PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest at WDW Book for me! Help!

forever a child
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM
I am looking for a good recommendation for a book on WDW and/or DL.

I am NOT really wanting the tourist book on the parks. I am wanting something that deals more with the history, little know facts and something that also may include park info for any of the parks in the USA and Internationally.

My DD is wanting such a book and I would love your suggestions with a little information as to what your suggested book covers so we can make a good decision.

Thanks for your help!!!:mickey:

IceRef
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Forever:

I book that I have found to be very comprehensive was titled “ Walt Disney Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Real Magic” it was authored by a group called the Imagineers.

It is almost a coffee table size paperback with tons of pictures, and details about the design of numerous attractions, and even mentions the water parks. Tokyo and Paris have brief mentions as mine has a 1996 publishing date. There should be a number of sources for the book you may be able to research to see if it is what you might be considering.

forever a child
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks IceRef...I'll take a look at it! :mickey:

Buttercup
01-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a couple:
The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom of Walt Disney World - By the Imagineers!

And
Pirates of the Varibbean, from the Kingdom to the Movies - By Jason Surrell

Basically any of the "Disney Editions" books have great history on the parks.

kakn7294
01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Not sure how old your DD is. Mine are 10 and 14. We all enjoyed reading "The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at WDW", "The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at WDW", and "The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom at WDW". They have a lot of interesting facts and history of the parks in a pocket-sized paperback book. They also like "The Walt Disney World Trivia Book" 1 and 2 by Lou Mongello. It's not exactly a history book but it has a lot of great trivia facts.

kakn7294
01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I have a couple:
The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom of Walt Disney World - By theLooks like we were posting at the same time! Great minds think alike!

forever a child
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
DD is 15 and we are wanting more of a nice collector's book. Hardcover would be great but PB is ok. More like a tabletop style book or "history" book, LOL.

But thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at all of them!:D

forever a child
01-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Not sure how old your DD is. Mine are 10 and 14. We all enjoyed reading "The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at WDW", "The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at WDW", and "The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom at WDW". They have a lot of interesting facts and history of the parks in a pocket-sized paperback book. They also like "The Walt Disney World Trivia Book" 1 and 2 by Lou Mongello. It's not exactly a history book but it has a lot of great trivia facts.

You know now that I think of it...the pocket sized book might be fun for carrying in the park on our trip too! thanks!:thumbsup:

faline
01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness also covers a bit of history. Each chapter covers a different park at Disney World. At the end of the chapter is a brief history of that park.

goofy89
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Over the summer I read "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan Veness. It is fairly new and really up to date. It has a lot of really interesting facts and secrets. It breaks it down by park and talks about the history and secrets in each area. :thumbsup: It's a must read for Disney fans!

kemps@wdw
01-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Hidden Magic, Imagineers Field Guide, and WDW-then, Now, and Forever.

brownie
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
You might want to put off buying Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. A new edition is slated to be released later this spring.

Any of the Imagineering Field Guides are good; be sure to get the updated edition for the Magic Kingdom. An updated edition for Epcot is scheduled for release this spring.

Since the World Began: Walt Disney World the First 25 Years by Jeff Kurtti is an excellent book as is Designing Disney by John Hench. Other good books include The Making of Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park by Melody Malmberg, The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak by Jason Surrell and Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends by Jeff Kurtti.

Some "non-Disney" books include Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard Foglesong, Walt's Revolution! By the Numbers by Harrison Price, and Spinning Disney's World by Charles Ridgway.

dumbo_buddy
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Some "non-Disney" books include Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard Foglesong, Walt's Revolution! By the Numbers by Harrison Price, and Spinning Disney's World by Charles Ridgway.

can you tell me a little more about these? how "non-disney" are they? as in, how anti-disney are they?

brownie
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
can you tell me a little more about these? how "non-disney" are they? as in, how anti-disney are they?

Not anti-Disney at all. I called them "non-Disney" since they weren't published by Disney.

DizneyRox
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm a big fan of: Walt Disney's Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow

It's a 1982 book that deals only with Epcot Center, but I've found it very enjoyable and full of history. There's a bunch in there that never made it to the actual park. It carries a premium since it's out of print, but a must get for any Disney fan.

There's a gardening book released a couple years ago that I thought was interesting too. Not big on history, but an interesting read nonetheless...

Ian
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Since the World Began: Walt Disney World the First 25 Years by Jeff Kurtti is an excellent book as is Designing Disney by John Hench.I'd recommend either one of these.

forever a child
02-15-2010, 10:41 AM
This has been a great post. Thank you everyone for sharing. DD is book shopping now :mickey:

Giggy
02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
by Susan Veness also covers a bit of history. Each chapter covers a different park at Disney World. At the end of the chapter is a brief history of that park.

Over the summer I read "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan Veness. It is fairly new and really up to date. It has a lot of really interesting facts and secrets. It breaks it down by park and talks about the history and secrets in each area. :thumbsup: It's a must read for Disney fans!

I bought this book recently and I was just about to recomend it myself. It has some very interesting facts about all 4 parks and goes through each land/ride revealing fun trivia, easter eggs and history for each one.

The author of this book is also co-author of the 'A Brit's Guide to Walt Disney World and Orlando' series with her husband. That being our main go to guide book when organising a trip. :mickey:

Scott C
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
As a long time avid WDW book collector -- my first thought was to suggest "Since the World Began" I feel that it is the closest to meeting your requirements. All of the other suggestions are good also. If money is no object -- "Disneyland- the nickel tour" is excellent -- but they are bringing about $200 currently.

Thanks
Scott C

EmmMOM2
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I would suggest the new SEQUEL to the book everyone is talking about...
It's called "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real"

IT comes out in May 2010, but you can preorder it now!!! Considering the last one came out so long ago, this one I'm sure will be much more up to date!!

SBETigg
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Don't forget that you can click on the Amazon.com link from this page and your purchase will help benefit INTERCOT. If you were planning on buying from Amazon.