PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge vs. Port Orleans French Quarter

thejens
01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
We usually do the deluxe resorts and stay for a week. We have done Pop and ASM for one night each and loved them (for one night.) For our next trip we are thinking we might split between Universal and WDW so would spend less time at the resort. We thought this might be a good time to try a moderate. We have two boys who like the water slides and we thought the theming at POFQ looked fun for kids. We are a bit spoiled by the deluxe resorts, though. I am not sure about the double beds, but guess it would be okay. We have a car, so we could drive to the parks instead of taking the bus. Any thoughts? Our other thought is to do Wilderness Lodge which we have not stayed at yet, but have visited. I know this is a favorite, but never really captured my imagination like the other deluxe options. I would mainly try it for the boat to MK and because we've never done it before. Thanks for any feedback at all!

mom2morgan
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
How old are your boys? I find the pool at French Quarter to be the most fun for little ones - didn't appeal to my 10 year old or teens at all. I think Wilderness is probably the nicer option between the two. POR is also a nice resort, and you CAN use the French Quarter Pool if you want. It might have a bit more to do if you boys are a bit older.

HoosierDisneyFan
01-03-2010, 10:37 AM
One big factor that you did not mention is the cost. If $$ was not a factor I would pick WL but we like POFQ and this is not a bad selection. The boat to DTD is great for the PO resorts!

garymacd
01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Our two favourite resorts!

Don't make me decide!

The only factor that makes me decide is money.

Bus service from POFQ isn't that bad. There is only one bus stop, but you do share buses with POR for many of the parks. Even so, you are usually picked up and dropped off first.

You can't get beignets at WL, either, but that might not be an issue for some people.

As you said the beds at FQ are only doubles, but we managed alright with the four of us. Actually, as our girls grew up, we started bringing an air mattress and sheets for one since they didn't like to share.

We love the grounds and theming at both resorts. WL's geyser is just a neat item. The fact that you're in Florida, but it feels like the pacific north-west just astounds me.

Bass T-bone
01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, your comparing a Deluxe to a Moderate resort. Not much competition there.

It all comes down to money.

thejens
01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
The boys will be 6 and 12. We could do the deluxe (financially) but I am trying to talk myself into the more budget option! We've never tried a moderate, so I thought since it was a shorter stay with a more deluxe type resort at Universal, this might be a good time to give it a try. I am just looking for all the intercottee thoughts and opinions! I am trying to figure out the benefits of each resort to see if it would be worth the money saved to stay at the moderate. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the value resort was...that being said, I wouldn't want to stay there for the whole week. We don't really spend a lot of time at the resort, but the kids do like the pool at least once or twice.

andreallybadeggs
01-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Try a mod; you'll likely enjoy it and if not, you'll know to go back to the deluxe side of the fence.
As prices kept going up DH and I decided to try the CBR for a short stay once and got kind of hooked. DH really loved the grounds and was convinced it was a far better deal for the $ than any of the deluxes. So unless we can get a great deluxe deal these days, it's mods for us. We've stayed in all of them and enjoyed all of them. I prefer the pool area at POR to POFQ but since you have hopping privileges either of those might be a good choice for your first mod experience. Hope you enjoy it.

Melanie
01-04-2010, 06:58 AM
My boys are 9 and 11 and didn't care for the POFQ pool at all. It was definitely a disappointment for us. If you are wanting a nice moderate with somewhat of a deluxe feel (queen beds, awesome pool area), I'd suggest Coronado Springs.

Mickey'sGirl
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Choosing between the two resorts you mention, I would go with the French Quarter. The Wilderness Lodge is the only Disney Resort I did not like, nor will return to by choice. Too much money for Moderate amenities.

I agree with Melanie on Coranado Springs. Can't beat Queen beds at a Mod! :thumbsup: and the Pool ROCKS!

#1donaldfan
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
.....look at the POR Riverside.....it's truly a mod with a deluxe feel, the only exception is no room service....I know this will test the ones who only do deluxe's and they'll say they are far superior, and they truly may be, but for the $$ you can't get any better than the riverside...plus, your boys will love it, there is so much to do there while not at a park.....this, of course, is just IMHO....:cool:

Mickey91
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I would definitely stay at WL if there was a choice. We have stayed at both. But we stayed at POR instead of POFQ. We loved it there as well. Our DKs liked the slide at POR better than POFQ. It is a bit faster and maybe a bit longer. But regardless of which PO resort you stay, you can go to either pool.

That being said, WL is still way better and once you stay there, it will be a struggle to stay anywhere else!

jonahbear2006
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
our kids are 9,7,5,3 and were bored at FQ pool. The POR pool is better but still the slide is rather lame, in comparison with deluxe slides. I dont think WL and POR-FQ even compares. I would never stay at PO again. We are deluxe people and we just really despised this place. It seemed kind of run down to us and really high prices for something that I would compare to any old hotel off the side of the road. The service was horrible, as well. Our room was covered in dust. We hooked up a cable to the tv so the kids could watch their dvd player in the room and behind the tv looked like they hadn't dusted in 10 years. sooo gross. WL has much smaller grounds, the pool is cascading with ambience and elegance, the lobby is warming to the eyes and soul, and the location is so much better for children. I think, as adults, you will be happier there and the hot tub wont be nearly as crowded. I couldnt even find a seat off the side of the hot tub, in september, without moving someone's beer bottle for them.

jonahbear2006
01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
i forgot about the beds. my DH had to sleep with a child and I had to sleep with a child cause the beds were so small that we didnt fit on one together. that was not comfortable, as far as i was concerned.

thejens
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Decisions, decisions!!! Thanks so much for all your comments! Not that it is making it easier for me to decide!!! The good news is, either choice is still pretty good!