PDA

View Full Version : Pirated League

crmark1
01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Has anyone tried the Pirate League at the Magic KIngdom? My 5yo DS wants to try it, and not just the regular one, he wants the Captians adventure for $125. It had better be a very very good costume for $125. I could get him 5 years worth of Halloween costumes for this amount.

SBETigg
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
No personal experience with it. But... five years of costumes for that amount? I hardly ever got away with spending less than $40 a year on Halloween costumes. But keep in mind that you're not just paying for the costume. You're paying for the experience. The personal attention, the accessories, the makeup and time to apply. Yes, it's pricey. Will it be worth it? Only you and your child can decide.

Ms. Mode
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm just wondering how much BBB costs?

I don't know about the pirates, but over in HS they take children from the crowd and train them during the show to fight Darth Vader and the storm troopers...it's really great! Of course, the kids don't get to keep the robes and it doesn't cost you anything. Even if you do the pirates thing, one day you might want to go try this too...just for fun and memories. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
You have to decide if it is worth it for yourself. You are talking about $125. Only a very small portion of that covers the costume, accessories, and "stuff". A bulk of that is for the experience.

At the end of the day, how much is your child's enjoyment worth to you? If you can afford it, go for it. If not, then don't. Some people have the means to pay their 5 yo children $125 a week in allowance. It depends on what you are comfortable with. $25 a year for a Halloween costume leads me to believe that you are a little more frugal (like me) with their money and weigh the options.

dragon73
01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's still active, but while we were there at the beginning of December, I received two notifications that there was a 50% off promotion going on at Pirates League. One notification was from my Annual Pass, but the other was just a leaflet in our resort room at Pop Century. I can't remember the end date of the promo - and if you don't have an Annual Pass or are not staying on property, not sure if it there's anything else out there. It's worth looking into!

crmark1
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm just wondering how much BBB costs?

I don't know about the pirates, but over in HS they take children from the crowd and train them during the show to fight Darth Vader and the storm troopers...it's really great! Of course, the kids don't get to keep the robes and it doesn't cost you anything. Even if you do the pirates thing, one day you might want to go try this too...just for fun and memories. :thumbsup:

He already knows about the Jedi Training and we plan to try to do it also! He's a big Star Wars fan just like dad. Guess he's going to grow up to be a geek just like me.

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
I had three kids do it on New Years Eve. The other did BBB. The three I was with at the Pirate League had a blast. We did the cheaper packages and price was half off so $25 per child. We saw many other kids with the Captains Package and they all looked cool. That was also half price when we checked in. So for $67.50 for one kid I would have done it.

Any way you go have a great time!

buzznwoodysmom
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Why not buy his costume before you go. That would save you a ton. The other package is just around $50, so you'd be way overpaying the costume. My son did the pirate league in Nov. He too wanted to do the most expensive one, but I put my foot down. He has lots of pirate costumes already and I wasn't about to spend that much for another one. So I let him put together his favorite pieces and he was content with that. I imagine you could find something very similar on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Pack it in your luggage and before you head to the park that morning you could surprise him with it. Or you could bring it with you and let him change just prior to going to the pirate league. My son loved it, he actually convinced his older brother to do it too, so we went back later in the day. My kids had just as much fun as the kids who were getting the more expensive package, its all about the experience. We had the 50% off so it was only $25 per child, and we had enough left over on a disney rewards card to pay for one of them. It was a wonderful experience for both my kids and well worth the price, even if we had paid full price.

TheRustyScupper
01-15-2010, 12:22 AM
My 5yo DS wants to try it, and not just the regular one, he wants the Captians adventure for $125.

{IMHO}
1) I love my kids and grandkids.
2) But, I don't think I love them that much.
3) BBB and Pirates seem to be just a money drain.

Disneymom201
01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
My son's (ages 10 and 6) did the Pirate's League this past November. I had them signed up, then later learned that we could save 50% (yeah!) I too was hesitant about the cost of the costume package. I located pirate costumes on e-bay (Disney, New with Tags) and brought them with us. To be honest, I was a little hesitant/embarrassed about not purchasing the 'package to include the costume' but we had already had a lot of money spent on the vacation. The boys changed after the make- over and the host showed them where to change (so it really was no big deal).
The boys absolutley LOVED it. (I thought perhpas my 10 year old would think he was too old, but he was NOT!).
The atmosphere is really fun, and the decor is awesome. The 2 gentlemen who completed the makeovers were very 'pirate like.' They were scarcastic with humor (very approprite to both boys). The boys spent a lot of time in their chairs laughing (although they had to 'hold still').
I would highly recommend doing this. It was truly a great memory.

2005-2007 off property
2008 Grand Floridian
2009 Wilderness Lodge
October 2010 ????????