PDA

View Full Version : Universal and Harry Potter Theme Park

forever a child
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Any word on WHEN it will be opened? So far all I see is Spring 2010. I would love to know if we can go! I may change WDW dates/or # of days if it's opened by May.

Also, I have never gone to Universal before...is the HP just a portion of an already existing part of Universal? If so any idea if you need a regular admission to Universal PLUS an additional Admission to get to HP? Just trying to figure out how it all might work since their info sight doesnt seem to tell much.

Thanks for help.

WDWfanatic742
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
To your first question, I haven't had the time to keep up with whats going on with HP lately, but months ago they seemed to be finishing up parts of the land before the end of the year (2009), and the rest will be finished in the Spring. I have no idea what the current status is though, so I can't help you out with that.

Second, the HP land is just another land. No seperate admission to the land at all. A regular admission will give you access to the land.

EDIT: Looking online real quick, work seems to be progressing fast from when I last saw it. Hogsmeade is still being worked on, as well as The Flight of the Hippogriff (Family Coaster), Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons) and the Castle. Couldn't find much on the new ride Forbidden Journey. Looks to be an awesome area once it is complete.

thejens
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
We are planning on splitting our trip in May/June hoping to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am also frustrated wondering about dates! Looking at the pictures, I think summer is safe and I'll bet they have the gift shops open by Spring!

NJGIRL
01-04-2010, 12:23 PM
The dates that were first put out there when the project was announced was the fall of 2010. It seems that since then things have been moving faster than expected and it may be opened in the spring of 2010 but that is not set in stone and I think we all know that projects get delayed for different reasons all the time. Right now there is no way of telling for sure when it will be opened. I would make plans to visit Universal either way. There are plenty of great attractions there to keep you busy even if Harry potter is not opened yet. I will cross my fingers for you!

forever a child
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your info. I was just hoping someone might have some info that I was unable to find. DD and I are excited about it. Never been to Universal before and not much of a thrill ride person...so I dont think we will be going until the HP park it open. So I guess we will just have to wait until the official announcement.
Thanks!

Joannelet
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Just so you know I believe its going to be in the Islands of Adventure park.

NJGIRL
01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your info. I was just hoping someone might have some info that I was unable to find. DD and I are excited about it. Never been to Universal before and not much of a thrill ride person...so I dont think we will be going until the HP park it open. So I guess we will just have to wait until the official announcement.
Thanks!

I would think that they will be making an announcement in the next few months. I think there is a very big misconception about the Universal theme parks for those people who have never gone there. While they do have many more thrill rides than Disney, that's not all they have. They have many family rides to keep everyone busy. My son does not do rollercoasters but he has plenty to do on our visits to Universal. Non thrill rides at the Studio include Men In Black, Twister, ET, The Simpsons, Jaws, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, Disaster, Terminator in fact with the exception of "The Mummy" I can't really think of any thrill rides in that park. You might have a problem at Islands of Adventure because it has many thrill rides and I don't think the HP section will have enough to keep you busy for more than a couple of hours. If you are only going for one day you might want to buy the ticket that they offer allowing you to visit both parks in one day.

Mfarquar
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Also, keep in mind that the Harry Potter Land is also only adding 1 ride to the existing Islands of Adventure rides. Dueling Dragons will simply be renamed and possibly repainted. The Flying Unicorn (children's mini coaster retitled Flight of the Hippogriff) will also only be renamed and painted, as I have heard rumored/sneaked a peak at.

The main draw of the new Harry Potter area will be a new ride featuring a system that uses a state-of-the art arm unit (similar to what is used to build cars and is presently on display at Innoventions in a different capacity b/c seating for 2 will be added) that allows for precise movements. There are rumors that this ride will be in front of an IMAX sort of screen and flip riders upside down and make you feel as though you are flying. Of course, the ride details are only from minor unintentional info leaks and speculation. There will also be eateries and stores in this area. When I was there this October, they were really making headway and the theming seems as though it will be excellent. However, it did seem as though they had a long way to go at the point (you can sneak peaks over the fences and secret areas by riding Dueling Dragons a few times! :) ).

Universal Studios, as mentioned, does not have many thrill rides. However, I will mention that their rides are a bit more "in your face" than Disney rides. Several made my younger sister quite jumpy and nervous as a child because of unexpected intensity (Terminator, Jaws, Earthquake (which is now a Disaster!). However, it all depends on the child and what they enjoy.

Also keep in mind, Twister has been operating only seasonally.

In addition, they have an AWESOME new coaster called Hollywood Rip, Ride and Rockit which allows you to choose your own song soundtrack for the ride and also video tapes you. It's definitely intense, but IMO one of the best coasters in Orlando.

As for Islands of Adventure, there are definitely more thrill rides there, with the exception of Seuss Landing and a children's inverted coaster in the Jurassic Park area (think Hershey's Rollersoaker minus the water).

Regardless, they are great parks and are worth checking out.