PDA

View Full Version : contemporary

Disney-Nut
12-26-2009, 02:40 PM
now that the contemporary is all redone, is it family friendly or more suited for business?

Disney-Nut
12-27-2009, 09:24 AM
i would like to stay there in a couple years but someone told me its more for bussiness and conventions not for familys???????/

LynneM
12-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Whoever told you that was mistaken, CR is every bit as family-friendly as the other resorts, and is packed full of families all the time, just like the other resorts. It was one of the two original WDW resorts (along with Poly), and has always been a favorite for families, because it's a 10 minute walk to MK, has the monorail, Chef Mickey's, lots of recreational activities, etc.

Maybe the fact that CR has convention facilities made them think it was a business hotel. But so do many other Disney resorts (GF, BW, YC/BC, CSR).

mom2morgan
12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
depends on how you look at it. All Disney hotels are DEFINITELY family friendly (and the fact that the Contemporary is withing walking distance of the Magic Kingdom and has Chef Mickey's restaurant right in it are both VERY child friendly!) but it DOES have convention facilities and is recommended as a good location for the business traveller. Honestly, that puts me off - I have to travel for business so much that I don't want to stay in ANY facility that brings that to mind - same reason I don't like Coronado Springs - I do NOT want to see other guests walking around with lap tops and Bluetooths ;-) But I'd say in your case look at lots of photos and decide on if you like the theming. Personally, I find the Contemporary stark and cold, but it has LOTS of devoted fans who love the sleek lines, modern decor, and elegance.

Disney-Nut
12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
ive stayed there before and loved it. my brother went to disney last year and said the contemporary is not for familys any more and i argued telling him it is still. just wanted to get some other peoples take so i can show him that once AGAIN I am right.

mom2morgan
12-27-2009, 07:59 PM
ive stayed there before and loved it. my brother went to disney last year and said the contemporary is not for familys any more and i argued telling him it is still. just wanted to get some other peoples take so i can show him that once AGAIN I am right.

LOL - well, I think your brother is out-to-lunch on this one! The only changes the the Contemporary were some lovely renovations to update the look - nothing that would make it less family friendly!

jmj18
12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
We stayed in April...I did not like it at all other than it was minutes away from the MK. I would much rather stay at the Poly. There were many families there but I did get that business feeling. My husband felt the total opposite. He loved it. I will not be staying there again. My favorite is the Poly and I would stay there all the time with Wilderness Lodge running a close second.

I guess it's all one's opinion.

KylesMom
12-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Although we haven't stayed at CR for a few years, we walk through it frequently on our way from WL to MK. We've always felt that it's a family-friendly resort and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if our budget would allow.

As far as Bluetooths, (and advanced cell phones et al), you'll see them all over the parks and resorts . . . not necessarily at the hotels you may think are for conventioneers.

With the addition of Bay Lake Tower, I don't know how this would take away from the family-friendliness of The Contemporary Resort. Rather, I think it adds to it!

beksy
12-28-2009, 08:30 AM

LOL...I love it! That's a worthy cause except usually I'm arguing with my dad. We are staying at the CR for the first time and like it for the theme park view, which I think families would enjoy, and little kids would love watching the monorail going past inside the building. My big kid (21 year-old sister) is obsessed with Chef Mickey's and is looking forward to being in the same building as Mickey! I think it is still family-friendly, just not as over-the-top as some of the values are. :thumbsup: