PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion please...

DakandZakMom
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Normally I go to WDW every summer and stay on site with the dining plan. This year due to the economy the only way that I will be able to go is to stay offsite. I am having a hard time with this beacuse I have never stayed offsite and never really wanted to. That being said it is better to go and stay offsite than to not go at all. Right????

cfoshe
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
My wife and I have never stayed offsite, but she has accepted a postion at a time share company as a trip planner, and she can get a realy good deal staying offsite. So I would say future trips for us is offsite. With that said, it depends if you use the extras you get staying onsite, EMH, food plan, transportation, etc. I noticed this Dec that parking fees at the parks are now $12 a day. I know that depending on how you eat, that can get expensive without the food plan. But I would go and stay offsite in order to go.

DizneyRox
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Run the numbers and make sure you include parking, extra time to get places, gas, rental car, etc into the cost of the trip.

I have found that many times staying offsite is more expensive (or at the very least a wash) than settling for onsite.

DakandZakMom
01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I have run the numbers and it seems to be $1000 cheaper to stay offsite. I would drive either way. I am bummed. Maybe a really good deal on rooms will come up....

Ms. Mode
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I ran the numbers for our trip (just back) and we would have saved only about $100 staying off property. Having said that, we did spend two nights off property because we had to leave home early because the weather was threatening.

One other aspect to deal with is driving in WDW and getting to where you're trying to get. The bus drivers make it look so easy...but it's NOT!

Ian
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I have run the numbers and it seems to be $1000 cheaper to stay offsite. I would drive either way. I am bummed. Maybe a really good deal on rooms will come up....That's not hard to believe if you're traveling over the summer. What happens is that Disney really jacks up their rates over the busy summer season, but the off-site places don't raise their's nearly as much so the difference becomes much more significant.

Is going off-peak an option? You can save a small fortune by not going during the busiest time of the year.

WishingStar2006
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I have done both and would no longer even consider staying off-site. The best part of a disney vacation is total immersion in the magic. Every step you take is all disney...staying off-site brings in the real world and that's why I go to WDW for vacation...to escape real life for a while. I am pretty much a deluxe resort person however, if budget meant chosing between deluxe accomodations offsite and value on site, I would go value on site...and I can't believe I'm saying that...but that's how important the immersion in the magic is to me. If that isn't a big factor for you...then by all means, stay off site and have a great time!!!!!!

If your choice is between not going at all and staying off-ste, then I say you should stay offsite. However, if you swing fewer days but staying at a value, that's what I would do!

DakandZakMom
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I am just being a big baby!! I know that I should be grateful that I can go at all. Thanks again for all the input.

MushuGrl
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm trying to imagine canceling my trip (next week omgomgomgomggojfohfoiewhei)..what was I gonna say?

Oh..canceling my trip next week or staying offsite...much as I LOVE staying onsite, I love the parks more than the hotels. Go, have a ball, and remember a day offsite but still going to Disney is better than a day at work!

BTW how far offsite are we talking? Lots of hotels in the area will still shuttle you to and from the parks!

Tink#64
01-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Stay offiste & enjoy WDW of course! We visited in April '08, last minute trip and nothing was available on property anywhere! My DH found us a "room" at a hotel on ? (:blush: whatever the hwy is in front of WDW property! LOL) for $47.00 per night! Yes it was only a hotel room but we were able to go to go to WDW! My DH had lost 2nd job in 6 months! After 10 years his company moved to Mexico! Next job let go an entire shift one night! We had planned a very different trip for the fall of that year. DS's were about to go on Spring Break, I had vaca time so we booked, & left in a weeks' time! We drove, also first time for that! It wouldn't be my 1st choice to stay offsite or drive again, but better that than not to go to WDW at all! We were able to move on property by day 3 & we did & felt like we were "home" again, but the price was so good at the offsite hotel that I asked DH if we shouldn't just stay there the entire week? ! DH said NO! But it was a decent property & a huge covered pool and we were minutes from WDW parks! We also had the advantage for the first time ever of having our car & being able to eat cheaper at the various fast food restaurants around us!

Sorry so long, but the point is, if staying offsite lets you comfortably visit WDW - then GO FOR IT! What are you waiting for? Your experience in the parks is definitely not determined by where you sleep! :thumbsup:

Sending some pixie dust your way for all good things! :pixie: