PDA

View Full Version : DDP shock!!!

elmjimmlm
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I just called to add the dining to our reservation and found out that it will be 1205.70 for my 5 in June for 6 days...I don't know that we will spend 1200.00 for food in 6 days...What happened? Why are they raising prices? Last year they took off the gratuity and now its higher and no tip...I love having it all paid in advance but at this price, I don't know that its worth it...Where are the savings?

BigThunderFan
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
It's only "worth it" if you are already planning on eating at a table service and a counter service every day you are there. But who would really do that in reality without the dining plan? Well some people I'm sure, but not my family! We find it to be worth it because we would not eat at most of those places if we did not have the DDP and it was prepaid. I know you pay for it one way or another, but it just seems worse to actually have to look at the price when you are ordering. I love just picking something off the menu and not caring at all what it costs because I paid for it 45 days ago!:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
There's really not much in the way of savings. However, Disney kept the prices lower so it was somewhat of a good deal for a few years. Now that everyone is used to it most folks will pay for it without blinking an eyelash to see if it really is the better deal. We probably won't do it anymore. Last trip we didn't do the ddp and I think we definitely came out better for it.

WishingStar2006
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I think if you routinely eat a TS everyday and a CS everyday, it is definitely worth it.

bob6572
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
With 3 kids under 10 it is definately worth it when you figure one buffett is more than a days cost.

dumbo_buddy
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
for DH and i it was only worth it when it was free :)

we usually just bring oatmeal packets for breakfast and make pb&j's for lunch. then we'll do a TS or CS for dinner and that definitely is cheaper than the DDP!

DizneyRox
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Where are the savings?
I don't know if I ever heard Disney refer to the DDP as any sort of savings. I think as people start realizing the true costs of the DDP or the real savings in actually paying for what you realistically eat, you'll see a shift more towards OOP. Then Disney will come up with another way to con people into falling for it.

droopy d.
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
It was a savings for my family until my DS and DD turned 12, 11 my kids cant eat 42 dollars in food so this year we are going without the DDP. 22 more days until the fun begins

Hammer
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
To the original poster, you do not mention when you are going to WDW. The DDP has tiered pricing this year.

My thoughts, for what they are worth. While some people may see the DDP as Disney trying to "con" its customers, it really does depend on how you and your family eat on vacation. Personally, I was raised in a family where you go out for a sit down meal at a nice, non-chain restaurant while on vacation, regardless of the location. When we are at these meals, usually everyone orders a separate appetizer, entrée and dessert and everyone tries each others' food (this is what we use our bread plates for ;) ). We are also not compelled to clean our plates. So, when I take my parents for an overnight trip to Disney on my DVC points, I get the Deluxe Dining Plan to treat my parents to a nice signature meal.

With all that said, we aren't planning on doing it for our longer trip this year. This is because we have now tried all the Signature restaurants and think this year we will only eat at one signature, so the Deluxe will be too many credits and we would be buying many out of pocket appetizers on the Basic Dining Plan. We have always had Tables In Wonderland as it pays for itself with discounts on alcohol for our visits, so we'll try that. We'll just use the Dining Plan for short visits.

Joannelet
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
We find unless its free its not worth it. There is no way you can eat that much during your stay. It drove my husband crazy and the last day we had so many CS left he bought 3 breakfasts just so that he felt like he was getting his money's worth. (ugh)
We would have spent less money I feel without it. We don't usually eat snacks during the day and on occasion will eat maybe a TS and a CS but not everyday.
It depends on how much you eat really. I literally hated myself for how much food I ate because I felt like I had to. :( I don't like feeling that way on vacation.
We felt like we ate our way through the world and that is just plain gross.

bxrluv
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
With two daughter age 11 and 16 paying those high adult prices, it's so not worth it to us. :spend:Who knows when they feel like eating and how much? I wish they had a 'junior' price especially for small 10 yr olds. Are they really going to eat adult portions? Maybe someday with an adult trip, it would be great
:cloud9:

KatrinaJ91
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Try the Quick-Service dining plan instead! We did this in July and loved it. You get 2 counter service meals and 2 snacks per day per person. It is alot cheaper than the regular DDP and we found some wonderful restaurants. I think there is a way to trade-in 2 meals for a table service as well if you want to do that. We kept all of our receipts and figured up we saved quite a bit of money overall!

Genie1953
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
To the original poster, you do not mention when you are going to WDW. The DDP has tiered pricing this year.

Yes and the unfortunate thing about the tiered pricing is that if your vacation package begins during a more expensive time frame then the higher price will continue throughout your stay. We are checking in on 4/10/2010 which is the last day of the $47.99 time frame. This meant our dining plan was going to cost us $47.99 per night for each of us for our entire vacation so what we did was do a room-only reservation for the first night and then started our Magic Your Way package with Dining Plan on 4/11 when the dining plan rate drops to $41.99 per night. Saved us about $180 by doing that.

doodleboy
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I have been doing the math after returning from my trips for years to see if it would be worth it on the next trip, and it never adds up. I have always spent less money and managed to over eat without the DDP. I do take advantage of Tables In Wonderland card and use it for more than one trip. Buying it with the DVC discount saves me money on TS, which is where you blow the most $$$. Even with the gratuity being included, I feel it's worth the savings, since I always tip 20% anyway.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I have been doing the math after returning from my trips for years to see if it would be worth it on the next trip, and it never adds up. I have always spent less money and managed to over eat without the DDP. I do take advantage of Tables In Wonderland card and use it for more than one trip. Buying it with the DVC discount saves me money on TS, which is where you blow the most $$$. Even with the gratuity being included, I feel it's worth the savings, since I always tip 20% anyway.

We do the same thing. The DDP just doesn't seem to make sense for us.
Not to mention not wanting to tie up so much of our day eating...every day!!

Dsnygirl
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
We haven't found the DDP to be that great, as it so severly restricts what's available to the "under 10" crowd, and overprices what the 10 yr olds and that age-group eat. So, we've done w/o it the last few trips, and didn't mind.

But now, with the tiered pricing (which I wasn't aware of 'til I saw this post...) we definitely won't do it...

I can see tiered pricing on accomodations, as most places charge more for hotel rooms at peak times of year.

But tiered pricing on food??? Seriously, is there any reason my chicken should cost more in June than it does in February?? That's just crazy. Seems I'll be bringing more food with me next trip... :(

Tinkerfreak
01-06-2010, 10:46 PM
After our last trip we decided to no longer do the dining plan. It is just too much food for us. We have two DD's 12 and 15 and none of us have big appetites. We definately could have split most of our meals and felt like we wasted more food than we ate. We also felt like we were tied to our adr's because if we canceled one than we had to try to use up the credits at another time. We ended up leaving with 2 remaining TS credits. Our next trip will be oop so we can split meals and won't be so stuffed or waste so much food. Plus the smaller check will also add up to less gratuity.
We will put the money we would have spent on the dining plan aside before we go.

KylesMom
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Because we're A/P holders and we'll purchase the TiW card again when we go in July, I was curious to know what the dining plan would cost us. For late July/early August, it would have been a few hundred dollars more than what we typically spend per trip on dining. As we enjoy our "adult" beverages, that line item is a separate one in our budget. I too was shocked - last year the DDE estimate was much closer than this year. We'll see how the tiered pricing goes over . . . considering our deluxe accommodations are during "value" season, what's up with the tiers during this time?!

As an aside, we schedule one non-signature TS meal per day during our 15-day trips . . . so it's not like we aren't eating well during our vacation! :mickey:

Genie1953
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
After our last trip we decided to no longer do the dining plan. It is just too much food for us. We have two DD's 12 and 15 and none of us have big appetites. We definately could have split most of our meals and felt like we wasted more food than we ate. We also felt like we were tied to our adr's because if we canceled one than we had to try to use up the credits at another time. We ended up leaving with 2 remaining TS credits. Our next trip will be oop so we can split meals and won't be so stuffed or waste so much food. Plus the smaller check will also add up to less gratuity.
We will put the money we would have spent on the dining plan aside before we go.

I am not sure we will do it on any future trips either....but we did decide we wanted to do it for our trip this April. Will definitely be running the numbers when we get back to see how cost effective it was for us.

BigRedDad
01-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I canceled my reservation yesterday and rebooked when I found out what they were charging for the QSDP. Far too expensive. On the extreme end, I would prefer spending a little more rather than prepaying for something that may not get fully used. $32 for 2 QS meals and 2 snacks. :confused:

There are many number crunchers at WDW that can guarantee that the dining plan benefits them and not the guests.

Example: Cosmic Ray's
Chicken Strips: $6.49
Desert: $2.99
Drink: $2.99 (not sure of the cost)

Total: $12.50

($12.50 x 2) + ($4 x 2) = $33

It will cost me one dollar more per day only if I choose to get a desert which my family and I rarely would get. We would also share maybe two meals for the three of us. I would rather pay a little more per day while there than prepay for it.

Dsnygirl
01-07-2010, 01:58 AM
So, I don't know... maybe I'm backing off of my previous post.

I went and checked out the pricing of the basic DDP, which would be our kind of dining. For a time period we'd be interested in, at 2010 pricing, it would cost our family (3 adults, 1 child) $138/day for food.

At first, I about fell over - last time, it would have been $126/day.

But -- then I went & priced our meals... where we typically eat, approximately... to see what our daily cost would be.

We usually eat bkfst in the room, a CS lunch and a TS dinner... or a TS bkfst, "bag" lunch and CS dinner.

I did a bunch of variations for each day... even taking out CS meals some days and "bagging" it to decrease the cost.

But, on average (and Disney must have raised their prices on quite a few dishes, etc) I found myself hard-pressed to come up with a day that we would spend less than $138 out of pocket on a CS meal, TS meal & snacks. Now, granted, we don't NEED snacks, but if I go back and think about our trips, we always do get them, whether they be water on hot days, the various mickey bar or brownie... snacks in Norway (yummmm!!) or other places like Aloha Isle... hard to resist that Dole Whip.

So -- now I don't know. I guess it depends on when we go back and how old my youngest is... she turns 9 in June, and I'm not sure we'll be back before she is 10. So -- once that happens, not sure I'll be willing to shell out $170/day for food. But, while she is still at $12/day vs. $42, it might still be cheaper, which surprises me.

Oh well... seeing as we don't even have a trip planned yet, I'll just enjoy the fun of speculating... and you all can come back and tell us if it was worth it or not!! :thumbsup:

elmjimmlm
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
I think there is a way to trade-in 2 meals for a table service as well if you want to do that. We kept all of our receipts and figured up we saved quite a bit of money overall!
I didn't know this... This might change everything

But tiered pricing on food??? Seriously, is there any reason my chicken should cost more in June than it does in February?? That's just crazy. Seems I'll be bringing more food with me next trip... :(
This is the point that I am making... Why do I have to pay more for my trip in June for food? I have used the DDP for years and really thought it was a good savings for us, until now...Last year the dining was free for just about the entire year...Now would be a good time to bring that back...:blush:

jonahbear2006
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
It works out, for us, that if we get dining plan that the counter service and snacks end up being free. We did ok on the amount of food, other than the buffets are stuffing. I am very angry that they are doing tiered pricing on the dining plan. That sounds like they are making their peak season guests pay, for the free dining promotional, to me. They obviously cant offer free dining all the time, however, if they were working up to that by offering free food all last year, that's sneaky. I am getting more and more fed up with their business decision every year.

mudpuppysmom
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
For us, the dining plan is too much food, restricts us because we have made ADR's for whatever meal (unless it's breakfast) and when you are across the park and then realize, "oh, we have to go check in for lunch/dinner" you have to cross the park or better yet, get in line and wait to be seated to eat (it's just another queue!).

If you go out at home it usually takes about 1-1 1/2 hours to get thru a dinner meal.....it seems at Disney it takes nearly twice that long! When you walk out of the restaurant at Disney you look at your watch and it seems time raced by while you were standing still!

For US, the DDP is really not a good thing, even if it is free -- it's too much food and too much time -- we spend less if we eat breakfast in the room most days, a quick lunch or pbj's or granola bars (in the backpack) and buy a piece of fruit in the park and pack water in the backpack also then sit down somewhere to eat dinner if we want to or grab a QS meal.

You have to decide what type of eaters you are at home and go from there -- why deviate when you are on vacation from how you eat at home (at least by a far margin anyway).

disneyboundagain
01-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I am getting more and more fed up with their business decision every year.

I couldn't agree more. Prices up, quality down. Its the new Disney way! All I can say is that I'm REALLY glad we didn't buy into BLT when it went up for sale. We were as close as signing the final line at the bottom.

WishingStar2006
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Where do I find the information on the tierd pricing :confused:....I didn't know about that and I booked DDP blindly with my MYW package because it always works out for us.

Mousefever
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
None of the Dining Plan options have made any sense to us since the boy turned 10. There's just no way he eats enough to justify even the QS plan. He and I often share counter service meals and table service meals. Until he starts to get into the voracious appetite of a teenage boy, I won't even bother crunching the numbers.

Amy

rubato
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not exactly sure why, but I opted FOR the basic DP this year, less than 1 month after my son turns 10.:confused: We've never gotten it before. Hubby and I always share a CS meal for lunch, we don't eat dessert, we don't need a drink because we drink water. Then, we usually only eat TS every other night. For the first time, I got a package and when the dining plan part came up, I just said sure! I've now been trying to work my ressies to get the most out of this deal, but it's hard. Only dinner character buffets, Le Cellier and any other overly expensive place I can find. Also, no signature, because it doesn't actually make financial sense to use 2 TS credits for these meals. I know for a fact that I won't be getting this plan again. Next time, we'll go back to OOP and enjoy character breakfasts and signature dining. And, I'm trying to talk hubby into V & As next time because it will be our 20th anniversary!!!!

Gator
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
It's decent for us right now, as our kids are under 10 and cheap on the plan. However, I don't know what we'll do when they cross that age. Maybe get them a job picking fruit to pay for their meals.;)

Ian
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I've tracked our food expenses the last couple trips and measured against our cost for the DDP and thus far we've come out ahead.

But for us the food is a big part of why we like to go to WDW. Like Christine, we always eat in the expensive sit-down places at least once a day.

I'll keep measuring its performance and if it ever ends up not panning out we'll re-evaluate, but for now it's definitely the right choice for us. Just having the food pre-paid has a big value for us really.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
We have always had the dining plan since we started going to WDW on a regular basis. We eat a lot! And as another poster said, I like sitting down and ordering whatever I want knowing that it is already paid for-I'm on vacation, I don't need to do math (I do finance for a living-so I really don't want to think about numbers while spending time with my dudes).

I like having everything paid for before we go. I saw that you were going in June, I don't know if the DDP is price tiered like the rooms-I thought it was a flat rate. One thing we did try on our last trip was the QSDP-we really liked it and will use it from now on when we travel as a family. I have to say I have gotten spoiled with free dining in the fall, we used that once too and it rocked.

We like the dining plan, true they took away the gratuity portion, and then the appetizer (or dessert) portion, but it still works well for us. It helps me to make a budget for our vacation. So we are a "Yes" on the DDP whether the traditional CS and TS a day or the QSDP (which you get 2 snacks and a resort mug with).

Remember-have fun!:mickey:

Genie1953
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I like having everything paid for before we go. I saw that you were going in June, I don't know if the DDP is price tiered like the rooms-I thought it was a flat rate. One thing we did try on our last trip was the QSDP-we really liked it and will use it from now on when we travel as a family. I have to say I have gotten spoiled with free dining in the fall, we used that once too and it rocked.

Yep the dining plan is definitely tiered. If you start your vacation during peak season you pay the peak rate for the DP even if part of your vacation falls during regular season....that said....if you start your vacation during regular season you will pay regular rates for the DP even if part of the vacation extends into peak season.

MissTink
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
The DDP has tiered pricing this year.

I've searched but can't find any info about this? Is there somewhere that has the tiers and pricing? Is the QSDP tiered too?

Hammer
01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Tiered pricing seems to be for the basic and deluxe dining plan. Info can be found in here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=159059).

MMFreak
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
We have used the dining plan the last several times we have gone and we find that it is a great savings for us. Typically saving 30% to 40% depending on what my teenagers are in the mood for. We normally go to the same restaurants every year saving one day to try something new each year. So after all of these years we typically know what it is going to cost us. Now I know not everyone knows what they are going to be in the mood for 180 from their vacation. But we all are creatures of habit and tend to eat the same sorts of food. My husband and daughter love beef so I look at the menu and see what they may like at each restaurant and jot down the price likewise for my son and me and I get a ballpark figure for each night and then I compare that to the cost of the dining plan for the week. It is a little bit of prep work but if it turns out that I will save even $50 using the dining plan than that is worth it to me. Not to mention since it is prepaid that is less money out of my pocket while there.

We first decided to try the dining plan because my daughter is a diabetic and we do eat a minimum of three meals a day. We thought it might be a good idea to try it one year to get that $ amount out of the way and see how it worked out. I also am also a working mother who 350 days out of the year cooks dinner from scratch. So we are accustomed to eating well. So we figured if we use the dining plan or not, sitting down for meals is the norm for us.

After comparing receipts from year to year we definitely benefit dollar wise. We do the one counter service and one table service with the snacks. We typically do not use the second snack so at the end of our vacation we go to the candy store and use all of our remaining credits there and bring the delicious candies home to share with others that could not join us.

With all of that said. I do wish that the dining plan would go back to the way it was with an appetizer as well as dessert as now we still need to plan ahead for extra cash for the appetizer, or perhaps they could make it appetizer OR dessert. Often times we are interested in appetizers but really do not want the dessert. My son loves dessert my daughter loves appetizers.

But at the end of the day Abe Lincoln said it best with “You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”

DNS
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
We price this out nearly every trip and it just never adds up to being worth it for us. Not that it's not worth the money for what you get, there just seems to be so much more food than we eat. Either we pay for it through the DP and don't eat it, or we eat too much and are uncomfortable. So we just skip it.

azcavalier
01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Dining is one of the things that our family loves most about WDW as well. Our oldest DD just turned ten and is super excited to go back now that she can order from the adult menu (as we always use the DDP). We have a TS meal every single day we're there...it's a great way to relax and get off your feet after a day of running around.

Now, for the last three or four trips, we've gone during free dining, so of course that's a no-brainer. Saves us between $1200-$1500 to do that. Since we have never gone during a peak time and had to pay for the DDP, I have no idea if it's a better deal or not.

We're actually planning to go again this fall in December. We'll probably make reservations for late September and then wait to see if they announce an extension of the free dining again (like they have done the last two years) into December. If they do, then we'll move our reservations back to early December and still get free dining. Christmas decorations and free dining at WDW! What could be better?

CaptSmee
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
for DH and i it was only worth it when it was free :)

we usually just bring oatmeal packets for breakfast and make pb&j's for lunch. then we'll do a TS or CS for dinner and that definitely is cheaper than the DDP!

Same with us. I don't understand why it's become so popular. You spend $$$ in advance for food that most people would not normally eat so much of.

mom2morgan
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Same with us. I don't understand why it's become so popular. You spend $$$ in advance for food that most people would not normally eat so much of.

We used the calculator on this website and found the DDP is actually quite a significant saving for us. I don't think it even requires "a lot" of food - but if you want nice TS meals, it can be a good value. I think a lot of the TS restaurants cost about $19-25 for an average entree - add in a pop for 2 bucks and a dessert for around 6 - that's pretty close to what the DDP costs for the whole day, and you still get lunch and a snack. My only hesitation is that my youngest daughter east practically nothing. Last time we went she cost $11 a day so that was fine..but I can't see paying $39 for her!!