PDA

View Full Version : The Great Movie Ride

BlueTinky
12-19-2009, 07:24 PM
In a book I am read, it says that the Great Movie can still be ridden with the possibility of either the gangster scene and the cowboy scene. I thought the cowboy scene hadn't been done in quite some time, but this book clearly states that it's still a possibility. It's a book that was released within the last year. Have I been thinking the wrong thing all this time and never been lucky enough to get the cowboy scene or is the book very wrong?

joanna71985
12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
No, both scenes are still performed. However, the Gangster show is the one performed more (the Bandit show only runs certain hours, and not all the time).

lighteningqueen
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
We were just there last week and rode it 2 times during our nine days. I have to say that they have girls in the gangster scene and its not as good as men and they had some english girl that you couldn't understand plus their mikes were turned down so low no one heard them but the first car. They do stop at the western scene and let you watch the shoot out. This ride really needs a refurb... They need classics like grapes of Wrath and some of the better movies. That space scene is the boringest of all. I have no clue what movie that is from

BlueTinky
12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
No, both scenes are still performed. However, the Gangster show is the one performed more (the Bandit show only runs certain hours, and not all the time).
Do you know how often?

I've noticed the blackened area and never figured out why Disney didn't try to cover it up if they stopped doing this scene.

CAS
12-19-2009, 11:40 PM
That space scene is the boringest of all. I have no clue what movie that is from

Really? It's from Alien, one of the most popular horror movie franchises in modern times. If you've seen Alien, Aliens, etc...you can be assured that they're not boring. :) Just seeing the ship segment of the ride approaching gives me goose bumps!

CaptainDisney
12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
If you'd like to ride a bandit show, simply go during a peak time and ask to be sat in an "A show" (as opposed to a "B show") when you enter the loading area.

As was already mentioned, the A show is only run when it's busy. Try at some point in the middle of the day. Good luck!

MinnieMommie
12-20-2009, 06:56 AM
We almost always get the gangster scene when we ride. Can't remember how long it's been since seeing the western scene. :mickey:

IamBelle
12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
For me, the western scene almost seemed like an urban legend, we never had seen it. That is until this past summer, when we got the A-show for the first time, and loved it!! We didn't realize it was the western scene until we got to the gangster part and the stop light was still green. I loved the western scene, the fire was fantastic and I was glad how different it was. We tried to get it again, went on 5 times, but only got it once. But I do know people who say they have got the A show most of the time and rarely see the gangster one.

Also, to comment about Alien, it always gives me the creeps. Looking at Sigorney Weaver's shifty eyes while waiting for the alien just sets the whole "anxiety" mood, then the alien pops up in two different places...scariest part of the whole ride for me!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
We've had both scenes a couple of times. On our last trip it was cool, we were getting the Western scene, but DD hadn't yet seen it, so she started getting upset when we went trhough the Gangster scene without the usual "stuff", she was afraid something was going wrong :mickey:

#1donaldfan
12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
We were just there last week and rode it 2 times during our nine days. I have to say that they have girls in the gangster scene and its not as good as men and they had some english girl that you couldn't understand plus their mikes were turned down so low no one heard them but the first car. They do stop at the western scene and let you watch the shoot out. This ride really needs a refurb... They need classics like grapes of Wrath and some of the better movies. That space scene is the boringest of all. I have no clue what movie that is from

....we really liked the girl gangster, she was "meaner" or maybe just to us, more believable....not "over acted"....at least that was our take on her....plus, our last trip we had the luck to see both versions....it was really nice .... :cool:

Jared
12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I saw the western scene last December during the Christmas holiday for the first time in my life. So it still exists, but only during the busy seasons.

mdhiggin
12-20-2009, 04:48 PM
We saw the cowboy one last week. When we passed by the gangster area, I was wondering what was going on. I thought they just changed it. I didn't know there were two options. The alien didn't come down from the ceiling either. Our speakers were too loud. I kept plugging my ears every time the girl talked.

mom2morgan
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Neat! I've only ridden it once, and didn't realize there was the possibility of a different scene!

Belster
12-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Still waiting to see the "A" scene too!! Did not know you could ask to ride "A" so I will do that for sure on my next trip!!! Thanks Intercot!

DigitalDaredevil
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I haven't seen the Cowboy scene in years. I will have to try for it next time.
I love the Aliens scene. The way it looks and smells. It really makes you feel the "coldness" of being in a space ship.

phillydan
12-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I have never been through the Western scene in almost 15 times riding. Ironically, when we were there in August, it started raining and my son wanted to go again, but my daughters wanted to go to Idol. I took the girls to Idol and my wife took my son - you guessed it: they had the Western scene! :mad:

Disney4us2
12-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Neat! I've only ridden it once, and didn't realize there was the possibility of a different scene!

:ditto: I will have to try for the A show on our next trip.

okw2006
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
In a book I am read, it says that the Great Movie can still be ridden with the possibility of either the gangster scene and the cowboy scene. I thought the cowboy scene hadn't been done in quite some time, but this book clearly states that it's still a possibility. It's a book that was released within the last year. Have I been thinking the wrong thing all this time and never been lucky enough to get the cowboy scene or is the book very wrong?

We got the cowboy scene for the first time when we were there in Nov.

like2workout
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
i was there in october and also got the cowboy scene. it was the first time in a loong time that i had seen that one.

Granny Jill A
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
IThis ride really needs a refurb...

This is the one sentence I agree with, completely.

I also think the gangster/cowboy stuff is past its' prime. Some of the narrators are VERY good and some not so much.

It's one attraction I can skip with no problem.

Altair
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
So they can't mix it up and make it only the cowboys some times and only the gangsters at other times?:confused:

lindique
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I noticed that they used to run the "A" version only when it was crowded enough to run both cars. A couple of weeks ago, I got to see it even though they were running only one car. A total and happy surprise, since it had been quite a while since I'd seen it.

Gator
12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen the cowboy scene since 2002. And the gangster scene with a girl gangster really gives me the creeps.

I've always hoped they'd have Indiana Jones pop up and do the scene. I can imagine some funny lines as he passed "himself" lifting the ark.

barbiegirl314
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow all the times I've been there and I never even knew there was a western scene!

disneykid@hrt
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen the Western side in forever! November and October aren't really peak times so maybe it does run in off-peak times? I wanna see it again!!

On our last trip we had a girl gangster- I don't have a problem with her being a woman, we're tougher anyway, but she wasn't a very good actor. She didn't seem sure of herself and so it really sucked the believability right out of the act.

2Epcot
12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
If you'd like to ride a bandit show, simply go during a peak time and ask to be sat in an "A show" (as opposed to a "B show") when you enter the loading area.

That's what we do. I'm always surprised when I hear people have never seen it, or only once or twice. I've seen both scenes on EVERY trip to the Studios. We specifically go on the ride twice to see each scene.

#1donaldfan
12-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I haven't seen the cowboy scene since 2002. And the gangster scene with a girl gangster really gives me the creeps.

I've always hoped they'd have Indiana Jones pop up and do the scene. I can imagine some funny lines as he passed "himself" lifting the ark.

....I've never really looked at it that way, but I'll bet the actors that are portrayed in various areas do get a kick outta seeing "themselves"....how about his reaction to the boulder chasing him down the ramp....:cool:

andreallybadeggs
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Asked to wait for it and got see the cowboy version last summer after a long run of gangsters. We really enjoyed it + the waiting also meant we weren't clear at the back of the "boat" so that was more fun as well. GMR is not our favorite attraction but we still like it a lot and try not to miss it. The queue is great and the ride brings back a lot of fond and funny memories for us. We rode it for the first time shortly after Studios opened and I remember the line snaking back and forth outside several loops before you could even get in the theatre. Know we waited well over an hour; happy that is no longer the case so those of you who don't like it, thanks. ;)

TheVBs
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow! I never knew there was an alternate cowboy scene. We usually pass on this ride now, but I would go on it to see what the cowboy scene is like.

TinkerBell-Bell
12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I haven't ridden the ride in over 5 years, and the only scene of it I can remember is the cowboy scene. I always enjoy the ride, it's really good if you get a good actor

joanna71985
12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
A side note- if you want to try for the Bandit show, make sure to ride GMR early (the Bandit show usually ends around 4 or so).

So they can't mix it up and make it only the cowboys some times and only the gangsters at other times?:confused:

It has to do with staffing. Plus the Bandit show is a lot more expensive to run.

Melanie
12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
For years and years, trip after trip, we only saw the bandit scene. And I'd estimate now that I've only seen the gangster scene less than 5 fives. The past summer we got bandit, but a few weeks ago we saw gangster. It was a female, and unfortunately that does take something away from the whole experience.

magicgal
12-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Of all the times I have done The Great Movie Ride, which has many many times...I have only experienced the Cowboy Scene twice...once about 10 years ago, and the most recent was this past Jan.

Altair
12-23-2009, 06:57 PM
It was a female, and unfortunately that does take something away from the whole experience.

Bonnie Parker must be rolling over in her grave at that comment :gangster: ;)

pokci
12-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, they still have both scenes. :secret:The gangster one is offered mroe often. You do NOT have to wait for peak times to see the cowboys. I was there the first week of December this year, and went to DHS on the dreariest day of the week. There was NO wait at all, it was before noon and our "tram" was half empty. We got the cowboys.

This was the first time, after maybe 15 times over the years, that I saw the cowboys so hang in there.

LudwigVonDrake
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
The gangster scene is much better than the western scene.

Arewethereyet?
12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
We just got back last weekend! We got to see both versions. It was great! It wasn't crowded at all, both times the wait was only 5 minutes. Not sure how they decide which one to run.

Kathy Jetson
12-31-2009, 11:41 PM
ds6 has been the past 3 years and we have only seen the gangster scene next year I'm going to ask them for the western one.