PDA

View Full Version : How to say Hello in the Epcot Nations

Gator
01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
For those of you who speak these other languages, I was wondering how to say hello to all the nations of the World Showcase. I've got the UK and the USA down pretty well I think :D It's "hola" in Mexico. After that, I'm done. Anyone know the other greetings?

disneydeb
01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
How about bonjour or hello for Canada?

:mickey:

Zawadi
01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
France - Bonjour (good day)

Italy - Buongiorno (good day) Buonasera (good evening)

China - Nín hǎo (hello)

Germany - Guten Tag (good day) Guten morgan (good morning) Guten Abend (good evening)

Zawadi
01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Japan - Kon Ni chi Wa (hello) Kon Ban Wa (good evening)

andreallybadeggs
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Morocco:
Es salaam aleykum
(my own phonetics)
UK:
bet they'll understand no matter what you say as long as you don't
have too much of an accent :)
:mickey:

dumbo_buddy
01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
USA: Yo!

kidding :)

fielin
01-02-2010, 05:51 PM
USA : Hi / Hello / Good Morning / Good Evening
France : Salut / Salut / Bonjour / Bonsoir
Spain : Hola / Hola / Buenos Dias / Buenas Tardes
Italian : Salute / Salute / Bonjurno

TheRustyScupper
01-02-2010, 06:11 PM
How about bonjour or hello for Canada?

Raise your hand and loudly say. "Eh!".

CanadianWDWFan
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
If anyone can remember Bob and Doug Mackenzie, it is "How's it goin' EH?":D

Germany: Guten Tag wie gehts also works. Means literally Good day how are you.

Ian
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Mexico - Hola.

Norway - Hei

China - Ni hao

Germany - Guten tag

Italy - Buongiorno

France - Bonjour

Japan - Konnichiwa

Morroco - Salam

Canada - It would either be hello in the English speaking parts or bonjour in French Canada.

England - Hello!

Buttercup
01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I would just say "Hello" or "Hi" in Canada... French is our second language (sort-of like how the USA has a lot of Spanish speaking citizens, you're still considered an English speaking nation).
If I wanted to get really nit-picky, "Bonjour" actually means "Good Day". It's sort-of a formal greeting - how often do you say "Good Day" to people? :D
"Hello" in French is "Allo" (basically "Hello" without the "H" sound).

And be sure to ask the Canadians in the pavillion about how we all wear red lumberjack shirts, snowmobile everywhere, live in igloos and have totem poles in our front yards. :funny: "How's it goin' eh, ya hoser!"

My question is regarding China. "Ni Hao" is actually Mandarin... what if the castmember is Cantonese?

mom2morgan
01-02-2010, 10:03 PM
LOL - and the better choice for French Canada is "Salut". very informal and works for both "Hi" and "bye".

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Japanese for Hi: yā

Melanie
01-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Japan:

Good morning - ohayo gozaimasu (sounds basically like Ohio go-zai-mus)

Good afternoon - konnichiwa gozaimasu

Good evening - konbanwa gozaimasu

garymacd
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Eh?

MushuGrl
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Buttercup has a good point, because the two ladies that waited on me last year were from Hong Kong!

The Cantonese hello is "nay hoh" with in translation really means "You good".

Scar
01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
In my experience with Norwegian, which is really just listening to my Father and Uncle pretend to know how to speak Norwegain, "God Dag" pronounced "gudog" which means "Good Day" is a much more common greeting than "Hello" And they often repeat it - God dag god dag."

Imagineer1981
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
For China, its Ni Hao (pronounced Knee How)

brad192
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
In Germany, an informal way of saying goodbye to family, friends, and coworkers is "Chuss", with a long U (ooo). It's slang, and the equivalent in english is "Later".

Buttercup
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Ah that's right! Chuss!
My husband is Austrian but I always assumed he and his relatives were saying "Cheers" as a goodbye, just with their German accents!
Well now I know it's an actual German word!

GBBT
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
In the UK...how about...."ello chap!":confused:

Through the looking Glass
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
One year my daughter got a autograph book and had each country write Hello and a little saying in their native lanuage. The gentleman at the Trading Post who carves wood, Andrew, wrote three pages of Swahilii. After that they all did it. Japan was the funniest, for they had a hard time translating their own language back to English.
My daughter now allways stops by and sits with Andrew for a spell. He remembers her and allways lights up when she shows up and says Jambo.

Dznygrl79
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
First let me say how considerate that you would greet the castmembers in their native tongue, second I think any good attemp works, also try going to your local library and in the kids area there are usually great books that explain things about the specifin country to kids and have a few phrases (good day, thank you, etc) When I was teaching I found these just as fascinating as the kids.
I remember striking up a conversation in my broken German at Biergarten and the hostess was still please she told me she was having a blast but missed home and would talk to anyone who would let her in German.
Viel Glück (good luck!) on your journey around world showcase.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
...If I wanted to get really nit-picky, "Bonjour" actually means "Good Day". It's sort-of a formal greeting - how often do you say "Good Day" to people? :D
"Hello" in French is "Allo" (basically "Hello" without the "H" sound).

It's funny that you say that... I speak French, both as my minor from school and within my family, and we only say "Allo?" when answering the phone or sarcastically (as in hello? are you paying attention?) Otherwise we use "bonjour" or "salut". On the otherhand, we almost never use "au revoir," favoring "a bientot" or "adieu" instead. :)