PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Pop Century\Resort Smell

DizRunner
01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Just got back from staying at Pop Century for the marathon weekend. This was my third time and each time I walk through the doors into the lobby...Boom! It hits me like a ton of bricks. It has a very distinct smell to it. I can't put my finger on it. Don't know if it's a combination of the food court and the heating (it definately wasn't air conditioning this weekend, if you know what I mean). Or maybe what they use to clean the place.

I don't know...but I'd love to bottle it. Everytime I smell it, it's a "Welcome Home" to me.

It's not a great smell. But it's definately a distinct smell.

If you know what I mean, have you ever smelled this smell at home?

DisneyPrincess21
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
:huh:

Strmchsr
01-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Yep. Pop has a very "Pop" smell. Of course, if you're walking past the "rainforest" as DS4 calls it you get a unique smell, too, but that one is not quite as nice. :sick: I definitely know the smell you're talking about. I think I'll go downstairs and check it out right now. :mickey:

olivegirl
01-12-2010, 07:52 AM
We also smell THAT smell. There are 2 distinct smells. The food court wonderful smell that hits you when you check in. Then there is that smell when you head to your room. The smell of fertilizer is sometimes overpowering first thing in the morning. I am up every morning to do my run and it does hit you like a brickwall! But hey ...we are in Disney!!! :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
That is all Disney needs to do. Market Disney scents on a disc like the one air freshener does. Different times of the day, different scents from WDW come into the home. All I will need to add on 50lbs is the bakery smell from Main Street.

BigThunderFan
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
You know smells are one thing that will enduce (sp?) memories more than just about anything else. Even just thinking about a smell can take you back. I don't know if I even realized the scent (we'll call it that going forward, smell has too many bad conotations) when we were there, but reading this post suddenly took me there and I could mentally picture the "scent" if that's possible...:cloud9:

big blue and hairy
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
You know smells are one thing that will enduce (sp?) memories more than just about anything else.

Very true. Even a bad smell can induce a good memory. If you've ever smelled an International Paper plant, it's not a pleasant odor. But, there is an IP plant in Ticonderoga, NY on the north end of Lake George. Every year we spent to weeks at the lake and every year we smelled IP on the way up and one or two times during our stay when the wind shifted. Every time I smell it, it takes me to Lake George.

:sulley:

Ian
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I know the smell you're talking about ... I always thought it was the wafting scents of the food court all mingled together.

It usually has kind of a "fried foods" undertone for me. But yeah ... smells are very powerful memory jogs.

Tink#64
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
ok, maybe that's why I love Pop so much! I'm really a "smell" kind of person! But honestly it's not something that I've ever really noticed. But Disney is big on their smells! LOL. It's the whole association thing - right? It must be some comfort smell & that why it hooks us all but we can't put a name to it! Too funny, but my money says there's something to it! I'd love to get a definitive answer on this one! :D

QTPie68
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Hmm..I really never noticed a POP scent, but I can say that AKL has a little woody-smokey aroma to it I just love...just something about walking into that lobby and taking a big wiff.

caryrae
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
:sing:Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell:sing:

grumpydude
01-13-2010, 08:40 PM
:scratch:

TheMartellFamily
01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
maybe it is the smell of days gone bye. I know what you are talking about and I say the same thing every time I walk in.