PDA

View Full Version : Any downsides to online check-in?

Dream'nDisney
01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Are there any downsides to checking in online? I enjoy talking with the cast members and making sure we have everything in order upon arrival, so I am contemplating not checking in online. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Strmchsr
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM
There's no real downside to it. You still have to go to the desk to get your packet from the CM. The only thing it really does is save time with them entering your personal and credit card info.

kakn7294
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I think the only downside is that if you are a Disney first-timer, you might not get some of the "insider" info about your resort that the CMs usually love to share. The 2 times we've used the service, they didn't go over the stuff in the packet beyond a quick run-down of what was in it.

gerald72
01-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Is saving time the only upside to online checking?

kakn7294
01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Is saving time the only upside to online checking?Pretty much.

TammiMcMan
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Basically, it's like express check-out. It speeds things up for the guests who have been there before and don't want to stand in line behind guests who may need more assistance or have questions. Although you still get a real CM in the online check-in area, it's really designed to be more of a grab 'n go.

Dream'nDisney
01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Those suggestions being said, I think I will stick to the regular check-in. I like to hear all the extras. Call me crazy, but to me, the check-in experience is part of the excitement. :mickey:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Can you only get express check in if you book your room directly through Disney? IE, if you book through Magical Journeys or Expedia, could you still do express check in?

yjgirl32
01-02-2010, 10:50 AM
yes- we went through MJ and still was able to express check-in.

rubato
01-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Now that I've read this, I'm not going to do online checkin. We've never stayed at CBR. I want to know all the extras. Thanks for asking the question!

tyandskyesmom
01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
What about room requests? If you check in online is there any way to "pick" your room? In the past, if I was given a room somewhere I did not want to be, I could always ask the CM checking me in if there was anything else available and sort-of pick from a few options then...if you check-in online, I assume you are assigned to a room at that time, right? If so, do I have to option of changing that when I arrive and find out what room it is?

Genie1953
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
What about room requests? If you check in online is there any way to "pick" your room? In the past, if I was given a room somewhere I did not want to be, I could always ask the CM checking me in if there was anything else available and sort-of pick from a few options then...if you check-in online, I assume you are assigned to a room at that time, right? If so, do I have to option of changing that when I arrive and find out what room it is?

I have these very same questions as well. Sounds the the online checkin is so much easier but we are hoping we can get a room in the Mansions at POR. We actually prefer it to be in either of two buildings and hope we can get what we wnat. It will be so disappointing if we can't get the mansions section. Would be nice to make a special request prior to check-in if possible.

Fangorn
01-04-2010, 11:54 AM

You still have this option with on-line checkin. A room will have already been assigned to you and keys created (that's where the time savings come in), but you still interact with a CM, so if the room location is unacceptable you can still request a change and they will attempt to accomodate you. We did this in September. We had requested a ground floor room for medical reasons and were given a second floor room in a building with no elevator. It took a few minutes but they did find us another room.

As for making requests - the on-line checkin process does give you a few options, but only only 5 and they're very generic. If you have specific requests, you need to have them added to your reservation prior to doing the on-line checkin. You can do that by calling Disney reservation directly or having your travel agent do it for you.

Steve