PDA

View Full Version : How do you say..

monkeycity
01-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Hello to all my fellow intercotees :D been a while lol

So, the DW and I were watching the old Treasure Island (One of my personal favorites of Disney's live action movies), and we got to talking about where they were, the Caribbean. I say, Pirates of the Caribbean, like Ku-RIB-ee-un, and she said, no, it's Caribbean, like Care-uh-BE-un. We have had this discussion before, especially when we are at the most magical place on Earth :mickey:

So, I'm not asking for an argument on the correct pronunciation, or as the wife said last night :thedolls: pronoUnciation haha.. but how do you say, "HEYYYY!!! Let's go ride Pirates of the Caribbean again and again and again..." (That was a true story, btw lol)

Thanks, and if someone needs to move this post, I understand.. who knows where it should actually go lol

xoHelloKittyox
01-02-2010, 02:18 AM
I say Care-a-bean LOL :mickey:

gerald72
01-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I say pirates of the CAR ibbean, but I also say ca RIB bean beach resort.

retiredfigment
01-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I say Care-a-bein. But if I could just be there right now where it is warm I would say it anyway somebody wanted to. Cold here in Ohio:)

BMan62
01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I say kahr-ih-bee'-un or kah-rib'-ee-un

Strmchsr
01-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Officially, according to the dictionary, both are correct/acceptable so you're right regardless of which you prefer. :thumbsup:

Jenemmy
01-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I say it the way you do, emphasis on the "rib", but everyone else I know seems to say it the other way :mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-02-2010, 09:37 AM
...uhmmm.....we say pirates of the care a be un and strangly enough say ca rib e un beach ....weird huh ?? I guess it changes when placed at the beginning or end of the statement....:confused:

TheVBs
01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
...uhmmm.....we say pirates of the care a be un and strangly enough say ca rib e un beach ....weird huh ?? I guess it changes when placed at the beginning or end of the statement....:confused:

:ditto:

disneymom15
01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I've said it both says. But more times than not, I say it like your wife.

rubato
01-02-2010, 12:24 PM
According to my 90 year old uncle, who really knows these things, the Caribe indians are what the islands are named for and thus, it should be pronounced with the "Care" and the "be" being emphasised. So, the Pirates are correct. :thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
01-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Same here... :)

LudwigVonDrake
01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I say it as: Cah-rib-bee-an :pirate:

Giggy
01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I say it as: Cah-rib-bee-an :pirate:

That's how I say it as well. :mickey:

Mickeydream
01-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Well the same conflict occurs here with us too! I say Care-a-bein, and DD says Cah-rib-e-in. LOL this post, we feel was made for us! Glad to see you go through it too:blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
That's how I say it as well. :mickey:
I say it more like: Kuh rib be an

It seems like it's just in the past few years that people have been trying to change it.

garymacd
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I say it more like: Kuh rib be an

It seems like it's just in the past few years that people have been trying to change it.

Maybe it's a Canadian/British thing, but we have always said CAR i Be an. Not just recently.

It sounds like this thread might turn into another To May to/To Mah to discussion. Or even better: which way to hang the toilet paper roll.

Can't wait for the fun to begin!

MushuGrl
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
We argue over it so much anymore we just say Pirates or POTC. :blush:

(But I always say CARE a BEE an.)

BigThunderFan
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
We just call it Pirates and avoid all conflict:thumbsup:

Buttercup
01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I have always said: Care - a - bee- in.
Not: Kerr - ibb - ee - in.

That's how everybody I know up here in the Great White North say it too - and have been forever. I don't think it's a recent thing.

bruin1344
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Most of the time I pronounce Caribbean as Ku-RIB un but sometimes I refer to Pirates of Caribbean Care-uh-BE-un.

joelkfla
01-03-2010, 11:56 PM
The recorded spiel on the buses puts the accent on the first & third syllables in Carribean Beach Resort. Since the spiel comes from Imagineering in CA, I consider that to be the official pronunciation, so I try to pronounce it that way. But everyone else in Transportation seems to say it the other way!

It seems like I've always heard the accent on the first & third syllables in POTC too, when mentioned in spiels or Disney TV shows.

mom2morgan
01-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I'd just say "great idea! Let's go!" :-)

Goes4FastPass
01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
We argue over it so much anymore we just say Pirates or POTC. :blush:

(But I always say CARE a BEE an.)

I refuse to believe anyone says "Pee Oh Tee Cee". That would like "Oh em gee I went to pee oh tee cee and el em a oh!"

Yeardley
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Here's a great joke!
Hubby and wife are on their way to DW. Wife says get off at the exit that says "Kiss SEM me." Husband says, "No, it's pronouced KISS sem me." They banter back and forth until hubby says, "I'm going to stop at the next place I come to and ask." He goes into the establishment, walks up to the counter, and says, "Excuse me. Can you please tell me how to pronounce the name of this place?" Gal looks at him like he's crazy and answers, "Bur Ger King."

KatrinaJ91
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I say pirates of the CAR ibbean, but I also say ca RIB bean beach resort.

I was thinking the same thing! :thumbsup:

W24toISMdirect
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
You know I never realized this about muself until I thought about it... but I actually use Care-a-BE-an as a noun, and ka-RIB-e-an as an adjective.

I.E. Pirates of the Care-a-BE-an... or ka-RIB-e-vacation.