PDA

View Full Version : traveling to NYC

4myprincesses
12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Thinking of driving to NYC with my mom and my girls (age 8 and 9.) We have never been before and will be meeting my sister once there (she will be traveling though with a show.)

What is our best way to get into the city from Ohio. Drive to NJ and take the train? Neither of us are keen on driving a car around in the city, we live in the country and driving in Columbus can make us nervous.

Any and all advice is welcome!

NJGIRL
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
The last thing you want to do is to drive in NYC. Driving in the city is terrible and parking is limited no to mention very very expensive. You can drive to NJ and take the train from there but have you looked into taking a train from Ohio? It may be quicker than driving part of the way.

ILoveLegos
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't have advice about how to reach the city from Ohio for you, but once in the immediate NYC area - you really don't need a car.

I'm from the western NJ suburbs and I'd rather take the NJ Transit train into the city than drive any day (unless I have to make multiple stops in different areas of the city).

There are plenty of taxis (a sea of yellow cab in Manhattan alone), buses & subways and don't forget walking! Parking cost an arm and a leg and can be a pain to find close to tourist-y areas at times. This time of year the traffic & grid lock is pretty bad too.

Have a nice time in the Big Apple!

4myprincesses
12-20-2009, 10:29 PM
No driving in the city is A-Ok with me :)

We did look into Amtrak from Toledo, but the price/time factor just doesn't pay off. 15 hours on a train for $400 when we can drive it in 9 isn't too good for a weekend trip.

Trying to figure out the NJ transit and the subway has my head spinning. We've never used public transit...lots of firsts for us and we can not wait!

kakn7294
12-21-2009, 08:31 AM
My DH and I went to NYC last summer. We traveled on I-80 through PA into NJ. We stayed at a Fairfield Inn in Parsippany, NJ and drove to the Willowbrook Mall where we caught a bus into NYC. Parking was free and the bus was $6 each way - much cheaper than parking in NYC! I found the public transit system very confusing as well but we survived it!

Scar
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Where are you staying?

4myprincesses
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
My sister is arranging the hotel so I do not know the name right now. I do remember her saying that from Manhatten we would take the 5 to the 7 and get off at 33rd? Means little to nothing to me, LOL! She said she would print out specifics for us if we end up going. Those directions would be if we drive to NJ and take a train into the city.

I can't help but wonder if the weekend after Christmas is crazy in NYC and if the weekend after New Year's would be any better.

Zippy 1
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
The weekend after Christmas is very crazy in the city. A lot of tourist in town for the holidays. There is so much to see during this time of year. By the weekend after New Years things should have quieted down.

Scar
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM
I do remember her saying that from Manhatten we would take the 5 to the 7 and get off at 33rd?This tells me you are staying in Queens. The 5 subway goes through Grand Central Terminal and not Penn Station. From what I remember, you cannot take a train from NJ directly to Grand Central, I supposed that may have changed though. Anyway, if the hotel you are staying at has free or cheap parking, I would just drive there. Driving in Queens is eiasier than Manhattan and you would be on main highways until the last mile or so. Remember, if you park in NJ you'll have to carry your luggage around and transfer at least 3 times and it will take several hours more than if you just drive directly there.

As far as being crazy, don't worry about it. NYC is crazy all the time. Don't compare crowds in NYC with WDW or Washington DC or any other vacation destination. Most people in NYC live or work there and are just going about their daily lives (except of course New Years eve. But even then just stay away from Times Square and you'll be fine, unless you want that maddness.)

4myprincesses
12-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. Trip cancelled, though :(

My sister got a job :) Good reason to cancel!

She is in her last year of getting her masters (stage management) so any bit helps. We are now planning ahead for the end of March and planning to take more than 2 days in the city. Hoping to take in the Statue of Liberty, and of course the American Girl store (the girls are saving up the Christmas and Birthday cash for their first AG doll.)

Thanks again, we still can't wait to go...but will have to wait a few months and do it right!