PDA

View Full Version : 9 month old in the parks??

thatkindofday
01-06-2010, 01:44 PM
My husband and I are planning on going to WDW in September. Our daughter will be almost 9 months old when we go. I am all for taking her with us. My husband thinks she'll be too young to enjoy anything and wants to leave her with his parents. While I know she won't remember anything, I think she'll enjoy it while we're there. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Buttercup
01-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Both my kids went when they were still infants: 7 months and 4 months. You should have SEEN the looks on their faces on the rides! It was priceless... big wide eyes, bouncing around clapping their hands. Hilarious. I'm so glad we caught that on videotape because it's so neat to go back and watch their reactions now that they're older.

Dyanna
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
We took our daughter for her 1st trip at 10 months. The best was her interaction with the characters as she just started to walk 2 weeks prior to the trip. The photos are priceless!

PinKy
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
There is another post on this topic under vacation planning! :mickey:

We brought our oldest son for his first trip when he was 5 months old and our youngest when he was 8 months- and it was actually an easy trip both times and I think they had a good time too! (people watching, the music, etc)

Definitely plan to "wear" the baby as much as possible and to keep both of you cool and comfortable - but the baby should be able to sleep/eat pretty much anywhere - which eases things up on the rest of the family I would think. (if you're going to nurse - the little nursing cover-ups from Target are colorful, "cute", lightweight and you can see your baby while he/she nurses while making sure that you're "covered" up - the year before our son was born we saw a mom nursing her baby in the que for a ride with one of these! LOL! (I'm sorry I can't remember the brand - its NOT the Eddie Bauer giant blanket-like things though) The baby care centers in all of the parks are a godsend and will make things so much easier for you! Make use of them! They have quiet, cool areas to "refresh" you and your family and they have darkened quiet rooms to calm down overstimulated babies - nursing rooms too! Access to microwaves, sinks, faucets etc for washing/feeding necessities and of course changing areas that are very comfortable. I believe all of them (except maybe the one at Hollywood Studios? I can't remember) have play areas and tvs with movies playing for older children - or for you. LOL! They also sell emergency items just in case. (they're expensive though!) Nearly all the bathrooms also sell "diaper packs" in the vending machines too - just in case.

You'll be surprised at the number of rides/attractions you should be able to go on WITH the baby too! Plan to have a wonderful trip! Rest and cool off as necessary and enjoy yourself! Things the little one might enjoy would be the lovely music all over the parks - the bright lights from some of the parades or shows, people watching, some of the boat rides... *and our boys loved the characters - I know that some children are afraid of them - but our boys thought they were giant stuffed animals and wanted to cling on to them! Disney really does make it as easy as possible to travel with kids of all ages. We found having a refrigerator in our room was helpful, but not necessary - not sure what your arrangements are but thought I would mention it. We also were able to ask for a "bowl" of hot water to warm baby bottles when necessary at the restaurants and we never encountered anyone that couldn't accommodate this.

I'm sorry - I wrote a book. I have two little ones 3 years and 1 year - so I'm in full baby-mode now.

thatkindofday
01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I'm hoping the replies will help to ease my husband's mind about bringing her. By the way, I can't believe I hadn't thought of 'wearing' her on the rides. That does seem like it'd make it easier than holding her in our arms or on our laps.

ANG
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
We went last September when our son was 5 months old. Although he didn't care for any of the rides, he enjoyed the characters, music, fireworks, etc.

Just be prepared for how hot it will be.

BigThunderFan
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
If it helps at all, my DW and I still argue over our kids being too young to remember it and they are DD3 & DS7.

They may not be able to remember it, but YOU will. If you are going, there is no reason to leave your baby behind. You won't have to pay for anything extra, and you will have great memories to show her for next time!

Gator
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I took my DD when she was 7 months to DL. It wasn't entirely smooth, but it was great memories. I can't imagine leaving my kids for days on end while I'm at WDW. That's just cruel.

Joannelet
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
We had to bring my 7 month old son there in July for my BIL wedding at the Grand Floridian.
My hubby and I went back and forth a couple of times whether or not to bring my son since he was so little and we only had one free day to do a park. But it tore at my heartstrings just thinking of being in Disney without my little one and experiencing even if it was just one park through his eyes.
We brought him (we just couldn't leave him) and seriously it was the most enjoyable trip in my entire life!! And I've been there over 100 times!
We went to MK with him of course and he just LOVED Mickey and Minnie. His face lit up whenever he saw them!! He had even the cast members going nuts taking pics of him with them. :)
And yes your child will not remember this but the pictures and your memories will last a lifetime!!!!
We took him again beginning of Dec for his 1st birthday and he is still in love with it. He was able to enjoy more of the rides and stuff this time around but still its the best just experiencing it with them :)
I cannot imagine Disney World without my son now that I have him :)

DisneyWhirled
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Our daughters 1st trip was at 9 mos and we had a wonderful time! AND that was after a 28 hour drive :)

I have great pics of her SLEEPING during most of the parades and others of her smiling from ear to ear. It was pretty easy to bring her as she had a comfy stroller to nap in. She enjoyed the rides and the only characters she wasn't too fond of was Mickey and Minnie :funny: She was an easy baby, so that helped a lot.

We always travel with our children. Now that the kids are older (DS 10, DD7) they would NEVER let me go without them!! Guess we started something in 2003!!

jonahbear2006
01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree. We took our 7mth old son and it was sooo wonderful to see his reaction. He loved the rides and wanted to sit on his own seat bc he could feel the rides better than on my lap. After I sat him down once he never wanted on my lap again. The baby wont remember of course, but you will, and remember that whenever you stimulate a small child like that they are forming synapses in their brain, which is a very great thing for your baby. The learning involved may be more there than you could ever offer at home. We never leave a baby home. As a matter of fact, we are due July 5th and plan on being in wdw Aug. 13th, with the new baby.

LibertyTreeGal
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
it completely depends upon the individual child. Only you know their temperment -- if they still do not react to new situations well, then your husband is correct. However, if she is your normal, run of the mill variety pre-toddler then she will probably enjoy it (as long as she still gets her naps, as I have seen infants dragged around to the point of frantic exhaustion). Make sure she gets her "stretch time" too -- that's what I call getting move around, crawling, pulling up to standing, etc. It can be very taxing for a child to be stroller bound all day.

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Bringing an infant to WDW is certainly do-able--just plan on going at a slower pace and taking some midday breaks (and making use of the Baby Swap!)

That said, I'm wondering if you husband was thinking it might be a nice getaway for the two of you after the stress of baby's early months. Just a thought. :mickey:

dumbo_buddy
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM
just plan on going at a slower pace and taking some midday breaks

this is going to be the hardest part for me i think. i'm used to doing disney like a drill sergeant! no break! but in less than three weeks we'll be there with a 7 month old and i better relax!

kakn7294
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
We took our DD when she was 13 mo and we've been with my sister's family when her kids were 5 and 6 mos. They all loved it and while they don't remember it, they love to look at the pictures and ask questions about the trips.

We did Disney at the same pace as always with the babies. We rode the things they could enjoy while they were awake and rode the things where we had to baby swap while they were napping in their strollers. We never took a break and it worked out fine for us. Each child is different and mine were both very flexible with their schedules.