PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space - Mission to Mars ?

Mackflava99
12-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I am not sure this is the right placement for this thread but....

Last weekend I saw a movie on TV caled " Mission to Mars" it starred Gary Sinese, Timothy Hutton, jerry o'Connell and Don Cheadle etc...
a.) Sinese had the same goofy hair "cut" as Mission Space
b.) the spaceship looked the same, especially the rotating section found in mission space queue area.
c.) alot of small tidbits reminded me of the ride.

Now the story went off on another tangent with aliens etc- but it was a pretty good flick up until the weird ending.

It was done in 2000

Is it related to the ride?

Strmchsr
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
From my understanding, it was loosely based on the original Disney Mission to Mars ride (closed in Disneyland in 1992 and WDW in 1993). The Mission:Space project took some elements from it. I know it was distributed by Touchstone Pictures, which is a Disney subsidiary, but it was not a direct Disney release where they promoted it with the ride like POTC, HM, and TOT.

SBETigg
12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think this had a connection to Disney rides in any way, even loosely, though it is possible since it's a Touchstone film and has the same title as a former ride. But from what I've read, this is a remake of a 1950 film called Rocketship X-M, so the nod to Disney (if any was intended) might be in title alone.

Mackflava99
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
But its very strange how the circular ship design shown in the Ride's lobby is exactly the same as the movie and Sinise has the same hair and clothes,
Its too much of a coincidence.