PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics 2010

Melanie
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Here's an official thread discussing athletes and events. :iceskate::ski::puck::hockey:

Only 31 more days until the Opening Ceremonies! :rings:

TinkRocks
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking forward to the Olympics!

Go Canada!!

JPL
01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Can't wait for the Games to begin! I love the Winter Olympics and I fully credit the "Miracle on Ice" for my hockey obsession!

Scar
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
:iceskate::ski::puck::hockey:What?!? No Curling smilie?

WDWfanatic742
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I need my curling fix. Haven't had it in 4 years :D. I was actually watching the Canadian Finals on the NBC Olympic Channel a few weeks ago :funny:

sportsguy2315
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Just found out today a friend of mine's cousin is on the US men's Olympic hockey team (David Backes of St. Louis Blues fame) so my already very high interest in the men's hockey has peaked even more :puck::hockey::flag:.

JPL
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I need my curling fix. Haven't had it in 4 years :D.

I have been known to stay up until 4AM to get my Curling fix watching some obscure affiliate coverage on like C-Span :blush:

WDWfanatic742
01-14-2010, 11:38 PM
That my friend, calls for a simple magical device called a DVR :mickey:

Reesa Roo
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't wait until the Olympics start. They're always fun to watch. My cousin - Erin Hamlin - of Remsen, NY is competing for the US in the Women's Luge. This is her second Olympic Games and she has a great chance to win a medal. Go Erin!!!:party:

JPL
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
That my friend, calls for a simple magical device called a DVR :mickey:

Even with a DVR I would be up until 4AM watching Curling it's an addiction:blush:

QTPie68
01-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Even with a DVR I would be up until 4AM watching Curling it's an addiction:blush:

It is so soothing, and yet complex at the same time.

Looking forward to curling, ice speed skating, figure skating and just really all of the events!!

BTW - we do need a curling simile - I would even take a sweeping simile :D

murphy1
01-25-2010, 07:20 AM
They had some great skating on this weekend and we have a great U.S. team going. Love Rachel Flatt, she can do a triple axle like no one else right now.

SBETigg
01-25-2010, 08:02 AM
They had some great skating on this weekend and we have a great U.S. team going. Love Rachel Flatt, she can do a triple axle like no one else right now.

Yes, and Johnny Weir! I wasn't sure he was going to make it, but I love watching him. He always brings an element of the unexpected with him. My daughter's friend was watching the exhibition skate post competition, and she told my daughter that "some middle aged guy" was skating to Poker Face. I thought, Poker Face? It has to be Johnny Weir, but he's twenty-five! So, I feel old now. :)

JanetMegan
01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm ready too but wish it didn't start the same weekend as Daytona!

Melanie
01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I wish Sasha Cohen had shown up at the long program. The story of her career. :( Oh well, hope these two young girls can show the world what they've got. So ready for it all to begin!

murphy1
01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Sherri, I totally missed the men's, I like him, too. Poor Sasha, she did such an awesome short. Did you hear the Pirates music?? Loved it, no wonder that girl placed. I think what's great about having teenagers is they just go out there with raw nerve.

SBETigg
01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Sherri, I totally missed the men's, I like him, too. Poor Sasha, she did such an awesome short. Did you hear the Pirates music?? Loved it, no wonder that girl placed. I think what's great about having teenagers is they just go out there with raw nerve.

I didn't get to see the men's either. I just looked up who placed. I did see the women's long program, and was also really pulling for Sasha Cohen. She's so beautiful to watch. I'm happy with the two going, though.

murphy1
01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Ooh, I'm so excited, we have Tampa Bay peeps in the pairs, and they are good!! The only thing in the town (Ellenton) where they train is this skating rink and an outlet mall!

Scar
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Figure Skating?!? Can't we go back to talking about a man's sport like Curling? ;)

murphy1
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Scar, next time you go to Florida, go to St. Pete, you would love the shuffleboard tournaments!!

Scar
01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Scar, next time you go to Florida, go to St. Pete, you would love the shuffleboard tournaments!!I said "Man's sport", not "Old man's sport." ;)

WDWfanatic742
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Winter X-Games started today to hold you guys over until the Olympics start :thumbsup:

murphy1
01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
I have to check that out! I keep hearing some of the snowboarders are gettiing hurt. Another one to watch is the skier LIndsey Vonn. I am getting so excited for the games to begin!!

Melanie
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
:rings:14 days to go!!!!:rings:

murphy1
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Ralph Lauren unveiled the official garb today, not so sure about the pants, but love the rest of it.

Scar
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
11 days to go. Where's that Curling smilie? :D

murphy1
02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie
02-06-2010, 01:46 PM
11 days to go. Where's that Curling smilie? :D

:rings:

:hockey::puck::ski::sboard::iceskate:

AND

:curling:

Thanks to Christine and Carol for making it happen.

Melanie
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
:rings: 6 days to go! :rings:

:gmedal::smedal::bmedal:

Hammer
02-06-2010, 03:33 PM
:sled: :coaster: - I think either of these can work for bobsledding.

I draw the line at finding a luge smilie. I will do what I can for the posters in the Locker Room, but I have my limits ;) !

JPL
02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
That's it I'm boycotting the forum until we find that Luge smiley :razz:

Scar
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
:curling: Thanks guys! :curling:

Now how do I get it to slide? ;)

JPL
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
We need a sweeper smiley for that ;)

murphy1
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Scar, come to my house, I need some cleaning help!

indytraveler
02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
A few hours until Opening Ceremonies... Will there be enough snow to stage these Olympics?
Should truck all snow from east coast to Vancouver. Canada spent over a Billion on security certainly they can cover trucking costs.

Scar
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Will there be enough snow to stage these Olympics?
Should truck all snow from east coast to Vancouver. Canada spent over a Billion on security certainly they can cover trucking costs.I think I read that it's only affecting one venue, the snowboarding. And they are trucking it in. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Only 4 more days! :curling:

Melanie
02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Tragic and scary that folks had been complaining about the safety of the track this week. :(

Luger dies in Olympics practice crash

(CNN) -- A luge slider from Georgia was killed Friday when he crashed during an Olympic training session hours before the opening ceremony of the Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, the Georgian Embassy said.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, 21, was in the final run of official training when he had a "serious crash" and was propelled off the track, according to the International Olympic Committee. Doctors were unable to revive him, the IOC said.

"Our first thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues of the athlete," IOC President Jacques Rogge said in a written statement. "The whole Olympic family is struck by this tragedy, which clearly casts a shadow over these Games."

Kumaritashvili was scheduled to compete in the men's singles luge event, which begins Saturday.

sportsguy2315
02-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Wow...what a beautiful Opening Ceremony. :rings: Everything from the native dancers to the standing ovation for the Georgian team to Wayne Gretzky lighting the cauldron. The Canadians are ready to put on a good show; the question is, will the US show up for men's hockey?

Ian
02-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I thought the opening ceremonies were just gorgeous last night! Vancouver did an amazing job. They obviously weren't as elaborate and over-the-top as the Beijing ones were, but I think they were better in their own way. More subtle and elegant, which is the way an Olympics should be.

And wow ... I have a business trip planned to Vancouver for later in the year and seeing how incredibly beautiful that city is has got me really excited to go. Those opening shots were just jaw-dropping.

You know, you have to love the way the world comes together during the Games. Did you guys hear the standing ovation of support the crowd gave to the Georgian team? That was so touching. Very sad what happened to that luger and I thought it was very impactful what Bob Costas pointed out ... can you imagine how tough it's going to be for other lugers to use that track now?

Looking forward to the first full day of competition! Go USA!

PirateLover
02-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thought the opening ceremonies were just OK... Maybe it was just the mood I was in last night. I thought it was kind of embarrassing that the one post didn't work for the cauldron lighting. i do think that NBC is doing a great job of showcasing Canada, though.

As far at that poor 21 year old luger... how tragic. I watched a report and this track is supposed to be the fastest in the world, and many experienced lugers have problems with it. The reporters were saying that inexperienced athletes really should not even be on the track. That sounds a little crazy to me; courses should be challenging, but not life threatening. I hope they cover that area in padding. The video was disturbing, to watch him fly over the track and hit the post, knowing that he was killed. :(

MNNHFLTX
02-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Count me in as someone who loved the opening ceremony last night! It captured the spirit of Canada and Canadians perfectly, in my opinion. I especially loved that they brought out representatives of the various First Nations tribes to welcome the athletes. When we were in Alberta 1-1/2 years ago we saw similar demonstrations of First Nations dancing; I wonder if some of them were performing last night. The most incredible moment was when the floor of the stadium turned into water and the whales swam across. The developers did amazing things with projected images!

I was also touched to see the reception the crowds gave the Georgian contingent. To suffer such a loss and to carry on in his name is what the Olympics are all about.

PirateLover
02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Nothin' like the Olympics to fire up your patriotism! Last night was exciting for Americans. How about the two Koreans tripping each other in the short track, allowing Apolo Ohno and JR Celski to swoop in for medals? And Hannah Kearney getting the score to win her a gold medal after placing 22nd last time.:rings::ski::smedal:
I do hope the Canadians get some gold before it's all said and done, though:thumbsup:

murphy1
02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Love Apolo!!!!!! Spillane got our first medal ever in Nordic, yay!!

I can't believe we have our pairs from Florida in the Olympics! Just being there is exciting!

SBETigg
02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Apolo was great last night. The short track speed skating gets my pulse racing. It's so exciting (and nerve-wracking!) to watch.

Melanie
02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Apolo's first heat last night was amazing. I fell asleep for the final heat, but saw the replay this morning. Wow, how fortunate. :thumbsup:

JPL
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Loving the games so far watching some great Women's Hockey and all the other events are lots of fun too. Can't wait for Men's Hockey to start Tuesday :puck:

DizneyFreak2002
02-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I prefer the Winter Olympics to the Summer Olympics... I'm enjoying them so far... GO USA!!! :number1:

DISNEYFIX
02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thought the opening ceremonies were just OK... Maybe it was just the mood I was in last night. I thought it was kind of embarrassing that the one post didn't work for the cauldron lighting. i do think that NBC is doing a great job of showcasing Canada, though. :(

No not the only one. We thought it was awful. I guess that Bejing really ruined for everybody after them.

murphy1
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I hope the Chinese pair wins the gold medal tonight, I love their story and they are the best ones. Mel, I am having the worst trying staying awake, too, it goes so late. I love when Bilodeau won on the moguls and hugs his brother, who has cerebral palsy, very sweet.

JPL
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I hope the Chinese pair wins the gold medal tonight, I love their story and they are the best ones.

This is what I hate about figure skating there is always some story or drama that definitely effects the scores and the judges always seem biased. I mean I am watching it now and the Canadian team falls and gets 2nd place Really????

diz_girl
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Is everyone ready for Curling to start today? Yay!

You know, if they televised curling during non-olympic years, I think that a lot of people would watch it.

:curling:

Scar
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
:curling: :curling:
Is everyone ready for Curling to start today? Yay!

You know, if they televised curling during non-olympic years, I think that a lot of people would watch it.

:curling:Taping the USA/Germany match right now.

I hope I don't hear people talking about it in the streets before I get home and have it ruined. :secret:

PirateLover
02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
This is what I hate about figure skating there is always some story or drama that definitely effects the scores and the judges always seem biased. I mean I am watching it now and the Canadian team falls and gets 2nd place Really????
This is true, the scores for skating have long been contested but that's why they changed it to try to make it a bit more fair. The Canadian pair did NOT get 2nd. Gold and Silver went to China, and Bronze to Germany. You can fall and still get a good score if you have enough difficult elements. It's better to have a complex routine and a fall, then to skate a completely flawless routine that doesn't have as much difficulty. The medals were awarded on a combination of scores from the short program and freestyle. Shen and Zhao skated a beautiful, perfect short program, which helped them hang on to the lead over the other Chinese pair, who I feel had the better free program.

Melanie
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I hope I don't hear people talking about it in the streets before I get home and have it ruined. :secret:

:funny:

JPL
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
A great day for USA Hockey!!!! The men won 3-1 and the Women are currently up 9-0 against Russia! Could this be the year for double Gold?

JPL
02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
This is true, the scores for skating have long been contested but that's why they changed it to try to make it a bit more fair.

When the expert Comentators have no clue why the scores are given and how some teams score higher than others, How can the average viewer of the sport :confused: I really don't even think the Skaters and coaches understand the scoring any more it's a joke!

SBETigg
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
When the expert Comentators have no clue why the scores are given and how some teams score higher than others, How can the average viewer of the sport :confused: I really don't even think the Skaters and coaches understand the scoring any more it's a joke!

It is actually better than it used to be, with new regulations in place to help ease some of the subjectivity. But it remains a subjective sport in some ways. The athletic elements are pretty easy to pin down to rules comparatively, but the artistic element of the sport leaves some room for debate. I thought the short program pairs was pretty fairly judged after that one team (maybe Canada?) that did not have a flawless program had scores on the high side. But they didn't place, so it became less of an issue. In the end, the deserving teams took home medals for all the right reasons.

Looking forward to men's short program tonight! And I am enjoying curling now. Womens. US vs Japan. I didn't think I really enjoyed curling but I am loving it.

PirateLover
02-16-2010, 08:17 PM

They really said that? I missed that. At any rate, I think the average viewer just watches for the majesty and/or tragedy, which, yes, equals drama! But it's not like ice skating is the only sport that carries drama with it. How many times do we root for the underdog, or the team/player who never won the whole thing??

The new system is not perfect... no system possibly could be when you are judging something like this, as Sherri said... but everyone agrees it's better than the old 6.0 scale. And good coaches know everything about the system. That's why if you watched some of them, every single solitary move down to their bows are choreographed. It is a stage performance as much as it is an athletic one. :iceskate:

Scar
02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Mel, I'm glad you found that funny. What makes it even more funny is that I work in a town that is 70% Hispanic, probably not too many Curling fans there.

Anyway, the USA was awful. They better pick it up or this is gonna be a short tounament. I didn't think the Germans were really that good either, but they made the clutch shots when they had to, and we didn't.

Scar
02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I have never been a fan of any "sport" for lack of a better word where a judge’s score determines the outcome. Although for some odd reason I do like the pair's skating. I don't really care who wins but there's something intriguing about watching a guy pick up a girl and tossing her landing with one skate on the ice.

Scar
02-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Sigh... I think I need to find a backup country to start rooting for. :(

Mickey'sGirl
02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Sigh... I think I need to find a backup country to start rooting for. :(
:darth: You are welcome to join us on the dark side. We have some decent curlers .... (and Hockey players for you too Jeff!...figure skaters, not so much). Come on over. We'd be happy to have you! :thumbsup:

indytraveler
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Have to feel for Lindsey Jacobellis. The last 4 years she has had to answer the question of falling on the last jump before the finish line. Well after this year she won't. Considering she didn't even make the finals because she fell off the course. Maybe the pressure got to her.

I've read some figure skating reviews here and I have to agree with most. As soon as judging comes into it subjectivity comes and you will get your 4 skaters for 3 spots and thats it. This is a joke.

What I'd like to see is some sort of Winter Olympic Heptathalon event. Some Speed skating (short track and oval), Skiing (downhill,slalom), snowboarding, cross country, and luge.

SBETigg
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, I still love the figure skating-- all of it. The mens short program was fantastic. I thought Johnny Weir should have scored higher and Even Lysacek should have been in first. But it was generally spot on. I was probably less critical of the US Skaters by nature. And wow, I felt for Jeremy Abbot! What a bad time for him.

DizneyFreak2002
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Let's go Lindsey Vonn!!! Way to go girl!!!:number1:

KylesMom
02-17-2010, 11:27 PM
WOW - what an emotional night. I've got the crocodile tears for all of the victories (and heartaches) that happened today!

WDWfanatic742
02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
US Curling - Men (0-4) and Women (0-3)

What is going on? :confused:

KylesMom
02-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Evan = Home Boy Does Good. I'm so proud!!! :)

Scar
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM

What is going on? :confused:Shuster just can't make a shot when the pressure’s on. They would be 3-1 if he could. He's a great curler but I think he's just too nervous in those situations. Benton should be throwing last.

DizneyFreak2002
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM

What is going on? :confused:

Curling is a sport??? LOL.... I'm joking of course.... Curling is just something I don't understand... Therefore, I don't care how the U.S. does there... Le'ts dominate the major winter games sports!!!!

Scar
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Curling is a sport??? LOL.... I'm joking of course.... Curling is just something I don't understand... Therefore, I don't care how the U.S. does there... Le'ts dominate the major winter games sports!!!!Do you play chess or like stratagy? If so you should give it a look. If not, I can understand why someone wouldn't enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Scar
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
:darth: You are welcome to join us on the dark side. We have some decent curlers .... (and Hockey players for you too Jeff!...figure skaters, not so much). Come on over. We'd be happy to have you! :thumbsup:Ok sorry, but I have decided to go with Norway for several reasons:

1. I'm 1/2 Norwegain
2. They're good
3. They already played USA so I won't have to root against them
4. I love their pants!

WDWfanatic742
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
USA vs. Canada in Men's Hockey Saturday night at 7pm :number1:

Why a huge game for all North American Hockey fans is on MSNBC is beyond me though :confused:

Melanie
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Can't wait!!!!

DizneyFreak2002
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Do you play chess or like stratagy? If so you should give it a look. If not, I can understand why someone wouldn't enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Don't play chess... I tried to watch curling while I been out of work the last few days due to my back... Can't catch on... Doesn't make much sense to me... sorry....

Mickey'sGirl
02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Ok sorry, but I have decided to go with Norway for several reasons:

1. I'm 1/2 Norwegain
2. They're good
3. They already played USA so I won't have to root against them
4. I love their pants!
Those are groovy pants, but we have Maple Syrup... and real beer!

The Danish women are pretty awesome, if you are looking for a female team to cheer (other than us Siths that is)...They only just lost to the Canadians last night.... a really good match.

Hey, I heard that there is a hockey game tonight. Are they any good? :hockey:

Patricia
02-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh my.. USA versus Canada hockey night. The "Guys" are coming over to watch the game.

Watch = :cheers:

Could be fun.

Could be tense.

Definitely going to be loud.

Mickey'sGirl
02-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Patricia -- did all the hooting and hollering over Jon Montgomery in Whistler make it over to you last night? That skeleton's one CRAZY sport!

marlyn
02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I think I heard the cheering from here. That was an awesome win. I agree Skeleton is insane!

Yay also for Virtue and Moir sitting in 2nd after the compulsory dance :)

Melanie
02-20-2010, 12:50 PM

This has changed, I guess?

Now seeing it listed for tomorrow (2/21) at 4:40pm.

Patricia
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, the hollering was heard on this side of the mountains.. crazy! It was sure exciting to watch.

Jon actually apologized for his over enthusiasm.

The US vs. Canada hockey game is Sunday.

WDWfanatic742
02-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Could have sworn that everything I saw yesterday listed it as tonight, but yes it is tomorrow.

FutureFairygodmother
02-20-2010, 05:49 PM
We love Curling! I wish they would would show it on TV in the years between the Olympics. We just ordered our Curling hats(they look like the rocks) and we are going to our first open house next weekend,to watch and maybe get on the ice to learn more about it. We love the pants too, I think they have a facebook page.

Scar
02-20-2010, 10:32 PM
... we are going to our first open house next weekend,to watch and maybe get on the ice to learn more about it.Are you going to the one in South Plainfield? My niece was telling me tonight she wants to curl, I just might have to take her to check it out!

FutureFairygodmother
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
We were going to go to that one, but now we are going to one on Sat in Phillie. They are both an hour and a half away from us, but my kids want to go the King of Prussia Mall after the open house, which is right next to the Philadelphia Curling Club.
Last night cnbc showed a men's match between Canada & Great Britain. It gave a better idea to people watching at home how the game can be more like chess and strategy, than the games being played by the USA teams( I hope the new skip will help them). I'm so glad they started showing other countries playing.

Patricia
02-21-2010, 08:40 PM
We love Curling! I wish they would would show it on TV in the years between the Olympics.

We have curling all the time on TV here.

Ahhh.. Canada tied up the Hockey game while I was typing this.

WDWfanatic742
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
What a great game so far :number1:

Melanie
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM
AWESOME game! GO USA!!! :flag: :hockey:

DizneyFreak2002
02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
What a game... Go Team USA!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
02-22-2010, 08:17 AM
That was a terrific game (despite the Canadian loss). That Hiller was absolutely phenomenal!

Melanie
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
That Hiller was absolutely phenomenal!

Miller. :D And I love that he's wearing a shamrock on his mask in honor of Jim Craig. :flag:

Actually a couple of American Miller's had good days at the Olympics yesterday. :gmedal:

Mickey'sGirl
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Miller. :D And I love that he's wearing a shamrock on his mask in honor of Jim Craig. :flag::blush: That's what I meant. Just testing you. :thumbsup:

Lots of good sports yesterday. My new favourite is the cross stuff.... Skiis or boards, I don't care...It's fast and very cool...and sure to pump the kids up!

indytraveler
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok so the Americans won an Olympic Hockey game against the Canadians. (it was a great game, don't get me wrong), but it was Pool Play. Team USA is in the quarters this week (final 8) 3 more wins and they can claim Gold. Still any medal at these games would be great for this team. Lots of young and up and coming stars on this team.

It wasn't a miracle they won last night so don't compare it to 1980. By the way 30 yrs ago tonight (2-22-80) the US beat the Russians to get to the gold medal game.

How about the hit Ovechkin put on Jagr?

Scar
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
It wasn't a miracle they won last night so don't compare it to 1980.Who's doing that?

CanadianWDWFan
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
No comment on the Canada/U.S. hockey game...

How about the hit Ovechkin put on Jagr?

But that hit was one of the BEST hits that I have seen in a long time. Glad they scored on the play as well.:thumbsup: Way to Jagr, puck hogging with your head down. He was asking for it.

gueli
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey how about US womens Hockey Rout of the sweedish team, now they can capture the gold !!!

Go Team.

Nice Job so far...
:trophy:
Now go get that gold !!!
:gmedal::hockey:

diz_girl
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
It's pretty exciting that the U.S. nordic combined team won its first ever medal, only a few days after Johnny Spillane won the first-ever U.S. medal in nordic combined. Woohoo!

I think that the USOC is developing a strategy to win medals in events where the U.S. has lagged, like the Nordic events. Supposedly they're doing this in curling, where the focus is really to medal in Sochi in 2014 rather than now.

One other note - the alpine skiers' suits are making me long for skiing gear of the 70's. I know functionality is most important, but jeesh. Not all skiers out there have hideous outfits, as there are some whose outfits match quite nicely to the bibs and they obviously gave this some thought. Here is a tip for our alpine friends, once you know the bib color, then pick the suit, then the accessories. Rule #1 - never wear anything that will make you cringe when you are shown a photo of yourself in 20 years' time.

Scar
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Supposedly they're doing this in curling, where the focus is really to medal in Sochi in 2014 rather than now.I hope they change the way they pick the team. Now they have teams from clubs around country play in trials to determin the best team. What they should do is pick the five best curlers in the country and get them together as a team in like 2011 or 2012 so they have a couple years to play together. Not sure if there going to able to do this unless they get some sponsers to pay for it though.

SBETigg
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I was enjoying the curling but it is still going on and by now, I have had enough curling to last a lifetime (sorry curling fans-- glad it's there for you).

I loved the figure skating- the ice dancing was incredible, and then last night the women were good, too. I was in tears when Joannie Rochette finished. So glad she decided to skate after losing her mother, but wow, how hard it must be for her. She had a wonderful performance.

murphy1
02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
So excited to watch the skating tonight! We are very proud of our Atlanta girl Elana Meyers winning a bronze in bobsled, they showed her family leaving on the plane to go watch her. Can't wait for Apolo on Sat, the guy is amazing and too cute!

Mickey'sGirl
02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Yesterday was a medalrific day for Canada too! Gold and Silver in the 2-woman bobsleigh, Classy Clara Hughes getting Bronze in the long track, and then a silver in the women's short track relay. Stellar performances .... THEN one fantastic Hockey game versus the Russians. Canada came out with extra vim and had control from start to finish ... What an Olympic day!! :thumbsup:

murphy1
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Great job Canada!!!! So many good moments, my favorite being Joannie Rochette, she is amazing, I liked her before, but she truly was the gold medalist for her grace overall in my book. If they said one more time on the ice skating that those two girls HAD to win a gold medal or their country thought they were losers, I was going to :sick:. I was really afraid for the girl from Korea who won the gold, I thought they would torture her once she returned home if she didn't win the gold. And our two girls did fantastic, both of them just wonderful young ladies. So is the girl who won silver going to call it a platinum medal? She should be proud to have done the first triples ever.

SBETigg
02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, but the skater from Korea lives and trains in Canada most of the time. And she wasn't in any danger. It was more of an honor thing because they've built her up to be such a superstar on the expectation alone. She doesn't live in the kind of country that is going to torture her for failing. They really built that up to ridiculous drama, didn't they?

But she skated an amazing program (two amazing programs) and deserved her win-- as much as I also loved Joannie Rochette's grace and athleticism. I also felt they were really harsh on Rachel Flatt. Sixth place? Or was it seventh? After her incredible skate? I guess they see penalties that we miss. I'm already looking forward to the next Winter Olympics.

Mickey'sGirl
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Skating was good....but how 'bout the Hockey game! Wow! That Marie-Philip Poulin is a phenom! (We wont discuss the questionable post-game celebrations...what's up with that?)

I'm looking forward to the Ladies curling finals later today! :thumbsup:

murphy1
02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
The best part---More Apolo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sherri, I totally agree on Rachael, she was better than where they placed her.

Magic Smiles
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
CANADA ROCKS! Not only do we have a beautiful country and beautiful people, we now have not one but two gold medal records!
What an Olympics this was!

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Just awesome! Sweet that Crosby scored that goal too .... What a great couple of weeks! :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
So sad (not disappointed), but very proud of a USA hockey team that far exceeded expectations. I haven't been that worked up/nervous in years about a sports event. Had to go out and get a bottle of wine afterwards. :wine: ;)

Overall, a great Olympics for the USA! :flag:

Magic Smiles
03-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I do hope the Canadians get some gold before it's all said and done, though:thumbsup:

We DID!:rings::puck::rings:

murphy1
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Congrats Canada, was rooting for you guys, knowing that you all live, eat and breathe hockey! And what a fantastic job you did as hosts, I really want to come up there for a visit one day :)

Mickey'sGirl
03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
We'd love to have you Shari! :thumbsup:

indytraveler
03-01-2010, 10:11 AM
After watching yet another great hockey game yesterday. Canada v. US was the best matchup the NHL could have asked for. I know 2002 was the same thing but this one had a little more to it. A young American team that fought to the end and a very experienced Canadian team that HAD to win Gold.

In my opinion the NHL has surpassed the NBA in excitement. You combine the speed of basketball with the hitting of football and you get hockey. Too bad most people don't see this.

Congrats Canada to the gold medal chase and to team USA for winning the most medals.

Pagan
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I will never understand why hockey doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Greatest sport on earth.

Mickey'sGirl
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Greatest sport on earth.
Maybe a few more games like that one yesterday will bring folks over? It really is a fabulous sport ...

yjgirl32
03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
A great Olympics. That was an awesome game last night. Canada was a great host. We too are HUGE hockey fans and hope to come up and visit soon. Congrats to all the Olympians.

tjstrike
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree !! Canada did an awesome job hosting the olympics !! Congrats to all the US and Canadian atheletes, they truly are the greatest in the world.

Scar
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Congratulations to Canada for winning the gold medal............. in Curling. :curling:

I heard there was some other game they won too.

Greatest sport on earth.I'm a pretty big sports fan, I'll give you my opinion. First, I find it hard to follow the puck. Maybe it's because I'm blind in one eye, but my good eye is pretty good, I have no trouble following the ball in other sports. Second, it just seems so unorganized, so... messy. To me it's just a bunch of guys running into each other and hoping to get lucky enough to get a shot off. Sometimes you see four or five guys pushing and shoving and then the puck just pops out and goes in the goal. I don't know, just doesn't do it for me.

Now curling on the other hand... :curling:

murphy1
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Congratulations to Canada for winning the gold medal............. in Curling. :curling:

Now curling on the other hand... :curling:

I couldn't take the fabric on the pants on that one team in curling! And I am a freelance seamstress, so I know fabric!

Melanie
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Gosh, why doesn't it make me feel better to hear all day long on sports TV/radio that the hockey gold just means more to Canada than it would have to the US? Hmmm.

PirateLover
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
We DID!:rings::puck::rings:

Boy oh boy, you ain't kiddin'!!!!! You guys ran aways with the golds. Overall this was a fantastic Olympics for both Canada and US!!! Lots of fun to watch these past two weeks.

indytraveler
03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
One last observation...

The Russian sports federation wants a complete makeover of their Olympic training for athletes. This makes sense because the US did this in the late '90's and look at the result.

When we (the US) stopped going to Olympics with true "amateurs" and started having professionals in their sports go we started winning gold medals. I'm talking about letting these athletes get paid endorsement money for training etc. Do you think Apolo Ohno would have stayed around short track for as long as he did without $? He and all the snowboarders, skiers, bobsledders, etc. get corporate money so they can devote their time to training.

This Olympics showed the world that us in North America are truly superior athletes when the table is truly even. Just think back to the days of the Soviet Bloc nations winning everything. Well during those times their sport was their job. They got paid for doing it. Now we do the same thing, and we are winning medals at a record pace. We didn't have the most gold medals but where we made up for that was in the depth of talent in each sport. We had several medal hopefuls going in everything!

Great coaching + Great athletes + financial backing = Olympic Medals

murphy1
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I was looking at some pictures of Socchi, it's absolutely beautiful

diz_girl
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Yes, Sochi does look nice. I think that a lot of visitors in 2014 will be surprised to see palm trees in a city that is hosting the winter olympics.

Pagan
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm a pretty big sports fan, I'll give you my opinion. First, I find it hard to follow the puck. Maybe it's because I'm blind in one eye, but my good eye is pretty good, I have no trouble following the ball in other sports. Second, it just seems so unorganized, so... messy. To me it's just a bunch of guys running into each other and hoping to get lucky enough to get a shot off. Sometimes you see four or five guys pushing and shoving and then the puck just pops out and goes in the goal. I don't know, just doesn't do it for me.
Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game. It's actually FAR from "messy". There's a rhyme and a reason for everything that happens. Unfortunately the camera follows the puck, and the viewer cannot see the play developing behind it after it's been dumped into the corner.

Like any other sport, you have your lucky bounces, but for the most part it's the skill of the players that result in goals.

Ian
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Just think back to the days of the Soviet Bloc nations winning everything. Well during those times their sport was their job. They got paid for doing it.Well not only did they get paid for it, but they also cheated egregiously. They applied steroids in vigorous doses to all their athletes and there were even rumors of trying to pass men off as women!

Melanie
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game. It's actually FAR from "messy". There's a rhyme and a reason for everything that happens. Unfortunately the camera follows the puck, and the viewer cannot see the play developing behind it after it's been dumped into the corner.

I totally agree with this, as I too used to think there was no rhyme or reason, and really, what was the point? Now I'm actually proud that I can recognize when someone is having a good/bad game, when there is a different line, etc. The off-sides and icing still confuses me though. :blush:

gueli
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
One last observation...
The Russian sports federation wants a complete makeover of their Olympic training for athletes. This makes sense because the US did this in the late '90's and look at the result.
...This Olympics showed the world that us in North America are truly superior athletes when the table is truly even....Great coaching + Great athletes + financial backing = Olympic Medals

Did you know who we have to thank for this.
Thats right folks- the NY Yankees owner
George Steinbrenner... who had a blistering observation of the US olympic orginization & totaly revamped it !

Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game... Like any other sport, you have your lucky bounces, but for the most part it's the skill of the players that result in goals.

And it was a skill player that won the game for the Canadians...
For such a whinner he is quite the winner.
:D
(which reminds me, IAN, how did his OT goal make you feel. Do you hate him more than you did ?)

I totally agree with this, as I too used to think there was no rhyme or reason, and really, what was the point? Now I'm actually proud that I can recognize when someone is having a good/bad game, when there is a different line, etc. The off-sides and icing still confuses me though. :blush:

Sometimes it is how I feel about curling...
but just for the record -
there are 2 blue lines, 1 center ice line, and 2 small red lines that run just behind the net (or at the start of the net and run to the boards).

Offsides occurs when a team's player gets into the offensive side (just past the blue line) in front of the puck. If the puck goes in first then the play is onsides (and play continues), if the player crossed the blue line first it is offsides (and the whistle sounds).

Icing occurs when a team shoots the puck from beyond the center ice line (the big red one), it is untouched by any player and crosses the little red line on the sides of the goal. In international play the whistle is blown at this point (in other pro leagues- often the defensive team has to touch the puck before an offensive player does, if the offensive player gets it 1st than icing is waived off).
nuance- if the puck crosses across the goal mouth than icing is also waived off (the shaded area in front of the goal).
hope this helps.
:thumbsup:

Pagan
03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Offsides is pretty simple. The puck must cross into the offensive zone before the player. This is done so that when one team is on the defense, one of their players can't just loiter in the opposing team's zone behind everyone else and wait for a long pass.

Icing is when the puck is cleared from a team's own zone and crosses two red lines and is then touched by an opposing player other than the goalie. If the goalie or one of the players of the team that iced the puck touches it first, then the icing is waved off. Another way it can be waved off is if the linesman felt that one of the defensive players could have played the puck before it crossed the final red line.

Hope that helps!

*EDIT*

Whoops...didn't see that Guels answered first! Sorry!

Hey Guels...we need a free agency thread. I have to ask you what the heck your team is thinking!!!