PDA

View Full Version : Changing an Email Address?

DVC2004
12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
If we change our email address, will all emails that go to that address be rejected? This is such a pain. We do have 2 email addresses but I want to get rid of one. The problem is, we have alot of emails that come from various places (shopping, restaurants, etc) that we like to receive and I don't want to have to track down each and every place to update with anew address. Someone- actually a relative I have mentioned here before- has been harrassing us and is using that email address to sign us up for voicemail service, "distasteful" memberships, all sorts of wierd things. I am constantly having to email, call, etc these places to cancel these "services" we have been fraudulently signed up for. This is happening every week for the past month and we are fairly certain it is the family member because there is certain personal info provided that only relatives would know. It's definitely no one in our home/immediate household. So, the only way I can thik to stop this is to get a new email.

BigRedDad
12-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Depending on your email carrier, you can have emails forwarded to your new address and have it respond to the sender with the new email address. If your email provider does not provide the service, there are services that do this for you.

Do a Google search on "changing email addresses".

Ruprect
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately even if you forward all your emails from the account you want to close to your new account you'll still get the undesirable emails.

You have a couple of options. You can set up an auto-responder to contact you at your new email address. Most of the emails you don't want will be sent from a dummy address anyway but that isn't guaranteed.

Best thing I can tell you to do is keep both emails and log in to the one you want to get rid of occasionally and reply to anyone you still want to stay in touch with to email you at your new email address from now on. You could probably setup some filters also to forward emails from people in your contact list to your new email address.

DizneyRox
12-19-2009, 09:18 AM
First, make sure you get something like a g-mail acocunt. Something that you won't need to change if you move, etc.

I'd keep both open for a month or so, change the ones that you feel like carrying over to the new one, then I would either abandon the old one or close it. If you close it, they will get notified it doesn't exist, if you don't things just go into a block hole. I prefer the first, it might cut down on some of the crud you need to stop.

I like the features available on g-mail for spam, etc. I actually keep a few e-mail addresses for friends/family and then one for online transactions. Keeps the good one less cluttered with spam.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I like the features available on g-mail for spam, etc.

I started to switch all of my email address accounts away from my ISP and over to GMail, until I realized that you could not turn the GMail SPAM filter off, you were stuck with it being ON no matter what. I have every SPAM filter turned off with AT&T because they were blocking legit emails, and simply can not even consider switching over to any email provider that requires SPAM filtering be left ON :(

PS: The reason SPAM filtering was really bad for me was because I access my email exclusively via POP3 & Outlook Express. I never visit any webmail page, so I never see my SPAM folder...

DizneyRox
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I started to switch all of my email address accounts away from my ISP and over to GMail, until I realized that you could not turn the GMail SPAM filter off, you were stuck with it being ON no matter what.
Did g-mail ever block a legit e-mail as spam? I have yet to find anything in my spam folder that wasn't legitimate spam. It let a few things through that Outlook flagged as spam that weren't, but I've never had it block a legitimate e-mail. Maybe I'm lucky...

Goofy4TheWorld
12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Did g-mail ever block a legit e-mail as spam? I have yet to find anything in my spam folder that wasn't legitimate spam. It let a few things through that Outlook flagged as spam that weren't, but I've never had it block a legitimate e-mail. Maybe I'm lucky...

I never gave them a chance. I have no desire to have to look at my email via webmail to check for SPAM, so I just left the addresses registered, but never used.

Ruprect
12-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I never gave them a chance. I have no desire to have to look at my email via webmail to check for SPAM, so I just left the addresses registered, but never used.

I've made the switch and I now access my email (from computer) solely via the web interface. I love the functionality of GMail's web app. If one of your concerns is offline access you don't need to worry about that with GMail because you can enable offline access so that if you go to the website offline it will still load your previously loaded emails.

I've been on GMail since the invite only days and have never had the spam filter block a legit email. I check it periodically and it is near 100% effective.

Tink1
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Does gmail still thread emails? (where if you get a new email from a person it attaches to their other emails)?

Any way around that?

Nanc

Ruprect
12-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Does gmail still thread emails? (where if you get a new email from a person it attaches to their other emails)?

Any way around that?

Nanc

Yes...and it doesn't look like there is a way around it...but I kind of like it that way so it doesn't bother me.