PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space vs Horizons

jclightchasr
12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I am curious to see how these two would stand up against one another. IF you could have one in place of the other.

Here are the poll rules:
1. If you vote for one or the other, please bear in mind you are in essence saying that you would permanently remove the other attraction for this one to be in its place.
2. If you are undecided please state why.

Have fun and above all be curteous to your fellow intercotees.

KAJUNKING
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
although i know horizons was such a great epcot classic dark ride i really enjoy mission space as well, so i cant decide :mickey:

BigThunderFan
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Mission: Space was my favorite ride when I last visited! Now that may change since we get to try Soarin! and Toy Story, but I still think it is a great ride and the technology used is amazing. :number1:

Stu29573
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I voted to get Horizons back even though my wife and I went on the "no barf" version of Mission Space and actually liked it. Still, it was no Horizons...

Gator
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I never got to experience Horizons. That being said, whatever it was, it can't be as cool as Mission:Space. Although not kid friendly, it's very cool. The theming is remarkable and the ride itself it a real kick in the pants. I can't imagine Epcot without it.

jnfr2424
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
My signature says how I voted!

wdwfansince75
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
You might as well ask me which of my children or grandchildren is my favorite! These two rides are among my favorite attractions. Yes, I really miss Horizons, and have strong memories of trips past, but I love Mission Space as well. The difference to me was that my memories of Horizons are mostly of rides with DW and our kids, when our kids were pre-teens or teenagers, and my rides on MS have been with our kids as adults, and with our grandkids. DW doesn't even want to try it.

handmaidenofprincesses
12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Horizons is one of the few rides which I remember clearly from my childhood, and I would do anything to ride it again! At least I have the ride audio on my iPod... Bring Horizons back!

Bellewannabe
12-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I vote for Horizons. Space has not lived up to the hype and the residual motion sickness has not gotten me back on after initial ride 10 trips ago.

EPCOT84
12-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I voted can't decide. The mission space ride is a fun amusement park ride and the outdoor part of the pavillion is beautiful, a vast improvement over the Horizons building. It helps draw crowds. :thumbsup: That said, INSIDE, Horizons wins for the concept of what lies ahead, promising us the future and making us feel so great about this world by the end of the ride. The music and scenes of Horizons ride compared to the claustrophobic Mission Space? - no contest. Horizons.:cloud9:

bxrluv
12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Horizons. I'm all about nostalgia and I even get nauseaous on the toned down version of Mission Space.:sick:

pittsburgh12
12-20-2009, 01:49 AM
HORIZONS by far!!! Remember how excited I used to get when I was a kid and at the end of the ride you got to choose if you wanted to be In Space, Underwater, or in the Desert!

MinnieMommie
12-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Call me sentimental but I really miss Horizon...enough said :mickey:

garymacd
12-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I always liked how they managed to tie the "families" together between Spaceship Earth and Horizons. I think they were in something else, but I can't remember right now.

I also love Mission:Space. I think it is an incredible use of interaction, technology, cinematics and mind game all rolled into one really neat package.

JPL
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I loved Horizons but tearing down Mission Space seems highly unlikely I would rather have them build an updated version of Horizons on another site.

PopeCharming
12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Mission: Space is a great ride, a technological marvel, and a real hoot.

But I want my Horizons back. It may not have been thrill-a-minute, but it was thoughtful, realistic, intriguing, subtle, and captured the spirit of Epcot better than anything else in the park (and I include Spaceship Earth and Illuminations in that).

diz_girl
12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
I also voted to bring back Horizons. I have yet to ride MS, even though I've been to WDW three times since it opened. I get motion sickness on some rides and I'm a bit claustrophobic and I get migraines, so MS may not be for me. But maybe I'll try the green version someday.

Granted, I'm not a complete wimp, as I love EE and SM, but I have chickened out of ToT and RnR. But I plan to ride them the next time I'm in WDW and we go to MGM (last trip we didn't) and I'm not pregnant at the time.

DisneyFr33k
12-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Even though I got :sick: in MS when I first went on it (before they had green vs orange), I voted to keep it. We've gone on green several times since and it has become one of my family's favorites! I just watched the Horizon's ride on the internet to refresh my memory on the ride. There was a reason I didn't remember it - a bit boring and paralleled the old Spaceship Earth. Mission Space offers Epcot more in the area of thrill rides - which it in needs IMOHO.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow, what a tough decision...

Horizons always was one of our favorites and carries lots of great memories of trips when my daughter and niece were little. It was a thought provoking, laid back attraction that everyone could enjoy.

MS obviously is much more intense and can only be enjoyed by a limited audience. I ride it w/ my daughter, but due to some surgery she had a few years ago my wife can't go on it. So it isn't able to be the same kind of family experience for us.

Taking everything into consideration, I guess my vote would be to keep both. MS is a great example of modern day, high-tech "imagineering". But Horizons was classic Disney and there should ALWAYS be room for an attraction like that.

I don't think EPCOT was ever meant to be all about "thrill rides", but rather a place for the mind, especially the imagination, to grow and expand.

Just my :twocents:

Joannelet
12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Everyone could enjoy Horizons. It was one of my favorites as a kid! When the park opened, there wasn't that many things for kids to do there back in the day like there is now.....Horizons became one of our MUST do for all four of us kids. We miss it dearly :(
Mission Space is fun but its no Horizons.

Goes4FastPass
12-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Horizons was one of too may "ride and look" attractions of early EPCOT - and the wrong subject - The Future - to have looking like the past.

A refurb of Horizons would have been changing the scenes but you would still ride by and look.

Mission Space unfairly gets a bad rap - it's a classy attraction.

Laughin' place
12-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I , too, miss Horizons, and wish I could take DW and sons on it (they all missed it or were too young to remember). I am a fan , and wish the classic , or a refurb, could appear.
That being said, I dreamed of being an astronaut, and childhood trips to Tomorrowland were followed by a trip to Canaveral. I LOVED the cheesy old "rocket to the moon/mars" ride in Tomorrowland, and M:S is an awesome replacement.

LoriMistress
12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I love M:S! I know, I'm one of the few that actually loves the attraction.

coneygoil
12-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Horizons was such a great ride! I'd choose that over Mission Space. But, if I had to choose between bringing Horizons or World of Motion back, I'd choose the latter!

DDuck66
12-28-2009, 11:40 AM
O voted to leave Mission Space..I never got the chance to see Horizons, but I love MS. Of course I am a big space nut as well.

GAN
12-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Horizons was a great ride and we loved it, however it was most attractive to the hardcore fans -people unfamiliar with the philosophy of EPCOT thought it was slow and basically lame. They needed something to attract younger/new visitors and MS has delivered. Of course, we're hoping that soon they will build a park that includes the extinct attractions that we all loved -naturally, Horizons would be a headliner.

GrmGrninGost
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Mission Space is very cool! Still, TEAR IT DOWN and bring back Horizons! To me WDW is a place for people to be together as families. Mission Space tends to divide families where Horizons brought them together.