PDA

View Full Version : Decided on October for this years trip! PLEASE HELP!

Emsparents
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Well we finally came to a concensus in our household and we have determined to give October a try for this years trip. 2 reasons: 1. after hearing all the stories of increased crowds for Nov/Dec it seems as though everyone has caught on to the secret of that time of year. 2. We have never been at this time of year and are curious to see it at Hallowen. The only after party we have not done is MNSSHP so that is a factor as well.

So come on Intercot crew, give me the good, bad, and ugly about this time of year! We have been in Nov, Dec, Jan, and Aug on our latests trips.

We want to know all the info, what you like and dislike. We are planning on the week before Columbus day weekend.

Thanks in Advance to all your help!!!!

Genie1953
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
We were there in 2005 during the first week in October and loved it. Busy but not too busy even though there were several promotions going on at that time...free dining (which we used), room discount, etc. We had actually considered going during that time again this year but wanted to be at the World on the actual date of our 30th wedding anniversary which falls in April.

yjgirl32
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
We too are going around this time. It will be my Dh's birthday on Columbus day. We will be in the world on the 2nd staying till the 12th. Hope you have a great time.

Giggy
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Our most recent trip (2004) was from October 21st until November 5th.

[Slightly off topic, but I like telling this story]
Coincidently my 15th birthday was October 20th so we (me, brother, sister) spent the first half at school while my parents got everything ready. After that we came home, did the standard last minute checks and drove down to London Gatwick Airport - about 185 miles 3 hours. Previously we'd gone from Manchester which is 70-80 miles and an hour and a half, however we couldn't get a booking from Manchester that time. With Manchester we normally just drive up very early in the morning to check in for a morning flight. With Gatwick being further the easiest option was to check in the night before and stop overnight nearby. It was a busy birthday and (because we were rushing to make twilight check in) the longest I'd spent in a car without a bathroom break! it was worth it though, especially since we then celebrated my birthday at WDW, I even got a 'happy birthday' phone call off Goofy in the City Hall on Main Street.

[back on topic]
It's a nice time to go, crowds generally very reasonable at this time of year so you've picked a good time to dodge crowds. We found the weather was maybe a little bit cooler than our spring visits but still very warm for us. (Though we're British, we're used to cold British weather!) I'd imagine it will be a fair bit warmer than your december visits and a fair bit cooler than your August visits, so balancing out somewhere in between. As such it is good weather for the parks but still warm enough for water activities. If December temperatures had put you off the water -parks for example you can go for it now. There is also not a lot of rain in October, especially as you get later on in the month.

Hope you have a great time! :mickey:

r4kids
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
We have been a couple of times during October. I will start off by saying we used to love this time. It was quite, relaxing and over all enjoyable. I can't say as though we'll be going back during October due to heavier crowds, F&W festival ( Epcot becomes very crowded with folks who have been drinking since mid-day), ressies are harder to come by since alot of locals take advantage of the F&W fest and it was down right hot this past year with a freakish heat wave that lasted the WHOLE time we were there. It was of course record setting humidity and heat. That aside I think November is better time to head down unless your dead set on the MNSSHP, which I might add is great!

Dsnygirl
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
:mpumpkin: We absolutely LOVE October... we've been twice now, once in the middle of the month and our last trip, which was the 22nd - Nov. 1st.

The weather is usually nice -- warm, but tolerable. It'll be a bit warmer your week, more like late September probably.... mid to high 80's, from what I remember and have read. But perfect for the water rides and for swimming!!

MNSSHP is the BEST.... if for no other reason, I'd go in the fall just for this party. It's unlike any other party they do, and soooo festive. I think you'll love it!!

Your week ought to be good, crowd-wise, but be prepared for the crowds to pick up the Fri/Sat/Sun of Columbus Day wknd... I've heard that wknd gets crazy. Be sure to make your ADR's EARLY, and get all your "must-do" rides and things out of the way before Friday!!

Crowds over that weekend not withstanding, I think it's a GREAT time of the year to go... I hope you have a wonderful time!! :mpumpkin:

Loweschevy
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM
This is the same week we have been coming down for the past few years.

There really is not a bad thing about going at this time other than the MK closing at 7 PM on MNSSHP nights and the otrher parks closing DHS around 6 or 7, AK around 5 or 6, and Epcot hours remain the same.

Be sure to have everything done before the crowds arrive Columbus Day weekend usually like Thursday because the crowds get heavy. We usually leave this time to take pictures, last minute browsing in the shops at the parks and soaking up that last bit of atmosphere.

Do not plan on going to DTD that weekend for shopping or eating. It will be insane. Do your major shopping or dining here early in the week.

This year was brutally hot and humid. It is a big difference from Nov/Dec. It is hot during the day and does not cool down till late evening. Bring your personal fans and tank tops.

You will love MNSSHP, fall decorations and the F&W Fest, but probably miss the Christmas decorations and activities.

Fangorn
01-04-2010, 11:26 AM
One thing to be aware of: October is prime convention time at WDW. The Epcot resorts, Contemporary and Coronado Springs will be booked solid since these are where the convention facilities are. There will be lots more people at those resorts all day long, but the parks won't be particularly crowded during the day.

Because of the conventions, you may find that one or more of the parks (specifically DHS) will close even earlier than normal for private convention parties. With MNSSHP closing MK early several nights a week, this generally will force all evening park going into Epcot. Expect some larger crowds there at night than you might think. It's certainly managable, but something of which to be aware.

Oh, you'll also find that Wishes, Spectromagic and Fantasmisic will have limited showings so you'll want to check out the showtimes and plan your activities accordingly. We were there this last Oct 1 - 7 and Fantasmic had only 2 showings that week. Spectomagic also had 2 and Wishes was done 3 times.

Overall, I think you'll find October is a great time to go.

Steve

DisneyFr33k
01-04-2010, 01:49 PM
We've gone during October or November the past 4 trips and LOVE this time of year! We just got back last October and the crowds weren't bad at all!

The weather is wonderful! Sometimes chilly in the mornings, but nice to still swim in the resort pool in the afternoon!

Crowds aren't bad except if it is over a long weekend. Just watch what you plan to do on the busy Columbus Day weekend. Our one trip during November is when it bumped into Vetern's Day weekend. Magic Kingdom was so packed we felt like sardines!!

Also, go to Epcot during the week - not on the weekends. The food and wine festival will attract locals over the weekends and make it very, very crowded. We didn't experience a lot of drunk people.

And, the MNSSHP - we did it twice and this was one too many. It was "alright", but not worth repeating, in our humble opinion.

Great time of year to go. I think you will really enjoy yourself.

dream_disney
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I love going to Disney in October. The past several years the free dining promotion has been going on during that time which makes it even better! The weather is GREAT in my opinion.... warm enough to use the pools but not too hot. Enjoy your Walt Disney World vacation! :mickey:

Mitzie
01-05-2010, 08:56 AM
We have been twice in Oct. Once last year with the family, we hit a cold spell the night of the MNSSHP and wished we had gloves and things, that was on the 28th.(This years trip in Dec. we had warmer weather at the Christmas party!!) Party was well worth it for us. Overall the weather for the end of the month was beautiful, sunny and no humidity. DH and I went this past Oct at the beginning of the month and it was quiet warm, but still not as bad as summer temps and humidity.
Crowd wise we noticed heavier crowds this past Dec.(5-11) then we did on either Oct. trip. We love the F&WF despite the crowds.
We are planning on heading back this Oct. again at the end of the month. It is true what someone said about conventions though. We looked into staying at CSR and it showed no aval. for a standard room this far out. They have it all blocked out for a convention. Go and enjoy!

dismeag
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
october is the best time to go!!! you should look into the not so scary hollween party it is the best it is so much fun you dress up and go around the parks and collect candy and their is not to manny people in the park witch maks it the best time to ride rides:mjump::figment::goofy:

bxrluv
01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
We went in Oct 2004 and hope to go back after this coming trip next in Oct to show our neighbors how great Oct is! MNSSHP was fantastic. We all dressed up. It was very humid that night though. I had colored my husband's bald head like a pumpkin and some of his paint was sweating off! The crowds were great when we were there the first week of Oct due to hurricane's that had just came through. They picked up a little as the days went on.

DizneyFreak2002
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I cannot really say anything bad about going to WDW in October.. it is my favorite time of the year to go.. MNSSHP, though getting some entertainment cut here and there over the years, is still worth it to me...

Jillirose
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
:thumbsup:
We've been at that time once, it was great - beautiful weather, and walk on every ride. Maybe wait 20 minutes. Also, there was an outdoor concert that week, Downtown Disney. We brought costumes and trick or treated downtown, most of the stores gave out candy.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi! If we go in October, this is the time we will go too-the week before Columbus Day, DS11 has Fall Break. We love, love, love October. It's not too hot, but warm enough to swim (although there was a heat wave this past Fall). The crowds aren't bad (we went in late May one year and it was hot, hot, hot and way crowded-not for us). We always get to ride everything we want more than once, with the exception of TSMania. ADR's can be tough-if free dining falls during this week-but I think they have caught on that kids are on Fall Break the 1st 2 weeks of October-so probably no free dining. Pool isn't too crowded.

We go to MNSSHP, which we love-we are Halloween people.

i can't think of anything I don't like when going in October.

Have fun!:mickey:

kemps@wdw
01-09-2010, 11:00 PM
We have always gone during the 1st full week in Oct as that is our DD fall break from school. Although, we have previously gone during the summer months, we found Oct to have better weather, less crowds, and the MNNSHP, which is a must-do for us. Not to mention the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. It is also our anniversary month as well, so we usually get a little extra special treatment @ some of the dinner shows.:thumbsup:

Gregandmel
01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
We went the week before Columbus Day in 2008 (Oct. 5-11) and LOVED it. The weather was good (warm, but not too bad) and the crowds were VERY manageable - (but we did notice an uptick in crowds Thurs & Friday - probably some of the Columbus Day crowds coming in). If we ever go in October again, this is the week we will choose!