PDA

View Full Version : Swan and Dolphin - Teacher Rate

IloveJack
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking about trying the Swan or Dolphin for our next trip. We've never stayed at a non-Disney hotel, so I'm not really sure about it, but the teacher discount sounds appealing.
How much is the discount typically? Are the prices comparable to a value or moderate (with the discount)? What are the pros/cons of staying there over a Disney resort? We "traveled" through on our last trip to go to Fantasia Gardens, and really liked the fact that we could ride the boat to most of the parks. We usually spend very little time at the resort, but we do enjoy the pools at night. Tell me about the food court/recreation, also. Thanks! :mickey:

Frog
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
We would like to know too!
how about the extra magic hours and dining plans, can you get those if you stay at these resorts?

MOJoe
01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
We have stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin with the Teacher rate. If you qualify, it presents a good discount. Generally bringing the price down from Deluxe to Moderate. Prices have also come down due to the economic climate, so check for your specific dates. And remember, the ressie must be made in the Teachers name, and some documentation may be required when checking in.

The big plus to staying here is the location. It's one of the best in WDW. The ablilty to walk to 2 parks, Fantasia Gardens and the Boardwalk is wonderful. The hotels are very nice "business class" resorts, with several restaurants. The one food court, which is more like a cafeteria, is open 24 hours and located in the Dolphin. The rooms are nice and the bedding is indeed heavenly. The pool complex is spread out, with a lap pool at each hotel, and a sprawling grotto pool with waterfall closer to the Dolphin. There is also a small beach area.
All in all, this is a great complex with plenty of amenities for everyone.

The downside for many is the lack of any Disney theme. There is no Magical Express transportation, or Dining Plan. A few fees (parking, resort) are added to your bill, but may be removed if you feel like fighting them. Even so, this is one of my families favorite resorts. There is no Disney Mod that i would stay at for the same $. And with the savings the Teacher rate gives us, Disney has to put out a pretty nice discount for us to stay at a Deluxe.
Just our thoughts, but we love it there.

TiggerCat
01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
The location is excellent but as MOJoe said, it lacks the Disney theme and some of the other perks like charging to your room. However, it is right on the Boardwalk so you can get a good dose of Disney by taking a nice leisurely stroll. Also, I found that the Dolphin lobby does have a magical feels so that's also a plus.

My opinion, if you can get a good discount than it is more than worth it. Especially when you consider that you get the early entry/extra magic hours and Disney Transport. You are also within walking distance to both Epcot and the Disney Studios.

TC.

luvkatiebug
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
We stayed at the swan on our last trip and with the teacher discount it was comparable to a moderate at that time of year. The big plus is location, location, location. My kids love Epcot, so this was perfect. The down side is the lack of Disney theming. My kids are little and love the "louder" theming of Disney resorts. We are going to stay at Port Orleans next time b/c we are considering the dinning plan, which you can not do at the Swan and Dolphin. They do not do magical express either. Lastly, I really missed the food court type eating option at the Swan. Even the more casual places at Swan and Dolphin were a bit much for my taste.

Either way, you'll have a super time. We would probably stay there again, but are going for the whole Disney "effect" this next trip! Enjoy. :mickey:

TiggerCat
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know how much the parking and resort fee are now?

TC.

Jeff
01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Just stayed at Swan in Dec.
Parking was $9 or $10 a day ( I think $9)
Resort fee was $10.
Got a "free" newspaper and two bottles of water a day though. I probably would have bought all three at a cost of $5 so I figured the resort fee cost us $5 a day.