PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts and info on Back surgery

Dznygrl79
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi all! I have been posting alot in the past few months trying to get info about my spinal condition. I have gotten a lot of info from you my intercot friends. So whats happened is I fell in May and was diagnosed with a condition that essentially means I have a billaterally broken L5 vertabrae that has also caused one disc to herniate and another to bulge
Now I have a decision that no one I know has had to make, I have been given two options
live with the pain or have surgery. Living with the pain I guess is an evil I already know about but I am unsure about surgey.
I have done 2 months of thereapy and 2 lumbar epidurals without any relief, so now I have to go for a surgical consult. My doctor told me it would be a laminectomy (remove the herniated part of the disc depending how bad it looks they may just replace the disc) and a spinal fusion which I am really not sure about. If you know anything about recovery or life after these surgeries please share I really wanna hear what you have to say....

Disney4us2
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
My situation is a little different. I had a cyst in the spinal column at L4/L5. Every time I moved/turned my head/ sat/stood/ walked etc, it felt like I was be tasered in the butt going down the legs. Surgery was the only option. Had my surgery in April of 2007. I did get relief after the surgery and it worked for the most part. I still have pain and can't stand longer than 5 minutes without pain. Sitting for long periods of time is also painful. I went back to the neurosurgeon and he said that I am not a candidate for any surgeries unless I loose 100 lbs. He would be doing a spinal fusion. Even I reach that goal, I am not sure I want anymore back surgeries.

Am I glad that I had the surgery. Yes, I got rid of that taser gun:D What I didn't count on was the degenerative disc disease that followed the surgery. This won't go away. Loosing wt may help, but the disc disease will always be there.
I have to use the scooters in the stores or bring my rollator with me.

Recovery time in general is about 6 weeks... give or take on the individual.

My brother had back surgery that sounds like more of what you are experiencing. He had a herniated disc pinching the nerves. After 3 years of trying PT and epidurals he had surgery and has no more pain.

Good luck with what ever you decide. It is no fun with back problems.

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
My husband had a laminectomy done last August. Initially I was not in favor of it, but eventually it became clear that he was facing the same dilemma you are--either live with pain indefinitely or have the surgery. He also had the potential complication (without surgery) of damage to the nerves leading to the bladder and intestines, so that made having the procedure that much more of a necessity.

The laminectomy was done endoscopically and took about an hour. The incision itself was about 3 inces long. He had almost immediate pain relief and although had some restrictions he went back to work after 3 weeks. Actually he felt more mobile and flexible after the surgery than before and felt like he could have gone back to work even earlier, but he followed the doctor's advice. Five months later he is still doing well and has had no further problems.

Of course, everyone's experience with this type of procedure will vary, but there can be a very positive outcome.

BrerGnat
01-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't personally EVER have back surgery voluntarily. It would have to be a life saving last resort for me to say yes to that. I have known of too many people experience horrid complications and have a poorer quality of life after back surgery. In particular, my sister's mother in law has been in and out of the hospital for the past year due to life threatening infections that resulted from an elective back surgery over a year ago. She cannot walk at all now. I used to work for an in home care agency and MANY of our clients were dealing with difficult recoveries following back surgery.

You have to be very well informed about the benefit to risk ratio. Be sure you understand the ramifications of possible complications. It's an individual decision and you and your family have to decide what is best.

As someone who deals with chronic pain, I sympathize with you. I hope you can find some relief soon.

Dizneyana
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm kinda with Nat.. I have heard so many horror stories about people that have had back surgery and have never been the same again.

I'm in that boat now though.. C6 and C7 are pushing into my spinal cord and causing numbness down both arms, and I cannot feel and quite literally use my ring or pinky finger on either hand.

So between the MS and the discs, it's pretty uncomfortable, so I am going to have to make a decision, and it's one I don't want to have to make. :(

Good luck to you... keep us posted on your decision..

Dznygrl79
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for everyones input I am still really hesitant toward surgery, I think its easier to live with the evil I know....

MNNHFLTX
He also had the potential complication (without surgery) of damage to the nerves leading to the bladder and intestines, so that made having the procedure that much more of a necessity.

I also may have this complication down the road and if it comes to that I may have surgery...and if it was an endoscopic I may not be as worried but because of the fusion it would not be.

Well keep me in your thoughts I will post after my consult next week...

Love to all me fellow intercotees

KylesMom
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
On February 13, 2005 (a day before my son's 7th birthday), my L5 quite literally shattered into pieces while picking up a gallon of orange juice from a grocery store cooler. Pretty goofy, huh? I immediately started losing feeling in my left foot, and as it progressed, I had difficulty walking and even doing normal things with my left arm/hand. I remember the awful, searing pain that came when I moved wrong.

Realize that I've always been very active and never had any "back problems" per se, so when the MRI revealed a totally shattered L5, I was freaking out. After a consult with an orthopedic surgeon, he asked that we give it six or eight weeks for the pain to recede and see if feeling returned to my extremeties before we pursued more drastic forms of treatment.

Unfortunately, I was losing so much feeling in various parts of my body - and they were concerned that it was going to start affecting other functions of my body - that I opted for microlumbar surgery three weeks later. The other major consideration was that my doc was concerned that I would not everregain sensation in my feet, legs, etcetera long-term if the rate of deterioration continued. They went in and removed the pieces of shattered disc. Recovery went well, and I was ready to go back to work five weeks later, when a residual piece of sharp bone from the sacrum they drilled through pierced my spinal fluid sac. They had to go back in and repair that little gem, which put me four weeks behind schedule. I must mention that there was no fusion procedure done, however - just a complete removal of the shattered disc pieces.

Today, I am considered a HUGE success story. While I do have days where my lower back is achy, I am not restricted in any way except using common sense when lifting things, bending, etcetera. I've never even experienced issued while at Disney World! I was most concerned about long-term damage and quality of life when I opted for surgery, and it was a good decision for me to go under the knife. Yes, there are days that my left foot gets a little funny feeling, and I know I must keep my weight down, but all in all I'm thankful for how I am today.

I'm the feel-good story of this post, I guess!

Nat just said it best . . .
You have to be very well informed about the benefit to risk ratio. Be sure you understand the ramifications of possible complications. It's an individual decision and you and your family have to decide what is best.

Thoughts & prayers out to you . . . I know it's an awful thing to go through. :(

BMan62
01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
As one who has had more than one relative who has had back surgery of one kind or another....PLEASE have the procedure done! Do NOT live with pain. It will change your entire personality, and not for the better.

Techniques have much improved over the years and most surgeries are minimally invasive.

JMHO

disney obsessed
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi

I have another family story for you. My husband was flat on the coach for 5 weeks living on oxycodine and praying the pain and the nausea(from the meds) would stop. He had surgury the day before Thanksgiving. He came home thanksgiving day and sat at the table for dinner. He went back to work part time the following monday. It was the best situation he could have hoped for. the words of wisdom are this, ask around for the dr who does the most back surgeries in your area. Don't go with someone who does a lot of hip replacements or knee surgury. Even is he did do aunt dorothy's.
ask your consult who he would send his wife/mother/son/husband/father or daughter to. Also, check the infection rates of the dr you chose and the hospital you will use. Do not feel funny about getting a second opinion. If your dr is offended by it, get another one quick. Remember that a laminectomy can lead to a subsequent herniation around the area. Get as much information as you can about the fusion. That is probably the more difficult to heal from. Are they just doing a fusion or are they inserting a rod? Educate yourself beyond what you really think you need to know. Lastly, do as much pt in prep for the surgery as you can. It will make the recovery so much easier and less painful. This I know from my own experience of having a hip replacement at 45. I was scared to death to do it(for several years I put it off) and boy was I glad I had the surgury.

These are just my humble opinions. I hope they give some insight into how we dealt with this issue.

MNNHFLTX
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
the words of wisdom are this, ask around for the dr who does the most back surgeries in your area. Don't go with someone who does a lot of hip replacements or knee surgury. Even is he did do aunt dorothy's. ask your consult who he would send his wife/mother/son/husband/father or daughter to. Also, check the infection rates of the dr you chose and the hospital you will use. Do not feel funny about getting a second opinion. If your dr is offended by it, get another one quick.. All sound advice. There is always that question of whether to have an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon do these types of procedures and my husband had consultations with both. In the end he decided to go with the neurosurgeon due to the number of procedures he had done and the fact that the neurosurgeon's primary objective was to preserve nerve function (in addition to decreasing pain). But you do have to fully investigate your options and get a second opinion if you're not comfortable.

Here we go again...
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I had back surgery for herniated discs and trapped nerves do to arthritis. I went to my family doctor who recommend a spinal surgeon.
He said that I needed surgery SOON. Not only on my back, but my neck too. (C6/C7 are cutting off the spinal fluid going to my brain) I did get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion too.

I was having severe pain in my legs and my foot was going numb. Going into surgery the doctor promised that if he could do the surgery without a fusion he could... Well things did not go well. I have a fusion at L4/L5/S1. It was a major surgery. I can tell you that I had immediate relief. The pain down my leg and the mumbness was gone...

Then, a week later I got an infection. I went back to the hospital and after 7 days, 2 additional surgeries and a wound vac later... I finally got to go home. I had the wound vac on for 6 weeks and it was very painful. The doctor said that for some reason back surgeries tend to get infected much more than other surgeries. All I can say is thank God that it did not go to the bone... it was close, but it did not.

It has now been 4 months since the surgery and I am still going to the wound care center and have home health coming out to work on the bandaging. I can walk well but have a very hard time standing. The doctor said I needed to walk a lot after the surgery but the infection brought the walking to a screeching halt. I am just now starting physical therapy.

So, do you do the surgery?? Even after all I have been through, I would say yes. Like another poster said, the have come so far with the way they do the surgery. I feel about 60% better and know I will get even better once I can build up my strength.

Good luck on what ever you choose!!

mdhiggin
01-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't have the surgery until I had exhausted all possible options. Have you seen a chiropractor? DH had a herniated disc and saw a chiropractor who straightened him right out. ;) He has to go back a couple times a year or so when he does something to aggravate it, like toting toddlers at Disney World for a long time.:D Definitely check references on chiropractors, though. I've heard some stories about them too.

My Dad, on the other hand had back surgery and his pain never went away. I think they did more damage than good. He ended up dying from colon cancer in July. He had a lot of pain from the cancer but attributed it to his back injury from years earlier and didn't find out about the cancer until it was too late. I think living with the constant pain of the back injury may have led to the cancer also.

Dznygrl79
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks again all, I have been to a local chiropractor and he said he does not want to treat me because my bone is still broken, post op infection is what scares me the most because I take care of my mother who is blind, also there is no one else here to help me. I have dealt with the numbness, pain, and unsteadiness now since May and I am seriously leaning toward the not have it side. I really appreciate all the input.

Big Hugs
Kate