PDA

View Full Version : Should WDW add WonkaLand

Gator
01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I was thinking to myself, what if there was an area or attraction that was like the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory film? I'm not talking about that morbid and uber-dark remake that came out a few years ago. I mean the good one with Gene Wilder, the Orange OompaLoompas, and that unbelievable music.

Maybe they could put it in the Imagination area at Epcot - maybe even replace Figment since nearly everyone on this board hates the new version. That might work since the theme of the movie was "Land of Pure Imagination." They could hire short people and costume them as OompLoompas (like my wife :D). They could have the kid play area as the Chocolate Room, with lots of things to discover. The ride could be the WonkaWash or the Scary Boat Ride.

Who can take a rainbow,
sprinkle it with dew
cover it with chocolate
and a miracle or two....

ChipNDale79
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
i can see a boat ride on chocolate lol...that would be great.

Lakin
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't think Disney has the rights to Willy Wonka stuff, but if they ever did, this would be a fun idea.

And thanks for clarifying that they would have to base it off of the good version. I strongly, strongly dislike the Johnny Depp version.

I'm not sure if I would want a whole new section for it, but I could imagine a whole building for it in EPCOT. And a section of the building would teach you about candy making. And free samples! :p (okay, okay, I'm getting far fetched)

SBETigg
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't think they have the rights to Wonka, do they? As much as I love Johnny Depp, I agree that his Wonka was way off. Not a fan of the Depp/Burton version. I love the original! And it would be fun, but hard to actually pull off with all the candy and sanitary concerns. Wouldn't kids be disappointed if there wasn't a lot of actual candy for the grabbing?

Lakin
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think they have the rights to Wonka, do they?

Not from what I know. I think it was just a brainstorm.

Gator
01-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't think they have the rights to Wonka, do they?

C"mon, man. It's just a cool idea. And really, if Disney wanted to buy Wonka, it would happen overnight.:mickey:

SBETigg
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
C"mon, man. It's just a cool idea. And really, if Disney wanted to buy Wonka, it would happen overnight.:mickey:

I didn't totally shut it down, just keeping it real. I don't think they would even bother with trying to get the rights because a land of candy would not be a big draw for a lot of parents with children, and to do it without actual candy would be a big let down for kids. But it's a nice dream. That water ride after the chocolate room would be a wild one indeed.

Polynesian Dweller
01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
And really, if Disney wanted to buy Wonka, it would happen overnight.:mickey:

Except that the rights belong to Warner Brothers now. They have been involved in both movies and it was their managing to obtain all rights that led to them releasing the Johnny Depp version in 2005.

As interesting as the idea is, and I've thought the same every time I've seen the original, its not likely that WB would give up the rights to another movie studio (Disney). Oh well, it would be a good idea.

Joannelet
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
That is really funny that you mentioned a land of candy!
If you don't know Walt Disney originally wanted the spot where the Matterhorn is in Disneyland, CA to be a mountain of candy.
Then someone talked him out of it by saying don't you think that after a while looking at candy all day would make you sick?
:)
He then scratched that idea!! :) I am very thankful and I'm sure many parents are too! LOL
But I do agree that a boat ride through chocolate water would be really cool if they had the rights.

brownie
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
They considered a candy mountain one time and it didn't end up happening. Didn't they dress up Cinderella Castle in sweets one year, too?

Bass T-bone
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I have said this before, and I'll say it again.

They should bring back "The Mighty Microscope" that used to be in Disneyland (1967-1986)

Ian
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Ha! It's so funny you bring this up, because for years I've been thinking it would be awesome to open a Willy Wonka theme park.

Basically it would be like a Discovery Cove kind of experience where it's very pricey and exclusive. Each guest gets a "role" to play and you move through the entire film, re-enacting each scene. With the highlight, of course, being the ability to run around in the candy factory and eat all the scenery.

Might have to make a few minor adjustments to the story, though, since I can't see the Augustus Gloop character being all that thrilled about getting sucked up a pipe!

ChipNDale79
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
while we are talking about disney adding things....id like to see them add on to the monorail. Take it to all 4 parks and to all the deluxe resorts and maybe even the moderate resorts.

I know, it'll never happen......

Touchdown
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
On the Monorail issue, my blue sky vision involves a system of multiple monrail lines with the parks and the TTC serving as hubs:

Theme Park Express: The master line, stops include MK, TTC, Epcot, DHS, and AK (in that order.)

Magic Kingdom Line: The existing resort loop with an expansion to Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

Epcot-Hollywood Studios Line: Stretching from Epcot to DHS and stopping at all the resorts on the lake in between.

Downtown Disney: The largest loops, which is why this is a duel line (one line goes clockwise and the other counter clockwise) connects the DD hotels (POR, POFQ, OKW, SS, etc.) Typhoon Lagoon, and DD with a connection to the rest of the system at Epcot.

Animal Kingdom: AK, BB, WWS and the AK hotels.

Gator
01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Monorail?

:offtopic:

joonyer
01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I was thinking to myself, what if there was an area or attraction that was like the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory film? I'm not talking about that morbid and uber-dark remake that came out a few years ago. I mean the good one with Gene Wilder, the Orange OompaLoompas, and that unbelievable music. ....

Actually I think Roald Dahl would have preferred the darker version of the Chocaolate Factory with Johnny Depp. It was much truer to Dahl's dark macabre style of humor. Dahl didn't have anything to do with the Gene Wilder film version.

ChipNDale79
01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Monorail?

:offtopic:

oh come on, your talking about adding something to disney, so i figured why not continue this thread by talking about other things that can be added to disney, but to make you happy i'll start another thread....geez.

TheVBs
01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Perhaps a ride on that theme, but I couldn't imagine doing much more than that. Probably because I've never been that crazy about the movie. Can't stand the first one. Thought the second one was definitely better, but still not crazy about it.

Stu29573
01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I think the creepy boat ride (I'm thinking mainly of the one from the first movie, as the one from the remake didn't impress me) might actually be pretty cool... By the way, Gene Wilder rocked as Wonka, Dep, not so much...

Gator
01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
By the way, Gene Wilder rocked as Wonka, Dep, not so much...

I completely agree. I heard Wilder was actually upset that Depp was doing it and NOT singing. Wilder made me feel that Wonka was actually crazy and brilliant at the same time. Disney could have someone dress up like him like they did that weird Dream guy at Imagination.

IamBelle
01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
I know that Nestle makes Wonka products, I don't know if that means they have the rights to the Wonka name.

I can see a whole Wonka themed area, complete with the chocolate river as well as maybe a ride that you would experience if you were one of the rotten children, like you get to pick if you want to be shrunk, blown up like a blueberry, or go down the garbage chute...

As for the whole old vs. new movie, I like them both for different reasons. The old one has great music while Wilder portrays the crazy side of Wonka. The new one has dark humor, like most Burton films, and Depp's portrayal of Wonka seems to be more secretive and tragic.

Polynesian Dweller
01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I know that Nestle makes Wonka products, I don't know if that means they have the rights to the Wonka name.

Really only for use in chocolate bars etc. It's the same way Disney licenses its characters to other companies to use on all kinds of products. The use of name/character is licensed for specific purposes but Disney still owns all rights. Same kind of thing with the Wonka name but not Disney of course.

3Cabsfan
01-16-2010, 08:36 AM
No!

DigitalDaredevil
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
"Pure Imagination" would be a good redo for JIYI.
They could also make a scene in The Great Movie Ride like similar to The Wizard of Oz.

coneygoil
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I guess I'm the only one on this board that thinks the Depp/Burton version is hilarious and amusing! I was actually creeped out by Gene Wilder's version!

The idea just doesn't seem appealing to me. Most likely because I don't eat any candy except for chocolate. Now I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the "Big Rock Candy Mountains" song, leaving out the streams of alcohol and whatnot :D

But getting rid of Figment? That's a no-no! Disney needs to come up with a way to use Figment better than that dumb ride (bringing back the old ride would be fine with me!) :figment:

Imagineer1981
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess I'm the only one on this board that thinks the Depp/Burton version is hilarious and amusing! I was actually creeped out by Gene Wilder's version!

The idea just doesn't seem appealing to me. Most likely because I don't eat any candy except for chocolate. Now I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the "Big Rock Candy Mountains" song, leaving out the streams of alcohol and whatnot :D

But getting rid of Figment? That's a no-no! Disney needs to come up with a way to use Figment better than that dumb ride (bringing back the old ride would be fine with me!) :figment:

Nope I am with you, I love Depp's version, he is wacky and crazy like Wonka should be. The Wilder version is only loved because its a classic, but I think Depp is truer to the story.

That aside, no way would I want Wonka in the parks. Put it over in Universal where it fits better. Wonka is not Disney nor does it have that Disney feel

tinksmom02
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Willy Wonka is my favorite movie of all time. I can appreciate Depp's/Burton's version, as it was more in line with what Dahl created in the book; HOWEVER, the original is still the best and Gene Wilder is phenomenal!

Had the pleasure of meeting all the kids (well, grownups now duh) several years ago at a Sci-Fi (?) convention. Yes, I am that obsessed.

So obviously I would LOVE any kind of attraction that incorporates Willy Wonka. Will it ever happen? Probably not...HersheyPark is probably the closest we'll ever get for chocolate theming LOL

Ian
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
"Pure Imagination" would be a good redo for JIYI.Yeah, I love this suggestion! Talk about a film that stirs the imagination ... perfect fit!

That aside, no way would I want Wonka in the parks. Put it over in Universal where it fits better. Wonka is not Disney nor does it have that Disney feelWow, I couldn't disagree more. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of those films always makes me think to myself when I watch it, "Walt Disney would have loved this film."

Mrs Bus Driver
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM

While I liked the Gene Wilder version, Johnny Depps version was laugh out loud funny. Guess I just have a warped since of humor. :thedolls: