PDA

View Full Version : When do the holiday decorations come down?

AdventurelandTikiGirl
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I just planned an impromptu visit to the world for this Sunday the 3rd :yay:. I'm wondering if the holiday decorations will still be up. I know that the Osborne lights will still be there, but what about the other parks??

Strmchsr
12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
On Sunday, yes. Most stuff will begin to come down after Monday.

KylesMom
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
The Disney press site gives January 2nd as the last day for the Castle Dreamlights, January 3rd as the last day for the "Festival of the Seasons" at DTD and January 4th is the last showing of Jingle Jungle Parade at AK as well as the final evening of the Osborne Lights. Hopefully you'll still be able to catch some of the decorations before they come down!

Daisy'sMom
12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm one of those weird people that do not like seeing Christmas decorations after Christmas. I know I am strange but our decorations come down theday afte Christmas. My family hates me for it, but I really have a thing aboutit. I did compromise and left the outside things up until yesterday.
So I will be glad when Disney is back to normal.:mickey:

Strmchsr
12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm one of those weird people that do not like seeing Christmas decorations after Christmas.

Technically, the "Christmas season" is Dec 25-Jan 6 so if you want to take down your decorations after Christmas, take them down Jan 7. :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Good call, Chris!!:thumbsup:

We never take ours down until after the Feast of the Epiphany.

It would be fine with us us WDW was still decorated when we got there on Jan. 10th :D

Stu29573
12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Good call, Chris!!:thumbsup:

We never take ours down until after the Feast of the Epiphany.

It would be fine with us us WDW was still decorated when we got there on Jan. 10th :D

Yep, us too!

MinnieMommie
12-30-2009, 07:31 PM
We (reluctantly) take ours down after the Epiphany. We arrive at Disney early Friday morning and I will rush around to see everything before it comes down. Everyone I talk with quotes a different day for the decorations to come down so I will try to see it all on the first. A good source quoted the 4th but each day after the 1st will be considered a gift by me. :mickey:

Strmchsr
12-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Everyone I talk with quotes a different day for the decorations to come down so I will try to see it all on the first.

Carol's post above (post #3) is the official schedule. The reason everyone gives different times is after the 4th it all starts coming down, but it takes a week or two for everything to actually be down. I was down this coming week last year and every day something else was gone, but there was still some of it left up by the end of the week.

GreenBeetle
12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Now I'm confused.

A CM at the GF told me the Gingerbread House will be gone by January 2 and the lights on Cinderella's Castle. I thought that sounded unrealistic since it takes so long to put them up.

I called to ask because we will be checking in (at Kidani Village) on 1/2/10 and I was hoping to travel around for some photos before it's all gone. :(

Strmchsr
12-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Now I'm confused.
A CM at the GF told me the Gingerbread House will be gone by January 2 and the lights on Cinderella's Castle.(

Jan 2 is the last day the lights on the castle will be lit. They won't be "gone" yet. They will be removed during the castle refurb that starts Jan 12.

Darbylew
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
I think that most of the decorations will be
down right after the first of January. I know
we went about the middle of January and stayed
at the AKL and they were just taking the
decorations down there. I think they must do
the resorts last. :mickey:

csdavis
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
We were in the parks yesterday-the 8th and a lot of Christmas stuff was still up. They were also still playing Christmas music. Not sure if the freezing nights had something to do with them not being down or not. The castle was still lit up on Friday night also.

Strmchsr
01-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Yep. I can verify now that the castle lights were on Saturday and Sunday but should be off today. The trees were also up in MK, Epcot, and AK, but those should also start coming down today. There are signs that they are taking decorations down, but they don't seem to have gotten to the big things yet. Kind of a surprise. They had them down much quicker last year but DW was thrilled so I'm not complaining.

BMan62
01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
From another site:

Walt Disney World has kept its Christmas decorations up longer than it has in the past. In fact, you can still see the Magic Kingdom’s holiday decorations, including the Castle Dreamlights, through this Thursday, January 14.

Altair
01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
The trees were also up in MK, Epcot, and AK, but those should also start coming down today. There are signs that they are taking decorations down, but they don't seem to have gotten to the big things yet. Kind of a surprise. They had them down much quicker last year but DW was thrilled so I'm not complaining.

My guess is all the manpower was being used protecting plants and water pipes from the cold snap.:mickey:

Strmchsr
01-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Well, the castle lights stopped after Sunday and all the trees came down overnight Wednesday into Thursday. Don't know if they'll use that same pattern next year, but at least now you know, and knowing is half the battle.