PDA

View Full Version : "Lost" Island?

LibertyTreeGal
01-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Well, this is just wierd...

Found: 'Lost' Petition for Disney Attraction
By Claudine Zap, Y! Buzz | Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 5:38 PM

Could "Lost" become a Disneyland ride?
ABC/Bob D'AmicoSpoiler alert: "Lost" may find a happy ending after all, at Disneyland.

That is, if some hardcore fans of both the happiest place on earth and the weirdest show on TV have anything to say about it. A petition for a "Lost" island attraction to replace Tom Sawyer Island has gone viral on the Web. It is making the rounds among those feeling a sense of, well, loss, at the idea that their beloved TV show will go dark as of May 2010.

So without word of a "Lost" movie in the works and looking at a grim future minus the completely engrossing world of plane crash victims stranded on a tropical island, fans' last hope is the Big Mouse. After all, Disney is the parent company to the ABC network, which airs the series. So, why not take over the sadly outdated mash-up of Tom Sawyer and Pirates of the Caribbean and imagineer something rabid obsessive lovers of "Lost" would actually appreciate?

The wishful thinkers behind the petition are making it easy for Disney: As the OC Weekly points out, the organizers even suggest components to the ride, including ruins, a smoke monster, Jacob's cabin, and a submarine ride. Clearly, a lot of thought has gone into this plea to let "Lost" live.

It's not a completely crazy idea, either. No offense to the American icon who ruled the Mississippi on a raft, but that's not even retro cool. That's just plain out of date. More puzzling, the Tom Sawyer Island is now shared with Pirate's Lair and, these Disney 2.0 types argue, the whole thing could use a refresh. Maybe Disney would be open to a social-media inspired attraction attached to one of their amazingly successful TV shows.

cvzdesign
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I could see them doing something like this on Discovery island at WDW, but the logistics of putting a major attraction type thing on an island you have to take a raft to, is a nightmare.

LibertyTreeGal
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Not to mention that Lost (and I am a big fan) is full of murder, lies, and downright scary stuff. Not really something Walt would do. DL is a park for kids and adults to play together, and this probably would not be a good place for that.

Buttercup
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
True, Lost is full of a lot of 'dark' themes. But then again, so is Pirates - pillaging, rifling, looting, burning down a city... there was a time when the pirates were chasing the women so they could 'hoist their colours' on them! That's not very Disney-like either.
I could see it, but they'd have to get a better way across than a raft. I'm thinking a bridge would have to be built.

LibertyTreeGal
01-07-2010, 07:24 AM
True, Lost is full of a lot of 'dark' themes. But then again, so is Pirates - pillaging, rifling, looting, burning down a city... there was a time when the pirates were chasing the women so they could 'hoist their colours' on them! That's not very Disney-like either.
I could see it, but they'd have to get a better way across than a raft. I'm thinking a bridge would have to be built.

Pirates, however, is done in a silly way -- you can't say the same for Lost, nothing silly about it. Even in the POTC movies there is little or no blood, and they are more campy than anything depicting real pirate life. Truly, the worst and most disgusting thing about POTC is the lack of dental hygeine. And "hoisting your colors" means to identify something as your own, like putting your own flag (colors) on the ship you just captured.

Melanie
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I love and will miss Lost as much as the next guy, but this idea is just....silly. Yuck.

MegaDisney
01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I love and will miss Lost as much as the next guy, but this idea is just....silly. Yuck.

What she said!

Disney4us2
01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I never saw that show (or had the interest in it). I guess I would be LOST on that island.:mickey:

Mfarquar
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I heard this rumor too, and was excited to see it on Intercot!

In theory this sounds great. I LOVE Lost, and its fans are quite dedicated. In fact, I remember quite a bit of Lost merchandise being sold in the ToT gift shop as well as the one after the Backlot Tour/AFI exhibit. Some of the crossover books were flying off the shelves and we couldn't locate one as a souvenir for a friend before the end of our trip!

That said, I do not think the development of such an attraction would be practical (particularly for the MK). It would be a major renovation/build for a show that is soon coming to a planned close (as other posters have mentioned). I can't really see Lost fitting into the theming of the are either... Not to mention, it would be changing an old school attraction which probably would not go over well.

If there was an appropriate spot in the Studios for this, I could see this idea somewhat coming to fruition. However, I think it would be on a much smaller scale. Maybe a set plus some sort of interactive hatch maze or something of the like. There's no jungle-like area there, so that's out. But, I can't see this something Disney would sink a lot of money into because it just wouldn't make good financial sense. TV shows are tough - I think that's why were rarely see a TV show attraction at theme parks other than the Simpsons for obvious longevity reasons.

It would have been far more prudent for Disney to create some short of attraction or experience during the height of Lost mania - the show has been on for about 5 years with significant breaks in-between season.

But, it is interesting to note that I read that the show's producers have signed the petition! It's fun to think about, but I'd have to venture this will be a "no go"...

It's fun to think about, though!

tjewelcat
01-09-2010, 07:34 AM
In theory this sounds great. I LOVE Lost, and its fans are quite dedicated. In fact, I remember quite a bit of Lost merchandise being sold in the ToT gift shop as well as the one after the Backlot Tour/AFI exhibit. Some of the crossover books were flying off the shelves and we couldn't locate one as a souvenir for a friend before the end of our trip!

I am a huge Lost fan and was excited about this rumor when I heard it. Is it true they are selling Lost merchandise at WDW? If so where exactly??? What is ToT? First trip in 28 days!!!

Jenemmy
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I am a huge Lost fan and was excited about this rumor when I heard it. Is it true they are selling Lost merchandise at WDW? If so where exactly??? What is ToT? First trip in 28 days!!!

ToT = Tower of Terror -- they sell LOST merchandise in the gift shop you walk through after the ride.

I am a LOST junkie, for sure. At first, the idea was pretty exciting to me, and I still think it has merit. But, like another poster (or two) said -- the timing is waaaaay off! Also, if the series ends in a really unsatisfying way (hope not!!) all of us fans would be too ticked to go! LOL

LibertyTreeGal
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
To me, it also comes down to this -- Lost has a niche audience. It is not necessarily an enduring show on reruns forever (like MASH). In five years it may be long forgotten -- or it could be like Star Trek (but I doubt it). More likely it will be a cult fave like Twin Peaks. If so then in a few years people look at Lost Island and go, "Huh?"

Tom Sawyer -- everyone knows who he is (or should in the US, as it is a defining piece of American literature), and Pirates, well if you go to Disneyland and know nothing about Pirates then you have probably been living in solitary confinement ;)

Disney wants an attraction with wide spread appeal. That's where the money is. No way this would take off without that.

tjewelcat
01-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks, I am still getting the lingo down on the message boards.
TO ALL LOST FANS.... (edited per TOS)
This is hilarious if you are a fan of the show. If not it may not be so funny.

Magic Smiles
01-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I know after the first year of LOST, that there was lots of merchandise for sale in the Tower of Terror gift shop. Of course at that time we didn't buy any. We tried to get the numbers Tshirt a year later......but there was none to be found.

Mfarquar
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes, the ToT gift shop is your best bet. In September, I seem to remember seeing a Lost trivia game and maybe a Tshirt.

You may also want to check the AFI gift shop (the end of the Backlot Tour at MGM, excuse me, Hollywood Studios). These items seem to come and go and it's a gamble, but worth checking.

Also for a chuckle, you may want to check out the ABC Commissary quick service also at HS. They have a value meal named after "Lost". I think it's a seafood dish. :D

LibertyTreeGal
01-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Also for a chuckle, you may want to check out the ABC Commissary quick service also at HS. They have a value meal named after "Lost". I think it's a seafood dish. :D

Hmmmm... they should name a fried chicken dish after the place Hurley used to work at. Or maybe since it burned down it should be a blackened chicken dish.

I KNOW, maybe they should combine the old and the new and just rename the island...

James Sawyer Island

ROFL, just kidding