PDA

View Full Version : RIP Leroy

Lizzy
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
My parakeet passed away last night. I know to some they seem like insignificant little birds. But Leroy was special. He was a vibrant blue. He learned many wild bird calls and never bit me once. I got him about 9 years ago in a pet store. They had him separated from the other parakeets because he was already tame and older. They guessed him to be about 3 at the time.

I was told by many "experts" that they would not live more than 7 years in captivity. Leroy made it to 9 years, plus the 3 he was already. I found him laying on the bottom of his cage barely breathing last night. I picked him up and cuddled him and he died in my arms.

He was a special little bird that has left my house songless.

I will miss you Leroy my Boy. You were one of a kind.

:(

badkitty
12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our pets are very special members of our families and it is very painful when they leave us. Birds are unique and not insignificant at all especially the very talented parakeets. I hope your memories will see you through this difficult time. You had many special years with your beloved Leroy to treasure.

Nascfan
12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Lizzy, I'm so sorry for you! All pets touch our lives in a special way and become members of our family, so Leroy's loss is anything but insignificant. My sister has a couple parakeets and so I understand the pain you are feeling. I hope you find comfort in that Leroy was feeling loved and comforted in your arms during his last moments. :hug:

SBETigg
12-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Lizzy, what a sweet story. I'm glad you had so many wonderful years with Leroy and I'm sorry for your loss.

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry about Leroy, Lizzy. He sounded like a very cool bird and yes, he lived a lot longer than any other parakeet I have ever heard about! We had a couple of parakeets growing up and they had a special place in our family too. Glad you were able to cuddle him and say goodbye before he left you.

faline
12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I remember years ago, my grandmother had a parakeet that she loved dearly.

It always sad to face loss.

Disney4us2
12-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I am sorry for your loss. He sounded like a wonderful companion. Our pets are part of the family. What a nice tribute you did for your beloved Leroy.

Last year we lost our cockatiel Manu. I know how the loss can feel. We now have a parakeet Buddy. On occasion I still call Buddy by the name of Manu.

Magic Smiles
12-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Leroy. I have grown up with budgies, our first living 13 years and so know just how attached you can get to them. They really do take on the personalities of their owners. We currently have a green budgie, Kirby who is approx 6 and have spent over $500 on vet bills in the last 5 months. She just has some really bad days and yet we can't find anything wrong with her other than the fact that she is like 50% over weight. On good days she is extremely active and is currently on a diet, but seems to still be gaining weight. The only test left is an xray to see if it is an internal tumor, but we aren't going to do that one as there is nothing we could do for her anyways and we would have to leave Kirby overnight for the xrays. Today Kirby had a great day and was like her old self. So many ups and downs.
My thoughts are with you and there are some of us who know what you are going through. You will always have great memories of Leroy.

vizsla
12-30-2009, 07:07 AM
So sorry for your loss.

DizNee143
12-30-2009, 10:25 AM
pets no matter what kind..are a family member..and its just as hard at losing one of them..im soo sorry for your lost!

DVC2004
12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss! It's clear how much Leroy was loved.:(

Lizzy
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I knew I could count on Intercotees for support

We buried Leroy beneath a beautiful tree at future MIL's house. I wanted him to be at a permenant home instead of my rental so I wouldn't have to leave him behind.

My house is so still and quiet (even with my 2 year old terror running around) I haven't moved his cage yet. I keep walking by and looking at it like he is there. I never realized how much I checked on him all the time. :(

faline
12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a fitting resting place.

Kathy Jetson
01-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

mrsgaribaldi
01-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Leroy. I've never had a bird myself but he sounds like he was very special. :hug:

Dizneyana
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Lizzy - so sorry to hear about Leroy.. :(

I lost the last of my pets a couple of months ago and my house seems so empty. I've often thought about getting a bird.. Maybe we need to adopt sister birds... Yours can be Dizzy, and mine will be Lizzy! :D

Pixie Dust headed your way...

Lizzy
01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
LOL Tracy! I just got a new parakeet last night. I couldn't take the quiet anymore. I hadn't picked a name yet- Dizzy it is! :D

Dizneyana
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Gosh, I was just kinda kidding... :blush:

I'm flattered... Now I'll have to shop for Lizzy! :thumbsup:

Enjoy Dizzy! :cool: