PDA

View Full Version : New Rule?

CU Tiger
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
We visited the Hall of Presidents two days ago the person behind us was on her cell phone during the entire show:mad:. The CMs mention that there is no flash photography, video taping, etc.., but I have never herd no cell phones. Should this be a new requirement inside a show or certain rides? Would the CMs enforce this if they did?
Sometimes I am on call while I am at DW and need to take phone calls now and again, but I never take a call during a ride nor a show. I do my talking away from anyone so I do not disturb anyone.
Am I off base about this?:confused: :mickey:

seanyred
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes it should be a rule. In November, my DW and I were in line for the Haunted Mansion and a lady continued to talk on her phone from the main entrance and during the begining of the stretch room.

If feel bad for anyone that was inside the Mansion for the first time. There experience was lessened because of someone not caring about others around them.

TheRustyScupper
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes it should be a rule.

1) AGREED !!!
2) We were in Pirates one day.
3) They guy in front of us took a several minute call.
4) Really ruined the ride.
5) The next call he got, my reflex bumped his arm.
6) His phone flopped into the water.
7) He was upset, but what a shame.
8) It was just accident.

vicster
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
It seems everyone is sooooooooooooo important they can't miss a phone call. How did we ever survive without cell phones? They should definitely be banned on rides and attractions.

Aurora
01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
1) AGREED !!!
8) It was just accident.

REALLY????

:jaw: :yay: :rocker: :bolt:

Imagineer1981
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
agreed, cell phones should definitely be turned to vibrate at least!

BigRedDad
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, it all depends on the circumstances. I will date myself on this one, but I went to a prom with a family friend in the late 80s. There was a guy my age there with 4 pagers and the Miami Vice size cell phone. I thought it rude to his school that the pagers were going off about every 5 minutes and he was constantly on the phone. I asked my date if the guy was full of himself. Turns out he was the brother of one of the the abducted girls at UF. The pagers and phone were one of the main hotlines for tips.

I felt truly sorry for the way I felt towards him when I thought all the bad stuff to myself. I am so happy I bit my tongue and never opened my mouth. I think a flock of crows would have flown in and my feet would have gone to my stomach.

This was probably not the same case for these circumstances. :mickey:

TheVBs
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree, that would be a great rule. :thumbsup: It's a rule at the movies, why not WDW rides and attractions?

dumbo_buddy
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
a few years ago DH and i were on ToT and this guy in front of us was on his cell phone
the
entire
ride
even
during
the
drop!!!!!!!

i called him a bad word afterwards and thanked him for ruining my ride.

shame on me for letting it bother me, really.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree! I would love to hear a "please turn off all cellphones and pagers" line added to the CM speech at the start of shows and rides.

LVT
01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Good thread, this could work. It doesn't always work for flash photography, but it's worth the effort. Is it at all possible to include table service
restaurants, excepting emergencies of course?

Tinkerfreak
01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
When we did COP in Nov. in the MK they asked everyone to turn off their cell phones. DH commented on it being a side effect of progress. There was a kid in the row in front of me who kept texting and it was very distracting. I was about to tap him on the shoulder and ask him to either move or turn it off but his mom got to him first and took the phone away. :D

Buttercup
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
1) AGREED !!!
8) It was just accident.
Seriously? Wow, I don't know if you needed to bump him so his phone fell in the water. But it's definitely a good idea to add that line to the spiel at the beginning of shows & rides.

MushuGrl
01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
My new rule is to only ride with Rusty.

DisneyorBust
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm in total agreement with the previous posts. It's not that difficult to place your cell on 'silent' and call the person back after enjoying the attraction, or to stop your conversation before entering any attraction.
On a side note, I do wish that in addition to banning cell use during attractions, I would like to see WDW management enforce their own rules! They appear to want to appease those who break the rules to the detriment of us who follow them.

princessimagineer
01-05-2010, 06:55 PM
kudos to the person who knocked the cell phone into the water. really, that made my day.

when someone says no flash photography and all the other jargon at the beginning of every attraction, i feel like cell phone use is an unwritten rule. the purpose is so you don't disturb the fellow guests and ruin their experience, which is why its understood NOT to use your phone (unless under emergency circumstances, obviously). when people opt to use their phone its like oh great, you found the lupole (sp?), congratulations, i hope you feel as special as i feel anger towards you.

Laughin' place
01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree with the prior poster, who mentioned this being a rule at the movies. If this is a commonly understood expectation at something as every day as a movie, it should certainly apply on a Disney attraction. Not sure if WDW would do much 'enforcement', but if such an announcement even cut the rudeness by half, it would be well worth it. Even if it only registered with one rider/guest per show/ride, it would be valueable for one person to be taught to consider others.
I understand that some of us have to be "wired" at all times. Unfortunately, my profession (divorce attorney) means my phone is with me 24/7. There is nothing so important, however (that can be handled over the phone) , that it can't wait til the end of the ride/show/performance. C'mon Disney, add this admonition to the spiels

QTPie68
01-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with the posters..turn those phones on vibrate and return calls after the rides please :mad:. I do not even like it when people talk very loudly on their phones while in line, it really kills the magic sometimes.

I remember one time when my DH and I were at COP when the scene was changing....someone's phone went off...I said to my DH "now, who would leave their phone on?" at that time DH turned beet red, turn HIS phone on vibrate and apologized to everyone...they all laughed, except me :-o

KatrinaJ91
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I think this definitely should be added to the CM announcements at the beginning of every ride/show...although some people do not pay attention! When we were on Pirates this past summer, a guy took tons of flash photogs throughout the ride and it was SOOO distracting! Someone mentioned it for table service dining as well, but I don't know if I agree with this....I think this is only rude to the people sitting at your own table! What do I care what people at another table are doing? That would be a much better time to check on messages than during a ride or show.

Genie1953
01-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I will most likely just leave my phone on vibrate....I figure if someone really needs me for something they will leave me a voice mail. I will feel the vibration of the phone when someone calls that will alert me about the call but unless it is really important I will be returning calls after I am away from the rides while I am taking a rest.

Lakin
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
i feel like cell phone use is an unwritten rule. the purpose is so you don't disturb the fellow guests and ruin their experience, which is why its understood NOT to use your phone (unless under emergency circumstances, obviously).

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, people don't have enough common sense to figure that out themselves.

Stu29573
01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
My wife and I don't take our phones to the parks. I don't really want to be "connected" to the ourside world when I'm there. It's no big deal for me to check my messages at the end of the day back at the room. Of course, our jobs don't require constant contact, so that's nice. :thumbsup:

grumpyguy
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
i don't bring my mobile communication device with me to the parks.to me it's part of escaping the "real world".that's why i have voice mail.

BigThunderFan
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
We're the same way, cell phones stay in the room while at the parks. We bring walkie talkies to communicate for the times we split up like if I go to get fastpasses and she heads off to take the kids to the restroom.

If someone did that during the Hall of Presidents I might feel the urge to say something out loud to them which would embarass my wife completely, but make me feel better. :thedolls:

Giggy
01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
1) AGREED !!!
8) It was just accident.

If a cast member had seen they should have given you a medal.... or at least a fastpass! :secret:

garymacd
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
It seems everyone is sooooooooooooo important they can't miss a phone call. How did we ever survive without cell phones? They should definitely be banned on rides and attractions.

I just love the people who show up at the parks with Borg implants in their ears. I realise we go to the parks on vacation, and not everyone there is, but...

Rusty Scupper: I love your style!

LibertyTreeGal
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes yes!

Never had it happen at Disney but the guy next to me at the T2 show at Universal Orlando was talking the whole time. Asked him to please stop and he told me where to go.....

DH was sitting next to a woman in Avatar who kept PLAYING GAMES ON HER PHONE!!!! Those screens are bright in the dark. It's like "WOMAN, play your games outside or get off the phone!"

Good for you Rusty! I hope there are a ton of phones at the bottom of the ride.

Gator
01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Unless I'm separated from my party or I'm meeting with someone, I don't have my cell phone on at all. And then if I do get a call, it's to quickly say we're meeting at a certain spot. I would hate to be getting calls on my entire vacation.

As far as bumping phones in the water, I'm all for it. As a Safari Bus Driver once said, "If you drop your camera or cell phone, we will stop the bus....and wave goodbye.":)

BigThunderFan
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Never had it happen at Disney but the guy next to me at the T2 show at Universal Orlando was talking the whole time. Asked him to please stop and he told me where to go.....

Oooh! I only hope someone has the gall to try to say that to my wife if she were to ask him to get off the phone. One side of me would have just yanked the phone away from him and chucked it toward the exit, but the other side would have stood up and made a VERY BIG scene and involved multiple other guests. Can you say mob justice? I'm sure you weren't the only one to be bothered by this guy, all it takes is one person to say something and several more will usually jump right in with you. :thedolls:

Joannelet
01-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes it should definitely be a rule!

TinkerBell-Bell
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Last time I went to WDW I didn't own a mobile phone and next year it'll be staying at the apartment, although admittedly I have the excuse that using my phone in America will cost a fortune. But surely CM wouldn't want people to use their phones on rides, not only because the person is ruining the magic, but if they somehow lost their phone to the ride, the CM would then have a very angry guest to deal with, who out of their own idiocy decided to take a call in a ride.

A simple comment at the start is all that's needed, and it allows the guest who would otherwise be phoning smeone to enjoy themselves as well.

mom2morgan
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Well, it all depends on the circumstances. I will date myself on this one, but I went to a prom with a family friend in the late 80s. There was a guy my age there with 4 pagers and the Miami Vice size cell phone. I thought it rude to his school that the pagers were going off about every 5 minutes and he was constantly on the phone. I asked my date if the guy was full of himself. Turns out he was the brother of one of the the abducted girls at UF. The pagers and phone were one of the main hotlines for tips.

I felt truly sorry for the way I felt towards him when I thought all the bad stuff to myself. I am so happy I bit my tongue and never opened my mouth. I think a flock of crows would have flown in and my feet would have gone to my stomach.

This was probably not the same case for these circumstances. :mickey:

I sympathize with this. I heard a story about a woman being on her cell phone at the ballet, and several audience members were very angry until they realized she was getting a call because some sort of organ transplant had suddenly come through for her! That said, I kind of doubt anyone in the middle of an emergency is at WDW, and it is a safe bet that the VAST majority of people walking around glued to their cell phones are just rude and clueless. Really, I feel sorry for them because they must lose all the enjoyment of being there by being distracted and not "in the moment".

Mousefever
01-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree that cell phone usage during attractions should be limited.

I find myself chagrined at how willing people are to throw civility out the window when confronted with an annoyance.

Amy

Darbylew
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I agree that there should not allow cell phones
to be on during the shows or rides. I think they
do say to turn off cell phones in some shows but
I maybe wrong. I think the cast members should
say something to the person. I also think that
the cast members should say something to the
people that walk through the parks smoking.

AHOTE
01-07-2010, 11:52 PM
8) It was just accident.

Don't cha just hate when that happens :D

LibertyTreeGal
01-08-2010, 06:14 AM
twenty years ago this wasn't even a problem, because we didn't even have cell phones. We survived without them quite nicely, therefore --

CELL PHONES ARE NOT A NECESSITY.

THERE IS NO REASON THAT SOMEONE WOULD EVER HAVE TO HAVE ONE ON DURING A RIDE.

After all, if the situation is THAT serious, why would you be on a ride in the first place? And if you did get an important notification while on a ride, what could you even do about it anyway? What would we have done twenty years ago? Generally we would plan better!

Sometimes we forget the difference between luxury and necessity.

MushuGrl
01-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I do take my cellphone with me, as I work for a small company and occasionally they do need to call me when I'm gone for computer advice. Also, with us at Disney, my mom is at home alone and I always keep it with me "just in case", mainly for my peace of mind, and so that I can call in and touch base during breaks in the day.

HOWEVER...I keep it on vibrate or silence, and since it's work that usually calls, I let them and anyone else know that if I'm on a ride or at an attraction, I WILL NOT ANSWER IT. They can leave me a voice mail and I will get back to them when I'm done and safely parked on a bench somewhere.

BigThunderFan
01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I do take my cellphone with me, as I work for a small company and occasionally they do need to call me when I'm gone for computer advice. Also, with us at Disney, my mom is at home alone and I always keep it with me "just in case", mainly for my peace of mind, and so that I can call in and touch base during breaks in the day.

HOWEVER...I keep it on vibrate or silence, and since it's work that usually calls, I let them and anyone else know that if I'm on a ride or at an attraction, I WILL NOT ANSWER IT. They can leave me a voice mail and I will get back to them when I'm done and safely parked on a bench somewhere.

:thumbsup: Now if we could get EVERYONE to be as considerate

rubato
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Congratulations Rustyscupper for doing what I've always wanted to do! My husband always says something to these people, but it rarely works. They usually just give him a dirty look because he is afterall interrupting their important phone call!;)

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
In most cases, unless you are waiting on a Kidney or something, why are you using your cell phone on vacation?

The only time we use our cell phones on vacation is if we split up-when going on rides I always make sure it's on vibrate (if I even have it with me that is).

Yes, unfortunately some people believe they are so important that they must be reached by cell at all times. I have also found that these people usually are very unhappy with themselves, homelife, etc-and that the attention they receive from cell phone calls makes them feel better-sad really.

We have asked, on quite a few occasions for those disrupting dinner, attractions, etc to please either turn it off or take their conversation somewhere else-although this is not always possible on an attraction. Cell phone usage should be banned whenever you are supposed to be paying attention to something else-like driving, spending time with your family, riding the HM.

Unfortuantely the world is filled with bone-heads and the rest of us must deal with it-or inadvertently bump them so they drop their devices in the water of POTC.

There should be a rule-I agree.

Remember-have fun-ignore others that are unable to!:mickey:

Seasonscraps
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Sure, this can be added to other rules at diseny - move to the end of the row in the theater, no smoking in non-designated areas, no flash photography on the rides, no line jumping, etc. It doesn't mean guests will pay any attention to them or that CMs will enforce them.

As for why people use phones on vacation - who cares? I don't understand judging or jumping to conclusions about why people may be on the phone while they are in Disney. People have different reasons and as long as they are not using them at inappropriate times, I am not going to let it affect my vacation.

pdrlkr
01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
YES! :thedolls:

Puppy Mom
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
No wonder so many people have heart attacks and strokes. They can't relax enough to loosen their grip on the phone while on vacation.

In my opinion there are VERY few times when anyone from work should be calling a person on their vacation. I guess it is a consequence of all the downsizing. There is noone left to cover for anyone. I used to tell my staff that if they called me on vacation someone better be dead..... or they would be when I got back. But then I had well trained my staff to handle most things.

I think it is sad that people think they have to be available to people 24/7. Life in general would be better if we all just slowed down a bit.

Hammer
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
twenty years ago this wasn't even a problem, because we didn't even have cell phones. We survived without them quite nicely, therefore --

CELL PHONES ARE NOT A NECESSITY.

THERE IS NO REASON THAT SOMEONE WOULD EVER HAVE TO HAVE ONE ON DURING A RIDE.

And if you did get an important notification while on a ride, what could you even do about it anyway? What would we have done twenty years ago?

Sometimes we forget the difference between luxury and necessity.

What did people do 20 years ago? They did not get to vacation with their families and had to stay behind while their family would go away.

In most cases, unless you are waiting on a Kidney or something, why are you using your cell phone on vacation?

There are many people who have jobs that require them to be available to answer questions on projects. If they don't answer the questions or others who are in the office find the answers, they may be putting themselves in jeopardy with their job.

As for why people use phones on vacation - who cares? I don't understand judging or jumping to conclusions about why people may be on the phone while they are in Disney. People have different reasons and as long as they are not using them at inappropriate times, I am not going to let it affect my vacation.

I agree with you 100%

I agree that cell phone usage during attractions should be limited.

I find myself chagrined at how willing people are to throw civility out the window when confronted with an annoyance.

Amy

I'm with you Amy. I'm fortunate that my current employer does not require me to carry a work phone on vacation, but my sister's does. Before anyone says anything, she keeps the phone on vibrate and does not answer it/check email while on a ride. She does, however, returns calls and read emails while sitting on a bench in one of the parks. Should I never be able to vacation with my sister?

rubato
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Christine, I don't think anyone here, at least not me, would be annoyed with your sister for sitting on a bench conducting business. She's not doing it on a ride, in a show or at a restaurant. I am being judgmental, I guess, for not wanting to hear someone's conversation while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation and watch a show. But, there's always the old adage, that, your freedom ends where my nose begins. And, as long as it interferes with me, yes, I have the right to be annoyed by it! If you are calling your best friend to tell them about the great day you are having at AK while I'm trying to enjoy my show, it is my right to ask you to stop. But, it would be the same if you were talking loudly to your best friend sitting next to you. (This is the understood you, not you specifically.) :)

Hammer
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Look, I understand people not liking cell phones, and some people are rude. Due to a change at my sister's job, she had to deal with a new client who had a meeting right after our trip in late September/early October, so she had more calls than normal this year. When we were there for a night right before Christmas, we called our parents while at the YC bus stop to talk about the meal we had just had. To many this would seem like a frivolous conversation, but our parents had to back out of the trip as my Mom had just gotten out of the hospital and she wanted to build up strength for Christmas Eve, but still want us to still go to WDW (we are DVC). We still wanted to share the meal with them as if they were there. I just want people to understand you do not always know all of the circumstances of why people are making/taking calls.

LibertyTreeGal
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Christine, I am not going to post your response to my blurb you quoted because it will be out of context and confusing -- but you took me out of context with the situation. My point was that nothing is so incredibly important that it cannot wait until you are off the ride, as per my previous post in this conversation.

And no one cares if you talk on the phone at the bus stop, that has no bearing on the current discussion at all. This is purely about people who interrupt other people's ride enjoyment by gabbing on the phone. This was not directed at you. And anyone who is working at a place that cannot wait a few minutes for someone to get off a ride without risking their job, well I truly pity them (even though my husband has been out of work for a year i pity them).

Seasonscraps
01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Look, I understand people not liking cell phones, and some people are rude. Due to a change at my sister's job, she had to deal with a new client who had a meeting right after our trip in late September/early October, so she had more calls than normal this year. When we were there for a night right before Christmas, we called our parents while at the YC bus stop to talk about the meal we had just had. To many this would seem like a frivolous conversation, but our parents had to back out of the trip as my Mom had just gotten out of the hospital and she wanted to build up strength for Christmas Eve, but still want us to still go to WDW (we are DVC). We still wanted to share the meal with them as if they were there. I just want people to understand you do not always know all of the circumstances of why people are making/taking calls.

I am sorry you feel the need to explain yourself. I hope your mother is feeling better now.

It doesn't matter that people got by without cell phones 20 years ago. They are here now and people need to accept it. There was no Animal Kingdom 20 years ago either.

Yes, there are people that need to exercise courtesy when using them but when you conisder the number of people that have cell phones compared to the number of people using cell phones at inappropriate moments, it seems most people are considerate.

Stu29573
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
The problem is not in the use of the phone, but rather the time, place, and volume. It doesn't take much effort to find an out of the way spot to conduct business, and people will not be upset with the cellophile (including the poor guy on the other end of the phone who is trying to hear what they are saying) Just because you have to use your phone on vacation doesn't mean the whole world wants to know about it...

bruin1344
01-10-2010, 11:26 AM
What did people do 20 years ago? They did not get to vacation with their families and had to stay behind while their family would go away.

There are many people who have jobs that require them to be available to answer questions on projects. If they don't answer the questions or others who are in the office find the answers, they may be putting themselves in jeopardy with their job.

I agree with you 100%

I'm with you Amy. I'm fortunate that my current employer does not require me to carry a work phone on vacation, but my sister's does. Before anyone says anything, she keeps the phone on vibrate and does not answer it/check email while on a ride. She does, however, returns calls and read emails while sitting on a bench in one of the parks. Should I never be able to vacation with my sister?

I agree with all of your responses. I know business owners and upper management people who are now able to take vacations with their families thanks to cell phones. Luckily for me I can turn my cell phone off at the parks and enjoy the disney experience. So far Ive been lucky to rarely seen any person use a cell phone during the rides or shows. I assumed it was always a rule anyways and plus people cant hear each other on the phone since the sounds from the attractions are loud.

Ksmith75
01-10-2010, 05:06 PM
We never take our phones into the parks..it is nice not to be bothered.....people seem to love to text you all day long to see how your vacation is....so my DH and I tell everyone, that unless it is an emergency we will NOT return your text or call. Our families know that we typically are back in our room by 2-3p for a break and then there till about dinner..then out for the night....so we can still check for messages....

the amount of teens and early twenty-something texting while walking annoy me.....especially when they walk into you....hey I am in my ealy 30s and do more than my fair share of texting... but not while walking in a crowded public area...

lettripp
02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
People who talk on their phones on rides should try talking to a CM. One friend of mine who worked Soarnin' had great stories of fallen iPhones that shattered to an unrecognizable degree. :haha::(

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Hello it's called a vacation for a reason. If your that important maybe you shouldent haven taken a vacation. Not to mention I really don't want to hear your conversation. I know that life happens, but common courtsey is all I ask. Just my:twocents:

mouselover93
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
good for you rusty:thumbsup:
me being 17 i generally dont talk on a phone but text. unlike other people though i can wait from getting in line to leaving the ride to keep my phone in my pocket or bag and i have it on silent. i hate it when i cant hear a rides pre-show ( no matter how many times i've seen it ). like least year i was in the pre-show room on test track and we all know how big that is. and this guy behind me is yapping away laughing and screaming in my ear. i wanted to turn around take the phone throw and say " that wouldnt have happened if you turned it off or got off "

javamama
02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
1) AGREED !!!
8) It was just accident.

Your my idol:thumbsup:

HoosierDisneyFan
02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Similar situation but ... I was at the Beauty and the Beast show a couple of years ago. This family sat in front of us (I guess they did not speak English). The continued to talk during the entire show :blah: (what language I do not know). I kept thinking...just becuase you cannot understand the words of the preformance, please don't ruin the experience for everyone around you.

But of course I did not say anything...:mad:

CU Tiger
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Most of the posts that support of using cell phones in the parks said it is for business, important calls, etc. This is understandable, but each time I was disturbed on a ride or in a show, the person on the phone was not talking business nor handling something important. :mad: They were basic phone calls with friends that could have waited and taken place on one of the park's benches.
All I ask is to use some common sense and think of others once in a while instead of just yourself!:mickey:

MegaDisney
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
It shouldn't have to be a rule, it is common sense/COURTESY, which is obviously laking in some.