PDA

View Full Version : DVC perks...

phlo8810
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I am new to DVC this year. I was looking at the perks of ownership and I really can't take advantage of any of them. I was wondering if there is an official way to give feedback regarding the perks. I think a perfect one that wouldn't cost disney a dime would be to give all members a "golden" fastpass to use as they please. Or just flash your membership card to the FP person and you get on the ride. Has this been brought up before? I can't believe that there aren't perks like this available. I mean we are aloud to pool hop the pools, come on that is perk. anyone that walks in off the street can do that. Or how about a discount for the DDP? I love disney and plan on going twice a year for the forseable future but with the cost of airfare now it is really statring to hurt us financially and I think some more perks or discounts wouldn't really hurt them and could bring us there more than we already go. Thanks for listening.

NH Disneyfan
12-27-2009, 10:01 PM
As a new member, I'm not sure why any DVC member would expect perks. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of golden fast pass, but seriously - we have all PAID to go there 1,2,3 times annually. We will buy food, buy park tickets, and get there however we can. If you can't afford the airfare, I guess you need to ask if you can afford DVC.

To your airfare point - why would Disney provide an incentive just because airfare is higher? They aren't an airline company.

I thought it was great at Disneyland recently that I got 10% off food at most restaurants/carts. With my Disney Visa, I got 10% off merchandise. Pretty good deal. With my Disney Visa, I just cashed in for $100+ in rewards, better than my old credit card gave me.

I just don't think we should expect perks, but welcome whatever they give. If you're willing to spend $15-20K on DVC (plus annual fees), not sure you should be looking for deals elsewhere. When you find them, take advantage!!!!

DVC2004
12-27-2009, 10:32 PM
If you log into the member website (dvcmember.com) there is a link to email member satisfaction. That would be the best place to comment and definitely have your feedback noted.

In regards to perks- unfortunately anyone who works for DVC will tell you that they are just that- and not a reason to join. They can change at any time. In fact many years ago when the club first started, members got free admission to the parks. While most of us agree with your view and would welcome more perks (and more useful ones!), it's not likely that this will change any time soon. :(

jonahbear2006
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree. After all, you are buying real estate with them and allowing them to make money off of rooms all year round that they book up for people who arent even dvc. You are still allowed to stay there if you pay the price for it. It isn't like you are handed a condo that belongs to only you and one other family, like most time shares. You are paying Disney to allow you to call it home, while they continue to treat it as if it is not really your home. There should be perks. You should get discounts and I agree with the fast passes. DVC should get fast passes similar to what you get when you tour dvc. instant. that is the problem with dvc. It doesnt save you money, there arent any solid perks, and no democracy as to what is done with your dues. Turns me off from it completely.

DVC2004
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree. After all, you are buying real estate with them and allowing them to make money off of rooms all year round that they book up for people who arent even dvc. You are still allowed to stay there if you pay the price for it. It isn't like you are handed a condo that belongs to only you and one other family, like most time shares. You are paying Disney to allow you to call it home, while they continue to treat it as if it is not really your home. There should be perks. You should get discounts and I agree with the fast passes. DVC should get fast passes similar to what you get when you tour dvc. instant. that is the problem with dvc. It doesnt save you money, there arent any solid perks, and no democracy as to what is done with your dues. Turns me off from it completely.

Um- not to go off topic, but there is another thread to why or why not DVC makes sense (to your comment about not saving you money).
I am pretty familiar with other timeshares as well as DVC ,and most of them do not give you lots of perks or democracy with your dues. Also most let others pay cash to stay as nonmembers just like Disney. It's really no different.

Seasonscraps
12-28-2009, 04:42 AM
There are a lot of perks to being in DVC such as free internet in the room, dining & entertainment discounts, discounted annual passes, pool hopping (which is not available to anyone off the street), etc. There used to be more but they were removed.

You can contact member services with your suggestions but now that they already have members' money, there is not much incentive to give them more.

DVC Mike
12-28-2009, 06:58 AM

Sounds like you aren't that familiar with timeshares. I can book most timeshares using cash - not just Disney, so your complaint rings hollow to me.

What other timeshares offer theme park perks? We already have a timeshare with one of the greatest locations right on WDW property. We get discounts on the Annual Pass.

Ian
12-28-2009, 10:15 AM
If you're considering buying DVC ... or any timeshare for that matter ... for the perks, then you're probably not someone who should consider purchasing.

No perks are guaranteed. You're buying a real estate interest.

Personally, I think it's great that they offer us $100 off our AP's. That's more than enough "perk" for me.

CanadianWDWFan
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Personally, I think it's great that they offer us $100 off our AP's. That's more than enough "perk" for me.
:ditto:
This for us is one of the single biggest perks for out there. We get two years worth of visits with the annual pass. We plan our trips so that the annual pass will cover both of them.

Plus with the annual pass you can then get the Tables in Wonderland card for 20% discount on most Table service meals.

I also agree with DVCMike. We bought DVC for staying at Disney World not some other condo miles off property. Perks are secondary IMHO.

phlo8810
12-28-2009, 11:59 AM
All good replies. I obviously didn't join for the perks but whenever you read any info on dvc they point out the perks associated with being a member. Just think there should be better ones that's all. As far as the person who commented about the pool hoping perk have you ever been asked to show ID to go swimming? That's what I meant by anyone off the street can do that.

Tinkermom
12-28-2009, 12:27 PM
As far as the person who commented about the pool hoping perk have you ever been asked to show ID to go swimming? That's what I meant by anyone off the street can do that.

Yes, twice - once at WL and once at the Poly. If you travel at peak times and the pools are very busy there will be CM's checking for resort ID's.

ThanxForNoticin
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
All good replies. I obviously didn't join for the perks but whenever you read any info on dvc they point out the perks associated with being a member. Just think there should be better ones that's all. As far as the person who commented about the pool hoping perk have you ever been asked to show ID to go swimming? That's what I meant by anyone off the street can do that.

We've also been asked for a room key several times when pool-hopping. Does that mean people can't break the rules and get away with it? I'm sure some folks do hop when they're not allowed.

As for the extra perk of a 'golden fastpass', I think I prefer it the way it is. I bought a DVC membership for the accomodations and the flexibility of staying in close proximity to WDW. As a guest at a DVC resort in Orlando, I get bus transportation, EMHs, Magical Express, airline baggage check-in, etc. An all-inclusive fastpass would just tick off the non-DVC guests and is really not necessary for me to enjoy the parks. Would I take it if offered? Absolutely. But I'll continue to use the 10-20% off meals and the AP discount instead - those work fine for me.

jonahbear2006
12-28-2009, 01:27 PM
well the people i know that have timeshares actually own them and they leave their things there, in closets and such. they dont have to move out when they go home.

MidnTPK
12-28-2009, 03:09 PM
well the people i know that have timeshares actually own them and they leave their things there, in closets and such. they dont have to move out when they go home.
You're not thinking of a timeshare. Timeshares usually have 52 owners....one for each week of the year. That would be a lot of owners' closets in a single unit.

You're thinking of an investment property that someone rents out....and owns by themself.

MidnTPK
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I am new to DVC this year. I was looking at the perks of ownership and I really can't take advantage of any of them. I was wondering if there is an official way to give feedback regarding the perks. I think a perfect one that wouldn't cost disney a dime would be to give all members a "golden" fastpass to use as they please. Or just flash your membership card to the FP person and you get on the ride. Has this been brought up before? I can't believe that there aren't perks like this available. I mean we are aloud to pool hop the pools, come on that is perk. anyone that walks in off the street can do that. Or how about a discount for the DDP? I love disney and plan on going twice a year for the forseable future but with the cost of airfare now it is really statring to hurt us financially and I think some more perks or discounts wouldn't really hurt them and could bring us there more than we already go. Thanks for listening.

You should check out this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160532)for a similar discussion.

LynneM
12-28-2009, 03:29 PM
All good replies. I obviously didn't join for the perks but whenever you read any info on dvc they point out the perks associated with being a member.

But if you read the contract....which is the only thing that counts...it's clear that NO perks are included in the contract. Nothing at all. We get the discounts, etc, at the discretion of DVC, or other business units of Disney, or other companies, when they choose to offer them.

As far as the person who commented about the pool hoping perk have you ever been asked to show ID to go swimming? That's what I meant by anyone off the street can do that.

SAB (at YC/BC) checks ID before you can enter the pool area, and the other deluxe resorts do random ID checks in the pool area. I believe I've heard of random ID checks at CBR as well, since they did a refurb on the pool.

phlo8810
12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't feel Disney "owes" us anything. I feel like we made a giant investment with them in order to vacation in deluxe resorts a couple times a year. If nothing was offered I would still be happy with my purchase, but I also would like to have a level of "special" treatment. I will take advantage of the AP discount which is great. I just feel that we are their "premeire" customers and they should do what they can to make us feel that way. Disney service is legendary and it's one of the reasons I love it there, so why not throw their
"best" customers a bone and offer them things like a golden fastpass or maybe a free tour or even a special fireworks viewing section. These things wouldn't cost them anything and would go a long way to please the dvc members. The reason I bring this up is my last three or four trips there I wanted to go on soarin' and toy story. I'm there to relax so waking up early and rushing to the parks to go on a ride isn't for me, not to mention getting the kids ready etc. By the time we go at 10-11 the fastpasses for these rides are gone or the return times are ridiculously far away. So one day this year I woke my oldest son up and we ran to DS for toy story before the park opened. 500 people in line and all 500 had the same idea as me. We got on finally and thats when the idea for this FP hit me. All the money I spend/spent there I think this is a fair request. They know by our history we are coming every year, most years twice. We buy deluxe dining and spend money in shops etc. We love it there and always will. Sorry for ranting but it's been on my mind for a while.

LynneM
12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
lBy the time we go at 10-11 the fastpasses for these rides are gone or the return times are ridiculously far away. So one day this year I woke my oldest son up and we ran to DS for toy story before the park opened. 500 people in line and all 500 had the same idea as me. We got on finally and thats when the idea for this FP hit me. All the money I spend/spent there I think this is a fair request. They know by our history we are coming every year, most years twice. We buy deluxe dining and spend money in shops etc. We love it there and always will. Sorry for ranting but it's been on my mind for a while.

It's a great idea, but it wouldn't be as 'exclusive' as it might appear. There are potentially thousands of DVC guests staying on property at any given time. It would not be unreasonable to think that a few hundred of them might show up for Toy Story Mania over a period of a few hours, and that FastPass system suddenly ain't so fast.

They can give out those FPs to folks taking the tour, as there are probably only a few dozen a day.

MidnTPK
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't feel Disney "owes" us anything. I feel like we made a giant investment with them in order to vacation in deluxe resorts a couple times a year. If nothing was offered I would still be happy with my purchase, but I also would like to have a level of "special" treatment. I will take advantage of the AP discount which is great. I just feel that we are their "premeire" customers and they should do what they can to make us feel that way. Disney service is legendary and it's one of the reasons I love it there, so why not throw their
"best" customers a bone and offer them things like a golden fastpass or maybe a free tour or even a special fireworks viewing section. These things wouldn't cost them anything and would go a long way to please the dvc members. The reason I bring this up is my last three or four trips there I wanted to go on soarin' and toy story. I'm there to relax so waking up early and rushing to the parks to go on a ride isn't for me, not to mention getting the kids ready etc. By the time we go at 10-11 the fastpasses for these rides are gone or the return times are ridiculously far away. So one day this year I woke my oldest son up and we ran to DS for toy story before the park opened. 500 people in line and all 500 had the same idea as me. We got on finally and thats when the idea for this FP hit me. All the money I spend/spent there I think this is a fair request. They know by our history we are coming every year, most years twice. We buy deluxe dining and spend money in shops etc. We love it there and always will. Sorry for ranting but it's been on my mind for a while.
Again, I think you need to adjust your thinking.

DVC members are not the best customers, they're locked in customers. Disney doesn't have to do really anything to get you to come back and buy tickets every year.

Now Disney wants to keep you happy, but special perks and unusual discounts will always be offered to people who might otherwise go elsewhere with their vacation dollars...people that have to be incentivized to go to WDW....you don't.

And I would suspect that DVC members are generally less profitable than resort guests. DVC folks eat in their unit more often, buy food off site, buy discounted tickets, and are generally more value conscious. So they are very reliable customers. I'd bet people splurging on a deluxe resort vacation with the premium dining plan are probably the most profitable (i.e. best customers) for the company.

kwhitt3202
12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
We just joined in this month and of course we did not join for the perks. I was looking on their web site and thankfull for the discounts they are giving I still think they could give a better discount on the dinning plans then what they are. The discount on the annual passes is great. I agree with the NOT giving golden FP. It would defeat the purpose of FP. An alturnitive is like they did with YOMD and the dream fast pass you check in and are aloted one per ride only and can still use you park ticket to get regular FP.

phlo8810
12-29-2009, 11:27 AM
That's funny my wife keeps saying the same thing about too many dvcers using FP at once. Love the idea of one per ride though

mdhiggin
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
We enjoyed the little perks at our Community Hall. Free movie rentals and free board games to borrow. They also had PS2, plenty of coloring and activities scheduled throughout the day. We made the Mickey tie-dye Ts. They are very cute, and I may use them at birthday parties for a fun thing to make for my girls.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Again, I think you need to adjust your thinking.

DVC members are not the best customers,

And I would suspect that DVC members are generally less profitable than resort guests. DVC folks eat in their unit more often, buy food off site, buy discounted tickets, and are generally more value conscious. So they are very reliable customers. I'd bet people splurging on a deluxe resort vacation with the premium dining plan are probably the most profitable (i.e. best customers) for the company.

In the purely short term view that is probably correct. In a given trip Disney makes more off that family at the Deluxe resort with the premium dining plan. BUT, does that family go every year, sometimes twice, spending a pretty fair amount of $$ each time? And will they continue to do so for the next 30 yrs or so?
Maybe, maybe not...

While I don't think Disney OWES anything special to DVCers, it seems to me that a long term strategic view would suggest not taking that group totally for granted either.

But, in today's corporate world long range thinking doesn't seem to extend any further than the release of the next earnings report. :(

thatkindofday
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
While the discounts are nice, we joined for the sole purpose of never having to pay for another room when we go. It makes it much easier for us to go. If we get the annual pass, the only thing we have to pay for is transportation there and food. Like that, we can go whenever we want without having to worry about saving for months to be able to go. We've been 3 times since we joined DVC and have never regretted it. We are actually looking to buy more points because we are so happy with it.