PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on writing a book?? Help!

MickeyMousse
12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I am in the process, along w.my DS12, of putting a story of his to paper. But, I have no idea of how to get his story to a publisher or anything. I can not give too much info out about his story, but it is something he told me when he was 3 y/o and I was pregnant w/his little brother. It's all about babies and is such a heartwarming take I never forgot it-and I think that so many moms and moms to be would love his story...I just have no idea where to begin! Any suggestions, guidance and expertise would be greatly appreciated!!! Many thanks!!!

SBETigg
12-26-2009, 08:58 PM
It's not easy. I'm a novelist. Four books out with major publishers and one on the way (out in April) and it's still not easy.

If it's non-fiction, you need a solid proposal (outline and sample chapters), and then you can start querying agents. If it's fiction, you need to finish the book and then it helps to have a synopsis and sample chapters (for longer books) and a strong query letter (your introduction stating who you are, what you have written, and asking them to take a look) to try to get an agent to represent your work. Without an agent, you're going to have a really tough time selling it yourself. You'll still have a tough time getting an agent. You have to be dedicated and prepared for lots of no before you hear that magic yes.

The difficulty is in being able to set yourself apart. What makes your story different from every other one out there? What makes you uniquely qualified to write it? Everyone has a story. Everyone has that story from their child that they want to share and solidly believe will make a difference to others. This is wonderful and it might be true, but not every one will make it to be a published book. Now, of course, there is self-publishing and a lot of small presses willing to take more chances. It all depends on what you're writing and I don't know a lot about the children's market. I write adult fiction. I got started by researching the market, finding out what agents were interested in the kind of book I wrote, what publishers might be interested in publishing, and then how to go about it. There's research involved-- you can start with writer's market books in your library or bookstore reference section. Some of these books, like Jay Herman's Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers, can help you figure out how to go about the marketing. You can PM me with more specific questions and I will try to help you if I can.

MickeyMousse
12-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Thank you for sharing your expertise, SBE Tigg. I plan on visiting my library for those books you suggested. I have also obtained self publishing info too. This is far from my current career (medical) so I am at a total loss of where I need to begin with this new venture and am grateful for your insight. I will definitely be in contact w/you via PM. :thumbsup: