PDA

View Full Version : Proposing in 3 weeks at WDW

Superzeus84
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey everyone, about 3 weeks til my girlfriend and I go to WDW for a long vacation. I have been with my girlfriend for about 2 and a half years now, and I will be asking her to marry me on our Vacation(she already knows, but doesnt know when i will be doing at while we are there) Sooooo....I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some ideas of places to do it and where to do it. We are eating at Coral Reef the second night we are there and was thinking about doing it there(having one of the divers come up to the glass with a sign that says "will you marry me") but i am still undecided....Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, I will keep everyone posted!:thumbsup:

tinkerbelle75
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
First of all, WOW you're a really good boyfriend! I have heard of several people that did that. If she has, too, then you might want to go a different route. You want her to know that you're a good and *original* boyfriend!
Unfortunately, I am not a blissfully romantic person as it's been 16 years since I was proposed to, nor am I very imaginative, but I am sure someone will come along shortly who is. Congrats and I hope she says YES!:D

MKFD43
01-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Congrats and good luck. I did it at the Magic Kingdom, in front if the castle at the start of the fireworks as tink was sliding down the wire. She never saw tink "fly" before and while she was looking up I was kneeling down. Worked for me, now i got 2 darling daughters who love Disney too. The 1 1/2 just had her first visit in December.

BigRedDad
01-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn't really get a chance to propose to my DW. She screwed all the plans up. So, she got the worst proposal ever. It is all her fault and she admits it.

This is just my :twocents:.

Since she already knows it is happening but she doesn't know when, you have to do something completely dramatic and unexpected. I would definitely not do the proposal at a meal thing. She already knows. Here are some ideas I would do:

1. ToT: Right as you are getting our to where the doors open and before the drop. Yell it out so everyone hears you and then it falls. Of course, you need to secure the ring to a chain or something.

2. Get front row for a parade. Once the front is getting close and gives you the time to get out in the middle before being yelled at by CMs (kind of act like you are going ot get a quick drink or something), get on a knee and yell it out to her.

3. In front of MK where the kids play in front of the train station before rope drop. Right before they do the opening, you can do it there in front of huge crowds.

4. Talk to a CM or contact WDW before hand to see if you could get in the pre-show at DHS. While they do the "family of the day" thing in front of the rope, they may give you a minute in front of everyone to propose before rope drop.

5. See if you can coordinate her favorite character at one of the meet 'n' greets to get on a knee and show her the ring.

6. You can do it in front of the castle where Mickey and Walt are. Talk with the camera guy at first. Tell him what you are doing so he can kind of play along. You can have he point to the ground like you dropped something. You can get on your knee, act like you are picking it, and then show her the ring. This way you will have pictures of the entire proposal. This can really be done anywhere, but in this location you have Mickey, Walt, and the Castle.

I would try to come up with one of the most unexpected times to do it. Something and somewhere a bunch of people will witness it.

1goofydad
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I propose in during the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. We were in front of the roses as you bridge to tomorrow land. She was very suprised. She ran over to the lights to lok at the ring. People were asking if I really had just asked the question. I love the Magic Kingdom and couldn't think of a more speacial place to ask. When we go back we always stop and reflect and tell our kids. Best wishes:thumbsup:

EpcotChic23
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
My husband proposed to me in front of the fountain of nations in Epcot. He knows I am HUGE Epcot fan. So he asked one of the Disney Photo people to take a picture of us in front of the fountain and while they were taking the picture he got down on one knee and proposed. We got a really great picture of the moment that is framed in our living room. When we went to pick up the photo the CM told us the guy who took the picture was so excited that he was able to experience it.

Buttercup
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
One of the above posters had mentioned doing it in front of people in the parade, or on a ride, or at rope drop, etc. I know that if my husband had proposed to me yelling in front of a big crowd, I would have been embarrassed... I'd rather have something quiet and more romantic. More 'personal' if that makes sense. So you've got to decide what kind-of lady you've got there. :)

If it were me, I'd love to be strolling around the little quiet pathways around Cinderella's castle at night when they're just slightly lit up... not many people passing through. Maybe during fireworks or during Spectromagic when nobody is really staring at us wondering what we're doing. If she suspects something, tell her you're just taking a short-cut to Fantasyland or Liberty Square or something and then stop half-way down the path. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
If she knows it's coming, I recommend doing it either first thing, to get it done and enjoy the vacation and each other without her suspecting every move. Or, do it last thing-- build the anticipation and make her think she had it all wrong. You know her best. Would the anticipation drive her crazy in a good way or would it be better to start on that high note?

Also consider, does she like the drama of a public move or would she rather it was just a moment for the two of you? It really isn't every girl's dream to share her engagement with the whole world. But it is the dream for some. Just make sure you get it right for her.

Best wishes!

cer
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the front of castle is going to be refurbished (I know it will be worked on when my family is there Jan 30-Feb 6 - not sure if it will be when you are there).....that being said, if that is your preferred place of proposal, you may want to have a back-up location.

And really like the other posters have said, know your girl...public is not always better...

She will be thrilled!

Congratulations!

JabberJaws
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Well I proposed to my wife at WDW back in 2005. I did lots of research as to different ways to make it special, so I will go through what I did, maybe it will spark some ideas.

I did the actual proposal during a nighttime horse drawn carriage ride at the POFQ/PORS. I spoke with the carriage driver weeks before hand and asked if they could stop at a secluded location about half-way through the ride. They stopped at a pond that was way away from people, roads, etc. We got out and walked around the pond away from the carriage. I told my wife to close her eyes, and I got down on one knee and proposed.

Following the proposal, we went to dinner. I was surprising her w/ the location of dinner. Dinner was at the California Grill. I had spoken with the reservations folks way far in advance and let them know I was going to be coming from proposing to her. I made the ressie during the time when they would be doing the MK fireworks. You cant request a window seat until you get to the restaurant. So I requested one then. When we got seated, not only did we have a PRIME window seat for fireworks viewing, but they had put mickey confetti on our table and gave us complimentary glasses of champagne to celebrate (good thing she said yes!!)

While all this was going on, I had arrange with the hotel weeks before (we were staying at the POFQ) to place some items in the room while we were out at dinner. They put a bottle of champagne (on ice), balloons, an engraved glass slipper (I had it engraved with our names and the date) and engraved (again engraved w/ names and date) champagne flutes. The glass items and engraving were done through Arribas Brothers at Downtown Disney (they do GREAT work and it is affordable).

Without me asking, Disney also put an autographed (by Mickey and Miney) and personalized letter w/ picture in the room congratulating us on our engagement.

Seems like a lot, and it took a decent amount of work, but Disney will help A LOT.

If you make ANY dinner reservations, are staying at a WDW hotel, etc. inform the CMs that you will be celebrating an engagement. They will do a lot on their own and will also accomodate as best they can any requests you have.
Disney has various "gift" baskets, items, etc. you can buy and have placed in your room while you are out, delivered while at a restaurant, etc. Again just call and ask!
Arribas Brothers at DTD does a great job with personlization of hand-blown glass items. They are also relatively affordable. I think they have a website where you can see what they offer.

Of course I should say, before planning any of the POST engagement festivities...best be sure she is going to say yes ;)

Good luck and congratulations!!!!

Superzeus84
01-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, a lot of great ideas. My girlfriend would probably kill me if i did it during a parade or during a show with lots of people around. I think it will be best to do it at the Magic Kingdom on the first day we are there. I like the idea of getting a Photo pass castmember to capture pictures of the whole event(Thanks for that Idea), now i just have to pick out the spot at MK.......The front of the castle is going to be refurbed during that time?????? Anyone have any other locations at MK where we wont have maintence going on in the background of picture...Thanks again everyone.

WishingStar2006
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't have any suggestions on a place if the front of the castle is being refurbed....unless tou get the photopass photographer to concentrate on the Walt and Mickey statue.

On a side note, I just have to say that you men with all of your great ideas and planning to make the proposal special....are VERY SPECIAL!!!! Thanks for keeping romance alive!

BigThunderFan
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I haven't seen any pictures of the scrim up yet in front of the castle so I can't be sure, but I would bet the photographers will be able to take photos without the crane or the scrim in them. Especially at night, I doubt the scrim will even be noticeable since it looks just like the castle wall.

Maybe you could do it on Dumbo. The backside of the castle is very beautiful as well. Not sure if the Photopass people can do that while you are on a ride, but it never hurts to ask :thumbsup:

Good luck! I was planning to propose to my DW there as well back in 2000. Unfortunately the ring was burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't wait the three months until our trip so I did it at Christmas instead :blush:

SBETigg
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
The Castle's Rose Garden might still be relatively unaffected by the work done, or it might be closed.

Does she have a favorite ride or land? You could think of something in her favorite area. If pictures weren't an issue, I would suggest maybe the magic carpets (Symbolic. I can show you the world...). Or at the end of Pirates, near the treasure room. Or outside Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. Marriage is a lot like Space Mountain, a wild ride in which you can't see what's coming, but lots of fun and you can get through it together.

Or have you considered the countries in Epcot? On the bridge with the Eiffel Tower in the background? Or near the koi pond in Japan? There are so many possibilities.

Jillirose
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
You can do it in front of the castle where Mickey and Walt are. Talk with the camera guy at first. Tell him what you are doing so he can kind of play along. You can have he point to the ground like you dropped something. You can get on your knee, act like you are picking it, and then show her the ring. This way you will have pictures of the entire proposal. This can really be done anywhere, but in this location you have Mickey, Walt, and the Castle.

I would try to come up with one of the most unexpected times to do it. Something and somewhere a bunch of people will witness it.

This is a great idea!!:thumbsup:

adoptionislove
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
We sat a table over to a couple at Cinderella's Royal Table. The guy got down on one knee and he had the ring on a glass slipper! The whole place erupted in cheers and tears. It was a really amazing thing to be a part of.

I think if you call ahead to the restaurant, they will help you arrange it!

Best of luck to you both and have a wonderful marraige!!!!:mickey:

handmaidenofprincesses
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't know if this will be affected by the refurb or not, but my favorite place would be Cinderella's fountain, off to the side of the castle on the walkway to Fantasyland.

Good luck!!

Darbylew
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
The castle at the MK sounds wonderful to me.
One time when we were at WDW we were at
the Beauty and the Beast show and someone
went down in front of the stage with his girl
and asked her to marry him right there. I am
sure that he must have talked to a cast member
before hand. I think anywhere at Disney would
be great as most of us love it all!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats to you and your girlfriend. Many
blessings.

Tink#64
01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
I have to say that I just LOVED BigRedDad's ideas! What a hoot and vey original!

But if she'd be more comfortable with a more intimate setting, if you can find any place around the castle, that would be nice. Also I've read about the hot air ballon ride at DTD. ? DIfferent! Are you going to Epcot? So many pretty & perfect places for photo op locations there! What about during a boat ride, particularly at night, maybe from the Wilderness Lodge, in time for the viewing of Wishes from the lake? We did this a few years ago, we had just watched the Floating Electrical Pageant at the WL & then boarded the boat to MK & it was a magical viewing of Wishes! Could be very romantic! Good luck & Pixie Dust to you & yours! Please let us know what you do and surprised she was! :tink:

disneydeb
01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Last December, my dd Amy recieved a proposal in front of the castle. It was priceless to see the look on her face! Her dad and I were there.
The photographer captured it all.
Dustin just stopped with Amy in front of the castle with a photographer had their picture made and then dropped to one knee--
Wow, the photographer went into high gear then!
The next morning we had breakfast ressies at Crystal Palace before the park opened and they had a reinactment photo made with less people in the picture.
They were married in October and went to WDW on their honeymoon. :cloud9:

beksy
01-14-2010, 08:12 AM
My thoughts were of the Rose Garden or in front of her favorite ride. Here's an idea that will probably be vetoed by about everyone but, at night IASW is practically deserted and you can usually get a boat to yourself (especially if you let the operator know what is going on). It's dark, has background music, and would be semi-private. Only problem is no photopass photographer. I really just wanted to thank you for taking the time to figure all of this out and make it special for her. As someone who has not had the best of luck in the romance department its nice to know there are still guys like you out there! :wishes:

BigRedDad
01-14-2010, 08:56 AM
My girlfriend would probably kill me if i did it during a parade or during a show with lots of people around. I think it will be best to do it at the Magic Kingdom on the first day we are there.

With that being the case, what are some of her favorite things at MK? There are many things that you can come up with. Knowing some of the things she likes, we can come up with some good ideas.

With going to the extreme out, here are some ideas (because the castle is partially FUBAR'd for your plan):

1. Get Cinderella's horse on the carousel and propose while she is on it.

2. Inside the Cinderella's Castle, locate the golden spike thing that represents the dead center of MK. Point it out to her, get down on one knee there. This will at least take out the refurb on the outside.

3. Splash Mountain: Get in the front, pull the ring out right before the big drop. This way you have the picture from the ride, the proposal, and the drop all in one.

4. On the RIverboat. If a Disney photographer cannot be there, you could find someone on the riverboat with a camera. I am sure they would not mind it and can do it candidly. Most, if not anyone, would be more than willing to send you the pics afterwords.

5. I do not know the store names, but the ones on Main Street that have items that are only over $10,000 (a slight exaggeration). Go into the store, look at all the extravagant gifts there. It will be semi-secluded. When you are in front of the $25,000 Crystal Castle, get on one knee and propose there. Plan this with a photographer so they can sneak in there to snap pics for you.

jenny1976
01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
This might work...DH did it for a BDay of mine. He made us a ressie at Akershus and since the waiters are in costume, arranged for one of them to bring me an arrangement from the Disney Florist. It was a silver tray with roses, a glass slipper and a tiara. The most perfect moment!!!
Another one could be...When you go to meet Mickey at Toon Town or in Character Connection @ Epcot, or even Sorcerer Mickey @ DHS, have Mickey Kneel Down for the photo and you kneel down and you both (Mickey and you) offer her the ring.

You could also go to the contemporary rooftop to see the MK fireworks and propose there.

I like the carriage idea as well.

A Fireworks Cruise would be perfect as well.

Lastly, you can make like you are going to put something back in the room and leave the ring on her pillow @ the hotel.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Superzeus84
01-14-2010, 09:52 AM
The Castle's Rose Garden might still be relatively unaffected by the work done, or it might be closed.

Does she have a favorite ride or land? You could think of something in her favorite area. If pictures weren't an issue, I would suggest maybe the magic carpets (Symbolic. I can show you the world...). Or at the end of Pirates, near the treasure room. Or outside Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. Marriage is a lot like Space Mountain, a wild ride in which you can't see what's coming, but lots of fun and you can get through it together.

Or have you considered the countries in Epcot? On the bridge with the Eiffel Tower in the background? Or near the koi pond in Japan? There are so many possibilities.

Unfortunetly Splash Mountain is both of our favorite rides......and it is down for a refurb while we are there. I was thinking abouting doing it on Splash before i heard it was being refurbed. She really loves the Haunted Mansion too.....but i dont know if thats the right place.

Superzeus84
01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I have to say that I just LOVED BigRedDad's ideas! What a hoot and vey original!

But if she'd be more comfortable with a more intimate setting, if you can find any place around the castle, that would be nice. Also I've read about the hot air ballon ride at DTD. ? DIfferent! Are you going to Epcot? So many pretty & perfect places for photo op locations there! What about during a boat ride, particularly at night, maybe from the Wilderness Lodge, in time for the viewing of Wishes from the lake? We did this a few years ago, we had just watched the Floating Electrical Pageant at the WL & then boarded the boat to MK & it was a magical viewing of Wishes! Could be very romantic! Good luck & Pixie Dust to you & yours! Please let us know what you do and surprised she was! :tink:

I love the hot air balloon ride idea at DTD. That would be really pretty.

Superzeus84
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I Just came up with another idea but it isnt at one of the parks. Maybe.....I could order a Limo for pickup at Orlando Airport and have the chaffeur hold up a sign saying "........ Family". At that point, i could say to her hey " I guess thats our limo" Then i would have him hold up another sign(Of course i would have to call ahead and set this up) that says "Will you Marry me?" And at that point I would get down on one knee and propose to her............Thoughts?????? I thought it would be kind of funny if i had him have a third sign that said "Okay now since that is over, lets go start the rest of our lives and our vacation too.
(Probably would have to be a pretty big sign, LOL)

So since everyone is being so helpful with ideas. And Since I have pretty much decided that I will be doing it on the first day we are there..... I thought i Would share our itenerary for the day.

Wednesday Feb 3rd

Arrive Orlando 10 AM
(Possibly propose at airport)

Check into Carribbean beach

Go To Magic Kingdom
(Propose at dusk with castle in background)

Chef Mickeys for dinner

Downtown Disney
(Propose on Hot Air balloon ride)

Sooooo What do you all think???

By the way does anyone know how late the hot air balloon ride operates and how much it is too?

Again, thank you all so much for helping me out and for giving me all these great ideas.

magicofdisney
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I would nix proposing at the airport, but I bet that's the last place she'd expect it.

I'm not a romantic at heart (I know this is odd coming from a woman) but I think it's sweet you're putting so much thought into this.

divinedi
01-14-2010, 11:11 AM
No suggestions myself, just wanted to wish you good luck and best wishes for a long and happy life together:cloud9:!!

(Although I do like the proposal at dusk at MK with the castle in the background:)).

marlaine
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Reading this thread makes tears in my eyes!
How wonderful it is for a guy to put so much thought into a proposal! I wish you a long life together. She is one lucky lady!

Tink#64
01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
This is turning into the coolest thread! I'm not sure who's got the best, original, most romantic ideas - Superzeus84 or BigRedDad? This is so cool. I'm so not romantic or even very thoughtful! My DH is the romantic one! I'm not sure I'd have even appreciated this much thought & effort! For me, originality would definitely win over romantic or sappy, but that's just me. Who is she? What would SHE like? You know her. What would be special for her? Tell us who she is, what gets to her, who is her favorite character since your fav ride is down? Favorite restaurant? Fav park? Is she quiet, or would spontaneous really grab her? Something really sweet or really unique? This is huge & you are putting so much into it, think about her, and what would be special to her :cloud9: (other than the proposal of course!) :D

BigRedDad
01-15-2010, 06:34 AM
You have an advantage. You get to plan for it :). For me, I never even got to ask. My DW screwed up the hole thing by accusing me of cheating on her. Oh how wrong she was.

Because she would be embarrassed for a proposal in wide open public, your limo idea would work perfectly. Plus, it is your idea. Here is how I would do it:

1. Get a good limo, not the $100 one-way one. Spend a little more for the super luxury one.

2. Have the driver hold the sign up saying: "Mr. and Mrs. xxxxx". See if she even notices and if she does kind of laugh it off. You would need the driver aware of it as well just so he can laugh off the mistake as well.

3. Have them provide a nice bottle of champagne for the ride. Yes, it will cost another extra $100-$200, but who cares. The ring cost much more than that and you will only do it once.

4. You can pop the question in the limo when ever you see fit. For me, I would do it right as you were getting out at CBR. You can get out first and as she is getting out, you can get on a knee there and propose on the spot.

Totodog
01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
We sat a table over to a couple at Cinderella's Royal Table. The guy got down on one knee and he had the ring on a glass slipper! The whole place erupted in cheers and tears. It was a really amazing thing to be a part of.

I think if you call ahead to the restaurant, they will help you arrange it!

Best of luck to you both and have a wonderful marraige!!!!:mickey:

Hey, that was me! Ok, maybe I'm not THAT guy you are talking about but that's exactly what I did when I proposed. And yes, you do call ahead, and someone will secretly meet you during your meal and take the ring and put it in a glass slipper for you and present it along with a photographer to capture it.

I also asked if they could bring a bowl of jello, which they didn't have at the resturant, and I have no idea how they did it. I had a great CM cause she was able to get it for me. Then when it came time for desert, they brought the jello and I got down on one knee and asked my bride-to-be..if she could be jello (If you've ever seen My Best Friend's Wedding...you'll understand this) Then I presented the slipper with the ring in it.

They had set us up with a great table by the window, and no more had she said yes, then the fireworks started going off and we had a front row seat to them. Perfect night!

magicofdisney
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
They had set us up with a great table by the window, and no more had she said yes, then the fireworks started going off and we had a front row seat to them. Perfect night!

Ok, that's just too cool. :mickey:

fielin
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I Just came up with another idea but it isnt at one of the parks. Maybe.....I could order a Limo for pickup at Orlando Airport and have the chaffeur hold up a sign saying "........ Family".

I love this idea because :
- This is YOUR idea
- This is right at the beginning, which is probably the time she expects the least
- You can slightly change your plans to do your proposal privately inside the limo.

If you move your proposal inside the limo, here is what I'd do to enhance the experience :
- Ask for a bottle of champagne and glasses
- Ask for roses (and maybe a few petals) to decorate the limo
- Send them / ask them to play her favorite song as soon as you arrive in the car
- Prepare a backup plan in case the driver forgets to do as you asked. :)

sagitarius
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
You should propose to her at the Adventurers club. Oh wait, nevermind. :(

Rain0975
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
This is a fun thread indeed! Firstly, congrats on your upcoming engagement!

I agree with everyone who says to pop the question early in your trip. Since she knows it's coming, I think it's better to make it happen quickly, and then the rest of your trip turns into an engagement celebration, you know?

As for the how, there are some great ideas here. My only input would be to definitely involve a photographer to capture the moment! If you do it inside a WDW park, you can get a Photopass photographer, and if not (or if you'd prefer a dedicated photographer for the occasion) I'm sure you can find a local shutterbug to meet up with you wherever you like. Check the Orlando Craigslist, maybe?

Best of luck on the engagement and your future! :)

jwallace378
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I did it in 2003. I was planning on proposing on the beach of the Poly while the fireworks were happening over the Castle. I was so nervous and I wanted to get it over with as soon as I got down there though. We were staying at the Beach Club Villas, so I proposed on the beach overlooking the Boardwalk at sunset...not the plans I had originally wanted, but it still worked out for the best! Good Luck!

Ksmith75
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
This might sound weird. But the barbershop quartet guys at the MK..they might help. We were at the main street bakery and they asked if they could sing for DH and I and my DH asked them to sing a song about fudge (that is what we were buying) it was great and funny. Ask them if they would just walk up to you two and start singing a wedding proposal song...I am sure they will do it. I am sure she wouldnt expect that!

clausjo
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I love this thread! I'm sure whatever you come up with will be perfect for her. I really like the limo proposal idea though, this way it's a private, special moment between the two of you. If you wait until you've arrived at the hotel, the driver can get the picture for you. We'll be there at the same time! Best of luck to you both, marriage is a wonderful adventure!

Superzeus84
01-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Everyone, sorry i havent wrote anything on this thread in a bit, I have been crazy busy. But I again wanted to thank everyone for all the ideas and help.

I would have loved to do it on Splash Mountain but that cant happen due to it being refurbed.

Im still stuck between doing it at the Magic kingdom(if i can find the right angle) and the hot air balloon at DTD.

Does anyone know the what the hours are for the Balloon ride?

Thanks!

ImagiAsh
02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Well I proposed to my wife at WDW back in 2005. I did lots of research as to different ways to make it special, so I will go through what I did, maybe it will spark some ideas.

I did the actual proposal during a nighttime horse drawn carriage ride at the POFQ/PORS. I spoke with the carriage driver weeks before hand and asked if they could stop at a secluded location about half-way through the ride. They stopped at a pond that was way away from people, roads, etc. We got out and walked around the pond away from the carriage. I told my wife to close her eyes, and I got down on one knee and proposed.

Following the proposal, we went to dinner. I was surprising her w/ the location of dinner. Dinner was at the California Grill. I had spoken with the reservations folks way far in advance and let them know I was going to be coming from proposing to her. I made the ressie during the time when they would be doing the MK fireworks. You cant request a window seat until you get to the restaurant. So I requested one then. When we got seated, not only did we have a PRIME window seat for fireworks viewing, but they had put mickey confetti on our table and gave us complimentary glasses of champagne to celebrate (good thing she said yes!!)

While all this was going on, I had arrange with the hotel weeks before (we were staying at the POFQ) to place some items in the room while we were out at dinner. They put a bottle of champagne (on ice), balloons, an engraved glass slipper (I had it engraved with our names and the date) and engraved (again engraved w/ names and date) champagne flutes. The glass items and engraving were done through Arribas Brothers at Downtown Disney (they do GREAT work and it is affordable).

Without me asking, Disney also put an autographed (by Mickey and Miney) and personalized letter w/ picture in the room congratulating us on our engagement.

Seems like a lot, and it took a decent amount of work, but Disney will help A LOT.

If you make ANY dinner reservations, are staying at a WDW hotel, etc. inform the CMs that you will be celebrating an engagement. They will do a lot on their own and will also accomodate as best they can any requests you have.
Disney has various "gift" baskets, items, etc. you can buy and have placed in your room while you are out, delivered while at a restaurant, etc. Again just call and ask!
Arribas Brothers at DTD does a great job with personlization of hand-blown glass items. They are also relatively affordable. I think they have a website where you can see what they offer.

Of course I should say, before planning any of the POST engagement festivities...best be sure she is going to say yes ;)

Good luck and congratulations!!!!

This is the sweetest thing I have ever heard! So romantic!

Daisy712
02-05-2012, 10:15 AM
What great ways to propose!!!! We saw a proposal one night at the Haunted Mansion during EMH. It was in the stretching room during the preshow. I believe he proposed to her in the dead center of the room. He yelled, "She said yes!" We all applauded and cheered. What a memorable proposal for everyone!!!!:mickey:

Jillirose
02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
6. You can do it in front of the castle where Mickey and Walt are. Talk with the camera guy at first. Tell him what you are doing so he can kind of play along. You can have he point to the ground like you dropped something. You can get on your knee, act like you are picking it, and then show her the ring. This way you will have pictures of the entire proposal. This can really be done anywhere, but in this location you have Mickey, Walt, and the Castle.

Love this idea!:thumbsup:

Hair_Razor
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Let us know what you do and how it goes!

MNNHFLTX
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
3. Splash Mountain: Get in the front, pull the ring out right before the big drop. This way you have the picture from the ride, the proposal, and the drop all in one.

Strangely enough, that was one of the first scenarios that popped into my head when I read the OP's question. Definitely would be a memorable moment, lol!!

Renfairwedding
02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
They charter boats on Bay Lake during the fireworks. That could be a very romantic place.

brivers222
02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
let the folks at crystal palace know... you can propose and Tigger can marry you right there :)

On our Disneymoon tigger "re-married" us in front of the entire restaurant

What ever you choose make sure you have a means to get the thing on video or photo....

You can always pay for one of those Photopass portrait sessions and then propose to her at one of the locations you agree on with the Photopass person.

minnie04
02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Everyone has great ideas for you. I think the front of the castle has been done already ya know, (not that there is anything wrong with it, but she might expect it) make her think you are going to do it at these places. The castle, dinner, fireworks etc. and keep her wondering. I was thinking maybe make it more humorous what about the monsters Inc. Comedy show. Maybe you could slip a cast member a note with what you want to do and have them find you in the crowd before they start the show. And when they shine the lights on you, you can take it from there. If for some reason they can’t or don’t then maybe try just out of nowhere stop her and drop to your knee and ask away. I think you will know when it’s the right time.

If you don’t mind me asking (and you don’t have to answer) how does she know you’re going to do this??

dmallan
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
The date on the original post is Jan 2010, so hopefully the OP is married by now! I wonder how he proposed!

minnie04
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
The date on the original post is Jan 2010, so hopefully the OP is married by now! I wonder how he proposed!

:oops:!!!! :D I'm guessing he didnt use any of our ideas we are 2 YEARS!! late ..:funny::funny:

disneykidsince1970
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Someone said the limo idea was good - it is your idea and very romantic - plus, added benefit of it happening right away. What if...

you spring for the limo as a surprise? You get in, and yes, it is nice, her music, champagne, etc. THe driver says he is taking you to your hotel... then... he drives PAST your hotel.

You get a little annoyed but play it off - "maybe he needs to make a U-Turn or something..? " but then, he isn't... you get a little more anoyed..."of all trips to get a renegade driver!" and then... he drives to...? the wedding pavillion at Grand Fla? When you get there, he pretends that there is car trouble and needs to make a few phone calls to get a tow truck...

You say, "I can't believe this!! well...let's at least walk around while he figures out what to do..."

Maybe they let you "borrow" the Pavillion for your proposal! You walk in - Castle exactly in the window and then you POP! the question!?

Whatever it is... it will be GREAT!!:thumbsup:

Congratulations!!

disneykidsince1970
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
OMG!! This was 2 years ago!!??

How embarassing!!

But... it IS a great thread!

disneykidsince1970
02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
seriously ...now, I am dying to know how he did it!!!

jillluvsdisney
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
On Main st in the MK. Have a photopass cast member take your picture with the castle in the background. Before they take the picture, pop the question, then you can have a photo of her reaction.

ImagiAsh
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
seriously ...now, I am dying to know how he did it!!!

I know! It was my fault for bringing it back up again. I was actually doing a forum search and some of the key words I entered had triggered this post. I want to know what happened!:mickey:

Terra
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Here's where he updated :) Hope there living a magical life :)

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=167123

ImagiAsh
02-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Here's where he updated :) Hope there living a magical life :)

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=167123

Thank you!!

dmallan
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for finding that!

Terra
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Thank you!!

Thanks for finding that!

No problem :) I was curious myself. I wish he was still on here. I would love to hear about the wedding! Looks like he hasn't been on since the summer of 2010

LudwigVonDrake
02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Congratulations!!! :wave:

jwallace378
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Congrats! I proposed on the beach at Beach Club overlooking the lake and Boardwalk as the fireworks were going off behind us in Epcot. Needless to say, she said "yes". We went on our honeymoon there and took our 6 month old son 2 years later. He's now 4 and we are planning another trip this year.

Patricia
02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I love it when an old thread pops up.

Always good advice on Icot!

A Big Kid
02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
I am kind of a private dude so I wouldnt want to involve the whole park in my proposal. I'm not saying it is wrong, but just wrong for me.

At any rate, here is my idea. There are any number of companies out there that can make fortune cookies with your own personal message. You can order one with the message like, " a magical question is in your future" or something like that and have the server present it after dinner at 9 Dragons or something.

Tearin_it_up
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Is there photopass employees around at the Animal Kingdom Lodge does anybody know? I'm starting to put together my own plans maybe

mickclub1955
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
yes you can schedule a photopass photographer for a private shooting but it costs way extra and is not included in the photo pass cd deal. We saw this at the AKL and inquired about it and said no thank you.