PDA

View Full Version : Interview Followup Etiquette

DVC2004
01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know what to do- what do you think? I had a phone interview on 12/20 (company is out of state) and it went very well. The manager (who is interviewing) said he would contact me for a second interview with both he and his partner (who is also out of state). It was supposed to be New Years week (last week). I didn't hear back so I emailed last week and he said his partner had family in for the holidays and would get back to me as soon as they could cooridnate thier schedule. Well it's been another week and so far nothing. Would it be wrong to email/follow up again or wait until next week? Or not at all? I am very interested and our interview went well. His follow up email indicated he was also very interested in me. ???? I know it was the holidays so I don't want to be a pest...

SBETigg
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Either mail (not email) a nice letter thanking him for the interview and expressing that you are looking forward to hearing from him. Or, let it go until next week. A lot of businesses are just getting back in the swing this week after the holidays and you will probably have better luck of getting a favorable response if you wait a week. And try Tuesday, not Monday. Mondays are usually swamped.

Forgot to add-- best wishes! It sounds promising.

LibertyTreeGal
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, definitely email him a thank you note telling him how much you appreciate his time and that you look forward to hearing from him when his busy schedule permits :)

Employers want you to be excited about their company, but they don't want to be nagged. Phrasing it as a thank you note avoids this.

BigRedDad
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Like a PP said, do not email a thank you letter. You are better off mailing one. Email becomes to impersonal. My nephew, straight out of college, mailed a Thank You letter. It was his graduation thank you notes, but it is what put him over the edge. It was the main reason his boss hired him.

Ian
01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
As someone who's done a lot of hiring in his day, I can tell you that it's a very fine line between showing interest in a job and becoming irritating. Without a doubt there was at least one guy I can remember who did not get a job he interviewed with me for because he sent me like ten follow-up emails and just ended up getting on my nerves.

Persistence is one thing, but irritation is something totally different.

I'd wait at least another week. The guy was pretty clear that he'd reach out to you as soon as their schedules synched up.

QTPie68
01-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I actually just started last month a job that I thought I did not get. Had a great phone and then personal interview, did a follow-up thank you (with a promise I would hear back within 24 hours) and then.....nothing...... gave up on it.

Two weeks later, phone call and e-mail came with job offer, so you never know, many things can hold job hiring stuff up.

Good Luck!!

murphy1
01-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Just wanted to say hello Diane and good luck!! Are you moving to FL?

DVC2004
01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Just wanted to say hello Diane and good luck!! Are you moving to FL?

Hey!!! Good to "see" you! No, unfortunately this job would be a telecommute job so although they are out of state I would still be here in IL freezing! I would love to move to FL!

murphy1
01-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I have given dh a couple of years and we are going back, my sister just moved back and all my family and best friends are down there. I do love GA, I started playing more golf, but I Fl is home. Let us know how the job works out!!

Rekenna
01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Time moves differently on the hiring manager side vs. the hiree. If you haven't already, I send handwritten Thank You cards-just 1. If you don't hear back, then it just wasn't meant to be. I had to have this outlook when job searching or I would have driven myself crazy.

If this isn't the right job for you, than that just means your job is out there-waiting for you! Believe me I went through over 100 resumes, 8 years, and 2 degrees to get the job I wanted-just to 1 company!

It will work out!:)