PDA

View Full Version : Best HDTV for continual video game playing?

Harmony Rose
12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
We currently have a 42" Vizio television that we bought just a little over a year ago. During the last several months, various static images from video games and tv network logos have begun to remain for extended periods of time during and after playing/viewing.

We are considering purchasing another television due to this annoyance and are wondering if this might merely be an HDTV or tv brand problem. Inquiring about this issue with different salespeople hasn't proven useful.

We would appreciate any input, suggestions and/or personal experiences regarding this issue. My recommendation was to limit the amount of use, but that isn't an option! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any help, and Happy New Year! :party:

minnesotafreeze
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I recommend a Sony LCD hdtv. I game a lot and have not had an issue with static images and no lag issues that can plague some hdtvs. You will probably want to steer clear of plasma since they can get burn in when playing games or if there are static images such as sports tickers.:mickey:

PirateLover
12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
We have a 40" Samsung and my fiancee plays XBOX all the time especially lately. We also tend to watch the same tv channels all day long. We have had it 6 months now and have not seen any effects. The HD is so crisp and clear. I don't know the model off the top of my head but I could find out... we got it through Amazon for about $900.

DizneyRox
12-31-2009, 07:21 PM
If it's going to be for gaming, I'd go with one of the cheapy TVs you see for next to nothing. I don't care what people say, LCDs and plasma (CRTs as well) can suffer from burn in. I've got a LCD on one compute rthat has the windows task bar burned in the bottom. Plasmas have been notorious for burn-in.

With a game, you're probably going to see the same thing, but one would hope it's not getitng that much use that the images burn in. It does take a while with LCDs.

I havne't read up much on the LEDs but I would guess they are less proe to burn in than any other TV at this point. They are at the high end of the scale as well however. Not worth it for a gaming TV IMHO.

YOu can also tweak the brightness and contrast on any new TV to put it more in line with where it should be. Many TV brands pump up those values from the factory so they look "better" in front of the consumer's eyes in the store. They are often way too high for a true picture.

Harmony Rose
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I appreciate all of your replies and after much discussion and my sticking to my guns about "NO WAY AM I GOING TO DIP INTO OUR DISNEY TRIP FUND FOR A TV TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES ON" :thedolls: we've taken DizneyRox's suggestion (which was mirrored by MANY of our friends and even a couple of salesmen) and will be using one of our old "tube" tv's for the video game systems. I just hope my husband and son's whining about "it's so much smaaaaaller" and "the picture isn't as gooooood" ends soon or I'll have to limit their dole whips and Main Street Bakery cherry turnovers when we're there! :secret: