PDA

View Full Version : Old Water Park

julyjewel
12-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I never knew there was a water park that closed down on Disney property (River Country). I saw some pics and could not believe how close it was to the Contemporary. The pics are kind of creepy looking. It's a shame that it closed.

Ms. Mode
12-29-2009, 07:25 AM
You know, I just saw this yesterday and the pictures too. I'm didn't know there was another water park either. Now I'm going to be looking to see if I can see it next week :)

WishingStar2006
12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
It's pretty grown over now but if you are on a boat that goes from WL to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds you can see it...it's about half way between the two marina's. It was a lot of fun in it's day.

Patricia
12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
My adult kids were little when they used River Country and they still talk about how much fun they had there.

I assume changing it into a proper pool for Fort Wilderness was never worth the expense if it was even possible.

sorcerer fan
12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
there were a couple of pools there too , but the main spot used the lake water and you can't swim in that now. I think they should have filled in the lake and use the pool area for swimming. there was a place to eat and sit around

Giggy
12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
We went there once on our 2001 trip, we didn't get around to it for our 1998 trip and it was closed by our 2004 trip. We preferred Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach but we're glad we got to see it once.

There was a change in state laws that prohibited them from using the open lake. It wasn't cost effective to section off part of the lake, there wasn't a lot left without the lake so the only viable option was to close it.

Shame, as I said we preferred Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach but it was a nice, relaxing, slow paced half day.

faline
12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Went to River Country a few times and have wonderful memories of that water park. That was the first place that I ever attempted a water slide (quite an accomplishment for someone who is essentially a non-swimmer). By today's water park standards, this park was quite tame but I certainly found it to be an enjoyable way to spend a day - or part of a day.

ibrowse17
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I have some great memories of River Country from when I was younger. It makes me a bit sad to ride past it on the boats to MK and see it today. Same thing for Treasure Island, which I enjoyed as a child also.

LudwigVonDrake
12-31-2009, 06:54 PM
For whatever reason I never went there but have been to TL and BB.