PDA

View Full Version : Us Poly People might switch to GF, tell me about Sugar loaf!

mouseketeer mom
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
We are die hard Poly fans. We will be going to WDW for my DD's 16th BD this Spring. We haven't booked yet. Birthday girl calls the resort. She suggested GF, Sugar Loaf. Sugar Loaf because we enjoy club level, and prefer an outer bldg vs. the Main Bldg. Seems more our speed.
I think I remember seeing Sugar Loaf, its outside by the quiet pool, I believe..??..Are there any views with the lounge? Is it as friendly for families as the Poly is? We are usually ground floor people at the Poly, can you just "walk out" of the ground floor rooms at Sugar Loaf or are they all Balcony enclosed?

jonahbear2006
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
yes sugar loaf is by the quiet pool. I dont know about the views, though. It's a great location, I think. we also enjoy concierge and this placement is better for kids with gasparilla grill and the pool nearby.

mickeefan
12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
We are Poly people too. We stayed in Sugarloaf in December 2008. I don't recall any view like at the Poly,but we really liked it there.We were ground floor fairly close to the lounge. Our room was balcony enclosed with shrubbery on the other side. We looked out toward the pool and to the left was the boat dock. The only comment I have was in the evening they would keep the coffee in a thermal container which did not stay real hot, where the Poly has the machine. We had a wonderful time there would stay there again in a moment's notice. Cast members were outstanding.

syndrome
12-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Long story short--Disney had messed up our ressies and to make it up to us they bumped us from our reg room at GF to one at Sugar Loaf. It was amazing! All of the CMs were outstanding. The atmosphere in that building is very special.

pox24
12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Take me with you!:thumbsup:

mom2morgan
12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Long story short--Disney had messed up our ressies and to make it up to us they bumped us from our reg room at GF to one at Sugar Loaf. It was amazing! All of the CMs were outstanding. The atmosphere in that building is very special.

*sigh* - if only I could get them to mess up my reservations like that... ;-)

TammiMcMan
12-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I think I remember seeing Sugar Loaf, its outside by the quiet pool, I believe..??..Yes, it is very close to the courtyard pool.

Are there any views with the lounge?The lounge is inside the lobby, so there are no views at all.

Is it as friendly for families as the Poly is?There are kid friendly foods, but much of it is a bit on the gourmet side. That being said, the CM's have always been wonderful with our kids, even when they were small.

We are usually ground floor people at the Poly, can you just "walk out" of the ground floor rooms at Sugar Loaf or are they all Balcony enclosed?All enclosed.

mouseketeer mom
12-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks Tammi!

SBETigg
12-26-2009, 09:31 PM
You can get a great view of the fireworks at the marina (straight out from Gasparilla Grill). The kids might also enjoy watching fireworks from the courtyard pool-- no castle view, but can see the higher fireworks while swimming (my kids loved that). Your best bet for the Electric Water Pageant is to go to the Boca Chica or dock area near Narcoossee's. And if you get a marina view room, you might actually be able to see where the EWP floats go in and out for the night. We could see that from Conch Key and was fun, though I'm not sure if your view is blocked by Sago Key from Sugar Loaf. Enjoy!

javamama
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
So glad I saw this, this is what we're doing too after our nightmare at the Poly last spring. I just don't know what area to stay in after being spoiled in Tonga at the the Poly. My dh has always wanted to stay at the GF, so now it's going to be his turn, and a huge surprise from me:secret: For either this September or Novemeber I can't decide on that either..I'm just a mess about it...I'm thinking after Thanksgiving! Tammi you'll have to be my assistant on this one, since you are the GF afficiando:mickey:

TammiMcMan
12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Tammi you'll have to be my assistant on this one, since you are the GF afficiando:mickey:;) I'll do my best.

SurferStitch
12-29-2009, 11:28 PM
We got a free upgrade to Sugar Loaf in 2008, and it was amazing. Great staff, great lounge, and a fabulous stay! We loved grabbing a drink in the evening (I don't like cordials, so they kept a bottle of wine there for me), walking out the back to the marina, and watching the fireworks. It was so magical!