to MK which is very convenient, bus service quick and easy to get to, (no walking outside), great restuarant, they offer games for kids in afternoon and movies on beach at night, beautiful lobby, geyser, larger rooms. When we stayed at POR I did like their food court and it is very pretty, but you have to walk alot more to get to anything.

kakn7294
01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
If the budget is an issue, I'd stick with POR. WL is hands-down my (and my family's) favorite resort but POR is quite beautiful as well. Another option would be to split a stay between the 2 resorts, enabling you to stay at WL but still keep the expenses down.

Ian
01-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Personally, if money is any kind of an issue, I'd tell you to stay at POR. WL is probably one of my top five favorite Disney resorts, but POR is pretty darn good too and I'm not sure the extra money is really going to be worth it.

You'll love POR ... it's a gorgeous resort.

Hammer
01-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I'll say right now that I did not like POR. Stayed there twice and had bad housekeeping both times ( which I reported) and the Food court cleanliness was not maintained. I found the All-Stars had a cleaner food court. I will say the exterior of the resort is pretty. Now, I did not have any of these issues when I stayed at POFQ and would recommend there, especially with the ages of your children and the pool there. If money is not an issue, I would stay at WL, though.

mom2morgan
01-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I LOVE POR and have always enjoyed staying there, but given an opportunity, I'd always stay at a Deluxe. I am splitting my next stay so I can try out AKL without having to pony up that much money for all 8 days.

brownie
01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd save the money and stay at Port Orleans Riverside. I enjoyed our stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but I liked Port Orleans Riverside better.

VWL Mom
01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
With the 9 month old, if you can swing it, I would say go with WL if you will be spending much of your time at MK. When mine were little it was so easy to hop the boat back and forth at naptime with the baby while DH and DS continued on in the park.

#1donaldfan
01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
We love POR for the relaxing, laid back feel we get every year....we've been to the WL several times "eating / visiting" and find that resort beautiful, but I just can't see shelling out the additional $$ for a room we only shower n sleep in .... we spend very little time in our rooms.....that just MHO......:cool:

goofynmd
01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I appreciate all of the feedback. DH gave me the okay to book WL. I love the fact that it is so close to MK and that one of us could go back to the room with the baby while the other stays in the park with DS#1. Or DH goes back with both kids and mommy goes off on her own!:secret:

I really liked when DH and I stayed at POR (pre-kids), but we won't be renting a car so the thought of one bus stop, and smaller grounds is also appealing with the having little ones.

We are typically frugal with our money, huge savers, and middle of the road people which is why I was shocked when DH even suggested an upgrade. But by dropping to a base ticket the difference in price between POR and WL is only ~$450 for 7 nights. I am soooo excited. I have never even visited WL, but the pictures look amazing.

mom2Z&A
01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
WL is wonderful! :number1: Worth the little bit extra. Make sure to take the WL tour. Your DS#1 will enjoy it...

mom2morgan
01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Or DH goes back with both kids and mommy goes off on her own!:secret:

I totally vote for that one! Have a great trip - this sounds like your reward for normally being frugal and sensible ;-)