PDA

View Full Version : January is bad for refurbs

Gator
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I've already posted about having Splash Mountain closed for January. That was upsetting, because my daughter is finally the height to hit this attraction she's been wanting to ride from 2 other trips.

But now, it's the Castle being refurbed. Yip. Starting the 12th, they'll be refurbing the front of it just like they did the back in September. I sincerely hope it doesn't look as bad as I think it's going to. The moat will be drained and those painted curtains will go up. I guess I'll have to dream and imagine that it looks majestic this time around.

I suppose that low crowds in January means lots of refurbs. Just wish it wasn't my favorite ride AND the castle.

DizneyRox
12-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, everyone seems to praise the off-season as the time to go, yet forget that off-season is when they do a lot of the maintenance. Give me peak season any da y of the week. Nothing beats the the extended hours, infrequent ride closures, etc...

Yes, there's the crowds, but most aren't the brightest and there's ways to beat the crowds. Nothing you can do if the gates are shut on Splash Mountain....

wjrhw
12-18-2009, 09:31 AM
For us, the last few January trips were crowded as well. The waits were longer than our August trips and the hours were shorter. 2006 was last year that January felt like low crowds for us.

It seems like they work like the banks. It is supposed to be slow season, so they lower the amount of cast members and don't use all the ride vehicles (Great Movie Ride takes forever in January) so that there are lines all year.

We're going again this January, but I don't expect low crowds so I won't be upset to see 30-40 waits for the Haunted Mansion. (I actually saw this on two January trips and I was very surprised.)

Gator
12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
We're going again this January, but I don't expect low crowds so I won't be upset to see 30-40 waits for the Haunted Mansion. (I actually saw this on two January trips and I was very surprised.)

Man, I hate to hear that. Early December was getting to crowded, so we wanted to try January. Still, Crowds in the winter are better than crowds in the summer. I just hate that they're fixing two cool attractions at one park at the same time.

cer
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
NO!!!!!

I cannot believe they are doing this!

And before everyone starts jumping on the "It has to be done sometime" wagon, I know that. I get it.

I just cannot believe that I am going to Magic Kingdom and NOT see the castle. Could any of you? No pics of it. No pics of the kids or family in front of it.....really what is the point of even watching Wishes?

What a disappointment. :(

KAJUNKING
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
wow, thats terrible, we go in the off season and have had to suffer the same things, although i have never seen the castle covered up, good luck

cer
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, there's the crowds, but most aren't the brightest ...

:funny:

I think that is one of the funniest things I have read on here in a while....

Thanks for making me smile, especially after the news of the Castle refurb....

BigThunderFan
12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me!!:mad:

Well I guess I am glad I got pics of my family in front of the castle from 2 years ago. Oh except my daughter was so young she doesn't remember it. The ONE THING she wanted to see was the castle. I can't believe this. I love how they announce this ONE MONTH AHEAD. I would have gone last week if I would have known this. We were torn between Dec & Jan scheduling and I waited till the last minute to book so we could make sure what would be closed. I really wish they could have announced this prior to 4 weeks ahead of time so people who spend so much of the money that we don't really have can plan better.

I am VERY upset about this.:mad::mad::mad:

CaptSmee
12-18-2009, 01:41 PM
the moat will be drained??? where did you get this information? what would the point be? put in a new ride system around the castle?!?:confused:

Gator
12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I love how they announce this ONE MONTH AHEAD. I would have gone last week if I would have known this. I am VERY upset about this.:mad::mad::mad:

I know what you mean. I sent off another scathing letter to WDW guest services - explaining that this should have been posted 6 months ago, not 4 weeks in advance.

As far as where I got the info, it's on the news board {elsewhere on web}. I'm hoping that the painted curtain only goes up part way so it doesn't completely ruing the photos. But I was also hoping that Splash wouldn't be closed for my trip, and that didn't go so well.

BigThunderFan
12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I also saw that on the other board (I went searching on every Disney related website I know to find out more info). I saw the pics from the back side refurb, not as bad as I imagined at first. I only hope the front will be like that as well and not too distracting.:(

MushuGrl
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Could be worse...they could be doing the Castle Cake again.

I'm assuming CRT is still cool though?

DVC2004
12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
For the longest time we went the first week in Feb- mostly because it is the dead of winter where we live and we have cabin fever. But I was always disappointed with the refurbs and early closing hours. I felt like we had nothing to do at night after the parks closed. We go now at various times- still off peak- but not in Feb anymore to WDW.

BMan62
12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
the moat will be drained??? where did you get this information? what would the point be? put in a new ride system around the castle?!?:confused:

There are electrical conduits in the moat along with a number of spotlights...I would think this would be periodic maintenance or replacement.

cer
12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Could be worse...they could be doing the Castle Cake again.

You are right...the castle cake would be worse.

TheVBs
12-19-2009, 09:38 AM
So sorry to hear about this for all of you going in January. :( I hope you still have a magical vacation!

It is really hard to balance a desire to go off season with a desire to have access to everything. We always used to go in early Sept. and for two trips in a row (two years apart) the Haunted Mansion was closed for refurbs. We were so sad. But, it was such a great time of year to go that we still did it up until our oldest started 2nd grade. I'd like to try an Oct. trip now and go to the Halloween party. :mickey:

KLD
12-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Now you can add Living with the Land and Test Track to the list of Jan refurbs.

I love how these announcements are made less than a month prior!!

Gator
12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Now you can add Living with the Land and Test Track to the list of Jan refurbs.

I love how these announcements are made less than a month prior!!

I suppose they've got execs somewhere saying, "There's one born every minute."

Polynesian Dweller
12-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I suppose they've got execs somewhere saying, "There's one born every minute."

Oh please. Like they have time to do that. ANd why would they look at customers like that.They have to do maintenance and maintenance can't always be planned out six months ahead. Believe me, I was a department head on the "services side of an organization" and all of us (maintenance, electrical, grounds, IT etc) would have loved if things were always easy to lay out for maintenance. But you know, things break unexpectedly, and things wear down, or something happens to require a fix. Then you have to coordinate things with outside suppliers and contractors who can't always tell you 6 months out when they can be ready to go. Its tough, and Disney is no different, it has structures and mechanical things that will break down, and not necessarily when they want them to.

And it being Januaray, yhere is nothing unusual going on there. Almost every time over 20 years that we have gone to Disney in the Fall there has been at least 1 major thing down for rehab and often two or three and soemtimes more. Somethings are done better when they will be less used (see Splash Mountain in a cold month) and others can be done better at other times. In Disney's case, they are doing something year round. Maintenance services try to inconvenience the fewest people but its inevitable that you will inconvenience some, thats unavoidable. Its just the way maintenance goes and not somebody having evil thoughts.

Life is a lot easier if you just decide to go with the flow. Life will never be perfect even at Disney. We take the attitude that we are fortunate to be going and we are going to enjoy what we find and we always have a great trip, regardless of what's not there. Life is a lot more enjoyable when you just let it be so.

BigThunderFan
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
At least the TT closure is only six days and not a couple months. :thumbsup:

amd780
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
We take the attitude that we are fortunate to be going and we are going to enjoy what we find and we always have a great trip, regardless of what's not there. I agree - my family and I say the same thing! :mickey:

Although I must admit, I was quite disappointed when I saw the earlier post that TT (one of my favorites!)is scheduled to be closed in January - thank goodness we'll just miss the closure by a couple of days! :whew:

badkitty
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Didn't Living With the Land just re-open from an extensive refurb?

badkitty
12-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh, and what is Castle Cake?

Touchdown
12-19-2009, 10:06 PM
My first trip to Disney was in January, and Space Mountain was closed, there was no MSEP, Horizons was closed and World of Motion. Because of that I didnt ride SM until 10 years later and have never seen the MSEP, and never rode Horizons or World of Motion.

You go during the offseason and you should expect shorter hours and lots of rehabs. They have to do them sometime, and they generally try to do them when the least people (not to mention the ones paying the least) are affected. Thats the deal you make scheduling during the off season, especially January. Its people like you complaining which has kept Disney from doing those needed rehabs and scheduling them during the peak seasons when the parks physically cant handle rides being shut down. My family choose to deal with the crowds of busier times instead of miss attractions, maybe yours should to. Oh and FYI Ive been to Disney 4 times in my life and am going for the 5th time later this year.

disneykid@hrt
12-19-2009, 10:32 PM
No!! Not Test Track!! Now I'm peeved. It closes for refurb the day we planned on hitting Epcot!

The castle refurb starts on my MK day. :(

I agree that they should post these things well in advance. I would have planned our trip for a few days earlier. We have known about SM for quite some time. Bigtime Bummer.

minnesotafreeze
12-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh please. Like they have time to do that. ANd why would they look at customers like that.

I completely agree they are not out to get people. The reason Disney World looks fantastic is because they do maintenance. Would people prefer they skip the maintenance and let the parks get run down?

12-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Still waiting for a link to an "official Disney site" that lists this refurb. I've talked with several managers and they have heard "rumors" to some work being done, although they have not heard any date at this time and would like to see an "official" statement to this. Not saying that it is not true, just saying that many would like to see it from an "official Disney site" listing.

FWIW: the front of the Castle area is usually closed sometime in January for a while almost every year as the "show stage" has to have work done on it as it is of wooden construction and some pieces need replacement.

cer
12-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh, and what is Castle Cake?

Google it!

Disney World Castle Cake Image....

It may also appear if you google the word "hideous" :blush:

Yup. I will take a refurb. ANY DAY over the cake castle.

OR the Stitches Great Escape castle...

dumbo_buddy
12-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Gator, i understand that you're disappointed that some attractions will be closed and the castle will be worked on...but PLEASE try not to let it ruin your trip. we're going in january as well and while it stinks that some things will be closed, i'm just thinking to myself how WONDERFUL it will be to be in DISNEY! just think of EVERYTHING else that will be open!!!!

it'll be great!

just think, you'll be in disney world in about a month and you'll be so happy you're there with your daughter!

goofyskier
12-20-2009, 09:18 AM
My first trip to Disney was in January, and Space Mountain was closed, there was no MSEP, Horizons was closed and World of Motion. Because of that I didnt ride SM until 10 years later and have never seen the MSEP, and never rode Horizons or World of Motion.

You go during the offseason and you should expect shorter hours and lots of rehabs. They have to do them sometime, and they generally try to do them when the least people (not to mention the ones paying the least) are affected. Thats the deal you make scheduling during the off season, especially January. Its people like you complaining which has kept Disney from doing those needed rehabs and scheduling them during the peak seasons when the parks physically cant handle rides being shut down. My family choose to deal with the crowds of busier times instead of miss attractions, maybe yours should to. Oh and FYI Ive been to Disney 4 times in my life and am going for the 5th time later this year.

Correct me if I am wrong but, I don't think the ticket price is any less expensive in January than it is in July. To say that we should expect to get less and pay the same just because there are less people attending is just ignorant.

CanadianWDWFan
12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Moderator Alert

Folks lets keep the personal attacks out of this thread. Let's keep to the OP's original thoughts.

A Big Kid
12-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Count me down as one who is furious. Disney promotes a big event - the Disney Marathon Weekend for 365 days. They know, in fact they count on, attracting large crowds. Then when the hook is set and the fish are reeled in, they wait until the last minute to anounce refurbs right during that time period.

I purposely waited as long as I could this year to sign up for the Marathon just to avoid major attraction refurbs. After I waited until the run was almost full (94% registration), they go and announce the closing of two headliners right during that time period. And not just that, TT rehab is inside of the window where you can get a full refund. Devious, to say the least.

This is not the first time they have pulled this. The should not advertise big events a year in advance and then at the last minute, throw in a major refurb or two.

The Marathon Weekend is on the 9th and 10th and TT refurb starts on the 11th! MOst people stay at WDW after the marathon so postponing the shennanigans until the 15th or later whould not have hurt anything and would have helped a lot.

And they wonder why my trips keep getting fewer and father in between.

Jared
12-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I understand everybody's frustration but believe it to be unfounded. Extensive closures are common this time of year. When you make the conscious decision to visit during offseason, you know when you book that you are risking attraction rehabs and shorter hours. If seeing a major ride down will ruin your vacation, no one is stopping you from braving the crowds at other parts of the year. Don't forget that you are paying less for flights and accommodations during the offseason, so it is perfectly justified you receive less in return.

I am traveling down there Jan. 13-18 and could not be more excited. Splash Mountain closed? It's chilly in January anyway. No perfect view of Cinderella Castle? Fortunately, I've seen it before and will see it again. I sympathize with the people who may be making their first trip to Disney and are not getting the full experience, but I guarantee you they will still have a wonderful time, because they will simply be thrilled to be in Disney World.

Maybe we can all learn from them.

Touchdown
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Ticket prices may not be cheaper, but flights and hotels are. You are paying less for your vacation in January vs. peak times.

A Big Kid
12-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I understand everybody's frustration but believe it to be unfounded. Extensive closures are common this time of year. When you make the conscious decision to visit during offseason, you know when you book that you are risking attraction rehabs and shorter hours. If seeing a major ride down will ruin your vacation, no one is stopping you from braving the crowds at other parts of the year. Don't forget that you are paying less for flights and accommodations during the offseason, so it is perfectly justified you receive less in return.

I am traveling down there Jan. 13-18 and could not be more excited. Splash Mountain closed? It's chilly in January anyway. No perfect view of Cinderella Castle? Fortunately, I've seen it before and will see it again. I sympathize with the people who may be making their first trip to Disney and are not getting the full experience, but I guarantee you they will still have a wonderful time, because they will simply be thrilled to be in Disney World.

Maybe we can all learn from them.

No. You dont understand my frustration.

Disney created a magnet to attract guests - The Disney Marathon Weekend - only days after the prior marathon is complete. That is a whole year. They know the dates. It stands to reason that if they are creating a magnet to attract tens of thousands of guests to specific SCHEDULED event, they should not do anything to detract from that SCHEDULED event.

And the larger problem lays in the fact that they dont publically schedule refurbs during that SCHEDULED event until the last minute. :thedolls:

Have you ever signed up for the Disney Marathon? Disney should be more up front and tell everyone that when they arrive, that specific major attractions will not be operating. Instead, either on purpose or because the left (maintenance) hand doesnt know what the right (marketing) hand is doing refurbs are announced at the last minute after plans have been made, money has been paid and airline tickets are booked. :mad:

badkitty
12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
What I don't understand is why the refurbs are announced last minute. I would image that it takes a lot of planning (and budget) to execute a refurb of any magnitude so management must know the schedule far in advance.

BigThunderFan
12-20-2009, 01:05 PM
And the larger problem lays in the fact that they dont publically schedule refurbs during that SCHEDULED event until the last minute. :thedolls:

Instead, either on purpose or because the left (maintenance) hand doesnt know what the right (marketing) hand is doing refurbs are announced at the last minute after plans have been made, money has been paid and airline tickets are booked. :mad:

I agree with this post. The problem most of us are having on this board, and while avoiding any personal attacks, is that we PLANNED our trip on the information we had several months in advance. The fact that so many refurbs have been announced recently (inside our 45 day window) is extremely aggravating. We knew about Splash Mountain, and while sad, we still went ahead knowing we would miss this. However, now those closures are starting to add up.
To say those of us traveling in January deserve less is ignorant. Unfortunately some people can't afford to travel during peak times, does that mean that because they can't afford more expensive tickets that they don't deserve to have the full experience? And I have priced both times, our flight tickets were more expensive in January than they would have been in June. Sure the rooms are a little less, but we also deal with shorter hours and park tickets are EXACTLY the same. Rationalize that. Based on previous posts rationalization, then ticket prices should be lower because hours are shorter and more attractions are closed. Disney does not control airline costs or outside hotel prices, so your rationalization of those traveling at off-peak times deserving less is busted.

Most of us would not be upset if we KNEW when we were planning that so many things would be closed. This is such a huge trip for most people that you have to plan very far in advance. And while I know that not every refurb can be planned out far in advance due to maintenance issues, so many announced at the last minute is aggravating. Sorry for the long post, had a lot to say, and I apologize if I upset anyone, that was not my intent. :thumbsup:

Darbylew
12-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I have been in January and the crowds aren't
bad. The only thing is that they seem to close
things for rehab during that month and of
course the parks aren't open as late as I would
like them to be. :mickey: Going back in May!!!

JPL
12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Historically Splash always closes in January for it's annual refurb so a little research would have alerted most people to that. As for the other rides January through Spring Break Crowds is prime refurb time for WDW. It's the lull between crowds so basically any attraction that needs a refurb will mot likely be scheduled during this time. it has been going on for years. This is nothing new so I don't understand why it is surprising anyone:confused: I understand the frustration it can cause but it should be expected during this time frame.

rubato
12-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree that it's the fact that they wait until the last second to announce it. I knew Splash was going to be down again (3rd trip without it. Son and hubby have never ridden it.). I am fine with that because it was announced when I planned my trip. I hear this week for the first time that the castle is going to be refurbed while we're there, and, I'm sorry, but it angers me. The castle is the iconic disney. It is the first thing I see and it brings tears to my eyes every time I go. I would have planned my vacation for another time had I known. But, as of today, we're 30 days out and I'm stuck.

Is Wishes still happening? If so, how?

mom2morgan
12-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Google it!

Disney World Castle Cake Image....

It may also appear if you google the word "hideous" :blush:

Yup. I will take a refurb. ANY DAY over the cake castle.

OR the Stitches Great Escape castle...

Just goolged them - LOL!! Yeah, neat novelties, but I prefer the classic.

Daisy'sMom
12-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow, I can't believe everyone is so upset. It's to bad that certain attractions and rides have to be closed when a trip is planned, but it's not like there won't be anything to do. Isn't there enough stress in life without getting worked up about a ride? At least you will be at Disney, sucking in that Disney air.:mickey:

A Big Kid
12-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, I can't believe everyone is so upset. It's to bad that certain attractions and rides have to be closed when a trip is planned, but it's not like there won't be anything to do. Isn't there enough stress in life without getting worked up about a ride? At least you will be at Disney, sucking in that Disney air.:mickey:
I understand why I am upset. I believe Disney purposely waits until the 45 day rule is in effect to tell you that your vacation is going to be negatively affected. To be sure, I view it as the old bait and switch and I don't like it.

goofyskier
12-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Historically Splash always closes in January for it's annual refurb so a little research would have alerted most people to that. As for the other rides January through Spring Break Crowds is prime refurb time for WDW. It's the lull between crowds so basically any attraction that needs a refurb will mot likely be scheduled during this time. it has been going on for years. This is nothing new so I don't understand why it is surprising anyone:confused: I understand the frustration it can cause but it should be expected during this time frame.

If you only include recent history then yes, Splash always closes in January. Three or four years back this was not the case. Also, what bothers me more is that in the last three years it as always been January. Why not close from after Thanksgiving until before the Christmas rush? Why not February? It should not be that individuals who can only vacation during the month of January are penalized (yes penalized) because a multi billion dollar company seems unable to properlly schdule down time for its ride.

goofyskier
12-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Ticket prices may not be cheaper, but flights and hotels are. You are paying less for your vacation in January vs. peak times.

Again, you are paying less for your Hotel Room and Airfare but, the ticket prices are the same. If Disney offered an off-season rate park ticket than I would conceed to your point but, the ticket rate is the same so why should I expect any less of an experience that someone that goes in July? Last I noticed, people do not go to Disneyworld to sit in an overpriced Hotel room.

Melanie
12-20-2009, 05:28 PM
To me, it's a toss-up. Would I rather go in July when everything is open (+) but have to deal with the masses, pay more and not to mention the heat and humidity (-)?

Or go in January when travel and hotels are cheaper, light crowds and milder weather (+), but a water park and some attractions/hotels/restaurants are under refurb (-)?

For me, January usually wins out, with no complaints.

And a quick comment on the poster commenting on scheduling rehabs around marathon time - my DH has ran the marathon twice, and we've stayed the week after both times. I've been to WDW during many different times throughout the year, and the week post-marathon is by far the best week crowd-wise we've ever experienced. From my own observation, and from others experiences I've read, crowds are barely impacted by the marathon, even on the actual marathon weekend itself.

Gator
12-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow, I can't believe everyone is so upset. It's to bad that certain attractions and rides have to be closed when a trip is planned, but it's not like there won't be anything to do.

It's the Castle, man. THE CASTLE. The #1 photo spot, the icon of the whole resort, the most beautiful thing at WDW....and it's being refurbed while we're there. Plus they announce this 26 days before it happens. I'd say that's grounds for being upset.

A Big Kid
12-20-2009, 06:18 PM
That was me talking about the marathon scheduling. I understand your point, but you don't really know how much slower it would be without the marathon folks there. And I stand by my point that if you schedule a marquee event, you should schedule your refurbs AROUND that event, not during that event.

Melanie
12-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I understand your point, but you don't really know how much slower it would be without the marathon folks there.

You are absolutely right (who could?), but seriously, I can remember being all the way back in World Showcase looking from Germany towards Japan and seeing maybe 10 people. It's empty and wonderful!!! I'd go that week every year if I could. :cloud9:

Oh, and there are marquee events all year round. How do you decide which one to schedule a refurb around? It's impossible to please everyone.

I will say I can see the complaints about the short notice. That would probably upset me as well. But we really have no idea what all is behind those decisions, and they are under no obligation to tell us.

Giggy
12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
It's understandable that people are disappointed. Maybe the reason behind short notice closures is due to unpredictability of schedules. They will know the general time that they will probably be closing attractions but depending on other schedules in the parks the days will vary to a certain degree. If so then it could be a case of saying nothing until they are certain. The alternative would be giving specific dates, then dealing with even angrier guests if these turn out to change after people had booked around them.

Just taking an educated guess here, I could be completely wrong.

Strmchsr
12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
You know, it all comes down to attitude. I'm going to be there Jan 10-15 which means that my 2 boys' favorite things (Test Track and Crystal Palace) will be closed, plus Splash and the castle. I suppose I could choose to throw a tantrum and be all mad and think my trip is ruined, but what's the point? Those things are great, we enjoy them, but there's a lot more to enjoy. I can have my family's pic made in front of lots of other things. It's a good chance to teach my boys that things aren't always perfect, but we have fun anyway. What's special to me are not the rides and the pics, but the time I have with my family and seeing the joy of being in Disney World on their faces. Everything else is just icing.

goofyskier
12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
You know, it all comes down to attitude. I'm going to be there Jan 10-15 which means that my 2 boys' favorite things (Test Track and Crystal Palace) will be closed, plus Splash and the castle. I suppose I could choose to throw a tantrum and be all mad and think my trip is ruined, but what's the point? Those things are great, we enjoy them, but there's a lot more to enjoy. I can have my family's pic made in front of lots of other things. It's a good chance to teach my boys that things aren't always perfect, but we have fun anyway. What's special to me are not the rides and the pics, but the time I have with my family and seeing the joy of being in Disney World on their faces. Everything else is just icing.

I don't think people are so mad over the fact that the refurb is going on rather, I think they are mad over the timing of the announcement. Considering that they had to have a special scrim made to cover the Castle; they could have planned / announced this much earlier and thereby allow vacation planners to decide if they want to go during the planned down time or wait. Same goes for Test Track and Spalsh. Were expected to pay in full at the 45 day mark. We should expect Disney to have all planned refurbs announced by the same time. Yes I know that there will be un-planned closers due to un-expected maintanace issues but, that should be the exception not the rule.

Strmchsr
12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Were expected to pay in full at the 45 day mark. We should expect Disney to have all planned refurbs announced by the same time. Yes I know that there will be un-planned closers due to un-expected maintanace issues but, that should be the exception not the rule.

I definitely agree with that, and folks should send in letters to Disney saying such. Hopefully they'll listen. If laid out as you just did, and not "you awful people ruined my vacation" then I think they are more apt to listen.

MushuGrl
12-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Somebody asked, and I was told Wishes would go on as normal. A call to Disney Dining also confirmed the only restaurant being renovated is Crystal Palace, so all of us with ressies at CRT are safe as well.

ChipNDale79
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
wow, i cant believe the amount of people that are upset about things being closed so that disney can maintain their infrastructure.

If Disney does not maintain their attractions then I for one personally would not ride their rides for safety reasons. For parks that are open 365 days a year, then you must understand that things are going to be closed for extended times so that the rides can be worked on.

Everyone on this board loves going to disney, if things werent closed every now and then, then Disney would turn into your run of the mill amusement park and would not be the standard for the industry.

Space Mountain and Living with the Land were closed the last time my wife and I went, but neither one of us were upset because we understand thats the nature of having a park that is open year round.

Gregandmel
12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Kind of unrelated - by my co-worker went to South Dakota last year specifically to see Mount Rushmore and get that "iconic" photo in front of it. When they got there, a huge blue drape of some sort was covering up one of the President's face. And this was during the summer!!! So - refurbs and rehabs happen all the time....no matter where you go.

Gregandmel
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh - and another thing - my VERY FIRST trip to WDW was back in the summer of 1997 - with a picture of us in front of the CASTLE CAKE. I had been dreaming of the picture in front of Cinderella's Castle and got icing and gummy drops instead! :D

Ian
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I can definitely see both sides of this argument, but at the end of it all as someone who almost always goes during the slow times of the year I pretty much expect certain major attractions to be offline for refurbs. As others have said, they have to take them down sometime and the slowest seasons are the most logical times to take them down.

Regarding the timing of the announcements ... I think folks are giving Disney a little too much credit. I suspect things get scheduled on pretty short notice around there.

rubato
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, when all is said and done, I'm going to Disneyworld and I will have an amazing vacation. Castle or not. I finally got the nerve to tell my husband everything that has recently been announced. He told me that we can either cancel our vacation or have a great time. I picked have a great time. I will miss Crystal Palace, Splash Mtn. and the perfect castle picture. I've never done Living with the Land, so I guess I won't know what I'm missing. I'm hoping Test Track will be open by the time I get there, but if not, I've ridden it about 20 or 30 times, so no biggie.

I would rather take my vacation during the slow season and be able to breath and take life easy.

A Big Kid
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
wow, i cant believe the amount of people that are upset about things being closed so that disney can maintain their infrastructure.
If Disney does not maintain their attractions then I for one personally would not ride their rides for safety reasons. For parks that are open 365 days a year, then you must understand that things are going to be closed for extended times so that the rides can be worked on.

Everyone on this board loves going to disney, if things werent closed every now and then, then Disney would turn into your run of the mill amusement park and would not be the standard for the industry.

Space Mountain and Living with the Land were closed the last time my wife and I went, but neither one of us were upset because we understand thats the nature of having a park that is open year round.

You are still not getting it. I dont think any reasonable person is against refurbs. What bothers people is #1) Waiting until the 45 day mark to announce the refurb. #2) Announcing a refub inside the 45 day mark and inside a scheduled event.

I want to make an informed decision when I am spendng my hard earned money. Whether it is paying for a college education or my vacation, I want to get what was adverstised. Dont advertise, take my money based on a deadline, then inside the deadline, change your rules.

At the very least, Disney should announce not less that 60 days out, a refurb.

TheVBs
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I think a lot of posts must just be getting skimmed and not read throughly.

1. No one is saying refurbs shouldn't happen.
2. No one is saying it's unreasonable for refurbs to happen off-season.
3. It's been suggested that, if possible, WDW could stagger refurbs instead of always having, for example Splash Mtn. down in Jan.
4. Not everyone has an extensive history with WDW rehab schedules.
5. Most importantly (I think), someone has suggested that WDW announce all refurbs (when possible, obviously they could get surprised too) prior to the 45 day cancellation window.

I don't think anyone's being unreasonable here. I do appreciate the other side of the discussion as well, as we try to just be grateful that we get to be there and can live with missing out on a ride or two. However, it's easy to have that attitude if you get to go somewhat regularly. And by regularly, that means every 2 years for us. So, let's all try to be understanding of everyone's frustrations and point of view! :mickey:

And apologies to Rusty for stealing his format. :blush:

Melanie
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I think a lot of posts must just be getting skimmed and not read throughly.

1. No one is saying refurbs shouldn't happen.
2. No one is saying it's unreasonable for refurbs to happen off-season.
3. It's been suggested that, if possible, WDW could stagger refurbs instead of always having, for example Splash Mtn. down in Jan.
4. Not everyone has an extensive history with WDW rehab schedules.
5. Most importantly (I think), someone has suggested that WDW announce all refurbs (when possible, obviously they could get surprised too) prior to the 45 day cancellation window.

I don't think anyone's being unreasonable here. I do appreciate the other side of the discussion as well, as we try to just be grateful that we get to be there and can live with missing out on a ride or two. However, it's easy to have that attitude if you get to go somewhat regularly. And by regularly, that means every 2 years for us. So, let's all try to be understanding of everyone's frustrations and point of view! :mickey:

I can assure you I'm not skimming any responses, and believe me when I say I do feel the frustration. When planning my first trip to Tokyo Disney Resort, I was very disappointed when I found out there would be no less than 3 major, major attractions down during our trip. But it was still a trip of a lifetime!!

I do think there are some who are not as understanding as others of the fact that more refurbs take place in the offseason. I don't think acceptance of this fact is an attitude, it's just dealing with reality. An unfortunate reality, but a reality nonetheless.

g8rgirl29
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Last year when we took DD, about a month before we went we sat her down and let her watch Swiss Family Robinson and told her all about the tree house. Mind you Disney did not have it listed as being closed for refurb. We got there with DD very excited to go check out this tree house and it was down for refurb, very hard to make a 4 yo understand but we went with the flow. I learned the lesson to never take for granted that an attraction will be open and to not build any ride up too much to my child. However, I really get upset that they announce these things at the last minute. I didn't book my Jan 14-17 trip until Dec 5, thinking I had all the information I needed, and everytime I turn around there is a new refurb. I really do understand the need for refurbs and am quite grateful that they take such great care of the rides and the safety of all of us. I just wish that they could schedule these things at least 60 days out.

Gator
12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last year when we took DD, about a month before we went we sat her down and let her watch Swiss Family Robinson and told her all about the tree house. Mind you Disney did not have it listed as being closed for refurb. We got there with DD very excited to go check out this tree house and it was down for refurb, very hard to make a 4 yo understand but we went with the flow. I learned the lesson to never take for granted that an attraction will be open and to not build any ride up too much to my child.

That's how I feel about Splash Mountain. I got my DD pumped up about this ride because she's finally 40 inches. It's my favorite and I know it would be hers. I bought a DVD of Song of the South and had her watch it....and then they say it's closed for two months. Anyone who says I shouldn't be upset has something really wrong with them.

g8rgirl29
12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
That's how I feel about Splash Mountain. I got my DD pumped up about this ride because she's finally 40 inches. It's my favorite and I know it would be hers. I bought a DVD of Song of the South and had her watch it....and then they say it's closed for two months. Anyone who says I shouldn't be upset has something really wrong with them.

I'm sorry, I definitely know how you feel!!

ChipNDale79
12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
You are still not getting it. I dont think any reasonable person is against refurbs. What bothers people is #1) Waiting until the 45 day mark to announce the refurb. #2) Announcing a refub inside the 45 day mark and inside a scheduled event.

I want to make an informed decision when I am spendng my hard earned money. Whether it is paying for a college education or my vacation, I want to get what was adverstised. Dont advertise, take my money based on a deadline, then inside the deadline, change your rules.

At the very least, Disney should announce not less that 60 days out, a refurb.

I understand your frustration.

If your booking a trip any time during the offseason be prepared for some rides to be closed.

You can always call and rebook your trip, i know that if i was as upset as you, id rebook.

Mickey'sGirl
12-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Anyone who says I shouldn't be upset has something really wrong with them.
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't be upset, and I certainly think you have every reason to be. Not everyone knows what will be closed when. My suggestion to you is that because you feel so strongly about this, you should send a letter to Guest Relations at Disneyworld. Explain your frustration that two major highlights for your family will not be available during your trip, and make some suggestions for what they could have done to make this less upsetting to you. They could have listed the refurbs further in advance ... outside of the 45 day window, thereby giving you the opportunity to reschedule your trip.

I know that you are upset, but I hope you are able to concentrate on the other things you will be able to do with your family during your holiday, and I sincerely hope that you have a fabulous time! :mickey:

teambricker04
12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
No. You dont understand my frustration.

Disney created a magnet to attract guests - The Disney Marathon Weekend - only days after the prior marathon is complete. That is a whole year. They know the dates. It stands to reason that if they are creating a magnet to attract tens of thousands of guests to specific SCHEDULED event, they should not do anything to detract from that SCHEDULED event.

Have you ever signed up for the Disney Marathon? Disney should be more up front and tell everyone that when they arrive, that specific major attractions will not be operating. Instead, either on purpose or because the left (maintenance) hand doesnt know what the right (marketing) hand is doing refurbs are announced at the last minute after plans have been made, money has been paid and airline tickets are booked. :mad:

Really... We have done WDW and the Disney Marathon and never felt "decieved" by Disney while they were working on major attractions. If they never worked on them, we would all be going to a different sort of amusement park. There are a MILLION different things to do at WDW and missing one or two rides on a trip doesn't ruin a whole vacation. It doesn't even ruin the marathon.

I don't understand what all the hubbub about a couple of rides being closed or the castle being worked on. We love to see all the Disney magic... including repairs.

As far as the castle... who has ACTUALLY had a great picture taken in fornt of it? I would love tips... my kids are either crying about something, picking their nose, or too excited to look good. Or another guest is in it and being weird. Seeing it is another thing... I agree, but if you have seen it before...

We have never had long waits on any rides in January... But we were at the beginning of the month and plan out the park days based on which are busiest when and avoid them.

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Really... We have done WDW and the Disney Marathon and never felt "decieved" by Disney while they were working on major attractions. If they never worked on them, we would all be going to a different sort of amusement park. There are a MILLION different things to do at WDW and missing one or two rides on a trip doesn't ruin a whole vacation. It doesn't even ruin the marathon.

I don't understand what all the hubbub about a couple of rides being closed or the castle being worked on. We love to see all the Disney magic... including repairs.

As far as the castle... who has ACTUALLY had a great picture taken in fornt of it? I would love tips... my kids are either crying about something, picking their nose, or too excited to look good. Or another guest is in it and being weird. Seeing it is another thing... I agree, but if you have seen it before...

We have never had long waits on any rides in January... But we were at the beginning of the month and plan out the park days based on which are busiest when and avoid them.

You may want to re-read some of the other posts. Specifically the ones about Disney not announcing things until two weeks before a persons planned vacation. When we are expected to pay 45 days in advance of a trip and make our plans based on that same 45 day window, than we should expect that Disney will have all of the planned closures announced by that same deadline. Addtionally, while I don't so much care about the Test Track closeur (except that it was also just announced), I do mind that Splash Mountain has been closed the last three January trips I have made. Disney at the very least should try and rotate the closing time during the other "slow times" and not just assume that closing every January is acceptable. Correct me if I am wrong but, I think they do something similar with the two water parks.

Buttercup
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Doesn't Disney actually say somewhere in the fine print that not all attractions may be available at all times? So it's not really a 'bait & switch' - they are being honest that last minute refurbs may be scheduled. I believe their wording is something like "Attractions are subject to refurb at any time", and therefore you are signing up for that when you book your vacation.
Yes, it would be a courtesy for them to give over 45 days notice for every refurb, but logistically that's not possible. If something breaksdown today, it needs to be fixed asap. If space becomes available with a contractor at the last minute, they've got to take advantage and get that contractor in whenever possible - and that might mean not giving you 45 days notice.

BMan62
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
You may want to re-read some of the other posts. Specifically the ones about Disney not announcing things until two weeks before a persons planned vacation. When we are expected to pay 45 days in advance of a trip and make our plans based on that same 45 day window, than we should expect that Disney will have all of the planned closures announced by that same deadline. Addtionally, while I don't so much care about the Test Track closeur (except that it was also just announced), I do mind that Splash Mountain has been closed the last three January trips I have made. Disney at the very least should try and rotate the closing time during the other "slow times" and not just assume that closing every January is acceptable. Correct me if I am wrong but, I think they do something similar with the two water parks.

As far as the water parks are concerned, they both close over the 'winter' months, but are staggered so one is always open.

Splash has been getting its yearly refurb in January for at least that last 3 - 5 years. Cooler weather and slow crowds makes this the perfect time for it to be down. You don't put the one 'water' ride out of commission during a warmer time of the year if at all possible.

It pays to look at the historical closure listings, whenever possible.

Mickey'sGirl
12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
As far as the castle... who has ACTUALLY had a great picture taken in fornt of it?
I have an absolutely STELLAR photo of my family in front of it. We booked the very first breakfast time at the Crystal Palace on a NON-EMH morning. We were allowed into the park before anything was open, and there was NOBODY about. We took a photo in front of the castle with NOBODY around it of one family, and they did the same for us. Just fabulous... and a good way to get one!

Now back to your regularly scheduled post....

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 09:53 AM
As far as the water parks are concerned, they both close over the 'winter' months, but are staggered so one is always open.

Splash has been getting its yearly refurb in January for at least that last 3 - 5 years. Cooler weather and slow crowds makes this the perfect time for it to be down. You don't put the one 'water' ride out of commission during a warmer time of the year if at all possible.

It pays to look at the historical closure listings, whenever possible.

Nor was I suggesting that they put Splash down during the busy times of the year. What I was suggesting is that they put it down during other slow times which could be February, the time between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas or, after Labor Day. What they should not do is assume that anyone who comes in January will not want to ride this ride ever and as a result close it every January. Also, FYI - you may want to check the recent historical closing of Splash compared to the historical closing of Splash going back 10 or 15 years. Prior to about three years ago it did not close every January.

Also, I am well aware that they stagger the closing of the Water Parks but, from what I understand is, if Blizzard Beach is closed in December of 2009, it will be open in December of 2010 and Typhon Lagoon will be closed.

seanyred
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Nor was I suggesting that they put Splash down during the busy times of the year. What I was suggesting is that they put it down during other slow times which could be February, the time between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas or, after Labor Day. What they should not do is assume that anyone who comes in January will not want to ride this ride ever and as a result close it every January. Also, FYI - you may want to check the recent historical closing of Splash compared to the historical closing of Splash going back 10 or 15 years. Prior to about three years ago it did not close every January.

But if they close Splash during the months you suggested then there will be other people that will be equally frustrated and disappointed. My point being WDW can not please everyone all of the time. If your traveling during the off-season there should be an expectation that some rides will be closed.

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
But if they close Splash during the months you suggested then there will be other people that will be equally frustrated and disappointed. My point being WDW can not please everyone all of the time. If your traveling during the off-season there should be an expectation that some rides will be closed.

You will not make everyone happy all of the time. I get that. People that visted during the summer were bumbed that Space Mountain was closed. I would have been to. What I am saying is, don't close Splash every January but, rather, stager it. If it is closed in January this year, close it in February next year. If it is closed in February of next year, then close it between the week of Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas the following year. Not matter what they can't make everyone happy but, the way they do it now just makes vacationiers such as myself not want to go there anymore as it seems there attitude is to hell with the January folks as they get a good deal so they should expect less.

Melanie
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
And there will be closures during the peak season as well. Space Mountain was closed all summer!

Melanie
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
If it is closed in January this year, close it in February next year.

It's also closed all of February this year as well.

Seasonscraps
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Of course someone will always be disappointed if a ride is shut down during their visit. But is it unreasonable for Disney to schedule rehabs so the same ride is not closed every January?

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
And there will be closures during the peak season as well. Space Mountain was closed all summer!

As noted, I FULLY UNDERSTAND THERE WILL BE CLOSURES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. Again, what I am saying allong with numerous other individuals that have posted prior is, don't always close one ride every year at the same time of year (i.e. Splash closing in January for the past three years). I guess me and some other will just have to agree to disagree with others on the boards here.

Also, can we please stop with the "January is slow so the experience should be less than it would be in July". I am sure that this is not part of Disney's offical policy on Walt Disney World. If it were January would be even slower.

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Of course someone will always be disappointed if a ride is shut down during their visit. But is it unreasonable for Disney to schedule rehabs so the same ride is not closed every January?

Thank You Seasonscraps. I was starting to wonder if I was typing in Greek or some other language. :blush:

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
It's also closed all of February this year as well.

And your point is???

ChipNDale79
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Come on really? if this attraction is closed for 2 months for refurb, doesnt it makes sense for it to be closed during jan and feb? Its a water ride and those are the 2 coldest months of the year for FL.

Seasonscraps
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Come on really? if this attraction is closed for 2 months for refurb, doesnt it makes sense for it to be closed during jan and feb? Its a water ride and those are the 2 coldest months of the year for FL.

If they can close Space Mountain during the summer, why can't they close Splash Mtn at another time of year? They could alternate the schedule so that people travelling in the colder months can go on the ride sometimes (or just once).

Giggy
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
If they can close Space Mountain during the summer, why can't they close Splash Mtn at another time of year? They could alternate the schedule so that people travelling in the colder months can go on the ride sometimes (or just once).

Splash Mountain is MK's main water ride, you could NOT get away with closing that in the summer unless absolutely necessary. In the winter months half the guests complain it's too cold to get wet anyway. As a result there is less demand for Splash Mountain at this time.

The other reason rides close more during quieter times isn't just upsetting less people that it's closed. If there are more people in the parks it becomes more crowded, though crowds can be offset by people in queues or on rides. Take out a major attraction such as Splash Mountain and the walkways become more crowded, therefore a less pleasant experience for everyone. Space mountain was an exception rather than a rule, the ride was closed for a loooooong time, therefore closing it over the summer was still more viable than losing it over Christmas when the parks are even busier.

Maybe if Splash Mountain had to be closed briefly it could be done between Thanksgiving and Christmas when crowds are lower. If it is a two month refurb the only viable time is January and February.

We aren't regulars though when we visit is generally based on our circumstances that year and selecting our favourite of our available options. As a result we don't seem to get stuck in a loop of certain rides being closed every time.

Seasonscraps
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Splash Mountain is MK's main water ride, you could NOT get away with closing that in the summer unless absolutely necessary. In the winter months half the guests complain it's too cold to get wet anyway. As a result there is less demand for Splash Mountain at this time.

The other reason rides close more during quieter times isn't just upsetting less people that it's closed. If there are more people in the parks it becomes more crowded, though crowds can be offset by people in queues or on rides. Take out a major attraction such as Splash Mountain and the walkways become more crowded, therefore a less pleasant experience for everyone. Space mountain was an exception rather than a rule, the ride was closed for a loooooong time, therefore closing it over the summer was still more viable than losing it over Christmas when the parks are even busier.

Maybe if Splash Mountain had to be closed briefly it could be done between Thanksgiving and Christmas when crowds are lower. If it is a two month refurb the only viable time is January and February.

We aren't regulars though when we visit is generally based on our circumstances that year and selecting our favourite of our available options. As a result we don't seem to get stuck in a loop of certain rides being closed every time.

I didn't say they should shut down Splash Mtn for the months of July & August. They could do Oct-Nov one year, Jan-Feb the next, Mar-Apr the following, etc. I understand they need to coordinate the maintenance schedule with ride loads and park attendence, etc. But it would make sense for someone to say "Hey, we closed this ride three Januarys in a row, let's see if we can avoid doing that again." I really don't think that's unreasonable.

FTR, I think Disney can get away with anything they want to do. ;)

cer
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
So if folks are saying "wet attractions are refurbed in the cooler months and that should be expected," when do they usually take down Kali River Rapids? I have never (in my limited travel during Value Season) experienced that attraction being down in Jan/Feb.

Or is it going down this year?

And while we are at it, let's just hope that Strmchsr has a good forecast for us this year. It was soooo c-c-c-cold last year. I am already stocking up on handwarmers. :thumbsup:

goofyskier
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I think this thread has pretty much run is course. Nothing more will come out of having this open as people either agree or dis-agree on the method of closing the rides during certain times of the year. Hopefully my numerous e-mails to the Walt Disney Company will get them to change thier opinion on this matter in the future.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night :mickey:

Melanie
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
As noted, I FULLY UNDERSTAND THERE WILL BE CLOSURES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.

There really is no reason to yell. :)

As suggested by many prior, everyone adversely affected by these closures should let Disney know how dissatified you are. Contact Guest Relations at [email protected].
As both sides of this argument have been well represented, it's time we move on and plan our vacations accordingly. Thanks for your input everyone! :mickey: