PDA

View Full Version : Universal Orlando Newbie

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone!

We are hoping to go on a family vacation to Orlando in October. We have never been to Universal. I have gone on their website to do some looking around and am confused with all of the options (I guess I was confused with WDW at one time as well-but I forget!:mickey:).

So what is a good resource, along with Intercot, to get a good feel of what to do, what type of tickets to get. Should we stay on their property, WDW property (we may try to split a trip), somewhere offsite for both, meals, tickets, etc.

I feel really out of my element here-which I think is why we have never gone to US (even though I heard it was a blast).

I will always belong at WDW, but am trying to branch out a little-there are 4 other people in my family besides me and they would like to go somewhere else once in a while.

Our Cast is me 33, DH34, DS11, DS4, and DS3. We will drive so we will have a car, probably traveling Oct 2-8.

Thanks in advance!

murphy1
01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Being that you have small children, you might want to consider either the 2 park/1 day pass or the 2 park 2 day pass (I believe they are $89 and $99 respectively). There isn't a ton for small kids mostly Seuss area at IoA and ET and Curious George at The Studios. My youngest was 4 when we went last year and she HATED most of the rides, I mean shreiked at Jimmy Neutron. The onsite hotels are very nice, but very expenive. We stay at the hotels across from Universal over on Major Blvd. Doubletree and Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express are where we've been (I also stayed at HI on business when I lived down there and watch the crazy Brits bungee jump!) The best reason to stay onsite is the free Express pass they give you, but you can buy it also, plus I don't think you are going to use it much, we just didn't. My kids are so excited about the Harry Potter World coming this year. I would suggest in all honesty just splitting the trip and staying at Disney, you can ride over to Universal for the day or two you want to go. DO NOT TAKE THEM TO HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS! I about died in my 20's going to that, they jump out at you and scare you really bad!

FutureFairygodmother
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
We're going to Universal in August staying at the Royal Pacific for 3 nights. Our rooms with the package are $244 a night ( you can have 5 people in the room) and the tickets are $106 each (Adult) and you get the express pass, which will be good for your 11 yr old, he will want to do the big rides and the little ones won't want to wait. Universal just had a price increase and a 4 day 2 park ticket is around $164, you probably won't need that many days. To us it made more sense to stay at Universal and then move over to Disney( still working on that part).

Tink1
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Universal just raised ticket prices in anticipation of Harry Potter success.

Now, Universal charges between $79 for a one-day, one-park ticket and $170 for a seven-day, two-park ticket. (Those are adult prices. Prices for kids ages 3-9 run $10-$20 less.)

Nanc

NJGIRL
01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
We love Universersal but I can not believe that they raised the price of the tickets by $70:mad:. That is so out of line HP or not. I hope they see a dive in ticket purchases and decide to run their specials again.

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys! This really helps.

I am a Harry Potter fan - so I can't wait to see that. I've heard some of the rides at US can be pretty intense. Although I have to say DS4 is a daredevil and DS11 is a chicken, so we'll see how that works out.

Keep coming with the advice/tips-love it!

Thanks again!

murphy1
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Just saw you had an 11 yo, sorry been a busy day!!

Nanc, is there a more specific date for HP? I'm hoping it will be open in April!! They have just said Spring.